More than Friends

More than Friends

 There is a saying that there will always be a reason why you meet people in your life. It's either you need them to change your life or you're the one that will change theirs.

Hi, I'm Kim Jinwoo, just another ordinary guy, a straight guy, well not until I met Song Minho, who became my best friend. Mino is a newbie in our the entertainment company. While I worked as an HR Manager, Mino was assigned in the supervision of the technical side in our company. I noticed him first, he is this kind of guy that is a social butterfly, he's just new but almost all the employees just fell for his charm. Everyone just laughed every time he cracked up some jokes, and include me in those everyone. I'm just there secretly admiring him, I'm straight and admiring some guy in our office doesn't make me a homo. Well, not for me, I guess. 

It was lunch time, and we have this small cafeteria in our company. For some reason, my friend can't accompany me to have some lunch, I ordered my food and sit at the corner, my back on the entrance. When suddenly, “Hi, can I sit here? Mino just appeared in front of my table asking me if he can sit there!! I looked around, yeah most tables are occupied. I smiled and nodded my head, “of course you can”. Seconds passed and no one dare to speak first. And why like this?! “By the way, I'm Song Minho.” I smiled, “I know.” And he just gave that beautiful smile. “I'm Kim Jinwoo of HR department.” “I know.” Mino response back. We look at each other and both of us just give that heartily laugh. One thing lead to another, Mino became my lunch buddy, my companion, he became my best friend. I dunno why but I just found a connection with him. It's like he is my soul mate. And as time goes by, there is this small portion in my heart that keep saying, hey are you sure Mino is just a best friend to you? 

For years, I tried to ignore that gnawing feeling inside of me. I don't want to ruin what Mino and I have. Our friendship. And for years, I've noticed that Mino is being extra caring of me, always saying I love you, especially in SNS messages, he pampers me a lot and I can feel that there is something extra that he's showing to me. We were in a themed-park when Mino confessed to me.
“Jinwoo yah, I've something important to say to you.” The urgency in Mino’s voice was so obvious that time.
I looked at him, “yes?” And there is tears on his face, I can't bear to look at him like that. I looked away, “Mino yah, what's the matter? Why are you crying? Aren't your happy? We are here to have fun, but why the face?”
“Jinwoo yah, I can't hold it anymore. I don't know if it's right to feel something like this to you. But, I don't want us to be just best friend. I know you're feeling this too, and I just can't hide it anymore. I love you Jinwoo!!! I love you as a desirable man that need to be love. I love you more than my best friend. I'm taking a gamble, pls tell me that this wouldn't ruin our friendship.” And tears just streaming from Mino’s face. We are in a theme-park where all the people who comes here are feeling wonderful, and yet, on the bench beside the corner, where it's kinda secluded, with some fences covered with some vines, there we are. Faces very opposite to the theme of the theme-park. My heart feels like it will explode after hearing the love confession of Mino. The feeling is just overwhelming that it's so hard to form some words to say. 
“I guess the feeling is mutual, Mino yah.” I hold his hand, “Why don't we give it a shot? I mean, all is fair in love and war right?”
And cliché as it may be, we shield our understanding with a kiss. 


Our relationship as lovers began smoothly, we didn't tell to anyone even to our closest friends are affair. We want to protect one another from the indifference that a homouals can get from the society. But Mino came to a point that he wants more from our relationship. He wants to put it in another level. But I am not ready. I love Mino, no question about that, but I just don't have this courage to tell everything to my parents. I can't bear to hurt them. I just can't! And there is this guilt in my heart that keeps telling me to end what Mino and I have. That falling inlove to a same is not right. Morally and spiritually incorrect. Loving Mino was one of the best and courageous decision I have made in my entire life. He's the closest thing to me next to my family. He pampers me with his undying love and put me in a pedestal that every girl will envy me and wish that they are in my position. Mino never hurt me or make me cry. But some good things just never last.

My company sent me to another country to supervise the recruiting of new personnel that will work for the new branch of our company. With loads of work to do I end up forgetting to even send a message to my Mino. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder? Well, not for me. I dunno why, but it's not the same anymore. I just don't know what went wrong that I suddenly don't feel that love anymore for Mino. One afternoon I received a call from him, “Jinwoo yah , do we have a problem?” Mino said. I sigh and I know I owe Mino an explanation. Without beating around the bush, “Mino yah, I want to end our relationship.” There was no sound, no answer from him. With a calm voice, “Why?” Mino asked. “I don't know, it's just it's not there anymore. The love I have for you now is a love for a best  friend and I know we are having some problems in our relationship. I'm sorry Mino yah. I'm sorry that I can't admit to my family what we have. I'm sorry for letting you down. I'm sorry if saying all these things to you now are hurting you so bad. I don't want to loose you. I don't want to loose my best friend.” Saying those words bring heaviness to my heart because I know I'm hurting him. And Mino surprised me with his answer, “Don't feel burden and sorry Jinwoo yah.” His voice was so calm. “I know it will come to this. And I don't want to burden you also with our relationship, because we both know it's wrong. I'm letting you go. And don't worry you are still my best friend. And promise me, not to make the same mistake again.” Mino continued.” His words lighten the situation. “I promise Mino yah, and promise me that you will not fall to a guy again too. Promise me that.” “Jinwoo yah, I promise.”

Yes, we are still best of friends, we maintained it. We still communicate but not the same as it was before. I put some space between us, let time heals what it needs to heal. For months, I shifted my focus from Mino to my work. And work became my best friend. The time going back to Korea has come. I never told Mino when will I return home. Going back to my office in Korea was kinda nostalgic, but I need to bury that now at the back of my mind. Co-workers who saw me that afternoon in our company greeted me welcome back and some congratulatory words was flying every where. And there he was, standing in the corner of my office, my best friend, Mino. I smiled at him, “Mino yah!” And he walked towards me and give me a heart-warming hug, “Yah, Jinwoo yah, why you didn't tell that you're coming back today?” Mino said while hugging me. “I want to surprise everyone!” I replied with a big smile on my face. And as my officemate start going to their cubicle, I called Mino, “Yah Mino yah!” “Yes?!” Mino blurted out. “I will have a short vacation in my province in Imjado, I just think that maybe you'd like to come with me. I promise you before that I will bring you there, right?” I explained to him. And Mino is still the same, “yes, of course, I love that!” He enthusiastically answered back. 

Coming back to my birth place bring back some memories. Even Mino was happy, that finally he will meet my parents without nothing to hide and he knows Imjado holds some precious memories to me in my heart. My family was so hospitable and friendly to Mino. But while there, I noticed something. Mino keeps talking someone on his phone. He keeps texting to someone. This is quite new to me because before if Mino and I are together he will never answers any call or text messages in his phone. His priority is always me. But I think some changes happened while I was out of the country. And why I suddenly feel this heaviness in my heart? And that triggered my curiousity. While Mino and my dad was out, I heard the vibration of his phone on our small table in the living room. And because I know his phone password, I open the message inbox. And indeed, curiousity kills the cat, those messages I've read was beyond my imagination. Like what the happened in those months I didn't communicate with him. How the hell did this thing happen? And why the I'm feeling this way?! I quickly go outside and told Mino that we need to talk. Mino’s face was full of confusion. I walked away from my house, go to the park and there Mino followed me.
“What's this all about? What happened?” 
“Mino what is this?” I asked showing his inbox messages from his phone. “Are you having a relationship, with a man, again?!” “Why Mino? We promised before that we will not make the same mistake again, you promised that! I told him while suppressing all my emotions inside. “Who the hell is Taehyun?!” “Goddammit Mino answer me.”
“Taehyun is my boyfriend Jinwoo yah. I'm sorry I didn't keep my promise. I don't know how and when I fell in love with Taehyun. All I know is that he was there when you're not. I know you're trying to forget me and it hurts me a lot but I know it's the right thing to do. Taehyun was there to help me put into pieces what was broken. He was there to help me moved on. And it's your fault also Jinwoo coz it feels like you abandon me.” Mino explained without looking in my eyes. So much emotions are just waiting to explode that moment, pain, betrayal, lies . Like why did Mino broke his promise. Like why the he is blaming me. I only did the right thing for us. 

I cut my vacation short to my surprise of my parents. I just told so many things need to be done. While in the ship, Mino told me that things are not the same as before. There is a Nam Taehyun now in his life and that he loves him. 

Mino suddenly decided to stop communicating with me. He's avoiding me also in our work place. It's the best for both of us and that he don't want to see me sad because of him. And he don't want to have an issue between him and Taehyun because of me. I know it was me who chose to end what Mino and I and I know it's the right thing to do. But why? Why am I hurting? Is choosing the right thing is the RIGHT thing to do? I don't want to loose Mino. I don’t want to loose my best friend. I don't want to loose the only person who knows me deeply. Should I be happy for him? For them? This is the truth, and they say the truth will set you free. Am I free?  Is this the end of our friendship? Is this the end of our story?