Chapter One (book one) - "Don't Mess with Derrick Spencer!"

HYD NY: Golden Doors (a Hana Yori Dango fanfiction)

Book One "Don't Mess with Derrick Spencer!" - Chapter One / Teaser

 

1.1. (Tsukushi)

The Pierre.

Everyone seems to be all smiles tonight. Everyone seems to be having a good time. Chatting with everyone they know, they think they know, they pretend to know and they don't really know. Between the young and old, age appears to be petty; nonexistent…

…because at this type of night, each of them seems to know exactly when to whisper, how to giggle and what to talk about after one topic has been exhausted for another.

And so, even through the delightful crowd of the rich, the lost and the powerful, through the infinite noise of the clinking wineglasses, and despite the distracting splendor around her altogether, 17-year-old Briony Mullins wonders how such a place and such beings are possible.

Are all charity events like this? Or is it only in New York City? Especially Manhattan?

Briony's curiosity lingers on as she serves drinks in black fitted slacks and a white blouse under a black buttoned vest. Her light ash brown hair is tied in a neat low bun. A waitress as usual, only this time, at a high-profile setting…

…the cocktail party-sort where elegant gowns only seen in magazines make the entire scene somewhat like a glossy magazine page.

"Oh my God, you poor thing!" a blond female, just about a feet or two away from Briony at the lengthy drinks table, exclaims as she laughs along with a fellow blond. They are laughing at another female friend, who, on the other hand, is pouting like a 10-year-old redheaded brat.

Briony focuses on her fellow server—a male in his early 20s—behind the table pouring another round of drinks in her newly cleaned goblets. But the three girls are just completely far from being obscure to her senses. If these three were attending my school, they would've been worshipped like gods, she imagines. They look good, smell good and sound—

"Rachel, come on, she just transferred, cut her some slack," the fellow blond suggests after catching her breath due to their burst of laughter a second ago.

"I am going to, Kace," Rachel replies. "After what she went through preparing for tonight, oh yes, I AM CUTTING HER SOME SLACK." Turning to the redhead, "You really thought they're going to be here tonight? That's a really nice dress, Kristen, honey, really. It had me wishing the price tag came with a reminder that 'the Four Princes of Manhattan never spend their summer…we-well…in Manhattan,' you know." And she laughs some more…

That it makes the other blonde, Kacey, drop her breather and join the laugh fest. Again.

Kristen looks like she could walk out on them any second now…but, to Briony's stifled amazement, it would not be because she felt humiliated.

"Well, if they're not here…are they at least in New York?" she sounds desperate instead. "Or anywhere in the country? There are 50 states, Kacey!"

"They're in Paris right now," Kacey answers like it's something educational. "Look Kristen, I know you're upset but you have to admit there's only one solution to that, right?"

"What?"

"Be updated!" Rachel answers Kristen's frustration.

"Yeah, sh-she's right, that's…the only thing you can do," as Kacey struggles to suppress her own giggle.

Rachel then looks at the nearest waitress at the moment. "Excuse me? Could you get our friend some Martini please? Or a tea cocktail, if you have any…"

"Sure," Briony alertly responds with a smile, despite the sudden burst of her spectator-bubble. It was like watching some fancy rich kid drama a moment ago. Only her fellow server before her is giving her now a stare that says 'Uhm, hello? They're your age… I'm not going to jail tonight. I'm giving her a milkshake whether she likes it or not.' Fair enough, she turns back to the three girls, ready to tell them her waiter friend here will serve them the drink in a minute. She needs to head back out there in the crowd with her tray of new drinks, but…

"This night is such a waste," Kristen reflects. "So, the Four Princes like French girls? I speak a little French!"

Really now. Briony sighs. After all the gloriousness this place has beguiled her with, she can no longer imagine anything else other than the softness of her old, wooden single-sized bed.

For someone like her, that's what 'looking forward to tonight' really is.

 

1.2. (Tsukushi)

Briony feels like her legs will break into pieces anytime soon if she walks five more blocks further. But she doesn't need to. She smiles at the bus stop sign right next to her, as though it is a friend she has not seen for a long time. Or perhaps, someone she's just met. It's not everyday that she finds herself in the middle of Manhattan, New York.

She can't wait for the sound of the leather seat getting crushed under her weight. Not that she's oversized. She is just so darn sure that once she sits on that bus seat, she will be slumping on it like there is no tomorrow. Well, aside from her bed, that is. This is also something she's looking forward to at the end of each day, especially on a Saturday.

Four Princes… Royalty...in America? For real? How could there be such a thing?

Briony recalls all the fairy stories known to mankind that included princes. Tall, prim, handsome, polite, gallant…

Uhm, what's that word? Va… Valiant! Is that adjective still used even today?

Her old blue jacket can barely protect her from the cold NY breeze. Good thing, the bus going to Sunnyside, Queens, among its destinations, has arrived. Like an early bird, she waits for the door to open in front of her.

They would probably be just the counterpart of spoiled brats in reality.

She climbs up. Finding a complete vacant seat all to herself, she claims it, slumping as planned like it is a bed of lost treasure. Then, a bit of dizziness surges into her head. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath.

If royalty was only defined by braveness and not by bloodline, dad would've been king...

She opens her eyes and the swirling sensation is gone. She checks the time on her fresh-from-yard-sale black leather wristwatch—it's 10:10 pm…

 

1.3. (Tsukasa)

…While somewhere in New York, another person is staring at the time, too. On his very expensive black Chopard wristwatch. A favorite of his, perhaps. But what could be more precious than time?

It's 10:10 pm.

The worry in his eyes is long gone. It has now been replaced by apathy. He had figured much earlier today, that if he was going to escape Paris just to lock himself up in a bedroom in his Manhattan Penthouse away from everyone, Derrick Spencer had better leave all the weight behind. A peaceful sleep is something he can't always afford despite his status in life.

That even the luxury of this vehicle can't give. Even if it's not just some random vehicle but a shiny black limousine…

…about to leave JFK airport in Queens, taking 18-year-old Derrick to his Upper East Side abode.

A castle, a fortress and a prison all at once.

 

1.4. (Tsukushi)

Although life in one of the less affluent neighborhoods in New York is anything but, well, glamorous, Briony loves Sunnyside, Queens to bits. This is where she grew up and learned how to survive in unexpected situations, especially those related to their daily expenses. But it is nothing new. It could break her spirit sometimes, sure, but she got used to it.

It was a brief journey tonight which was pretty odd. A funny feeling surges, like something’s different. Looking tired as she gets off the bus, Briony reminds herself that at least she's home now. And the thought always lights up her soul.

After turning into a bend, she's just a few steps away from a closing flower shop. Jane Urimoto Petals. And in front of it, there is a lovely sight of a little -eyed girl, with short black hair, embracing her white puppy.

"Briony!" the little girl calls out as she waves at her with her other free hand, and Briony waves back, too—

Only at the same time, the puppy suddenly tries to get out of its master's embrace. As though it is sidetracked by something so important it doesn't want to lose. And there, Briony instantly spots a white, filthy, stray kitten with some black spots on the opposite sidewalk. The puppy then successfully escapes the girl's arm to go after the kitten, not minding how a quiet street could become a deadly one.

The 12-year-old girl remains frozen in shock while Briony mindlessly goes after the puppy that has just stepped on the ground. Fortunately, she's able to capture it, just past the center lane.

However, when she looks up, two fast-approaching headlights are ready to hit her. She hears a loud screeching sound and in the next second, she's embracing the clueless puppy in front of a stopped black limo, with her eyes tightly closed, her face full of hope and horror.

 

1.5. (A driver to the Spencers)

It was so sudden he doesn't understand how things can progress from calm to panic in a blink of an eye.

Roger Anderson is one of the new drivers for the Spencer Family. Currently in his mid-20s, he had skipped college, met the girl of his dreams, moved in with her and lost her to a gang of erted teens. A case that hasn't been solved until now and it has been three years. He thought he would work hard and figure something out. In his darkest dreams, he would turn into a powerful, acrobatic vigilante and hunt down those culprits.

But tonight, after believing that he would be able to get an early night off since all the Spencer family members are out of the country, he finds himself passing through Sunnyside, Queens to take his master's sole heir safely back home. And now, this stupid-looking girl in front of the limo has almost jeopardized it.

His foot firm and flat on the brake, Roger quickly opens the privacy window and, in complete worry, asks, "Are you okay, Mr. Spencer? This squirt just sprung up from nowhere and-and-ah, sir? "

 

1.6. (Tsukushi)

Briony slowly opens her eyes and sighs in relief—she's still alive. The blinding headlights make her squint, almost painfully it might just trigger another headache. The adrenaline still has her bones shaking but then, the puppy starts her hand as though it is trying to calm her down. Waking herself up, she hurries back to the flower shop and the limo zooms away.

As the little girl secures her puppy in her arms protectively, "I don't know how to thank you, Briony!"

"Don't worry about it, Jane," she assures her as she gently taps Jane's tiny head and sits on her heel. "I think he got too excited to make new friends in his new home, even with those that are not from…his kind."

"Uhm, Bry…it's a she," Jane corrects her awkwardly.

"Oh, really?" Briony lifts the puppy's left hind leg a little while Jane giggles briefly. Grinning, "Oh, yeah, sorry."

"I just got her today," Jane shares as she secures her puppy to a green leash tied to their steel security door.

"What's her name?"

"Clover."

"Wow, that’s a lovely name."

"Wait here, Briony."

Jane scurries back into their flower shop. When she returns with Clover after a few seconds, she's holding four yellow roses, which she gives to her puppy's rescuer.

"Wow! They're pretty! Thanks, Jane! Wait, is your dad okay with this?"

"Noh prohbrem," a heavy yet funny voice comes out from the shop's doorway.

Briony looks up and sees a pallid square-shaped face with a pair eyes and thin lips. "Oh, good evening, Mr. Urimoto."

"Hart izi good, furenship izi furee," and in the next second, the flower shop owner Mr. Urimoto is back inside.

Beaming, Jane explains, "Like what dad said, Briony, it's a gift."

Then, Briony remembers something. It pinches her heart and gets her excited.

"Jane, do you know what a four-leaf clover represents?" After Jane nods no, "They said that whoever finds this rare plant will have good luck in their lives. One leaf represents faith, the second represents hope, third is love and the fourth is luck. What happened earlier with Clover here, I do believe…she just passed the test and is now qualified to be your good luck charm.” And she watches Jane’s face light up. “From this moment on, this beautiful creature will always be with you and bring you good luck, what do you think?"

"If it wasn't for you, I could've lost Clover," Jane looks up at her with so much gratitude. But then, like an amazing idea has popped into her mind, "Oh! And for that, you'll have a share of this good luck, too! These four roses will-will…stand for it! Like-like…it's their second home! Right!"

“Oh…it's okay. You deserve every ounce of that luck, Jane. Giving Clover here a home”

"Come on, Briony! You deserve it, too! What you did earlier? You're the nicest, bravest person I know!"

Akin to valiant? Yeah, why not?

"Please, please…accept this good luck gift?"

 

1.7. (Spectators)

And somewhere at the heart of the Île-de-France region…is Paris. Zoom further into it and at its own heart is Hotel Ritz, where three elegant, good-looking guys, roughly two years older than Briony, are climbing up the red-carpeted stairs from its modish lobby.

Involuntarily, each in their own signature of tasteful clothing, the three grab attention from everyone they have passed and are passing by while hurrying up the stairs. Especially women.

…young women who are quite aware that a fourth member, one could say their leader, is out of sight. And they wonder where he is.

 

1.8. (Tsukasa)

But more than three thousand miles away from Paris, Derrick Spencer is already safe and sound in a hotel lobby in Manhattan, New York. He heads straight for the elevator, hoping he's literally invisible to everyone.

It's exactly 11 pm on his wristwatch which means it's 5 am in Paris.

I'm sure they're still awake. They must've already figured it out by now, too. It’s just a piece of cake for Howard.

 

1.9. (Rui)

Entering a luxurious suite such as this is not uncommon to these three guys. Even back home in New York, and in some other states in the US, a huge space similar to this is their typical home sweet home.

The last to enter is the one with the lightest brown, medium-length shag. His stance is the mere definition of a quiet soul. He holds the door open, not completely entering, as he waits for his two other friends find what they came up here to look for.

"Derrick?" the other one with the short, neat, deepest brown hair calls, sounding concerned like an older brother. As he proceeds into a room, "Derrick… Yoohoo…"

"Ah—Sjon," the quiet guy by the door tries to catch the attention of one of the two…

…the one with the messy, brushed-up, titian hair and whose forehead is creasing now. But this guy heads to the kitchen straightaway. It is obvious that he is already getting annoyed. Sjon Wells always is impatient towards Derrick and anything Derrick.

The quiet one called out to his friend because of spotting something quite interesting across the room. He smiles and shakes his head, preferring to remain silent as usual.

"Come on, Derrick," as Sjon leaves the kitchen and intolerantly follows the other one who has proceeded into a room. "We don't have time for this, it's so late. Find him breathing, Aldryn?"

"Nope. He's not here."

The quiet one, still holding the door open, hears his friend Aldryn Bishop, perhaps the most mature of them all as he recalls, state it like there's no time to waste. That this is not something bothersome but something to be understood. Mature, indeed.

He, on the other hand, hasn't really given it much of a thought. Things are the way they are. The next moment, he hears Aldryn walking out of the bedroom followed by Sjon. These two stop in the middle of the lavish living room, looking around, one annoyed and the other worried.

Until finally, Sjon's attention is grabbed by the quiet one’s stare across the room.

"Howard!" Sjon hisses, also impatient when it comes to his oddness. But it makes Aldryn look up at him, too.

"What is it, How?" Aldryn asks curiously but coolly—ever the mature one.

They watch Howard smiling at something—something that must be valuable.

"That vase is a state-of-the-art likeness, don't you think?" Howard asks ambiguously.

As soon as the other two friends turn their heads to that piece of decoration, they instantly see a folded piece of paper stuffed into its voluminous bouquet of yellow roses.

Aldryn and Sjon crowd over the letter, with Aldryn plucking it out and unfolding it, while Howard Griffin finally walks in and closes the finely ornate door behind him.

 

1.10. (Tsukasa)

Derrick arrives in his brightly lit yet intimidating penthouse that is completely adorned with Art Deco designs one would think its designer stole a time from the 1920s and stuffed it in here. But the point is, he returned to Upper East Side this year a little too early for school than usual. It was typically a week after the first day.

A pale yet collected man in his 50s, wearing a special kind of business suit with a white bow tie, attends to him right away and effortlessly joins his pace as he heads for the shiny staircase that looks like it is made of gold.

"I'm not to be disturbed, Martin,” he tells the gray-haired butler and then he spots another man in the same bearing, only this one is wearing a traditional business suit and an unsolved aura. Directing his words to this other man, “Not even a phone call from her," Derrick adds.

"As you wish, sir," Martin replies, a little confused whether to look at his young master or the one who just entered the scene.

He might look a little sluggish and secretive but it is superficial. Emmanuel is actually a very pleasant old man. Derrick knows that deep down but sometimes, he still can't tell. Being her secretary and all. Her most trusted one. He then wonders why he is not in London with her.

Standing before a long flight of stairs, he is ready to go up but cares to pause to tell the butler something first, or maybe to both of them. Something that will prove he is not someone to be trifled with.

Without looking at them two, "The driver, I want him fired. Now."

Derrick climbs up the stairs, leaving the two old men confused. Being the sole heir to a large corporation, Emmanuel can serve as his secretary, too.

"Yes, sir," it’s Emmanuel, who replies in a low yet still polite tone.

Martin remains silent, like it’s nothing new to him, for it is in fact nothing new in a Spencer household.

Derrick enters his room as he takes off his black pea coat and closes his gold-colored steel doors behind him.

 

1.11. (Tsukushi)

As she climbs up the stairs of a three-story apartment building, Briony remembers her reply to Jane's offer earlier—of accepting a piece of that luck.

"It would be an honor, Ms. Jane Urimoto."

Because it is just what she and her family need. A bit of luck is everything to her. It is the closest thing they have to bliss in a way. Even if it's just make-believe.

She finally arrives in front of their door on the third floor; a simple, plain white door with a cheap 'Home Sweet Home' design hanging on it and some tiny cracks on the paint. But it is sturdy, just like the family that resides behind it. Briony uses her own duplicate to unlock it and as she gently pushes it open, she knocks, pleasantly yelling out "I'm home, dad, mom, Gian…"

Her family cheerfully bombards her with questions one by one like how was work, if she already had dinner and if she had a hard time catching a bus. It is an amicable sight to look at. As Briony joins the uproar, answering them each, she closes their sturdy front door behind her.

*****

 

HYD NY: Golden Doors (a Hana Yori Dango fanfiction)

Main Cast

[American Character Name – Japanese Character Name (Inspiration)]

Briony Mullins – Makino Tsukushi (Caitlin Stasey)

Derrick Spencer – Domyouji Tsukasa (Max Irons)

Howard Griffin – Hanazawa Rui (Douglas Booth)

Sjon Wells – Nishikado Soujiro (Nico Tortorella)

Aldryn Bishop – Mimasaka Akira (Steven R. McQueen)

 

Others:

Eunice Chai – Yuuki Matsuoka (Malese Jow)

Charmaine Nichols – Shizuka Toudou (Blake Lively/Nina Dobrev)

Marianne Burks – Makiko Endo (Emily Osment)

Kyle Donmoyer – Kimoto Takayuki (Alex Russell)

Mark Hooper – Kimoto's friend (TBA)

Emmanuel Dillard – Nishida (TBA)

Laurie Mullins – Makino Chieko (TBA)

Felix Mullins – Makino Haruo (TBA)

Gian Mullins – Makino Susumu (TBA)

Ms. Robinson – Okami-san (TBA)

Rachel, Cacey & Kristen – Asai Yuriko, Ayuhara Erika & Yamano Minako (TBA)

Katherine Spencer – Domyouji Kaede (Melinda Clarke)

 

Added/Original:

Roger Anderson, Eleanor Lawson, Jane Urimoto, Mr. Urimoto, Evelyn, Mr. Smith, Ruby, Older Attendant, *Darwin Lawson and *Mina

 

Disclaimer:

All the characters are created and owned by its original author Yoko Kamio. Characters not found in the manga but were added in the Japanese Drama are owned by Satake Mikio, Fujimoto Yuki, Takahashi Natsuko, Arai Shuuko and Setoguchi Katsuaki. I do not claim any ownership over them or the world of Hana Yori Dango.

This story is for entertainment purposes only; to further experiment on the plotline if it is set in the US instead, mainly New York. It is also a "filling in the gaps" presentation and a "pushing the limits" take on character development in terms of status and culture, without changing their personalities or claiming Yoko Kamio's story canon (or the screenwriters' adaptation) as my own. Therefore, characters not found both in the manga and the Japanese TV series adaptation were created by me, decisively to help "fill in the gaps" or "push the limits" of the storylines. With this, parts of the official storyline both from the manga and the Japanese TV series adaptation are elaborated or tweaked in this work, with the original setting and the main characters adjusted as well, under the intention of reaching new heights and producing another refreshing work, alongside its brilliant Japanese drama adaptation directed by Ishii Yasuharu, Yamamuro Daisuke and Katayama Osamu. Though it could give an impression of an American TV series adaptation in the works, with the visualized actors/dream cast given, please disregard such thought for I would rather have it called a Fanfiction Blog Series. The said actors are merely inspirations during the process of its writing. I am not connected to anyone from the American film industry nor am I profiting financially from the creation/publication of this work.

Lastly, it is not an attempt to fuse HYD with Gossip Girl. I am clearly only a fan of the manga and the Japanese TV series versions.

Notes on reading:

Please consider one completed book as a single episode of a TV series, with it having a teaser and four acts (five chapters)—mimicking the TV series format—represented by a teaser and four sequences (its next four chapters). This is because it is pictured as a TV series while being written in the manuscript format, with the purpose of giving an American Drama and a novel feel both at the same time.