Silver Lining

Silver Lining

"Did you iron the suit I lend you?" came his father's voice before sipping his coffee.

"Yeah," Jung Yunho lazily replied, because in all honesty, he didn't want to wear a freaking suit.

"That's good dear, you know how casual everyone's now, and wearing a suit can actually give a pretty impression," his mother said, sitting beside his father. He only nodded, making himself coffee.

-

"Are your credentials complete?" his mother asked for the fifth time. "Yes mom, I got it here. I'm not forgetting anything." he said, fixing his tie. "I'll get going," he kissed his parents cheeks.

"Good luck!" he heard his mother called as he stepped in the accelerator. He let out a heavy sigh, nodding to himself. Today was his first ever job interview, and it's with one of the country's most popular and big company. He's a fresh graduate with a degree of Business Management, and with his fine grades, Hwang International Group of Companies had accepted his application and called for an interview the next day.

He breathe in, adjusting his tie. He clicked his tongue, okay -- he's wearing his father's most expensive suit but he realized just now that it's getting tight. He shifted his seat, and when he did, he could feel the suit cutting into his chest, and it's beginning to feel uncomfortable. He wanted to let out another heavy sigh, but he knew, any careless movement would rip his suit and slacks apart. He shook his head, for a moment, he thought of changing to a simple shirt and a faded jeans, but then he heard his mother's voice saying how everyone's far too casual. Really. Damn casuality.

He was almost downtown when he realized he'd forgot his purse, with a roll of his eyes and a curse, he U-turned. And oh, who would have thought that after that, everything's bound to go wrong.

-

He's back in the road now, retrieving his purse with his mother shooking her head. Fortunately, with the rush hour over, his whole drive was smooth - until his car stopped in the middle of the road. He tried hitting the ignition and stepping in the accelerator hard, then he realized his car has run out of gas. And the next gas station was three kilometers away. With long series of curses, he began pushing his car out of the road, parking it in the sidewalk. He wiped his sweat. Really, he's still not in the city yet he's already looking like . He grabbed his envelope, purse, and closed the door of his car. That's when he saw a policeman. "Sir, this is a tow away zone,"

What the effin hell.

He wanted to argue, but he realized he'll be late for his interview. Zipping his mouth shut, he nodded, watching as his car was pulled by a truck. When the officer gave him his ticket, he bowed, and waited for a cab. And when none came after five minutes, he asked the officer, "Sir, where's the next bus station?"

His jaws dropped when the officer said it's a kilometer away. Oh. God. How lucky could he be? Really. For a moment, he thought of going back home, but with his car's in a tow away, he began to walk with a grunt.

-

Once seated in a bus going to Gangnam, he finally let out a sigh of relief. But good Lord, the kid beside him, who's eating chocolate while drinking mango juice gagged, then threw up. Okay, it's not in his way or something, but the fumes were too strong he's sure he's smelling like one. Seeing the Gangnam's near, he climbed out of the bus in the nearest station. He looked down at his watch. He still have an hour. Composing himself, he began to walk.

Gangnam District was a rich city - tall buildings, fancy restaurants he knew he couldn't afford a drink, let alone a lunch, and all the people he see were all wearing a suit. He inwardly sent a silent thank you to his mother. He smiled. And when he thought that everything's going to be fine, that's when he heard the faint sound of ripping clothes. He stopped walking. Oh. God. His slacks were tearing apart.

He closed his eyes, bit his lips hard, and tried to compose himself. With careful and slow steps, he resumed walking. He really wanted to cry right now, seriously. Too many bad lucks.

First: He forgot his purse.

Second: His car run out of gas.

Third: It's in a tow away.

Fourth: He's smelling like .

Fifth: His suit's giving him a hard time.

Really. So much for first job interview problems.

-

Thankfully, he reached the company in the right time, and in one piece.

"I'm Jung Yunho, and I'm scheduled for an interview today," he said to the female receptionist.

"Mr. Jung. Ah, yes. But Mr. Hwang hasn't arrived yet, please wait in the lobby, we'll just call your name," she said, pointing the lobby area.

"Thank you," he said, and that's when - Oh. God. He could feel the rip's going bigger. He simply pulled down his coat, covering the rip on his slacks.

He walked toward the lobby, sitting really carefully. He let out a sigh. He grabbed a magazine, leaping from page after page. Then, he heard a voice, and find a boy sitting across him. And the boy's familiar.

The boy nodded at him, offering a smile, and he find himself mesmerized by it. Putting down the magazine, he waved.

"Hey," he greeted first. 

The boy nodded. "Hey," then added, "I think I've seen you before,"

"Oh. I was thinking of that too, maybe in school? I graduated in SM University, just last month." he said, and despite the distance between them, he could see the birthmark on his neck.

"Oh, I graduated from there too." the boy said, giving him a grin.

"So what are you applying for?" he asked, just to keep the conversation going.

"Assistant manager," the boy said, crossing his arms. "What about you?"

"I'm applying for that position too," he said, adding: "Then you're a threat."

The boy chuckled. "Yeah, you're a threat too." he said, a ghost of smile still in his face, and he couldn't help but smile too.

"Well, may the best man win," Seriously, that was what he wanted to say, but when he opened his stupid mouth, his stupid brain spoke: "Well, I really hope you don't get the job."

The boy was evidently taken aback - unprepared for his bluntness. And it's too late to apologize. The boy composed himself, uncrossed his arms, nodding slowly. "Oh," the boy said. "I do hope you don't get the job,"

He sheepishly grinned. Really.

He's so stupid.

He inwardly shook his head, before he could say it's only a joke, a voice chimed in.

"Mr. Jung? Please come with me, Mr. Hwang's waiting in his office." a man said, motioning for him.

He nodded, grabbed his envelope, and stood up. He followed the man, and before they reached the elevator, he said, "Oh, I forgot something, I'll get it, I'll be back,"

Then, he walked back to the lobby, the boy's still there. He came closer.

"Hey, uh, can we, you know .. Can we have coffee after this?" he asked, giving him a smile. The boy cleared his throat.

"I don't think so. No .. No," the boy said, shooking his head.

With dry lips, he nodded slowly. "Okay," he only said, marching away. Then, the boy's voice stopped him.

"Wait. Uhm. I'm actually free after this. Uhm. Let's just meet outside?" the boy asked, a smile slowly reappearing in his face.

He chuckled, bend down - Oh. The rip has gotten big - but he ignored it.

"That's great, let's just meet outside later." he said, offering his hand. "I'm Jung Yunho."

The boy put down his magazine, and took it. "And I'm Kim Jaejoong," he said, then smirked. "By the way, I love your Spongebob Squarepants boxers, it's cute."

Oh. God. He blushed furiously after that. Then, he laughed, thinking there's always a silver lining in everything.

 

**

Author's Note: So much for being a nonsense writer. The 'I hope you don't get the job,' is inspired in 500 days of Summer :)