We're Just Friends... Maybe Not?

We're Just Friends... Maybe Not?

I was never fond of family gatherings. They’re too boring and there are a lot of nosy relatives who keep talking to you, asking how you’ve been or how you changed throughout the year. I know I sound so anti-social. I’m not, believe me. But I actually don’t have someone around my age in our clan. It’s either they’re older or way younger than I am so that would mean I’d be completely out of place.

 

I’m Park Jinyoung by the way – a handsome 21-year-old college student. I’m currently living away from home due to my studies. I live just a few blocks away from school with my best friend, another handsome man named Mark Tuan.

 

Am I cocky? But it's the truth. Or so we've been told countless times.

 

Mark and I met more than a year ago. He was from the US and at that time he was not that fluent in Korean. Since we are both taking the same degree and since I can speak English, Mark and I grew quite close with each other – he was my Math tutor since I at it and in return, I teach him Korean and tutor him with some other classes.

 

Now enough about me and Mark.

 

So came the day that my eldest sister decided to finally get married and start her own family. I was of course obliged to attend her wedding.

 

I didn’t like the idea at all.

 

Now don’t get me wrong. I love my sister and I am so happy for her. But can still be happy for her even if I don’t attend right? It’s not like the wedding won’t push through if I don’t show up anyway. But my parents insisted me to come despite I told them I can’t coz I have school the following day. Stubborn as always, I still insisted on not coming.

 

“You better be here at your sister’s wedding in two weeks Jinyoung. This isn’t a request!” My mom scolded. They have been calling me nonstop since I told them I’m not attending.

 

“But mom I have school the next day! You seriously want me to skip school for a day?” I told her, rolling my eyes in annoyance. “Not every child in this world had the chance to go to school and here you are, my very own mom telling me to ditch school! How could you!” I dramatically said. Mom and I are always playful like this. I love getting into her nerves coz she goes wild and rants nonstop – it’s an amusing sight honestly.

 

My mom huffed before she replied, “Well it’s not every day your sister gets married you damn brat! I swear I will drag you from there if you still refuse to!”

 

“Mom!” I shouted just as the door to our apartment opened and Mark came in. “You can’t drag me because one, I’m stronger than you. Two, you guys don’t know where I live in the first place and three, well, as if I’ll let you drag me,” I replied sassily. I can imagine my mom’s face all flushed red from irritation.

 

Well, it was all true. I’m sure as hell mom can’t even pull me to my front door. Also, they know I live in an apartment but other than that they didn’t know where my apartment is. None of them visited me before coz they were all busy with work and I’m fine with it. I’ll give them my address if they ask but they didn’t so why bother telling them? I don’t want them telling our nearby relatives to come to visit me often here in my apartment anyway. That would be hella embarrassing.

 

I saw Mark mouth something like ‘have you eaten?” as he passed by me in the living and I shook my head. It was past dinner time already and I kinda fell asleep and only woke up minutes ago to answer my mom’s call. I watched him as he disappeared into his room maybe to change his clothes.

 

“I’m serious here young man. You better get your here for her wedding or god knows what I’d do with you!” she threatened again from the other line.

 

“Mom it’s not like she wouldn’t get married if I’m not there. I’m not the groom for god’s sake! And you know I hate gatherings like that,” I complained, well more like whining childishly actually. She continued scolding me on the phone but my attention was on Mark who emerged from his room.

 

“Alright, alright! I’ll go but!... I’m bringing someone with me.” I said, smirking evilly to my best friend who’s looking at me with a brow raised.

 

Torture – that’s what family events mean to me. But why would I suffer alone when I can drag my best friend and suffer with me? It’s better to share your sufferings with others, right? *evil laugh*

 

-oOo-

 

 

“Who was that?” Mark asked when I sat across him on the small dining table.

 

“My mom,” I said as I grabbed one of the fried chicken wings from the plate. He filled my glass with juice then pushed the plates on the center to share the dinner with me.

 

“Were you fighting over something?” he asked.

 

“Nah, my mom and I never fight. We just like to bicker. A lot.” I smiled fondly at him. “Hey hyung, can I ask a favor?”

 

He looked up from his plate and stared suspiciously at me. Can’t blame him though. We always pull pranks with each other so we’re always cautious when one is asking something.

 

Ignoring his doubtful stare, I said, “Will you accompany me to attend my sister’s wedding?”

 

“Why would you drag me with you? That’s a family event Jinyoung-ah and not to mention your family doesn’t know me at all,” he said, stuffing his face with potato wedges.

 

“Then it’s the right time to introduce you to them! And besides my mom has already agreed to me that I can bring somebody. Please hyung! Pretty please!” I gave him my infamous puppy eyes and pout.

 

He sighed and gave in. I fist pump in the air with a loud ‘yes.’ Ha! I knew he could never resist me.

 

“But you’re making my essay in humanities!” He traded while throwing a tissue at my face.

 

“Sure. Piece of cake.”

 

-oOo-

 

The day of the wedding finally came. Mark and I left the house early in his car coz it would take a few hours to reach our province.

 

I was feeling dreadful.

 

Literally.

 

I woke up with a bad headache due to staying up till the wee hours to finish all my reports. I only slept for about an hour and a half when my alarm blasted off. We showered and changed into our suits before leaving coz I’m certain we will never have the chance to do it when we arrive.

 

The drive was silent. Mainly because my throat was sore and it was killing me. My eyes were close most of the time but I wasn’t sleeping. I’m the type of person who never sleeps while traveling even though I needed sleep so much.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, are you asleep?” he softly asked.

 

“No,” I hoarsely muttered then wince and coughed. Damn, I really hate sore throats.

 

“We’re almost there. I think.”

 

Soon he pulled the car into the parking lot of a resort. We fixed ourselves before getting out of the car.

 

We were walking halfway down the corridor towards the wedding area when I suddenly felt dizzy. My head was throbbing badly and my vision was getting blurry.

 

“Oh god, Jinyoung!” I heard Mark’s surprised voice followed by the feeling of strong arms supporting me. “Are you okay? You almost fell on the floor,” he said worriedly.

 

I dropped my head on his shoulder and closed my eyes, focusing on stopping the world spin around me. Mark's hands abruptly circled me protectively, rubbing my back and holding me up.

 

“Just give me a sec,” I whispered, voice still raucous.

 

Before either I or Mark could move an inch, my mom and my other sister squealed at the end of the hallway.

 

“Oh my god, Jinie is he your boyfriend?!” My eyes widen as I snapped my head towards their direction.

 

“We’re no-” Mark and I instantly defended but were cut off by my mom.

 

“You brat! You never told me you had such a handsome boyfriend! No wonder you don’t want to attend! Were you planning on keeping him to yourself?” she playfully chastised.

 

My face heated up immediately. How the hell did they think Mark was my boyfriend? Oh my god, everybody else’s gonna interrogate me later! Oh god, no!

 

The sudden situation just made my head throb more.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Park. Sorry to interrupt but do you have any meds for headache and sore throat? Jinyoung’s not feeling well,” Mark said softly while still rubbing my back. I could feel the change in my mom and sister’s emotions.

 

“Get some Advil for your brother and bring it to our room,” I heard mom telling my older sister. Then I felt Mark pull away and was replaced by my mom.

 

“Mommy,” I softly said while hugging her. I saw Mark amusedly smirk at me. I glared at him only to groan when my head started pounding again. This was the first time he had seen me with my family thus it’s the first time he’ll be seeing how my family treats me like a baby.

 

“C’mon honey, let’s get you in our room. You still have an hour to rest before the ceremony starts.”

 

Mom ushered us into his and dad’s room in the resort. Dad wasn’t there and mom said he was welcoming the guests downstairs.

 

“Why don’t you lay down for a bit,” Mark told me while he helped me to lie down. Soon my sister came and handed me the Advil.

 

“Baby as much as mommy wants to stay and take care of you, I can’t right now. There are already plenty of guests downstairs,” mom guiltily stated as she comfortingly my hair.

 

“You can go ahead, Mrs. Park. Don’t worry I’ll look after him,” Mark replied.

 

“Oh quit the Mrs. Park young man. Call me mom,” she said as she walked towards the door. “And thank you for looking after him.”

 

“No problem Mrs- I mean mom,” he hurriedly supplied to the smiling woman.

 

“God, I’m sorry hyung! I didn’t think my mom and sister would think that your my boyfriend,” I instantly apologized for the soonest my mom was out of earshot. My throat was still hurting but I felt the need to say those.

 

Mark sat beside me on the bed. “It’s okay Jinyoung-ah. Don’t worry about that.”

 

I nodded, afraid to mutter another word coz my throat hurts like hell. I rolled onto my side, my back now facing him. I could hear Mark taking his shoes off and his tux before lying beside me. He wrapped his arm over me and I can feel myself melt onto his embrace.

 

“You have a fever,” Mark pointed out seconds after then he brought his hand to feel my forehead.

 

I just hummed. I didn’t even flinch from my best friend’s touch.

 

Actually, this skinship wasn’t new to us. We were used to hugging, cuddling, and even kissing each other’s cheeks. Also, Mark has this habit of making sure to sleep beside me when I’m not feeling well. He said he has to make sure I wouldn’t do something stupid when I’m sick. Tsk.

 

With my eyes still closed, I turned around and snuggled closer to Mark. I always believe that Mark’s warmth eases my sickness and worries.

 

We stayed glued to each other for quite a while. Maybe I fell asleep just as Mark was soothingly playing on my hair. However, our peaceful nap was disturbed by the burst of the door opening and a frantic bride striding in.

 

“Oh my god, where’s my baby brother?! Jinyo- oh!” I heard my eldest sister say. I was already awake but I refuse to open my eyes and meet her worried gaze. Then there was silence. I stiffened as I realized she might be shocked with the view of her brother cuddled in another guy’s arms.

 

Reluctantly I wiggled on the bed and detached myself from Mark. I could feel both of them staring at me and as much as I don’t want to face them, I got no choice. Knowing Mark, I’m sure he was both too shy to talk and too mortified coz my sister just caught us cuddling like lovers.

 

“Nuna…” I sleepily called out, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes with the back of my hand. Mark instantly grabbed my hand to stop me from rubbing it too much. He usually does that.

 

My sister sat beside me. Her face is full of worry as she looked into my fever-flustered face.

 

“Mom told me you’re not feeling well,” she started while fixing my messy hair. “How are you feeling now?”

 

Holding onto my throat, I croaked dryly, “A bit fine but don’t worry about me. I don’t want to ruin your wedding by worrying too much over me.”

 

“Are you sure? Mom said you only had a headache, now you have a fever too. What made you sick?”

 

“N-noting,” I muttered. My sister will kill me if she knew why. Mark on the other hand had different plans. He released a sigh beside me and did the explaining.

 

“He was staying up late for the last three days to finish his reports before the wedding. He barely slept,” Mark said softly, I glared at him and he dared glare back at me!

 

I saw my sister smile at Mark as if saying thank you for telling her. She then turned to me who was fidgeting on the bedsheets. “Yah Park Jinyoung! How many times do I have to tell you not to overdo yourself for school! We didn’t send you to college to kill yourself!” she scolded. I remained quiet. I knew better than to talk back when my family goes protective of me.  Mark knew I was upset now and my sister knew that too. I’m not really good at hiding my emotions so I’m sure it was written all over my face.

 

“Look Jinyoungie, I didn’t mean to scold you, okay? I just don’t like it when you neglect your health. I’m just worried. Please don’t be upset,” she apologized as she cupped my face.

 

“I know. I’m sorry,” I softly muttered.

 

I watched as a wicked grin slowly graced my sister’s face. “Another thing baby boy, why didn’t you tell me you had a hella handsome boyfriend! And the way I see it he’s so caring too!”

 

Mark coughed and my eyes widened. Quickly I cleared my throat and sighed. “Yes, he’s my boyfriend or whatever.” Mark’s head snapped towards me upon hearing my revelation. Suddenly a ‘yes’ ringed inside the room. Looking over to the door, which was now wide open, I saw my parents and other sister.

 

“Pay up, old man. Told you they’re boyfriends!” my mom said, she and my second sister extended their palms. My dad snorted as he pulled his wallet and handed the two ladies with 20bucks each.

 

I groaned and slumped back on the bed. The nerve of these guys to make a bet on me!

 

My family approached me and was now standing by my bedside.

 

“You need to get up young man. The wedding will start in a few minutes,” Dad said and he gently pulled me back to sit again.

 

“Oh my god, I need to go then,” my eldest sister said. She stood up and bid goodbye to us before disappearing from the room.

 

-oOo-

 

The event rolled smoothly. Thankfully, I managed to survive the whole ceremony without the whole clan jumping and ambushing me like how they used to. But I couldn’t miss their curious looks too as they watch another gorgeous human being beside me.

 

“Mark,” I called in a raspy voice. We were now walking towards the function hall of the resort where the reception would be. I and Mark decided to let everybody go ahead first before following.

 

“Yep? What’s wrong? Do you need anything? Are you hurting anywhere?” Mark worriedly ranted. As the ceremony progressed earlier, my fever and headache also went with it so naturally, Mark was more worried.

 

I stopped walking and shook my head. “I’m sorry,” I said, feeling guilty as I looked at my best friend.

 

“Why are you apologizing Jinyoungie?” Mark asked. He approached me and stood closer.

 

“Sorry I told my family that you’re my boyfriend. It’s just that saying yes was easier than having to explain a whole lot to them,” I explained only to cough roughly after. Mark instantly gave me water and patted my back.

 

“It’s okay Jinyoung, you don’t have to apologize. I honestly wouldn’t want you to explain the whole story of who and why am I with you especially when you’re having a bad sore throat,” he assured me with a smile. I nodded, relief flooding on me that he wasn’t mad with what I said. “Let’s get going, shall we… baby boy?” He teased and I glared at him.

 

-oOo-

 

Three weeks after the wedding everything seemed to have changed between me and Mark.

 

I admit I was avoiding Mark and I can say he knew that. We would only exchange short conversations like ‘I’m going out,’ ‘have you eaten?’ ‘I’ll be home late and whatnot. Why was this happening? Well, it’s all my family’s fault!

 

It was Friday and I was on my way back to our apartment. As usual, I was pulling some ninja moves to avoid my best friend. I hid behind the wall and peeked to make sure Mark wasn’t in the hallway before I dash.

 

“Why are you hiding from me?” a deep voice suddenly spoke from behind me. I jumped a few feet away from the sudden assault.

 

“OH, GOD! , you scared me!” I half screamed while clutching my chest. Mark stared at me with brows raised in question.

 

I gulped. “I ah… I’m n-not hiding from you! W-why would I hide from you!? That’s silly!” I replied, voice thick with tension.

 

“I wanna know why too, Jinyoungie. Do you really think you can hide from me? We share the same apartment y’know,”

 

Mark grabbed his hand and started to walk out of the building.

 

“W-where are we going?” I nervously asked. My eyes glued on mine and Mark’s entwined hands.

 

“Home, of course. We need to talk,” he simply stated. Knowing that I couldn’t win against him, I let him drag me out of the school and to our apartment.

 

Soon as we stepped into the apartment, I scrambled towards my room, eager to get away from Mark. Thankfully he didn’t follow me.

 

I changed my clothes and threw myself on my bed. About 10 minutes later I heard the lock on my door clicked and I could hear Mark sliding inside the room.

 

I shut my eyes immediately, pretending to sleep. I was curling on my bed facing the wall with my back on the door. Mark approached the bed and I felt the bed dip as he sat beside me.

