one

birthday cake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N: I decided to make it a two shot bc the word count is over 2000... also I am super super sorry I'm a whole month later... I promise to never write half a fic then leave it ever again...<3)

-

Cheng Xiao's experience in the kitchen barely goes beyond reheating food and boiling pasta, in fact, most (as in all) of the time she forgets the concept of draining pasta... After all, it just wasn't necessary for her to touch a knife (except when Eunseo flirted with the other members) when her chef-like girlfriend practically fed her...

 

Yet she was still determined to bake a cake for Eunseo’s birthday because well, she knew how much her girlfriend loved food and so no, there really wasn’t a reason.

 

Of course, she didn’t do it alone- she had spent the week prior watching different youtube videos on how to make a cake without all the hard stuff. At first, she wanted to make a grand one until Xuan Yi snapped her back to reality. Actually, she had asked Xuan Yi to bake the cake for her, unsurprisingly she rejected the deal.

 

Anyways, it had just reached twelve by the time she woke up, giving her six hours until Eunseo would arrive. Instinctively, Cheng Xiao checked her phone and smiled seeing a series of text messages, from Eunseo, of course.

 

[09:33] Eunseo<3; Morning Princess =D

[09:42] Eunseo<3;  I love you btw and guess whut

[10:05] Eunseo<3; Are you not awake? =(

[10:12] Eunseo<3;  omg  did you know that exy likes soobin too??

[10:13] Eunseo<3;  but seola omg whutt

[10:21] Eunseo<3; I’m praying to god u r seolbin

[11:45] Eunseo<3; omg guess whut ????

 

Most people would find spam annoying, but not Cheng Xiao, she quickly typed a response;

 

[12:09] Xiao ; HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love you! and sorry, you know I wake up late...

 

By the time Cheng Xiao got up from her bed, she had already received a reply;

 

[12:12]  Eunseo<3; <3 but you’re team seulbin right???

[12:13]  Eunseo<3;  gtg i love you  mum wants me or something, see you tonight ;)

[12:13] ] Xiao;  bye and !!?

 

Cheng Xiao dismissed the smirk face and went on with her ‘morning’. It wasn’t until 2pm when she picked up her phone again. Her eyes widened when she saw 6 consecutive miss calls from Xuan Yi, instantly she called back, praying that it wasn’t an emergency.

 

“Hey you-“

“OH MY GOD ARE YOU OKAY? IM SO SORRY”

 

Cheng Xiao heard a muffled laugh over the line and creased her eyebrows, less worried about the situation.

“Chill, I’m fine I was just wondering how the cake was going.”

Rolling her eyes, Cheng Xiao instantly calmed down.

“I haven’t actually bought my stuff yet and I told you to make the cake for me!”

“What and lie? You really think you’ll do the cake in one try and on time?”

Sighing, the not-so-organised girl reached for her converses, slipping them on whilst replying.

“Fine, I’m going to buy the ingredients now,” dragging herself to the door half-assedly.

“Anyways Eunseo would never believe that you could make edible food let alone tasty.”

“Hey!”

 

-

 

Now that she had finally gathered all her ingredients, there was just under three hours  before Eunseo’s arrival, she had to start now. Which led to the next problem, where were the scales? After several minutes of unsuccessful searching, she decided to ‘blind-measure’ her mixture, probably not the best idea for someone who had never baked a cake.

Nonetheless, she poured the ingredients into the bowl, making the sponge first. Nothing was looking wrong until she realised she would have to crack an egg. For Cheng Xiao, the whole motion seemed easy, don’t hit the egg too hard and don’t leave the shell in. Taking the first egg in her hand she hit it on the countertop with almost no force, the egg wasn’t even scratched.

Annoyed, she attempted a second time, a little harder, which caused a slight crack she deemed successful. Until she somehow managed to crack the egg the wrong way; the egg yolk landed on her shirt rather than the bowl.

Gritting her teeth she went to get an apron before proceeding to crack the next egg. Only this time she hit too hard, creating more mess. Luckily two eggs were left and she took a deep breath before cracking those ones. And even more fortunately, she found triumph in the mission.

Smiling and proud, Cheng Xiao took the wooden cooking spatula instead of the whisk to mix her batter. After about a minute, she began to feel her hand ache, half-convincing herself that the batter was soft enough. Curious, she put the wooden equipment down and dipped her finger into the batter, tasting it. (She had seen Eunseo do it before whilst cooking).

Not surprisingly, she regretted the decision but didn’t have enough time to react properly as her phone rang again, from the same person.

“Yo-“

“Xuan Yi save me...”

She heard the girl on the other line laugh, not showing signs of pity before she cleared .

“It’s not even that hard... have you sifted your flour yet?”

“Do I have to? What’s wrong with just pouring the flour in?”

Xuan Yi hit her own head before sarcastically

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter