Affair of the Heart

Affair of the Heart - Eunhyuk & Donghae

Three people, two hearts destined to be one, one left out to find another

“What could go wrong with working with your two best guy friends?” You questioned yourself, looking up at the sign from the street, it wasn’t a very big store but it was modern and with a need for a local bakery the business was destined to flourish.

Taking in a deep breath, you walked up to the front door, pulling open the door, you took in the new store smell, a hint of wood along with the subtle hint of flour and sugar that seemed to float through the air.

“________!” One of your best friends, the founder and store manager, Eunhyuk happily greeted you with open arms.

“Hey Eunhyuk, you look cheerful for being under a lot of stress” You teased, wrapping your arms around him and giving him a quick hug.

“The smile is only because you are here” Eunhyuk cheekily remarked, “When you leave, I think I will get worry lines”

Eunhyuk patted his forehead and cheeks with care, his face turning into more of a pout as he looked upwards into the soft hanging lights.

“Aish, if you don’t stop poking your skin, I will poke it for you” You giggled, leaning up and trying to poke his cheeks as he refused backed away from you, a smile pulling on his pink lips once again.

“Are you guys going to just stand around or can you help me unload this flour and sugar?” A voice asked after a thud, looking over you at your other best friend Donghae behind the counter.

Trotting over a few steps, you turned back around to look at Eunhyuk, “Hey are you going to help us?” You questioned as his eyes were too busy looking over the decor.

“I-I… I have a few other things to do… I am sure you both can manage” Eunhyuk smiled sweetly as you. Playfully saluting him, you skipped off behind the counter and hung up your jacket and purse before rolling up your sleeves as you trotted out to the backdoor.

Seeing the truck backed up to the door, Donghae was busy at work moving one bag of flour at a time towards the edge of the truck so he could carry them inside easier.

“Muscles ready to be put to work!” You cheered flexing your arm muscles. Watching his eyes as he turned around, he chuckled and shook his head lightly from side to side.

“Can your muscles carry one bag or two?” Donghae questioned with a smile, hopping down from the truck and placing his hands on his hips as he looked at you with a bright twinkle in his eyes and a smile curling his lips.

“Two!” You beamed happily, a little too chipper causing him to smile brightly.

“You sure you can handle it?” Donghae questioned, turning back and picking up a bag of flour and resting it in your arms as you widened your eyes in surprise at how heavy it was.

“You okay?” Donghae questioned seeing the change in facial expressions from you, ready to catch the bag if you can’t handle it.

“I’m good!” You nodded with a smile as he watched you carefully turn around and walk back inside before he lifted two bags with his arms and walked them inside.

“Where would you like them?” You questioned, your voice slightly straining while your body moved to accommodate the extra weight you were carrying.

“In the flour stack, here” He smiled and walked over to the stack, setting two bags down effortlessly as he helped you lift your bag on top of his. “Ready for another trip?”

Walking back and forth for a few trips, your feet began to shuffle across the floor. Your arms aching from the constant strain of the bags and even though the bags stayed the same weight, they somehow seemed heavier with each bag you carried.

“We could sweep up a little” Donghae offered seeing how you were getting worn out and there were still more to carry in.

“Is that okay?” You questioned, your hand shaking as you reached out for the broom.

“Totally, it is only a few more bags” He patted your shoulder, saying good job as he headed out, grabbing three bags per trip, you watched his muscles ripple under his worn t shirt.

Beads of sweat lightly surfaced across his forehead and neck as you slowly swept the surrounding area. Your eyes wondering over his form as he walked through the door with two bags of flour and sugar over his built shoulders.

“Once that is done, the two of you can head home for the night” Eunhyuk tapped his thumbs against his phone as his eyes never lifted from the phone in his palms.

“Okay” You replied as he nodded his head

“Have a good night, I am heading home” Eunhyuk, pushed his phone into the inside pocket of his suit coat. “_______ would you like to get some dinner together?”

The offer came to you as a surprise, your eyes wide as your lips parted slightly. Blinking a few times, you looked back over at Donghae, knowing he usually offered to the three of you and not just you.

“I think I am going to stay and help clean up a little” You declined

“We’ll do it another time then~” Eunhyuk smiled, just then his phone rang and he waved the two of you off before he answered the call and headed out into the cool night.

“Aish!” A loud rip sounded behind you, whipping around, you saw a whole bag of flour scattered across the clean tile floor.

“Are you okay?” You questioned rounding the counter and looking at Donghae, covered in a white powder.

“I’m okay…. we better get this cleaned up though” He sighed as you could tell that the long, hard day was wearing on him.

Grabbing a broom, you gathered the flour in a dustpan before tossing it in the trash bin. Scooping up a few dustpans full, you just had the fine flour still stuck to the floor. Grabbing a damp rag, you carefully moved the rag across the floor to capture the fine flour.

Hearing Donghae bring in the last of the bags, he sat on the stack and ran his fingers through his hair. Watching you work the floor, you shook out the flour before continuing again.

“You know you can leave, I can finish this up” Donghae offered, grabbing another damp towel and joining you on the floor.

“It is a lot for one person, besides more hands make light work” You smiled, glancing up at him as he nodded slowly. The two of you worked until there was no more flour on the title. Standing upright, you slid your hands into your jean pockets and looked around making sure everything was cleaned.

“Why did you turn down Eunhyuk?” Donghae probed, his hands ringing the towels between his hands as he ran them under the water to get rid of all of the flour.

“I didn’t want to leave you alone…” You lightly bit your lip as you twirled a strand of hair around your fingers, “Besides, I didn’t want to go alone to dinner with him”

“Why not?” Donghae tilted his head, turning off the lights and grabbing your jacket and your purse and handing them to you.

“I don’t know… it would feel weird without you there and I wouldn’t want anyone to think…. welll… you know…” You gestured to it as Donghae walked you out the front door and locked the front door behind you.

“That you were dating” Donghae finished as you nodded, sighing softly as you felt the cool night brush over your warm skin.

“Yeah…” You sighed softly, your eyes dropping down.

“Why don’t I buy you some ice cream, you did help me so much today after all” Donghae changed the subject as your eyes lifted up to his.

“I would love that~” You sang happily

“But would that be okay? I mean it might look like we are dating” He teased, brushing his shoulder against yours.

“That would be okay with me” You whispered softly, your heart pounding against your ribs as you tried to hide that you had feelings for Donghae, not matter how strong they were.

The two of you found an open creamery, choosing your ice cream, he paid for both your treat and his before the two of you leaned against the railing overlooking a babbling stream.

“You know, you and Eunhyuk would make a cute couple” Donghae leaned against the railing, his arms supporting his weight while his tongue around the edge of the two scoop ice cream cone.

“I-I don’t think so…” You replied quietly, taking a small from your cone as well.

“Why not?” His head turned to yours, tilting slightly as he hung on your every word.

Shrugging your shoulders, your eyes looked down at the babbling brook while your tongue tried to form some words, “For one, he is too caught up in his work, he isn’t very kind and is too busy flaunting his money in my face…”

“Ah~” Donghae nodded, “It wouldn’t be because you had your eyes on someone else, now would it?”

When Donghae questioned you, your eyes lifted up to his as you slowly shook your head from side to side hesistantly.

“You sure?” Donghae adjusted his stance so his hips leaned against the railing, his eyes fixated on you.

“There might be someone I like…. but it would be awkward if I liked him and showed my feelings…” Your fingers ran over the cake cone between your fingers as you finished off the ice cream inside.

“Why would that be?” Donghae probed deeper

“I wouldn’t want to hurt the relationship we have and especially with others… it wouldn’t be the place…” You told him, your eyes lifting to meet his.

A slight twinkle shined in your eyes, slowly telling all as Donghae’s brown orbs read your eyes like his favorite book.

“What if the guy liked you back? You wouldn’t know if he liked you or not” Donghae reasoned, his eyes softening as you could tell that something had changed between him and you.

“Then he would have to make the first move, so I knew it would be okay” You shyly tore your eyes away from his as he nodded.

“Shall I walk you home?” Donghae questioned, looking at the time on the watch hugging his wrist.

“T-That’s okay, I know your home is in the other direction.” You pulled your jacket over your cooled skin as you buttoned the front.

“You sure? It isn’t a problem” Donghae offered again

“I’m sure, maybe another time” You nodded in reassurance as he nodded.

“Thank you for all of your help today” Donghae smiled sweetly at you

“Thank you for the ice cream” You bowed to him returning the sweet smile, “See you tomorrow”

The two of you then parted ways, him walking one way as you walked the other way. With the distance increasing between the two of you, you looked over your shoulder to see his slight shadow moving underneath the street lights, his pace slow but steady as you returned your eyes forward unaware that a moment later, he stopped in his tracks and turned around to watch you.

“I hope you like me….” Donghae whispered into the dead of the night, before continuing his walk home.