iv.

The Baby Project

"Whether used in class or during extended simulation experiences, this interactive “robot” baby provides unforgettable lessons on:

- Teen pregnancy prevention

- Childcare

- Marital relations"



3 days later

 

Taeyong considers himself a patient and forgiving person, he really does. Or, at least that's what he likes to tell himself.

 

He had to sit through the sounds of his mother and father pounding their bed away in one ear (they really had to invest in soundproof walls one day), and the sounds of pain from whatever the hell his little sister is watching in her room in the other while he tried to finish his apology essay on why putting paper towels in an oven was a terribly, terribly bad idea.

 

There was that one instance in elementary school when a certain student by the name of Johnny Seo decided to pull a prank of spilling a milk bucket over his head when he was saying his valedictorian speech.

 

Taeyong tried to understand why. He had stolen Johnny’s new foreign friend who had stayed in America for four years (Jaehyun) after a few recesses and beat Johnny to the valedictorian spot by beating him by 2% in gym class.

 

Now, Taeyong barely even remembered that prank. It’s not like whenever he saw Johnny he was reminded of the taste of milk in his mouth as he was about to start thanking his many friends that helped him to get the valedictorian spot. See how forgiving?

 

But, there is a certain line with him that can be crossed. When Taeyong walks into History class that one particular morning, Hansol by his side and a baby carrier planted firmly between his palms, he couldn’t seem to figure out why all he could see is red and why his heart started to pound so fast when he spots Johnny jokingly giving Ten a noogie in the corner.

 

Was it the fact that Ten had been particularly sweet and caring to him the past few days but he was still laughing at Johnny’s -eating grin? Or was it the fact that whenever he saw Johnny he tasted milk? He wasn’t sure.

 

He furrowed his eyebrows even further when Ten Junior let out a tiny whine.

 

“Oh, hey Taeyong!” Ten waves at Taeyong from the corner, a wide smile on his face.

 

Taeyong instantly smiles. ‘Hey’? That would make him sound too energetic. Should he have said ‘hello’? Maybe that would’ve sounded too formal. Maybe, ‘good morning’? Then he would sound like a teacher… Hansol elbows him, interrupting his thinking process Ten stares at him expectantly, waiting for his response.

 

“Hi, Ten,” Taeyong squeaks nervously trying to keep a happy smile as he places his baby carrier on his desk, he looks at Johnny apathetically, “Johnny.”

 

Johnny smiles fakely at him, “Taeyong.” He drawls out sarcastically before he gives a brief nod to Hansol.

 

Taeyong gently tips a bottle of milk into Ten Junior’s mouth, “I’ve brought him home every day,” He says softly, “Do you think you could take him today?”

 

His voice breaks Ten out from his little exchange with Johnny, a surprised look on his face that quickly morphs to distaste at the sight of the baby. Ten cutely widens his eyes at Taeyong, “Oh, well-”

 

“Now, whose fault is it that you got stuck with this baby?” Johnny interjects sharply, pushing Ten Junior’s carrier away from Ten’s desk and shooting a smug smile at Taeyong.

 

“This baby?” Taeyong throws an incredulous look at his partner’s friend as he roughly shoves his baby’s carrier, “That is none of your business,” He grits out while shaking his head with a forlorn expression, “I’m his partner, aren’t I?”

 

Johnny rolled his eyes, “Well, I for one, would shut up and not cry during all their classes.” But he makes a blatant show of pointing his fingers to everyone else in the History classroom who had baby carriers which were actually silent, “But seems like everyone’s lucky except for Ten.” He paused as he gave Taeyong the stink-eye, “I wonder why.”

 

Taeyong let out a soft grumble, “But I take care of him at school all the time,” He hissed, “The extra fifteen hours are a part of the project that counts for Ten’s grade.”

 

“Sh,” Ten gives Johnny a disapproving look, “Taeyong’s right. I haven’t been a very good parent.”

 

Aha! Taeyong smiled brightly in return, “Yeah, Johnny,” He tuts as he Ten Junior’s head, “It’s not like you’re the one he has a baby with.”

 

“Oh, sorry Ten,” Johnny mumbles softly.

 

Ten looks at Taeyong with a serious expression, “I’ve been thinking.”

 

“And?” Taeyong asks him, raising his eyebrow.

 

“I think we should rename our baby.”

 

“That’s fine…” Taeyong says at Ten’s pleading expression, “You’re the one who named her anyways.” He adds cheerfully.

 

“Right,” Ten nods affirmatively, “She is a her.”

 

“Yup.” Taeyong hums as he pulls out his binder, an SNSD sticker on his binder his little sister had stuck on when she had actually been a normal little girl that danced to SNSD and played with her Barbie dolls.

“I wanna name her Tae!”

 

Taeyong looks up, his eyes widening as his face turns red.

 

“What?!” Johnny squeaks not-so-quietly, the annoyance obviously in his voice, “You’re naming her Tae?” His face turns red too. Out of low-key anger and jealousy.

 

“Yeah,” Ten smiles proudly as he takes his phone out of his pocket, “Didn’t you hear me the first time?”

 

“I did…” Johnny sputters for a few seconds, “B-But-”

 

“You’re naming her after me?” Taeyong takes the words out of his mouth, a both happy and smug smile on his face turning brighter by the second.

 

“No,” Ten answers in an uh-duh tone as he rolls his eyes, “I’m naming after my new goddess Kim Taeyeon.” He points at his music app’s favourites, a number of tracks by Taeyeon at the top.

 

Johnny scoffs loudly from his side. The red easing from his face.

 

“Oh.” Taeyong’s face continues to be red. He thinks it’s another case of embarrassment.

 

“Ya!” Mr. Park called out from the front of the class, tapping his long rule against the blackboard, “Aren’t you supposed to be working on the activity on page thirty-four?”

 

.

.

.

 

Taeyong tailed Ten even on the way to cafeteria once History class ends, much to the dismay of both Johnny and Hansol.

 

Hansol grumbled to himself wondering why they’ve had to eat at the gross cafeteria for the past week when they could be eating at the nice Japanese restaurant across the road that makes his father facepalm at his credit card bill every month.

 

Taeyong wasn’t even tailing them because of Ten, no, he was following them to continue his bicker with Johnny.

 

“You know what you remind me of?” Taeyong argued with Johnny as Ten quietly tended to their baby.

 

“...What?”

 

“Those subpar men,” He flicked his thumb at Johnny pointedly, “Who try to steal their wives away from husbands.”

 

Hansol looked at Taeyong with a weary expression, ‘Taeyong was so much better when he was trying to get rid of his admirers.’ He looked at a poster on the wall with an advertisement for the sushi restaurant across the school. Yum… sashimi

 

Ten laughed nervously at his comment. He couldn’t think of any characters in a movie than acted the scene that Taeyong talked about. Johnny, on the other hand, turns red from rage.

 

“Subpar?” Johnny’s nose flares while he listens in on their conversation, “And, I am not the other man, thank you very much.”

 

“What would you be then?”

 

“If anything,” Johnny glared at Taeyong, visible fire in his eyes, “You would be the other man.”

 

Hansol is stripped from his sushi fantasy as Taeyong and Johnny loudly continue to bicker with each other. Was it bad to just want some raw fish and soy sauce?

 

After letting out a scoff at a particularly mean-spirited comment from Johnny, he sticks out a childish tongue out at his long-time rival, “At least I didn’t spill milk all over someone because of two percent.” He smirked as he got ready for his next roast, “Wow, those ten push ups were really hard..”

 

“It’s been like six years!”

 

“Six years will never make up you pouring milk all over me on my valedictorian speech!”

 

“Well, consider it payback for you trying to steal Ten away from me-”

 

Ten looks at Hansol, a confused expression on his face, “Milk?” He asks as furrows his eyebrows in question.

 

“It’s nothing,” Hansol hardens his gaze at his friend, “Could you both stop it with this jealousy fest?” He tugs Taeyong’s wrist away in the direction of the school exit before they get too far, “We’re eating at the sushi place.”

 

“B-But-” Taeyong sputters for a few seconds, “I’m not jealou-”

 

“Save it,” Hansol glares, “We’re eating my sashimi.”

