The Unexpected Interview

Sight

It’s only 8 in the morning as you step off the metro, walking up the stairs as the wind from the leaving train follows you up into the sunlight. You take a deep breath, reveling in the clean air and the empty streets that mark the start of the day.

Turning towards the river, you approached your favorite café, greeting the barista as you entered. You sat down in front of the window facing the street, and smiled thanks at Étienne, the barista, as he brought you your usual cappuccino and a pain au chocolat. There were only a few other customers in the store, so he sat down next to you, wanting to catch up a little before the day picked up.

“Haven’t seen you around in the morning as much lately, how’ve you been?”

“Ah, you know, been too lazy to get up a little earlier to get my fix, I’ve had to do without your liquid art.”

He laughed. “Work been busy lately?”

“A bit, but I’ve just finished up an assignment. Apparently I get a new one today so I wanted to come in extra awake and ready to go.”

“Ah, in that case, let me bring you another to go when you’re done.”

“You don’t have to do that, Étienne, really.”

“Oh but I want to.” He threw you a wink as he got up to help a customer that had just come in.

You sat, sipping your cappuccino and enjoying the chocolate bread, and watched as the world started to wake up. People opened their windows up above the stores, and the street filled steadily with people headed to work, starting their day.

When you finally stood up, turning to go pay for your drink, something on the wall caught your eye. As you paid, you asked Étienne, “When did you guys get that new piece of art? It’s beautiful. And somehow familiar.”

He turned to look at what you were talking about. It was an extraordinary watercolor of the view outside the café.

“Oh, we actually just got that yesterday. Of course it seems familiar; you spend so much time looking at the same thing in real life. One of our new regulars spent all day on it and then asked if we would like to keep it. Of course I said yes.”

“Don’t give me that, I meant the style seemed somehow familiar. And new regular? You know that’s an oxymoron, right?”

Étienne laughed. “Yeah, but he’s been coming in at some point of the day every day for about a week, so I’m gonna call him a new regular.”

“Mmmm if you say so~” you sang as you turned away from the counter.

“Hey! Don’t forget the extra coffee for the road. I made it with love, you know.”

You threw him a grateful smile, grabbed the to-go cup, and stepped out the door.

 

“_______!”

You looked up from your desk. “Hey, Justine, what’s up?”

“Maude is looking for you, probably about your next assignment.”

“Oh great, where is she?”

“Her office? Or maybe grabbing coffee from the coffee machine, you know how she is.”

The two of you laughed, and you walked over to your boss’s office.

You knocked twice on the heavy black wood, then opened the door.

“Ah, ______. Come in, come in. I loved your previous piece, but alas, we must continue to move on. Your next assignment is an interview on an artist that people have been seeing all over the city.”

You nodded, a little disappointed. You had hoped for something more high profile, like the Fondation Louis Vuitton’s next big exposition, but this could be fun too.

“Don’t look like that. Apparently he’s very elusive and never gives anyone his name. We only know that he gives people their portraits after he’s drawn them, and they’re absolutely stunning. He’s mysterious, and everyone knows you love a good mystery.”

You laughed. “Just because I’m obsessed with crime thrillers and Sherlock Holmes?”

“Precisely. Anyway, we know his initials are K.J. and one of our interns had the prescience to give him our card when she ran into him, saying we might be interested in doing an article. He called, of course. What artist doesn’t need more exposure?” She laughed quietly to herself.

You shook your head. You loved Maude but sometimes you wondered if she was really here because she loved art or because she liked to mock the “starving artists” who hadn’t made it yet.

“Alright, okay. How do I get in contact with him then, to do the interview?”

“Oh no need. He’s already set up a time and place. Here.”

She handed you a sticky note. Huh. Guess I’ll be seeing Étienne again today.

 

30 minutes later, you were walking back though the doors of your favorite coffee shop. 

“Salut!”

“Ah, _______! Encore?”

You laughed. “I’m here to do an interview, apparently.”

“At chez moi? I’m flattered.”

“Don’t be, I didn’t choose the venue. Actually. I don’t even know what the guy looks like.”

“Oh. Well, remember how you were asking about this?” He gestured to the painting on the wall behind him. “He’s here.”


He looked up at the sound of the jingling bell. He was supposed to meet someone from the magazine today for an interview, and he was nervous. It was about time for them to show up, right? He wiped his palms on his jeans, and clicked his heels together.

The woman who came in the door was beautiful and – he was sure he had seen her before, sure that he had drawn her before. He could never forget a piece he’d made. He watched her banter with the barista, and looked away quickly when both of them looked his way. Returning to his doodle, he looked up again when someone approached his table.

It was her.

“Hi! I’m ________. Are you the artist K.J.?”

To call her beautiful would be a gross understatement. He remembered now, chasing after her over the bridge, picking up her scarf, the way she’d smiled in thanks.


He didn’t answer you, just looked up wordlessly, eyes wide. You coughed awkwardly, looking away. Maybe it isn’t him.

“My name is Kim Jinhwan.”

“A-ah. Okay. Um. I’m ________, from artpress. I’m here to do an interview?”

He gestured to the seat across from him, and waited for you to sit before giving you a soft smile.

“So, what can I tell you about me?”


He fielded all her questions, giving her as much as he was willing to share but no more. And the whole time, his eyes never left her face.  I hope this doesn’t make her uncomfortable, he thought in the back of his head.

“Jinhwan?”

“Yes?”

“Okay, last question. Is there something on my face?”

He laughed. “Why, yes.”

Her hands immediately flew to her face. “Where?!”

“All over it, the definition of beauty.”

She blushed, dropping her hands. “Oh. Um, thank you.”

“Do you still have that sketch of you?”

“What? Oh! That was you!”

He smiled. “If you don’t believe me, look at it often. You’re every bit as beautiful as you think the woman in that sketch is.”

“Ah. Well,” she said as she stood, “thank you so much for your time. I’ll send you a copy of the – “

He grabbed her arm.

“Wait. Please. Can I see you again?”


“Can I see you again?” he had asked you.

You looked down at his hand, and then back at his face, hopeful and shy and determined all at once, then smiled.

“If you like my favorite café so much, I’m sure I’ll see you again, don’t you think?”