You are my reason

You are my reason

 

He sat down on the chair after organizing some books on the bookshelves, eyes looking at the door then down his watch. It was 5PM already, and the bell signaled the end of the class would ring at a few seconds later. The guy flashed a smile to himself when he opened a random book to read. He was in the good mood, he just finished his final test and the score was worth waiting for. Last day of his final exam meant time to say goodbye with his part-time job during university had already come.


The guy raised his head when he heard a sound of door being opened. It was an old lady managing the library he was sitting in, meaning she was the librarian of that place, maybe just back from a tea party with her friends as usual.


“Seunghyun?” She called, putting her bag on the plain wooden table next to the door. “It’s been a long time since I last saw you.”  


“I just had three days off, Sammy, to take the test. And I don’t think we could call three days ‘long time’” He spoke while closing the book in front of him, halfly because it was not as interesting as how he expected. Besides, talking to her was funnier, he always liked making conversation with her.


“After having seen you almost everyday since you registered to work here, three days are really long.” The lady replied as she reached into her bag to find something, “And I have a thing for you.” then threw him a paper pack. At that moment, she looked like a grandma giving gift to her child.  


“Thank you.” Seunghyun smiled back to her when he caught the pack perfectly. It was definitely a  nice piece of cake – she took it from the tea party – inside, he had already known what the thing was before opening it. Nah, he would save it for later, because the second important rule was ‘no eating in the library’ and he could never resist that kind of sweet treat if he opened the pack.


“So today is the last day you work here right? Have you prepared your last farewell to this place yet?” The lady asked as she turned the computer on. It would take her a few minutes to get ready, that thing was old and even had some bugs. But luckily the programmer did his best to create a management program connecting to the Internet, which could save all its data on there, in case the computer was broken. It had made mistakes several times already.


“Yeah, kind of. I will miss you and this place so much.” He rolled his eyes to look all the library, then stopped at the computer, chuckled. “Even that stupid machine, it pissed me off so many times that I can’t count.”


“It’s not that bad, I told you. Just be patient with it and everything will be fine.” She yelled but he knew she did not mean anything. “And I will miss you too, you absent-minded brat.”


“Assh, I’m not absent-minded, I just forgot to close the window before going home a couple times…”


“On every week, I can say.” She flashed him a smile, still. “By the way, did you tell him today is your last day working here?”


“Who?”


“The boy who comes here every day, don’t pretent that you don’t know you little .”


“Language, Sammy, language.” He mumbled, chuckling before cutting to the chase. “And not yet, I don’t know whether I should tell him or not. We are not that close.”


“You should, and I must go off on some urgent business, you know.” She winked, and yeah, who in that school did not know that she had a date with the old Mathematics professor  every Friday nights, so she had to go home early to prepare.


Seunghyun shrugged his shoulders and she knew it was a ‘okay just go and I will handle it from now’ answer. It was the reason he always came early instead of wandering or going somewhere, waiting until 6, as his shift only started after 6.


“So, bye.” The old lady waved her hand and took her bag with the other. “You have my numbers, and don’t forget to visit here everytime you want.”


“I will.” He smiled to her. “Have a nice date, Sammy.”


“You too.”


“Hey, I told y-”


He tried to talk back but the door had already closed, and Seunghyun could only change his seat to the table with the computer in silence. That old lady would never listen anyone, he sighed before typing his password to login the program, starting his last shift.


The door was opened again while the guy was skimming through the borrowing list. He looked at the person who had just entered, holding his breath for some seconds in expectation but letting it out when he realised it was his friend, Jiyong. Seunghyun greeted him by a light frown. Jiyong’s blonde hair looked ruffled and his clothes was not as perfect as always, did he just fighted someone?


“Returning the book you borrowed last time, Jiyong?” He said when typing the other’s name into the finding bar, reading the result. “You should give it back two days ago.”


“I’m sorry, I was busy these days, you know, there’re too many things to do.” Jiyong stepped forward to give him the book, smiling apologetically then he looked around the library, mind wandering.


Seunghyun took a glance at its name when he took the book, it was not a fashion book as usual but sports one. Golf without fear. Seriously, Jiyong?


“Since when did you start to like sports? I have never seen you into that kind of book.” He chuckled, before standing up to return the book to the self it belonged to. His tone was normal but it still made the blonde jump.


“I just… kind of liking that. I suddenly want to do a research about sport, and a golf book seems… nice.” Jiyong seemed trying to hide his reaction but it was fruitless, his face that moment had the same shade as a tomato.


“Are you sure? So why are you blusing?” Seunghyun mocked his friend.


“I-I’m not, I just, this place today is hot, the air conditioner breaks down or something?”


“Nah, it’s in its best condition. And why don’t you tell me about Riri, your cutie?” He said when stepped to the blond, smirking. “It is clearly a lie, isn’t it? Since when did you think you can lie to your hyung, Jiyong? I have already heard about your friendship with that hot guy who’s an exchange student from Korea a few months ago, and you didn’t see me or Youngbae as much as before since you met him. Actually the boy came here few times to find you. Last time I met him was four days ago, to answer the same question.”


“Really? He was seeking for me? What did you say to him?”


“The truth, that you were chatting with a cute girl on the rooftop. He looked sad that time and stormed out without saying anything.” Seunghyun shrugged his shoulders as if it was nothing to him.


“It’s not the truth, hyung.” Jiyong yelled, kind of wanting to punch his friend in his face. “I haven’t been with anyone since I met him. I have a crush on him, I even try to find some subjects, by reading books, so that I could get into conversation with him but now you ruined it with some lies. So that’s the reason he told me he’s too busy to hang out with me recently. Why did you do that to me, Seunghyun?! I thought you’re my friend.”


Jiyong shouted out loud, almost forgot where he was standing. He seemed waiting for some explanation, but it was only the silence remaining. Seunghyun kept his mouth shut and just walked back to his seat. He took his phone in his hand, tapping it, but Jiyong didn’t seem to care. The blond bit his lips then stormed out the library, acting like the last sentence Seunghyun told him a couple minute ago.


When he heard the sound of door closing, Seunghyun scratched his head and put his phone down. He just finished a record and would be glad to send it to someone who confessed about his crush to him four days ago. The young boy looked red as a tomato back then when Seunghyun asked him why he kept questioning where Jiyong was everytime he met him, not only at the library. Did Seunghyun look like Jiyong’s mother, or did he look like the one who knew everything about Jiyong? He was just his childhood friend and it looked like they were no longer friends since some minutes ago. Jiyong was his best friend and Seunghyun would never want to hurt him, but if he could do anything to make Jiyong and the one he loved together, it was worth it. And maybe Seungri would explain to him after all and Seunghyun would have an apology gift from Jiyong. Maybe, Seunghyun smiled to himself when he typed to the program, confirmed that Jiyong had already given back the book.


Footsteps could be heard from outside to the library. Seunghyun raised his head, just to see a cute boy pecked from behind the door to look around, smiling until his eyes disappeared when he saw Seunghyun.


“Good evening, Sunbaenim.” The boy smiled after bowing his head, reaveling his cute fangs while entering the library. He stepped to Seunghyun to put some books that he brorrowed last time on the table for Seunghyun to check.


“Not again, Daesung? I told you to call me hyung.” Seunghyun scolded lightly with a frown but did not mean it, he looked at the books, typing their names into the computer, chuckling. “You borrowed these books again? You have read them thrice I count.”


“Eh? But they’re intersting, s- I mean hyung.” He replied confusingly but changed the subject fast by taking out a paper cup and gave it to him. “Anyway, I have this thing for you.”


“What is it? Coffee?” Seunghyun asked but still grabbed it. “But the rule said…”


“The last time I checked it just said no eating inside and this is not the first time I bring some drink with me. You never say anything except this time, when I give you this. Or you don’t like coffee?” The boy replied, making Seunghyun surprised, he was not a talkative type but why did he suddenly speak up like that?


“No, it’s my favorite drink. Thank you.”


Seunghyun smiled to him and took a sip to prove his words. The scent of coffee prevaded all the room when he opened its cover. It smelled delicious, he thought and found out that was an espresso with double shots, the drink he liked the best. How did he know that or he just bought randomly? Seunghyun wondered but stopped when the younger looked at him.


“Is it good?”


“Yeah, I like it.”


“I’m glad that you do. By the way, may I stay here to study until half past eight? I have a test tomorrow and-”


“It’s fine, I told you just feel free to stay here studying. The library is built for everyone, you don’t have to ask me to stay everyday, okay?”


“Okay.” The boy smiled before stepped to the table at the end of room, kind of being located straight to his table.


Seunghyun’s eyes glued behind him until Daesung sat down, back against the wall. The boy opened his books and put all his learning tools on the table then his laptop, not looking at Seunghyun once. It was a long distance between them, Seunghyun sighed, tried to look at somewhere else but he could not. His breaths became heavier, his heart beat faster then faster. With only his presence in the same room could make Seunghyun like that, how could he imagine not seeing him anymore? Seunghyun had tried to stop coming here just for three days and he already felt like he was torturing himself, how could he live if he could not meet him ever after?


Seunghyun still remembered the first time they met. That was a boring day and he had to do a lot of homework, not including his essays. The deadline was coming, he had to do them during his working time and was so busy to do his actual job, checking books student borrowed or cleaning booksheves. So he felt a bit upset when someone put their books in front of him, it meant he must stop doing homework and start working. Seunghyun raised his head unpleasantly to see the student, but he only kept that face a second before the other opened his mouth to ask. He is so cute was the thought running through Seunghyun’s mind that moment, and what the boy was saying could never get to his ears.

From that day onward, the boy kept coming to the library almost everyday and because of that, Seunghyun did not use his days off either, unless he was sick. Aside from borrowing books, the boy also used this place to study and his favorite seat was the table with chair against the wall, which was opposite to Seunghyun’s table. After a long time, he found that the boy did not like talking much. It took Seunghyun three months to know his name – Daesung, as he always focused on his stuffs and would only leave his seat once in a blue moon, when he found some books to read. But if Daesung did talk, it always came with a smile. It was the most beautiful thing Seunghyun had seen since he was born. He had already loved to watch the boy reading or doing his homework before he himself could realise. Seunghyun loved the way he smiled while reading story, the way he raised his eyebrow while solving an arithmetic problem, also when he smiled victoriously after solving a hard problem on his notebook. Seunghyun did not know why but he loved to watch him all day. He loved Daesung’s full lips, his aquiline nose and Seunghyun found the other pretty everytime he smiled until his eyes disappeared. It would be embarrassing if the boy knew himself was watched so most of the time, Seunghyun tried to keep his eyes busy with other things. But whenever he took no notice, he still caught himself looking at Daesung unconsciously, as if the boy was always right there where his eyes belonged to. Since three years ago, until his very last day.


Time was passing by so slowly and Seunghyun could not find anything to keep his mind distracted from the other. He was half inclined to speak, but always ended up with the opposite. It was his last day there but his heart still beat as fast as the first time they met. He knew he should do something with his feelings, to rescue his soul from a desire deep inside. It was aching whenever he looked at the boy, but still, he could never have courage to do anything. He was a good friend who always helped his buddies with their stuffs anytime, but in his own problem, he was such a coward. He decided to confess to him a thousand time but when the chance had finally come, he run away. They said if you could not do, so you should forget, but he could not even forget it either. All efforts he made to give up on him grew bigger and bigger after each year passed. And he always found himself trying to implore the librarian, to let him work here another year, although student could only work in library within two semesters. Because he came here everyday that Seunghyun could not leave.


He had thought just looking at him was enough.


But it was not.


Everyone had to make their steps to move on and the graduation just reminded Seunghyun that it was time for him to stop those nonsense feelings. Speak now, or keep silence forever, Seunghyun was still sitting in the fence. He looked at his watch, only one minute remained, the other would leave after that. It was his last chance, Seunghyun gulped dry when the other stood up, started stepping to him and Seunghyun’s heart was beating as if it could jump out of his rip-cage the next second.


“H-ey.” He finally spoke. “Are you leaving?” Of course, he wanted to hit himself for asking that meaningless question.


“Yeah, it’s late already.” Daesung gave him one of his trademark smile. The boy took a glace to the paper cup then the pile of books he gave back some hours ago, but not saying anything.


“Today-” is the last day I work here so I want to ask you a thing. “…is-” Do you want to be-


The sentence was running through Seunghyun’s mind, he had repeated it thousands of times already but saying it out was too hard for him. He wanted to say it, he wanted to say it so bad but when the other looked into his eyes, waiting, there was nothing coming out from his mouth.


“I mean, best luck with your exams!” He smiled widely outside, but inside putting a silent curse on himself.


He was such a coward. A real loser who always run away, did not dare to face to his feeling once.


“Just that? T-Thank you.” The other replied, suddenly mumbled a few words of thanks as he turned away with his bag on shoulder, run out of the room.


There was something weird in the boy’s expression that Seunghyun had never seen before. He thought he had already given up but an unknown thing inside made him stand up immediately and run after him.


The corridor was dark although it still had some lights shined on their way, not much but it was enough for Seunghyun to see the other’s back. His heart was beating so fast and it was faster than ever when he caught Daesung’s arm to stop him.


“Hey, why do you run?” Seunghyunsaid as he pulled the boy to face him but Daesung lowered his head, avoiding to look at him. His reaction hurt Seunghyun a bit, did not know if himself did something wrong.


“Let go of me.” The boy yelled, tried to escape but unsuccessful. Seunghyun’s grip was firm around his wrist.


“No, until you tell me the reason. And look at me, why are you avoiding my eyes?”


Seunghyun held the other’s chin in effort to make Daesung look at him. It was a second before the other turned away but enough for Seunghyun to see his watery eyes. Was he crying?


“Let me go please, if you don’t feel the same as me, just let me go.” His shaking voice made Seunghyun’s eyes widened.


“What?”


“You have seen it right? Those words. But you pretented as if you didn’t, so stop acting like you don’t know anything and let me go.” The boy yelled at him, struggled harder but Seunghyun did not give up.


“I know what? Daesung please tell me there was something I did wrong. I could not stand if you keep acting like that without explaining anything.”


“You really want me to repeat it or just provoke me because I love guys, no, I only love you. I even come here everyday just to see yo-”


The boy could not finish his sentence because his voice was broken. He burst out crying uncontrollably in the other’s arm. Seunghyun was frozen when those words reached his ears. He wanted to speak something to make the boy in his arms calm down but he could not, so he hugged him. He hugged him tight and let the crying boy rested his head on his shoulder, sobbing. His tears was wetting his shirt that Seunghyun felt like the sky was raining outside. He had never dare to think that the one he loved also held the same feeling with him. His mind stopped working but his heart still beat like crazy. He was happy, he was too happy to find the right words to say in that very moment. The guy parted his lips several times but nothing escaped, he just patted the other in silence, waiting until Daesung calmed down a bit.


“I... I want to kiss you like what they always do in this situation, but I don’t know how to do it right so… please stop crying and I will say what’s on my mind.”


Seunghyun could hear the other’s throat swallowed drily before raising his head up to look at him. His tears was falling so Seunghyun wiped them out of his face, starting to speak.


“I love you. Since the moment we first met that I know you’re that person but I was terrified to tell you. I know it’s not fair when you are the one who speaks out first but please understand. And if you think you didn’t hear clearly, I will repeat it. That I love you, I really do.”


Ending up with a smile, Seunghyun looked into the other’s eyes and found his own hands trembling uncontrollaby. Even he could not think that was real, it was too good to be true, but he must force himself to stand straight for the boy crying in front of him.


“You just said that you had the same feeling as me? I- I can’t believe it...”


Daesung spoke in surprise, tears continued their way to roll down his face when the younger was trying to wipe them off. In that very moment, Seunghyun could not help but leaning to plant his lips on the younger’s forehead, then lower on his cheek, kissing him gently to blow those tears away.


“Don’t cry, or I will hug you to death.” He whispered, put his hand against the other’s face, waiting until the sobbing sound stopped. “And could you please answer the question I asked before, why did you run?”


“... You really... didn’t see it?”


“See what?”


“The words I wrote inside the paper cup…” Daesung said in a small voice, did not dare to look up. “I thought you have seen that but ignored because you d-did not like me back so I run...”


“Really? Sorry I was lost in thought so I didn’t drink all or look into it. What did you write?” Seunghyun felt surprised at first but then he chuckled, asked to hear more.


“I-... you can read it later when you turn back…” He muttered confusingly and Seunghyun had to bite his tongue to keep himself asking in normal tone.


“But I want to hear you say it, please tell me what did you write. I was curious.”  


“I- You must promise that you won’t laugh.”


“I promise.”


“It’s… I ... you and do you want to be my-”


Oh gosh the boy in front of him was blushing after cutting himself off with hands hiding his face. Seunghyun did not really see his red cheeks but still found out how cute the boy was and could not help hugging him. He hugged him so tight that the elder could even hear Daesung’s heart beat, it was pounding as fast as his own, as if it could jump out of his ribcage the following second. He heard himself speaking and there was nothing than yes, yes he did, and in million years later he would always say the same word.


The mantle of night was falling when they stepped back the room in silence and Seunghyun’s mind was unconsciously wandering. He wondered if somewhere inside the library had a silly story like the one he just knew. The story told about a guy in a university who always worked in library because he wanted to see a boy who coming there daily. Althought they just allowed him to work for only one year, the guy kept importuning to stay working, without knowing that the reason kept the boy coming everyday during three years,


Was him.

 

---------------

 

I'm so shy to publish it now, this story is so silly but I hope it's good enough for you all, especially my friend who I wrote for :'( 

And, should I write an extra chapter (with both Nyongtory and Todae) explaining something untold here? I still think this story's too silly so I only write if the responses from you all are good.

Anyway, I will appreciate all you thoughts about my story but please don't leave any comment kind of urging me to write Nyongtory just because you're feeling curious. Forgive me if something I just said makes you upset. Finally, thank you for reading this story :)