 

Ten tugs on Johnny’s wrist in the opposite direction of the cafeteria, “I won’t leave you for Johnny, okay?” He reassures him jokingly with a soft giggle, “I’m sorry for not appreciating my husband more.”

 

His face heats up in response but really all he can see is red at Johnny’s smug smile as Johnny points to Ten’s hand on his wrist, “Look at my wrist.” Johnny mouths at Taeyong blatantly from behind Ten, a -eating grin on his face.

 

“I’ll take the baby today after school,” Ten waves Taeyong away, “Go, eat at that restaurant across the street,” Ten laughs softly, “Jaehyun’s been complaining that you eat at the cafeteria all the time because of me.”

 

Hansol folds his arms in relief, “Finally.” He mutters sourly under his breath.

 

“B-But--”

 

Taeyong doesn’t have a chance to respond when Hansol drags him off to the sushi restaurant, “It’s not ‘cause of Ten-” He defends himself quietly to Hansol.

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Hansol rolled his eyes in response before he was able to continue his sentence, a blast of Red Velvet rang from his phone.

 

Taeyong furrowed his eyebrows at his ringtone, “Really?” He shook his head in faux disappointment, “Ice cream cake?”

 

Hansol flipped him his finger before answering the call on his phone, “Yeah, we’re near the entrance,” He hummed into his phone before nodding despite the caller obviously not being able to see him, “We’ll meet you there.”

 

Not too long after, Jaehyun met with them on the steps of the school.

 

“Thank God,” Jaehyun said once he fell into step beside them, “Are you done making us eat at the cafeteria, now?” He glared pointedly at Taeyong.

 

Taeyong shrugged helplessly in response, pointing at his baby.

 

Hansol quirked an eyebrow at this, “What does that have to do with where we eat?”

 

“There’s no point,” Jaehyun sang out, “Everybody knows that you’re thirsting over Ten. Might as well tell your best friends.”

 

“Wait, what?” Taeyong opens his mouth in a wide ‘o’, “Really?”

 

Jaehyun nods empathetically in response, “Really.”

 

“Okay,“ Taeyong reddened as Jaehyun nods seriously, “I guess it is because of Ten,” He murmurs to both Hansol and Jaehyun as they trekked down the stairs to go to the infamous sushi restaurant.

 

“What was that again?” Jaehyun teases as he holds his hand in front of his ear jokingly, “I didn’t hear you the first time.”

 

Taeyong toyed with the handle of his baby carrier, “I think my partner’s cute,” He mumbled to them as they passed by a flock of jocks and cheerleaders flirting together.

 

Taeyong fishes out his phone from his bag showing them a number of pictures from History class, “Look at how cute he is.” He gushes after having a weight lifted from his shoulders.

 

“You’re such a stalker.” Hansol stares at his phone, a flabbergasted expression on his face, “When did you even take these?”

 

“Well, he is…” Jaehyun murmurs from beside him, a serious, thinking expression his face, “In like a pretty kind of way.” He shrugs, "My bunny is still cuter."

"As if he's yours." Taeyong scoffs.

 

“First of all,” Hansol ignores Jaehyun’s incoherent murmurs and instead stares at Taeyong strangely, “You shouldn’t take pictures of your crushes. That’s weird.”

“I take pictures of Doyoung all the time,” Jaehyun interjects, giving a reassuring smile to Taeyong, “I got you.” He adds after patting his friend's back as he sees his heartbroken look on his face.

 

“But, like…” Taeyong paused for a few seconds to rethink his words, “He’s so cute.” He whispers his last words as if he was telling an awfully naughty secret.

 

Jaehyun pats his back sympathetically.

 

Hansol stared at Taeyong with a slightly disgusted expression, “Was Joy the reason you went over to the dark side?”

 

Taeyong paused for a few seconds, “I guess,”

 

Doyoung pops out of nowhere and chuckles from his side, “No,” He scoffs under his breath, apparently having heard their conversation, “It took him one Thai exchange student to figure out.”

 

Jaehyun gasped, “Where the did you come from?”

 

Doyoung gives him a strange look in response, “I’ve been here the whole time.”

 

“The whole time?” Jaehyun echoes after him blankly.

 

“Give me your phone, Jaehyun.”

 

Taeyong leaves for a second to use the bathroom as Jaehyun sobs while Doyoung deletes his pictures from his phone.

 

“Wanna bet?” Hansol says to them.

 

“On what?”

 

“If Taeyong will still be a by the end of the school year.”

 

“How much?” Jaehyun breaks away from his helpless sobs for a minute, “I’m gonna bet until the end of the term.”

 

Hansol smirks at him, “Fifty-thousand won.”

 

“Pffft,” Doyoung sticks his hand out, “You’re on.”

 

.

.

.

 

Taeyong slowly leaned his head onto the head of his bed, a peaceful expression on his face.

 

It had been days since he actually had time to relax without having to suffer through the devilish screams of his baby. It was definitely a lucky day for Taeyong when the only ambience he had to deal with was the sound of a God-knows-what documentary ringing from Dukseon’s room.

 

Sure, the screams of terror and what sounded like the slicing of skin was a bit grimace-inducing, but hey, it was his little sister at hand.

 

He reminded himself to pick up a brochure for a shrink one of these days as a particularly high squeal of pain rang throughout the house’s hallways. Taeyong stretched out his arms in a feline-like manner before he headed to his bed.

 

A wave of nausea washed over him as he climbed into his bed.

 

“Why do I feel like something’s bad about to happen?” He thought aloud as he his hand instinctively went to wrap his blanket around his body. Taeyong peeked at the clock across his bed, nine-thirty, one hour earlier than he usually slept but this would be his treat for the one night where he wouldn’t have to take care of his baby.

 

Yummy, delicious thoughts of fluffy clouds and frolicking through the sky while laughing at Ms. Park and Johnny Seo came to him as he dozed off in the safe haven that was his bed.

 

But, sadly all good things eventually came to an end.

 

It wasn’t long before his phone dinged from a new text, his little sister strode into his room with her tiny hands on her hips and his father (who he regularly saw once a week) burst into his room with an angry face and a leather belt in his hand.

 

“Taeyong!” Both of his relatives simultaneously yelled at him.

 

He warily poked his head out from the bundle of blankets that were keeping him oh-so-warm.

 

“Yes?” He timidly responded upon eye contact. His little sister, Dukseon bared her fangs and stomped her legs as Taeyong tried to nervously smile at her.

 

“What is this I hear about setting an oven on fire in the middle of class?” and “This banana milk tastes like !” Were the only coherent words he was able to understand. The rest of his little sister and dad’s words were drowned out by each other's.

 

“And now I hear that your partner is a guy-” His dad froze momentarily, his eyes widening and neck snapping at his youngest (and sadly, only) daughter once realization him, “Did you just swear, Lee Dukseon?”

 

“I heard it on Scrubs-” Taeyong took this time where his dad lectured Dukseon on how watching Pororo would probably be a lot more beneficial to her health and well-being to grab his phone and peek at his new text message.

 

‘hELP!! I CAN’T GET THE BABY TO SHUT UP AND YUTA LEFT ME BC TAE WAS SO LOUD AND THE BANGING NEIGHBOURS BESIDE ME THREATENED TO CALL THE POLICE SOS - Ten”

.
.
.

A/N: not proofread yet im sry i have to work on graphics i'll try proofreading tomorrow
OH YES I FINALLY UPDATED

i should really be working on my graphic requests but I felt terrible since I didn't update in a while and NCT Dream teaser pics triggered me

IM A FREAKING 2002 LINER AND CHEN LE IS LIKE 01 I CANNOT
bUT HEY I'M GONNA DIE WHEN JAEMIN'S PICS GET RELEASED

I need to update my jaeyong fic too T^T
this is a completely new chapter btw ^^
OH AND i'm not sure if it's obvious but I added a lot of Johnny this chapter bc I'm kinda salty he's not gonna be in the next unit

Thank you to everyone who's upvoted and subscribed! /throws hearts/

special unicorn kisses to these people~
sakarafreak, unicornpeacock, fluffyxoxo, caniwi, lobotn, noonayeppo, kjunkkk, mxhiee, jaenious, m4z3lt0v, secretfan_07, lovelyredflowers, diamondapple, nctdaebak, nva4eva, whitelalin, sekaii, skylord54, kuud3r3baka, dry_petals, heydoctor