Boys and Books

Boys and Books

 

It was a sunny day, such a perfect day to stroll around the park, to breathe a fresh air, to have a picnic, to play with bungee jumping or to do some exciting outdoor activities. Above all choices they had, Jae Bum and Jin Young chose to spend their perfect sunny day to just lay their bodies down on the floor and read. To them, there was nothing more ideal than cuddling in the house while reading their favorite books.

Jin Young's stomach grumbled in hungry within the second he shut the book he was reading. It was the call for lunch time. He turned to Jae Bum who was leisurely slouching against the sofa, his eyes were intensely reading the book he was holding. He didn't even blink. Jin Young's expression turned sour.

"Hyung. Watch your back," he whined to the older boy, probably for the hundredth times already. On reflex, Jae Bum straightened his body and grinned awkwardly, showing a set of his white teeth.

"Sorry, Jin Young," he said, giving his best smile.

Jin Young snorted with laughter.

"Hyung, can you see me?" he asked while waving his hands in front of Jae Bum's face, totally teasing the older. The latter's eyes were forming two straight lines or an eyesmiles due to his best smile. It was caused by his slender eyes.

Jae Bum rolled his eyes, annoyed. He placed a bird-shape bookmark at the page he was reading and shut the book, putting it on coffee table beside the sofa. He got down from the sofa and punished Jin Young with a headlock, getting the latter's loud and cheerful laughter.

***

Both of them finally decided to have lunch outside after spending a couple hours reading inside their cozy house. They stopped at a sandwich store, Jin Young's half favorite food. Actually his favorite is hamburger, but sandwich does count as its half.

"What book you're reading, Jin Young?" Jae Bum randomly asked, stuffing half of the big sandwich inside his mouth. Which was not a surprise because he has a large mouth.

"Hyung...we're basically staying in one house. How could you not notice what am I reading?" Jin Young questioned, utterly disappointed.

Jae Bum opened his mouth to say something but he stopped, carefully thinking about his words.

"I was too engrossed in Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami..." he said, feeling really apologetic toward the boy.

Jin Young turned his head away from Jae Bum, avoiding any possible eye contact with the latter. He continued eating his sandwich. Though he was frustrated with the older, his empty stomach must be filled at all cost.

Jae Bum snickered, gaining a sideways glance from Jin Young. Which Jae Bum noticed.

"The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald," he spoke, greatly anticipating for the younger male's reaction.

As Jae Bum expected, as fast as lightning Jin Young turned his face to Jae Bum with wide but judging eyes.

"Excuse me?" Jin Young was not amused.

"Gotcha, Jin Young," Jae Bum said, completely teasing the boy sitting in front of him. And then he burst into a heavenly laughter, ruffling Jin Young's distinct black hair.

"You just tricked me."

"Basically."

"I hate being outside with you."

"You don't hate me. I'm hundred-percent sure."

"What makes you think so?"

"Because I'm going to treat you some books. You don't want? I could save for my portion then."

And like always, Jin Young fell for the trick.

***

"Three. Just three books, OK?" Jae Bum warned the younger, showing three fingers to him before the latter fled out of his sight. Jae Bum shook his head with a hint of disapproval.

"He would never listen, doesn't he," he said to himself, making his way to Non-fiction section after greeting the book store owner. He and Jin Young were a regular customer of the book store. They visited it more often after Jin Young grew to like reading books as well. Jin Young said Jae Bum was a good influence to him.

After Jae Bum was done, he went to find Jin Young, walking to every section but he couldn't find him. He went to check on Fiction section once again, just in case he missed him between the shelves. When he got there, there was no trace of Jin Young at all.

"Where he could have been?" Jae Bum asked himself, slightly worrying.

He was about to leave and search from square one when he noticed a shoe stick out at the other end of a shelf. He walked down the aisle until he reached at the end, finding Jin Young  clearly absorbed in a comic book. Jin Young hardly noticed Jae Bum's presence by his side. Jae Bum exhaled and flicked Jin Young's forehead. The flick did produce a pretty loud sound. Jin Young winced in pain, holding his forehead.

"So, mind explain what happened here?" Jae Bum nicely asked, arms crossing over his chest, one brow raised. Jin Young was standing in front of him, eyes staring down at the floor, both hands holding some books.

"Hyung, I've got the three books. I thought you're going to be long so I read some comic books..." Jin Young's voice trailed off. He looked up at Jae Bum and grinned awkwardly. Wrinkles beside his eyes started to form as he grinned.

Jae Bum chuckled. "Grab some more comic books. Let's pay and go home. You know I don't like staying away from home for too long, don't you?" he said, turning his back and walked to the counter.

Jin Young's face found its glow again, smiling cheerfully from ear to ear. "Alright, hyung!" he responded enthusiastically, grabbing some comic books on the shelf and followed Jae Bum.

They went home after making a payment, getting ready to spend another couple hours reading their favorite books.

"Hyung, have you ever watched Harry Potter movie?" Jin Young asked on their way home. "J.K Rowling's Harry Potter series was made into movies. There are eight in total."

"No. I haven't watched."

"Hyung, let's watch tonight!"

"Nah," Jae Bum declined, not quite liking the idea.

"No. I'll make you watch them all. All eight in one night."