 

“I know you’re not sleeping Jinyoung,” he said. He got no answer.

 

Sighing, Mark lied behind me. He wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer.

 

Panic was seeping through me and I couldn’t help but stiffen when Mark hugged me. As the silence continued my tension and

 

“What’s wrong? What have I done for you to avoid me? Tell Jinyoung-ah. You know I hate being ignored especially by you,” Mark softly spoke.

 

A few minutes passed and still, I stayed quiet. However, the longer the silence the bigger the tension and fear I felt. I didn’t realize I was already crying. My chest was heaving as I tried to contain myself from my frustrations.

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Mark perched up and tried to take a glimpse of my face. “Jin-”

 

“I’m sorry!” I wailed as I abruptly turned around and buried my tear-stained face on Mark’s chest.

 

“Hey, hey, calm down. Why are you crying?” Mark held me tighter. His hands soothingly playing on my locks to calm me.

 

“I d-didn’t mean to, I promise I didn’t!” I sobbed. Mark was probably puzzled as to what was the matter with me. I’m sure he was both worried and curious.

 

“Sshh, it’s okay. Calm down and tell me what’s the problem.”

 

After a few moments of sobbing, I was finally able to get a grip of myself.

 

“After the wedding, my family keeps on calling me. They… they were asking about you…” I started. My face was still hidden on Mark’s chest. “They were telling me how sweet and caring you are and how lucky am I to have you. And since then…” I paused.

 

“Continue Jinyoung-ah,”

 

“Since then I can’t help but notice all the things they kept telling me. Like how handsome you are, how beautiful your eyes and your smile, and more. After some time I felt something that I think I shouldn’t feel so I started avoiding you. Maybe everything will just be back to the way it should if I do that. I’m sorry Mark, I didn’t mean to hurt you. I was just scared and confused,” I finally confessed along with my soft sobs.

 

I watch as the cogs on Mark’s brain were seemingly working overtime to process what I just said. Seconds after, a light bulb blinked on his head and it was reflected in his eyes.

 

“You’re in love with me?” he asked, feeling both shocked and… happy?

 

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to! I’d understand if you decide to leave and move away from me. I’m sorry.”

 

I turned away and hugged my pillow. I was silently crying coz I was sure I had lost my best friend. It was so stupid of me to tell them that Mark was my boyfriend. If I didn’t do that I was probably saved from my current dilemma. 

 

But instead of Mark leaving as I expected him to do, I felt two strong arms pulling me again. I instantly looked back, face full of confusion and relief as well.

 

“Why are you still here? I thought you’re gonna leave me,”

 

“How silly of you to think I’ll leave you! I won’t, I promise,”

 

“You’re not disgusted with me?”

 

“Why the hell would I be disgusted with my best friend?”

 

I couldn’t answer that. And I was just laying there, completely unsure of how to proceed with our relationship. Are we back to being best of friends? Is Mark gonna draw lines to which I shouldn’t cross while having our daily routines? Was it even alright for me to continue falling in love with Mark?

 

And as if Mark knew what was running in my head, he softly stated, “I don’t mind you having those feelings for me Jinyoung. I honestly like you too. Maybe not as much as you like me for now but we can work it through. After all, your parents approve of me already, right? Then just let me learn to reciprocate every single affection you have for me, can you help me do that?”

 

Hesitantly, I rolled to my other side to shyly face Mark. I didn’t dare look him in the eyes though. Instead, I slowly nodded.

 

Mark suddenly cupped my face and dropped a kiss on my forehead.

 

“Now let’s take a nap. You must be tired. We’ll just order something for dinner later,” He stated as he brought my head to his chest and rub my back.

 

And for the first time in three weeks, I was able to genuinely smile again. The feeling of being held by these arms that I have grown to seek when I’m down was more than addicting now. Especially now that I knew I had the chance to finally call the owner of these arms mine.

 

If before, when I and Mark cuddle like this, I’d tell myself that ‘we’re just friends,’ but starting this moment ‘maybe we’re not… definitely we’re more than that.’