Chapter 4

Love After Marriage
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jicheng saw a white glow of light ahead of her. She was walking on the feathery clouds towards that bright glow. Destination seemed far away but she was determined to reach somehow. That was the call from heaven. If she manages to somehow to crawl her way to that brightness, she would be free from her dark, gloomy life. She began with a lots of enthusiasm but soon her energy drained and she felt a tremendous pull back and her feathery light soul returned to her pale and injured body. Only assurance she got from a beautiful angel, who looked like her friend and now sister-in-law, Eun Ah, while she was being pulled back was that, her life in coming future would be one of happiness ad prosperity. She didn't want to believe the angel's words but well, it was an angel and everybody knows angels don't lie.

On returning to her mortal body, Jicheng felt a tremendous pain as if every inch of her skin was on fire and blisters were forming everywhere. She wished she would have died. It would have been way better than to deal with this torment. But there wasn't any alternative. She was back and with that all the pains were back too. Her entire body felt heavy. Jicheng guess she was on morphine or such kind of sedatives. She was awake inside but if looked from outside, she was induced in a deep sleep. Jicheng wanted to wake up but her mind and body were not cooperating.

Jicheng was unconscious for two days straight. During these two days, KyuJong never left her alone, always stayed by her side and took care of her. Eun Ah, at first didn't want to allow Kyu inside Jicheng's room but Kyu had begged Eun Ah to allow him to stay by his wife's side. Chenglei was informed but not by Eun Ah but by KyuJong himself. Reaching the hospital, Chenglei got violent on Kyu after observing Jicheng's condition. To Eun Ah and HyunJoong's utter surprise, Kyu did not do anything to avoid Chenglei's rage and took his share of beating.

Whenever Kyu was attending Jicheng, which was almost the whole two days, he never spoke one word. Either he used to stare at Jicheng's unmoving body or he used to scribble on the pads available in the hospital. He never showed his writings, some of which he even destroyed immediately. Eun Ah, though did not forgive KyuJong till then, got worried over the way Kyu was behaving. Eun Ah had never seen her brother so distant. It was as if he was not even there.

On the third day, Jicheng could finally will her mind and body to cooperate and opened her eyes. It was all white at first. The sunlight falling in the cabin almost blinded her. She blinked a few times before her vision cleared. She turned her eyes because while she was in coma, she always felt a presence... a presence which was constant yet she couldn't be sure because the person never said anyting unlike all others, the doctors, nurses and she could even hear her friend Eun Ah's lament. Jicheng wanted to console Eun Ah badly because nothing was actually her fault, but in that vegetative state Jicheng could not do so.

Jicheng never thought the person behind her endless misery and terrible torture would the one on whom her eyes would fall first. She saw her husband was sitting on a chair eyes closed just beside the bed. Watching the figure, it seemed he was asleep. Jicheng forced herself to get up on her bed. She was feeling very weak and dizzy. Slowly she brought her herself to detach the saline from her hand and stepped down the bed. Jicheng had only one thought in her head, that was to get away from this ruthless fellow. She just couldn't stand his presence.

She started to drag her feet towards the door but without any support she found it extremely difficult. She had taken only four to five steps when she got dizzy and fell down. While falling she held a table but movement got some medicines on it to roll down making enough sounds for KyuJong to wake up. 

Kyu got up to find Jicheng on the floor with many medicine bottles lying around. Kyu promptly reached to help her but as he approached Jicheng, she cringed away from Kyu shaking violently. She started to sob uncontrollably and flinched when despite her initial rejection, Kyu tried to help her. KyuJong felt a stab of guilt and heartache ran through his whole being on seeing Jicheng react the way she was. But he could not blame the poor girl. He gave her enough reasons to behave in that way. He had traumatised his own wife. Now, he'd have to live with the consequences.

Sighing, Kyu tried to lift her only to face a thrashing and screaming Jicheng which caused a nurse and a wardboy to come running. The nurse asked KyuJong to stay away as she helped Jicheng get up and put her on the bed. The nurse injected a mild sedative to Jicheng's system and left her to rest. Based on the nurse and wardboy's report, HyunJoong understood Jicheng could not take in Kyu's presence and went into shock. Thus, he asked KyuJong to stay away. 

The sedative knocked out Jicheng for almost seven hours. When she woke up the second time she found it was almost evening and now Eun Ah was sitting on the chair on which Kyu sat in morning. Unlike Kyu, Eun Ah was awake. Seeing Jicheng conscious, she smiled a little at her ailing friend. Watching Eun Ah's face was much more comforting and Jicheng returned the smile. Eun Ah held her hand and said in a shaky voice, "Jicheng, I'm sorry! Very sorry!"

Jicheng's voice broke but she answered, "Don't be sorry! It was my fate. I'm to blame for whatever happened. Please don't say sorry for this."

"How come you say so? It was me who faked my kidnap and provoked my brother. I thought may be you would only have to deal with his rudeness for a few days and you being such a sweet girl would be able to win him eventually. I had never thought it'd turn into such a mess. Kyu had never been like this." Eun Ah teared up.

"Eun Ah sometimes things happen beyond our expectation."

"What happened to you had crossed every limit." Eun Ah wiped her tears and continued, "I know its not the right time and place to talk about it but I would still like to say something. Jicheng, I know you are not in a mental state to bear my brother's presence. So, if you want to end this abusive marriage, I'd like you to know that I'm with you. Hell...I'd even file your divorce. All you have to do is say so."

Jicheng stared at Eun Ah for a while and then looked away. She turned her gaze to the window through which she could see the cloudless clear blue sky and a bit of greeneries. Her silence spoke many words. Eun Ah knew Jicheng was hesitating to say that she had had enough of grief and torture and that she wanted out. Eun Ah gave a sad smile and said, "Its okay if you don't want to say anything. I understand. I'll do whatever I can. Take care and rest Jicheng."

After Eun Ah left her, Jicheng started to give a thought at what she exactly wanted to do with her marriage. It was quite sometime and night was drawing while she was in deep thought. Jicheng had her eyes closed and she was breathing evenly. Anyone from outside would consider her asleep. 

KyuJong came to visit his wife after Eun Ah left. Kyu was heartbroken to say the least. He had never felt so miserable in his entire life and the worst thing is, he was the one to be blamed for what he was going through. He could not forgive and forget the tortures he unleashed on his innocent wife. When Jicheng reacted hysterically on seeing Kyu in the morning, Kyu found her reaction very natural. In her eyes, he was worst than a monster. When he could not forgive himself, how could he expect Jicheng to do that? He hated himself and wished to turn back that time. How could he mistake Jicheng's innocence as fake? How could he not see how much trust she had shown into him at the time of their wedding? How could he that innocent girl and call her a ? How could treat his wife so badly, the one who he took vows to protect?

Quietly KyuJong entered into the ward and came near Jicheng's bed. Jicheng was sleeping peacefully. She looked so soft and vulnerable that KyuJong's heart cried out for her. Two drops of tears fell over the floor of the room. Regret burnt him from inside out. Kyu took out an envelope from his coat's pocket and kept them on the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter