Because You're Beautiful

Because You're Beautiful

Students were all scattering around the campus. Walk in groups of their choice of friends. Some were just walking alone, wearing earphone and not caring about what’s happening around them.

Wendy and Seulgi just talking animatedly about everything, giggling and laughing between them while walking to their locker. A black hair beauty just makes the smile on their faces wider, and their steps faster.

The slipping hands around her waist makes the books in her hands drops on the floor with a loud thud. Her whole body is shivering. Her grips on the locker door tighten and her knuckles turn white due to the hard gripping.

“Hey…calm down. It’s just me.” Irene’s tense body calms down at the familiar voice belong to her friend, Wendy. She turns her body around to meet the girl’s eyes. She delivers one hard slap to the girl’s arm.

“Ouchh!!! You sure got a move there, babe.”

“Don’t go and sneak around like that.” Irene’s voice was stern and her stare are cold.

“Irene…Wendy always does that. You should be getting used to it by now.” Seulgi said while her fingers caress Irene’s face gently. That gesture helps Irene to settle down. Wendy pouts seeing that reaction.

“You’re always relax and very accepting to Seulgi’s touches. But not mine…” She nuzzles her head on Irene’s shoulder affectionately.

“Because she likes me more than you, Wendy.” She ruffles Wendy’s hair. Wendy turns her head that is still hiding on Irene’s neck and grins childishly to both of her friends. Irene smiles sweetly at the girl who still holding on her waist and the other girl who intertwining hands with her’s.

“I like both of you.” She said timidly. Her eyes looking at everywhere except the girls face.

“Now, can both of you release me for a second. My books are still scattering on the floor. It’s knowledge, you know. You don’t play with knowledge.” A serious Irene makes both of them smile fondly and suddenly kisses her cheeks with a loud ‘chu’ sound and release the flustered girl. Irene was shock and her face blushes. With robotic moves, she kneels down to pick her scattering books one by one. Wendy and Seulgi chuckles and kneels down too to help Irene.

“You’re cute. So, let’s have breakfast together after this.” Irene looks at Wendy sceptically.

“You’re not going to have breakfast with me if I’m not…not cute?” Her voice came out so soft and almost inaudible. Seulgi smacks Wendy’s head at the changes of Irene’s face.

“You know what she’s really meant Irene. She’s just not good with words. In short, dumb.” This manages to makes Irene smile and got Seulgi smacked at the back of her head.

“I’m not dumb.” Wendy takes Irene hand. Stick her tongue out to Seulgi’s direction.

“Let’s go Irene.” She continues to drag Irene after putting the books back in the locker.

“Hey! Wait for me, you hamster!” Seulgi runs to catch up to her friends and intertwines her hand with Irene’s free hand.

[

The cafeteria was not different from any other places around their campus, crowded with students who’s eating or just talking with their friends. The three friends were sitting at far the end of the cafeteria. It is much quieter there.

“You hate green tea, but why you keep on drinking it every day?” Asked Wendy, then she continues taking a bite of chicken slice sandwich in her hand.

“Well, I hate my face, yet I still have to live with it.” Irene’s nonchalant answer makes Wendy choke on her sandwich and coffee spewed from Seulgi’s mouth. They can see pain in Irene’s warm eyes for a moment.

“Irene…”

“Hey! Isn’t it today the day that new batch of students entering our college? It must be good seeing new faces.” Seulgi said with a mock excitement. Sending a glare to Wendy’s direction and shaking her head. Wendy heaves a heavy sigh. Irene stirring her green tea mindlessly, and then taking a sip from it. Mere grimaces on her face at the taste of it and quickly disappear.

“I’m heading to class now.” Irene stands up from the chair and gathering all her stuff.

“I’m going with you. We have the same class, remember.” Seulgi said, also standing up.

“See you at lunch?” Wendy asked with an awry feeling. She doesn’t have the appetite anymore, and just stare at her sandwich blankly.

“Yeah! See you at lunch. Bye.” Seulgi takes Irene’s hand and continue heading to their art class, leaving Wendy behind.

Most of the class taken, Seulgi and Irene are always together. They love art. Painting, colouring, and sketching are always have been their way of communicating. While for Wendy, she was more into numbers. Counting and calculating is always her forte which is the ‘language’ that Irene and Seulgi will never understand. They don’t want to.

[

The art class today is rather peaceful and calm. All students giving their full concentration and commitment on the artwork that has to be done in about half hour in front of them. Today task requires them to draw persons that cross their mind right now. It is somehow an easy but quite hard task depending on the artist.

“Who are you drawing?” Seulgi asked casually as she already done with her task, eyes twinkling with excitement and satisfaction.

“You and Wendy.” Seulgi takes a peek at Irene’s drawing. It is indeed her face and Wendy’s. Maybe the beauty was enhanced a little. She looks satisfied with Irene’s yet another masterpiece.

“Who’s yours?” Irene asking without taking a glance.

“A very beautiful lady.” Irene raises her eyebrow and turns her head to look at Seulgi’s drawing. Her face contorted with pain immediately.

“Why did you draw my face?” Seulgi’s smiley face faded. Irene certainly doesn’t like her choice of ‘inspiration’ looking at the bitter face and those emotionless eyes.

“Why not? You’re so beautiful, Irene. Do you even realise that fact?” Irene chuckles bitterly, almost like mocking herself, running away from Seulgi’s gaze.

“Yeah…I know. I am. But, I hate it because my soul didn’t. It’s ugly in here.” Standing up from her seat, Irene takes a final glance towards Seulgi and walking away from there. She wants to go to the washroom, feeling needed to wash away whatever heavy feelings she has right now and cool down her burning heart a little.

 Seulgi was left speechless on her seat. Her mind was lost wandering before she even realise, her hands was grasping the air. There’s no longer Irene beside her. She sadly looks at the drawing in front of her.

“You’re so beautiful… Why can’t you accept that?” Softly the words uttered from her lips. A drop of tears fell on the drawing paper, staining the artwork that still manages to looks beautiful. The artwork that is Irene.

[

The three friends decided to eat lunch at the college compound today. The weather is very nice and it’s a great choice looking at the very much more crowded cafeteria due to the new students’ entrance.

“Hey, Seul…are you fine? You’re not even touching your food. It’s like I can see the black cloud above your head.” Wendy’s voices worriedly. Irene looks at the unresponsive Seulgi. Pulling out her hands from her lap, she gently touches Seulgi’s hand. Moving slowly and with the utmost care, taking it into her palm. The sweet gesture made Seulgi looking up and stares at Irene’s eyes, sending signal that she’s fine.

“Okay…is there anything happened that I didn’t know?” Wendy sounding so confuse with a hint of jealousy. Seulgi shakes her head rather instantly, kissing Irene’s knuckles.

“It’s nothing. I just lost my artwork in the class. I’m just sad because so far, that is my greatest artwork.” Seulgi sends a meaningful smile to Irene who ducks her head down guiltily. Seulgi squeeze her hands slightly to make her brings her head back up.

“Irene…you…”

“Irene unnie?” Wendy’s words were cut by another voice that doesn’t belong to either one of them. The three girls curiously try to look for the source of the voice. Irene retracts her hand from Seulgi’s grip, stands up abruptly at the sight of two new souls in front of her, and walks a little further from her friends to take a better look. Irene’s rather familiar reaction towards the newcomers making Wendy and Seulgi looking at each other confusingly. One of the strangers runs a little and crushes her body onto Irene’s, hugging her tightly.

“Irene unnie…I miss you. So much…” Irene just stood frozen in that girl’s embrace while her gaze is fixed on the other girl. She slowly escapes from the fiercely warm hug and speak coldly.

“Joy…What are you doing here?” Irene grits her teeth to hold herself together.

“3 years…3 years you were gone, and that’s the first thing you ask? Don’t you think that was rather cold and very unwelcoming, unnie?” Joy, the newcomer chuckles bitterly.

“That’s because I wasn’t expecting to see you ever again. Both of you…” Irene’s eyes never left the other mystery girl. Suddenly her eyes shut down and her whole body trembling when she felt a cold hand touches her bare arm.

“Don’t…touch…me…” Her voice sound so broken. Wendy quickly stands on her feet and comes running to Irene’s side. She gently takes the trembling girl into her embrace and caresses her back while whispering words of comfort on her ear.

“It’s okay. It’s going to be okay, Irene. You’re safe. You’re with me. I’ll protect you.” Irene grips on Wendy’s shirt tightly, burying her face on the crook of Wendy’s neck, finding comfort from the girl’s scent. Joy widens her eyes at the scene. A lot of thoughts came running down her mind.

“Hey…mind if I ask, who are you?” Seulgi asked after found her way to her friends and started to caresses Irene’s cheek naturally. Wendy also looking at the newcomers with Irene’s still in her arms.

“Oh, sorry. We’re the new students, juniors. And…best friend of Irene unnie from 3 years ago, before she disappeared. This is my cousin, Yeri.” The other girl hesitantly comes closer to them and smiles a little.

“Hello. Nice…nice meeting…meeting you.” Her words came out stuttering, hiding her face behind Joy’s tall figure.

“Sorry. Yeri…she can’t handle strangers…and a little bit hard to accept…touches. Just like…like Irene unnie…” Wendy can feel Irene’s body frozen again in her arms, and her face turns cold under Seulgi’s touch.

“Wendy…can we…I…I want to leave…” Irene struggles to voices her request. Wendy and Seulgi exchanging a meaningful looks.

“Okay baby…we’re leaving. You’ll be fine…” Wendy gives a little peck on Irene’s head.

“I’m very sorry. Irene’s not feeling well. We’ll be going first. Catch you girls some other time.” Wendy throws a sincere smile, gesturing Seulgi to pack up their things while bringing Irene even closer to her.

After giving their final smile and a little wave, Seulgi’s led both girls who’s stuck like a glue heading to the inside of the campus. But, their steps were put on hold by a soft voice.

“Bae unnie…I…I’m sorry…I miss… miss you…” Yeri’s voice struck the final point to Irene’s heart. She started crying silently while grabbing onto Wendy’s shoulder like her life depending on it. Wendy just patiently caresses Irene’s back while peppering Irene with simple kisses to soothe the pain. Seulgi also gently wipes away the tears that keep falling down from the beauty’s eyes.

The heart breaking but somehow beautiful scene makes Yeri’s heart crumbles down, so she decided to leave the scene while tugging Joy’s hand. Joy’s stumbled a little but quickly regains her composure knowing what her cousin’s meant. After taking a final glance at the three older girls, she intertwines her fingers with Yeri’s and walking away from there.

[

It was a beautiful and quiet night. But, somehow, it feels suffocating and hard to breathe for Irene. Her hands gripping tightly on the railing of balcony at Wendy’s bedroom. Her eyes wildly looking at the sky, trying to search for some peace and guidance that she doesn’t have right now.

Wendy insisted that she needs some company tonight, and what more she wants when she has Son Wendy. Sudden warmth encircling her waist makes her jolt in surprise, but quickly calms down and accepting the affection after remembering whose territory she’s in right now.

“Aren’t you cold? But, it’s okay. I’m here to warm you up.” Wendy whispers sweetly on her ear. Irene puts her cold palms above Wendy’s warm one that still protectively encircling her waist.

“I know you will. You always do.” Irene hums contently. After reluctantly opening her eyes, Irene slowly turning her body to face Wendy without breaking the contact. She encircles her arms around Wendy’s neck.

“You’re not going to ask? About what happened…at college earlier, my friends…” Irene’s voice was so soft and a little bit scared.

“Do you want to talk about it?” Wendy smiles lovingly, looking at Irene’s eyes. Irene shakes her head a little cutely.

“Then, you don’t have too. But, you must know that I’ll always be here for you when needed. You can always runs into my arms whenever it gets a bit too much for you to handle. When you’re cold, afraid, and even hungry, I… Son Wendy is at your service.” Wendy winks at Irene, ending her speeches.

“Thank you, Wendy. I know I can always count on you, and Seulgi.” Wendy pouts at that, remembering the scene earlier.

“Speaking of Seulgi, I’m jealous you know. Seeing you intimately holding her hands, caressing it gently and throwing that sweet smile of yours at her.” Irene’s eyes twinkling with happiness at the cute hamster rambling. She started caressing Wendy’s cheek softly.

“You’re jealous?” Irene continues squeezing both of Wendy’s cheeks.

“Oh, my god! You’re so cute…” Irene startled when Wendy gripping both of her hands and bringing it closer to her chest. Wendy started a staring contest that Irene doesn’t seem can escape from it. She doesn’t want too. Slowly, their faces becoming closer and closer until they can feel each other breath. Wendy can hear her heart beating getting faster. Looking at Irene’s eyes for any sign of rejection but, thankfully it doesn’t, just a pure curiosity and something else. When their nose finally touches, Irene’s eyes slowly closing, anticipating what’s coming, so, without waiting any longer, Wendy closing the gaps between their lips. Registering how soft and sweet Irene’s lips taste like.

After a few moment of tugging and pulling each other lips, Wendy breaking the contact reluctantly. Irene’s eyes flutters open. Her cheeks flush furiously. Both of them look breathless after their short but intense make out session.

Wendy filling the gaps between Irene’s fingers with hers and nuzzle their nose together.

“We also didn’t need to talk about ‘this’ if you doesn’t want to. Okay?” Irene nods her head timidly. Quickly hiding her blushing face on Wendy’s shoulder, making Wendy laughing contently while bringing the girl closer, engulfing her with warmth.

“You’re very beautiful, Irene. In and out, from head to toe, you’re just perfect. Don’t ever doubt that.” Irene tightens her arms around Wendy’s neck and gives a peck on her expose shoulder, feeling thankful and happy.

Not even trying to deny it, both of them know exactly what’s happening and changing between them. They doesn’t need words to convey it, just enough by looking into each other eyes. They will happily walking into the intent directions to explore more about their feelings, while holding hands.

[

The next morning came carving a wide and happy smile on Wendy’s face remembering the event occurred last night with Irene. She hopes the girl feels the same too, although she do realise the way Irene looks at her has change, while smiling shyly with happiness that reflected on her beautiful black eyes.

Wendy and Irene walking hand in hand, passing the flooded students and headed to the college cafeteria. Their eyes moving around wildly, trying to search for their charming bear friend. Once Seulgi’s spotted, they fasten their steps to the designated place but Irene’s body turns rigid once she saw another two girls were present there with Seulgi. The tall one was talking animatedly with the bear that making her laughing hysterically. While the smaller girl was timidly sipping her drink, watching the interactions between her cousin and her new found friend silently.

 “Hey…you’ll be fine. I’m here, right. It’s time for you to face them.” Wendy puts one of her arm around Irene’s shoulder, trying to comfort her. Irene looks at her with a flash of pain so; Wendy gives her a simple but sweet peck on the corner of her lips.

“Do you trust me?” Irene nodded.

“Good…because I think you can do this. I know so.” Irene smiles and tightens their clasping hands, continuing their steps to the original destination.

 

“Morning, you dumb bear!” Wendy ruffles Seulgi’s hair that makes Irene chuckles.

“Morning to you too, hamster! And of course, good morning to you my Bae princess.” Seulgi gives a light peck on Irene’s cheek then ruffles Wendy’s hair back.

“You girls are very affectionate towards each other. I’m very jealous, right Yeri?”

“Don’t do sarcasm with me now, Joy.” Irene said sternly while taking a seat beside Seulgi, pulling Wendy with her.

“I’m not. Sincerely, I miss us. We used to do things like that, with you kissing our cheeks. Now, both of them were the one kissing you. How ironic.”

“Really? Irene can be affectionate like that?” Wendy smacks Seulgi’s head from behind for that stupid question.

“If you’re really Irene’s friend, I think you don’t have the needs to make statements like that. She has a reason to become who she is right now, and I don’t have problem with that as long as she’s happy this very moment.” Wendy sending a glare to the younger girl, but calms down after feeling Irene’s palm above her clenching hand on the table. She smiles apologetically towards Irene.

“I’m sorry for Joy’s behalf. She just…just misses…Bae…Irene unnie. So much… forgetting what actually happened to her before.” Yeri never leaves Irene’s eyes when talking, sending her own personal messages through her eyes.

“What exactly happened to Irene? We’re really wanted to know, but she never spoke about it.” Seulgi asked carefully, afraid it might hurt Irene.

“I think I’ll pass it to Joy, to tell you the reason for her…for me…become who….who we are, right now. I’m going to have a moment with Bae unnie, privately.”

“Irene…”

“I’m going to be fine, Seul…I need to do this.” Seulgi tucks a strand of hair behind Irene’s ear and smile.

“I know you will. You’d do great!”

“Thanks…” Irene gives a brief hug to Seulgi and a light peck on Wendy’s cheek that make the girl smile shyly.

Those Irene’s little stunt makes Seulgi wonder, she never initiated any contact first, before. Irene was more on the receiving end than giving. But, now… she’s voluntarily gave Wendy a peck on the cheek, hands never leaving each other, and the way she clings onto Wendy today…something has change between them. Seulgi not exactly sure what, or maybe she does but she just tries to deny it.

[

Yeri left the group, following Irene to someplace quiet to talk. So, the three girls were left in an awkward silence after what happened a moment ago.

“Well…this is awkward, right Wen?” Seulgi breaks the silence.

“Look, I’m so sorry about what I said before. I guess…I was just a little bit bitter. Irene unnie…she was everything that I hope to have in a sister. She was, and still is a sister to me. While for Yeri, I feel really hopeless that I couldn’t do anything to help her. All these years, one was suffering in front of me, while I can still feel another one is suffering far away from me…” Joy wipes away a single tear that manage to escape from her eye.

“It’s okay. We get it. I just really dying to know what happened to Irene before, somehow involving your cousin too, Yeri.” Seulgi sounds a little bit desperate.

 “When we first met Irene, it was in high school. She’s like the walking angel, that doesn’t like to be look at and hates it more when touched. Seulgi and I decided we wanted to be friend with her, protect this fragile girl for whatever it cost. We even once made one guy coma, all because he thinks it’s ‘fun’ to go behind that poor girl, hug her tightly, and kissed her on the cheek. She was shaking terribly to some point, she fainted.” Wendy clenches and unclenches her hands repeatedly.

“Starting from that moment onwards, Irene started to warm up to us. But still, we couldn’t touch her. We were her only friends. We never really got the chance to ask her why she became like that, because when her last moments before she moved here were mentioned, there was a lot of pain in her eyes. So, we decided to just let it be.” Seulgi’s continues the story bitterly.

“And…it took us a fully whole semester, to get her comfortable with our warmth. To make her familiarize and accept our touches, be close to us. Now, as you can see, she only relaxes under our touches. It somehow anchors her back to reality, telling her that she’s going to be fine. Irene…she looks like those display items you see in the gift shop. ‘Nice to see, nice to hold. Once broken, considered sold’ that’s how other people look at her. She needs to be protected!” Wendy’s eyes turned red, trying to hold back her tears, while Joy who sits in front of her already wet with tears.

“Well, I heard enough. I think it’s time for you two to learn the truth behind the fragile Irene, and the broken soul of Yeri.” Joy completely dries her tears, and takes a deep breath before focusing back her gaze to Wendy and Seulgi.

“3 years ago, there’s something really terrible happened to Irene unnie and Yeri. Well, for a starter, you probably do realise how beautiful Irene unnie is. She’s walking with gracefulness throughout the school hall, sweeping everybody off their feet. Alongside that, she was super kind. She’s got a golden heart underneath that beauty. Being nice with others was like her nature, it’s in her blood and, that’s what gave her trouble.”

“What do you mean? Is this got anything to do with Irene hating her own face?” Wendy was getting impatient by second. She’s already imagining lots of bad things.

“Yeah…there’s this one weird dude, he’s got a crush on her, obviously. He stalked Irene unnie for a month, and it’s really scared the out of Yeri because she’s the one who always together with unnie wherever she goes. One…dreadful day…the stalker just turned into a kidnapper and a psychotic! He’s abducted Irene unnie, and Yeri who was there with her also got abducted. He got them…in his hands for 2 weeks!”

“What??!! Irene…what…what he did to her?” Seulgi’s voice is trembling.

“They were abused. Every. Single. Day. In front of each other eyes! They were touched everywhere by that filthy, scumbag guy! One day, he just had enough of staring and touching. He wants more. And, Yeri’s the first one. Something about ‘save the best for the last’. He was so ing disgusting! He Yeri…in front of Irene unnie’s eyes…she was…she was bound to a chair…blood dripping everywhere…she can’t…she can’t even shout. She was there…helplessly forced to watch her lover, being . That will surely damage her for her whole life! Both of them…” Seulgi’s grips on Wendy’s hand turning harder by second the story turns darker.

“Yeri was…was Irene’s…girlfriend?” Wendy’s questioned with hurt and pain in her voice. She doesn’t know what makes her heart constricted so hard right now. The tragedy that happened to Irene or the fact that Yeri was her girlfriend. Or maybe still is.

“They never declare it. To be exact, they were never exclusively dating. The three of us really close to each other. Irene unnie took care of us, very affectionate but somehow, Yeri was a different case. She was a lot more gentle, staring lovingly, talking softly, and damn they even flirting with each other in front of me!” A small smile carving on Joy’s lips.

“Wow! So much for a tragic love story.” Seulgi quipped bitterly.

“So, Irene…she was…was too?” Wendy asking with pleading eyes, hoping that the disaster didn’t happened to Irene.

“No. By the time he was trying to her too, police finally found them. He never got the opportunity to her but, the damage was done. She was molested every day! I saw the pictures. What the scene looks like when they found them. It’s horror! Yeri was…tied…tied on the bed, in her own blood…while Irene unnie…was bound on the chair…body bruising…blood dripping…and she was crying…she was shouting at the police who untied her. Struggling and kicking everybody who was trying to touch her then she fainted. She was in coma after that. For a week. By the time she woke up, Yeri’s already shuts everyone down around her, including Irene unnie and me. I guess…that is why Irene unnie hates her face so much. Because of her beauty, she’s got the attention of a psychopath, she was abducted and Yeri was . She’d thought Yeri blame her but, she’s not. She just doesn’t know how to face Irene unnie after…after she…she got in front of her eyes. I think…because of that Irene unnie left. She never came back.” Joy’s shakily trying to take a sip of coffee from her cup. Wendy and Seulgi was tongue tied. Couldn’t say a word, too shock, too angry, and too sad to even lift their head from looking at their own fingers, fidgeting on their laps.

“I swear…I. Will. Kill. That. Son of a !” Wendy channelling her anger by crumpling a paper cup harshly. Well, it doesn’t help much.

“You don’t have too. 2 years ago, he committed suicide. Police found Irene unnie’s name carved on his chest. In his death, he still got the creepy move.”

“Woah! Till the end, the scumbag was still crazily devoted to Irene.”

“That’s not crazily devoted, Seul. He’s just a psychopath who’s too obsessed with Irene.”

Seulgi and Joy exchanging meaningful looks, silently agreeing with Wendy’s statement. Silence once again engulfing them, but not an awkward one this time.  Wendy and Seulgi are taking their time to slowly digesting the information of tragedy that happened to Irene and Yeri. While Joy is deeply regretting that she wasn’t there when Irene needs her the most and, she couldn’t do anything to help her cousin, Yeri.

[

Irene and Yeri sat face to face in an empty classroom. The class won’t start until one hour later so, this is the best place for them to have a private conversation.

“You have really good friends, unnie.” Yeri breaks the silence.

“Thanks. They were there when I needed them. Even if I kept on pushing them, they never waver. They trust me too much, so I’ve decided to return their trust too.”

“By trusting them. It’s good to know that you’re always having somebody behind your back.”

“We’re not here to talk about who’s behind my back, Yeri.” Irene was getting impatient, and she feels like it’s hard to breathe.

“Right. I’m sorry, unnie. I…”

“What are you sorry for? You’ve done nothing wrong to me, Yeri.”

“And so do you, unnie. I know you blamed yourself for…for what happened to me, to us 3 years ago.”

“It is. It is my fault! Because of…because of this face…this damn face!” Irene shouted. Yeri gets up from her sit and slowly walk to Irene side. She hesitatedly brings the older girl into her arms. Irene’s body turns rigid and completely cold. She closes her eyes and tries to calm her heart down. Trying to say to herself that it’s just Yeri, and she’s picturing Wendy’s face in her mind. She remembered how warm her ‘best friend’s’ body is.

“When you’re in coma, I was in a completely devastated state. I couldn’t look at myself in the mirror. It’s terrifying me if anyone wants to touch me, even my own parents. And I…I couldn’t look you in the eyes because…because you saw…everything. How…how he touched me. I don’t…I don’t have anything to give to you anymore…I’m ruined. I’m dirty!” Irene pulls Yeri’s trembling body that is still hugging her, making her sit on Irene’s lap.

“You’re not…you’re perfect, Yeri. Always…whatever I gave you before, I’ve never expect a return. I did it…because…because I want to.” Irene stares deep into Yeri’s eyes. Yeri connects their forehead together that makes Irene’s gasps.

“You’re perfect too. I wanted to give my all to you and now, I still do. I’ve had lost the precious thing to me. I’ve still got my heart. A heart that was, and still is beating for you, unnie…I want to give it to you…” Irene hardly swallows all Yeri’s confession at the tip of her lips.

“Yeri…I can’t…”

“Sshh…I know. Your heart…it’s not mine anymore, right?” Yeri gives a kiss on the corner of Irene’s lips. She lingers there for a moment, trying to absorb Irene’s scent, savouring the feeling of Irene’s skin that’s so cold on her lips.

“I’ll let…I’ll let you go, unnie. But, please…please keep holding my hands through this life. I need you…we need each other to heal, to forget our dark past, to be brave again…please?” Yeri’s now holding on to both of Irene’s hand desperately, pleading with glassy eyes.

“I’ll be here with you…with every steps taking, we’ll do it together.” Irene smiles and gives a small peck on Yeri’s cheek that makes her blush.

“Thanks, unnie. For everything.”

“Thanks to you too, for letting me in again. Well, hoping that I don’t have to ask permission for letting myself again in your life after this.”

“Don’t worry, unnie…you don’t have to. I don’t have any reason to shut you out of my life.”

“Before I forgot, what’s the reason you left town, unnie?” Irene tries to soothe Yeri’s creasing eyebrow.

“Because…I was hurt, both mentally and physically. I’ve had just woke up from a coma, went to your house and you doesn’t want to meet me. How’s that supposed to make me feel?” Yeri gently caressing Irene’s cheek while talking.

“I’m really sorry. I do. I’ve never thought about how you might feel, how it will damage you too, I was so selfish. For that, I’m truly sorry, unnie. I’ll make it up to you. Just promise me something.”

“And what’s that?” Irene slowly Yeri’s hair.

“Stop blaming yourself. Stop hating your beautiful face because it’s not a damn thing. It’s a blessing. You’re really beautiful, Bae unnie.” The tears fall freely from Irene’s eyes. She hugs Yeri’s body tightly. Her face is in the crook of Yeri’s neck while Yeri her hair lovingly, humming comfort words to her ears.

She will need some time to forgive herself completely. She needs a lot of time to be able accepting living with that beautiful face of hers. And she certainly needs the most time in the world to be brave again and look people in the eyes without hating them or be scare of them. She will go through this all, together with Yeri simply because they have each other to lean on and great friends by their sides.

[

Irene and Yeri walking hand in hand, heading to the locker where the other three girls patiently waiting for them. At the sight of her cousin holding hand with her favourite unnie, Joy smiles so widely. But, Wendy and Seulgi don’t like the sight of that tightly clasping hand. They’re just forcing a smile at the seemingly more bright and confident Irene.

When her eyes landed on Wendy’s somehow pained eyes, Irene slowly lets Yeri’s hand go. Throwing a small smile towards Yeri, she runs a little and straight into Wendy’s warm embrace. Nuzzles her nose cutely on Wendy’s shoulder and looks deeply on her eyes.

“You’re already sorted things out?” Irene nods timidly.

“Good. I’m glad.” Irene leans in to give a kiss on the corner of Wendy’s lips. Wendy heard a few gasping sound beside her, but she doesn’t care. All she cares about is the beautiful, precious, and an important girl in her arms at the moment.

“You don’t have to worry about me anymore. And…you don’t have to be jealous too. You knew it too well why you shouldn’t be jealous, at all.” Irene stares into her eyes lovingly and smiles sweetly. Wendy swears she melts completely on the floor at this new side of Irene. Well, maybe the old side of Irene. Whatever it is, she loves all of Irene. For now, and forever…

“News flash, babe…I really want to kiss you on the lips right now. So, we better get the hell out of here quickly.” Wendy whispers on Irene’s ear. Irene’s face was furiously blushing.

“N…now? We’ve got class in 10 minutes.”

“Well, I rather spend my time kissing this beautiful lady in my arms right now than calculating the weight of an old lady.” Wendy’s eyes twinkling in happiness.

“Girls…excuse us. We’re ditching the class today. Got something better to do. Catch you girls later.” After finishing her sentences, Wendy takes Irene by the hand and drag her, heading to only God knows where. Leaving the three completely stunt girls.

“Looks like you lost, Seulgi unnie.” Yeri said carefully.

“Yeah…I did. But, she’s happy. Wendy makes her happy, makes her feel beautiful, makes her feel safe, and I couldn’t be more happy about it. Love is not something that you can own, you earn it. Well, I’ve got her to love me as a friend, so I’m good.” Joy pats Seulgi’s back, comforting her.

“You’re right. If it makes you feel even better, I lost too.” Seulgi throws an apologetic smile to Yeri’s direction.

“I feel so sorry for both of you. Falling for a same girl, ended in the same road. Rejection. So, I think both of you can talk to each other about the traits of Irene unnie that you felt for, then maybe you girls can date along the way.” Joy was smacked on her shoulders loudly by Seulgi and Yeri.

“Ouchh!!! That’s ing hurt! Thanks very much. I was just trying to give you a solution.”

“A very bad one, you must say. Remind me again, why am I related to you?” Yeri rolls her eyes at Joy.

“Well, maybe you can blame our grandparents. Why they had to give birth to our mothers as sisters.”

“Mmm…maybe you girls can…take this family matters…at home. Public domestic violence is a crime, you know.”

The two cousins ignore Seulgi words of sarcasm completely but still dragging her with them through the college hallway while still quarrelling with each other. They might have lost something important in their life, but they gained something more in return. Friendship. Nothing can beat that. Friends that know our darkest secret but still stay by our side. That’s when you know, its friends for keeps, friends for life.

[

A few months has passed. The five of them were inseparable. Joy was just being her joy self. Seulgi and Wendy started taking care and protecting Yeri too when her traumatic event comes by. The relationship of Irene and Wendy is getting stronger day by day but they never put a label on it. The other three girls know there was always something more in their relationship although they never spoke about it. They can see the way they look at each other in the eyes, the way Irene relax under Wendy’s touches, the pain and guilty look on Wendy’s face when Irene having her fall down moment. All those sweet moments don’t need to spoke what’s the meaning behind it. They just knew by heart. They may be broken inside, but they’re mending each day together. No one’s get left behind if you just love…