Sweet & Sour

Addicted To Lemons

For the following weeks from that Thursday River would make lunch for Sul Il. The first day he accepted, but soon after he started feeling a bit weird about if. She wasn't his mother and she wasn't his girlfriend. He may come from a different culture, but he knew for sure that friend's didn't do that for each other. So after a few days he started declining. She still cooked lunch despite that and he still decline. River never seemed to be put out because of it though. She would smile as if she understood, left the bag there and walk away. It was a weird routine that she soon developed. She wouldn't even try to converse with him, she was giving him space, but despite that Sul Il thought about the lunch for the rest of the day after she gave it. He wouldn't eat it, but he still thought it was wierd. Others thought so too. He had overhead his classmates on numerous occassions discussing amongst themselves whether River and Sul Il were dating or if River liked Sul Il. Didn't they know she had a boyfriend? Sul Il frowned. If he had a girlfriend he would definately not like her cooking lunch for another man! That morning he spoke to her, surprising River as he kept his voice low and rough. "Don't you have a boyfriend? He wouldn't like this would he?" River blinked in surprised then smiled her same sweet smile. "He knows what I'm like. I love him and I care for others. Don't worry, I don't like you, well not in the romantic sense anyway." Sul Il stared at her, trying to see through her, to read her, but he couldn't get anything past her innocent eyes and childlike smile. Sul Il frowned then, "Look... these lunches make me uncomfortable. Stop making them." River nodded, not look dejected at all. She understood, even she thought it was weird of her to bring him lunch, but she found herself wanting to make sure that the boy knew someone was there to be his friend when he was ready. "That's fine. I understand, I'll stop." She smiled again.

She kept her word. For the rest of the week no lunches were given to him and this time their classmates whispered in wonder if they had broken up or something. Sul Il relally want to friendly tell them to shut the up, but he made himself seem indifferent and got on with his classes. For the few days she hand't given him lunch though she would still make eye contact and smile. She would even give him a little wave. Sul Il wondered how she could smile like that everyday and felt a bit of envy for the fact that she could. He couldn't remember the last time he smiled like that. 

"Class I have an announcement." The class turned their attention to the lecturer who looked at them all steadily. "The yearly project is coming up." Everyone buzzed in excitement while Sul Il frowned in confusion. They had assigments and deadlines, but this is the first he's heard about a project. "This time is slightly different. You will be in pairs." The excitment buzz continued, however Sul Il was anything but. He wanted to protest. Why should he work with someone? He was fine on his own. Before he could the lecturer spoke again. "This makes up most of your grade for this modual and another, so work hard. The project this time is," She went around handing everyone booklets that outlined the project details and had some bits for the students to fill in. "To create your own unique menu for your own imaginary restaurant. You have to make a theme for your restaurant, make a menu, plan expensese and so on. You have to work on it every week and there is a section in the booklet that you will write what you have done each week. I will sign it. Before completing the menu you have to do research on different cultures foods and show evidence that you have done so. You also have to complete a dissertation about what your menu means and represents, why you chose it and so on. Any questions?" People excitedly asked questions and Sul Il found himself putting his hand up. "Do we have to work in teams?" She deadpanned, "Yes." Sul Il sighed while everyone decided who they were going to work with. In no time, River was next to him. "What d'ya say partner?" And nudged him lightly with her elbow playfully. But, Sul Il wasn't feeling playful and scowled, resting his head on the table. Why River of all people? They're the complete opposite. Sweet and sour. Just how are they going to work together?

Sul Il had reluctanly exchanged contact details with River who was forever beaming with her smile. He seriously wondered if her jaw didn't ache from the amount of times she would smile. 

The rest of the day he ignored her. He could already feel a headache coming on. River was just to bright, like she was an actual ray of ing sunshine that kept getting in his eye. He just wanted to bask in his little ball of darkness in peace, but he couldn't even have that. Today, was his last day of peace. 

Later, River and her boyfriend went out for lunch. She excitedly told him about the project and how she is going to do it with Sul Il. Michael smiled, but frowned a little to. "You seem really excited to work with this guy River. Makes me a little jealous." River blushed, but only becuase her boyfriend was jealous. It made her feel both shy and loved that she could evoke that from him. Affectionatly she held one hand while the other went up to his face to his cheek. He leaned into her hand, content with her touch. "I love you silly. I jsut feel bad for hte guy you know? He's always alone and moody. I don't know why he's so... sour. Plus he said he doesn't like sweet stuff. I will change his mind." Michael laughed at his girlfriends feircness. "I know baby. I'm glad you care, but don't let him steal you from me yeah?" River giggled and rolled her eyes. "As If."

Words 1064 Update 31/05/16