Chapter 2

To A Large Extent
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who brings you things you never asked for and don’t always like.

 

           -Lemony Snicket

 

 

 

 

Jimin’s POV:

 

Sometimes I would just stare at the mark I have on my hips when I'm alone, in front of the mirror.

 

The mark.

 

The mark of a soulmate.

 

The dark red elegant rose in a black cage. Beautiful yet mysterious. Silver and golden leaves.

 

I wonder what that meant.

 

In this world, most people have soulmates. Some just aren't meant to live with someone for the rest of their lives. For years, well not really that long but, I've been looking, for that one person, which I didn't and probably never will find.

 

But Yoongi-hyung too though. His was a...firebird in an ice castle or cage or something. Wonder what that meant.

 

The world is cruel. And weird. Soulmates who lose their partners suffer for the rest of their lives. Most suicide, others live in depression, in misery. And yeah. It's terrifying. Imagine if my soulmate, probably at the end of the world, dies and my world tears apart. That's creepy. But of course there are people who aren't soulmates but still marry or date one another. Like Yoongi-hyung and I. We feel happy around each other, but incomplete. It's like it isn't enough, though it seems perfectly fine.

 

I just dread to see the day Yoongi-hyung's soulmate comes and takes him away. 

 

At age 20, people start showing their soulmate sign. Mine appeared about three months after my 20th birthday, and I freaked out during that period, worrying that there's something wrong with me. It appeared when I was reprimanded by my boss, when I suddenly fainted and woke up hours later at home, to feel a burning sensation at my hip and saw the mark glowing brightly. 

 

They said soulmates sometimes experience their partners feelings. But I haven't had any yet. Is my soulmate younger than me? Is she or he not 20 yet? Maybe they are...but their mark hasn't shown yet?

 

"Jimin? You ready?" Yoongi-hyung's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

 

"H-huh? Oh yeah I'm just done." I smiled, before releasing my grip on my shirt and turning to my boyfriend. 

 

We were going over to Hyung's house for a visit. 

 

We got into Yoongi-hyung's car and he played some music.

 

"Jimin." "Hyung." We said at the same time. We looked at one another and laughed a bit before he continued.

 

"You say first.”

 

"No its okay you say first." A long awkward silence.

 

"What will happen if we found our soulmates?" We asked at the same time. Then we stared at one another. He coughed and looked back on the road and I grew red and looked out of the window.

 

"Well, I don't know what I'll do..." I started.

 

Suddenly the view of a spider hanging on the car window from outside interests me a lot.

 

"I...I'll probably go with my soulmate and live with him or her." I  nodded, biting the inside of my cheeks and I felt bitter.

 

So I guess after all humans do follow their mind, not the heart.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter