Foolish Hearts

Foolish Hearts

It was really late at night and Irene very aware of that fact, as she also will be exposing to random strangers, drunkards, and even nosy paparazzi. But she will take every risk and chance so she could just run away for a while from the heavy and suffocating atmosphere at her dorm. She couldn’t face any of her members right now. Not even her lovable maknaes, Joy and Yeri. And she certainly doesn’t want to be in the presence of Seulgi and Wendy.

Hah… those two beautiful ladies who were younger than her can really make her brain exploded and even could be the cause of her death!

Irene sits silently at one of the benches provided at the park across her dorm. She heaves a really heavy sigh while looking at the starry sky. She doesn’t know what to feel at the moment, nor does she have any idea what to do regarding the situation that tangles her life right now.

“Found you.” That’s it! A voice belongs to one of the two persons that she really doesn’t want to meet right now. She can feel the person sits beside her on the bench. A unique orange fragrance awakens her sensitive sense.

“You really shouldn’t walk away from the door this late at night, Irene. You make the girls worried. I’m completely very worried.”

“I just need some air to breathe.” Irene finally breaks her silence. Her fingers drumming uncomfortably on her lap.

“What happened back there?” A not so curious but concern question.

“I think you’re very much aware what happened. I really don’t want to voices the situation, the scene that already unravelled in front your very eyes Wendy.” Irene feels like she would faint anytime by now due to her clenching heart.

“I am. I was. I’m hurt.”

“And you think I don’t?!” Irene raises her voice slightly.

“Why would you?” There’s a very heavy sadness in Wendy’s voice. Irene notices this. But she knew the reason.

“She…she kissed me, Wendy. Seulgi. Kang Seulgi kissed me, with tears running down her cheeks! What do you think I should feel?” Irene let it out harshly.

“Yeah… my girlfriend kissed you. And I saw it. I thought you should be happy she kissed you. Why wouldn’t you?”

“Are you out of your mind?!! Why would I? She’s your girlfriend. Not mine.”

“Well, she is. But…you…you love her don’t you? You love Seulgi. It hurts you seeing her with me. But when she kisses you, you should be happy. Because she completely forgotten that she has a girlfriend and just kiss you, pouring her deep and concealed love for you.”

Irene just wants to pull her hair really hard because her brain hurts like hell!

“What??!! Where the hell did you hear that? Certainly not from my own mouth. I do love her, as a sister. That’s it. Not more or less than that.” Wendy raises her eyebrow in confusion.

“But…but I thought…I thought you love her more than that. That’s why…that’s why we decided to be in this relationship” Wendy’s lips quivering.

“Sorry? You dated her because you… you thought I love her?” Irene really thought that she could commit suicide right now.

“You’re not…you’re not in love with Seulgi?” Wendy is very shock knowing that. She needs a little time to absorb this. So, she was wrong. They were wrong. There’s a pure sincerity and confusion in Irene’s black eyes.

Wendy releases a bitter chuckle. Irene wants to smack her head at that.

“Do you want to hear one very funny story, Irene?”

“I don’t have time for that Wendy. I don’t feel like laughing this very moment.” Wendy ignored that. She still wants Irene to listen.

“Seulgi loves you. She thought you love me, while I thought you love her. The funny thing is, I love you. I, Son Seungwan or Wendy loves you, Irene. Seulgi and I thought that you’re in love with either one of us. Never really thought you could love us on our own. So, we or rather I suggested that we should be together. Find comfort and solace from each other. Seulgi doesn’t want to at first. She said that we could try to win your heart fairly. But I thought it would be impossible. I was very greedy and selfish at that time. If I can’t have you, so is she. But really, I just love you.” Wendy finally has the gut to look at Irene in the eye at the last sentence.

Irene was lost for words. No. It was rather she lose her tongue all along and maybe her mind too. This is ridiculous! Wendy loves her. Seulgi loves her. And they thought it would be ‘fun’ to date each other. Suddenly this messed up thing happened. Who is she? Why didn’t anyone cared about what she feels?

“Who are you? The Wendy that I knew was very wise and considerate. And you…you’re not even using that smart brain of yours! Have you ever thought what I might feel? Seulgi, don’t you care about her? She was your best friend! You saw what state she was in just now. There’s her shattering heart on the floor Wendy! Not the glass, but her heart!” Irene almost lost her breath and her lips trembling. Her whole body was shaking with anger and disappointment. She doesn’t want to believe that Wendy could take a very reckless action. But she already was.

“Irene…I…” Irene push Wendy’s reaching hand harshly. She stood up quickly from the bench. Want to get away from there as soon as possible. She doesn’t want to be near Wendy right now when her emotion is not stable. She’s afraid she might do something that out from her comfort zone. She could even strangle the younger girl without hesitation! And that thought scares her. She needs to leave.

“I don’t want to hear anymore Wendy. I’ve had enough tonight. I’m exhausted. I can’t…I can’t look at you right now. I’m sorry.” Wendy tries to grab Irene’s hand, but fail. She already started walking away for there.

“Do you want to know the sad truth, Wendy? I’m in love with you.” Irene said without looking at her and quickly continues her steps while tears falling non-stop on her beautiful face. Her eyes blur from the tears, but she doesn’t care. If she could, she wants to just run away and never stop.

Wendy’s body became a statue. She was frozen and the realization hits her. She screams but not a sound produced. She cries but not a single drop of tears present. She feels like her heart is crushed with a wrecking ball.

“She loves me too…I’m so ing stupid! Idiot! Selfish! Seulgi…” Wendy’s body drops on the ground with a loud thud. She feels so lifeless. There’s no strength left. She can’t think anymore. She just wants to close her eyes. She might lose her two most important ladies in her whole life. Or maybe she already is.

[

The scene before her eyes was very heart breaking. Irene’s right. She literally can see Seulgi’s shattering heart on the floor. She was exactly at the same spot Irene left her and the last time Wendy saw her. She was on the corner of their shared bedroom, looking mindlessly at nothing with a blank eyes and dried tears on her cheeks.

Wendy carefully brings her steps to her girlfriend. Can she still call Seulgi that? Without any sound, she drops her body and sit beside the other girl. Their shoulder touches.

“Is Irene fine?” The first words that came from a broken Seulgi.

“Are you?” Wendy asked back while staring into those glassy eyes.

“What about you?” Wendy chuckles.

“What are we? A kindergarten? Have so many questions for their teacher. Just…in this case, only we ourselves have the right answer.” Seulgi manage to smile at that.

“You saw it, didn’t you?” A simple nod from Wendy.

“I’m so stupid for pulling that kind of stunt. I scare her off, didn’t I? And I hurt you. Both of you.” Seulgi continues.

“You’re hurting too. Just so you know, we make a great pair because I’m stupid too. Only that I’m an even bigger fool in this world. I made a stupid suggestion without thinking of the consequences and predicting the outcome of it. In the end, I hurt the one girl that I’ve ever love with my whole heart. Both of us love her… We should be preparing a loaded gun with loves; instead, I pull a trigger to a real bullet contained poison to her heart. And unfortunately, you were slightly hit by it too.” Wendy almost chokes by her own words. Seulgi reaches out and pulls her body towards her, letting Wendy’s head rest on her shoulder.

“My abrupt stunt today told me something, Wendy. It’s an interesting one. Irene…she…she’s in love with you. When I kissed her, the only reflection that I saw in her eyes, was your face, and not mines. That proofs that I was right.” Finally tears streaming down Wendy’s face hearing that from Seulgi’s mouth that sounds very broken and clouded with great sadness.

She feels her shoulder becoming wet. So, Seulgi made up her mind.

“Let’s break up.” Wendy laughs a little and looks at Seulgi pale face.

“You’re really just wanted to be the first person to say that, aren’t you?” And it’s the first time that a smile really reaches Seulgi’s eyes.

“Seulgi, let’s be sisters” Wendy offers her hand for a handshake. Seulgi instantly grabs it and pull her for a hug.

“Hey, sisters can’t date each other, okay?” Wendy whisper to her ear and it makes Seulgi giggling. She breaks the hug after a while.

“Yeah…that’s why Irene and I will never happen. I’m a sister to her.” The smile faded from her face.

“Seul…”

“Don’t. I’m fine. Not now, but I will be. But you…you need to go to her and confess your heart out.”

“I’ve done that.”

“What??!!” Seulgi’s eyes go wide, well not really, as she only has small eyes.

“Yeah, just now. At the park. And she rejected me. I…guess…”

“You guess??!! Why would she, when she loves you too?” Confusion swirls in Seulgi’s eyes.

“Because…I’m not just confessed my feelings for her, but also what happened between us. She was mad. Why won’t she when I broke her sister’s heart.”

“Me? You was rejected because of, me?”

“Seems like it.” And Seulgi slaps Wendy’s arm very hard.

“Ouch!!! What the hell Seulgi?!” Wendy rubs her arm harshly.

“You’re not only stupid, but also a very slow hamster!” Seulgi shaking her head disappointedly.

“Yah! Who are you calling slow? I’m your sister.”

“I’m calling my stupid sister slow.” Wendy cutely pouting at that statement.

“That action won’t work on me. Maybe with Irene, it will. So, use your charm to finally make her yours. Apologise to her from deep of your heart. Show your sincerity and your undying love for her. Don’t waste the opportunity, Wendy. Because before you know it, somebody might snatch her away from your hold. It’s Bae Irene after all. Everyone has the potential to fall for her.” She ended her speeches with a sincere and content smile.

“I’m so happy having you as my sister. I could kiss you right now.”

“Nope. Sisters don’t do that.”

Wendy grins widely and intertwines her fingers with Seulgi’s. They continue sitting at the corner of their shared bedroom with a comfortable silence. 

[

The next morning after the eventful night is rather peaceful and calm. Irene’s quietly sipping a hot coffee on the living room. She was alone. The maknaes decided to watch movies at the mall together on their group’s free day. Wendy and Seulgi are still fast asleep. She thinks. But, whatever it is, she doesn’t know whether she’s ready to face both of them. She doesn’t know what the outcomes of the event from last night. Wendy pretty much saw Seulgi, her girlfriend kissed Irene, and both of them had to confess their feelings for Irene in the same night. She’s still digesting and reasoning Wendy and Seulgi, her ‘girlfriend’ actions.

“Specially homemade for you. Freshly from the oven, well a couple of hours ago, but still fresh.” Irene almost jumps from the sudden voice. She’s searching for the source of the voice and Seulgi’s face come into view, with a carrot cake on her hands.

“Carrot cake? Are you completely fine? Are you suddenly going insane and possess the talent of baking my favourite cake? Because if you are, I’m very sorry I break your heart. I don’t have…” Seulgi stops Irene babbling with a finger on her lips. For a short moment, Irene saw a broken heart behind Seulgi’s eyes but quickly disappear and replaced with a sincere joy.

“Don’t worry. I’m not the one who made this. It’s Wendy.” Seulgi feels proud of herself for being able to hold in her tears and shaking heart considering a single contact with Irene’s skin still has a great effect on her.

“Wendy? When she made this? It was pretty late at night when…never mind.” She senses the hesitation in Irene’s voice. Seulgi carefully puts down the carrot cake on top of the coffee table at their living room. She continues taking a sit on the couch beside Irene.

“We broke up. Settling on with just being sisters instead.”

“I’m sorry.” Irene said slowly.

“Don’t be. You don’t have any reason to feel sorry, not when my stupid ex-girlfriend and my stupid self is in love with you. We brought this to ourselves and it affects you too.”

“You’re very precious to me Seulgi, a very important person in my life. You’ve been with me for the longest time. I’m not looking for any option of losing you. I’m very sorry I couldn’t grant what you want from me. If only…if only I can tell my heart…”

“Don’t. I’m content with what we have right now. You’re not going to lose me. I’m here with you. Always will, till the end of your journey. But, we both know that you and Wendy love each other. So, here I am helping my stupid ex-girlfriend delivering your favourite cake, baked by her with love, as an offer of apology.”

“You’re helping your ex-girlfriend? That’s very nice of you. But, I would prefer she give it to me herself. Apology should be done face to face.” Irene beams a smile to Seulgi’s direction. She blushes at that. She clears her voice.

“Hey, ex-girlfriend! Come out, come out. Your future girlfriend wants to meet you.” It is Irene’s turn to blush. Wendy came out from her bedroom and walking timidly towards Seulgi and Irene’s direction. She scratches behind her neck shyly with a very red face.

“You…you should call me unnie, not ex-girlfriend.” Wendy’s voice came out almost inaudible to both of them.

“Never. I’m the older one. You… should be calling me unnie.”

“I’m not going to. Never will I ever call you that.” Wendy retaliates.

“Being sisters makes you quarrel. You should date each other again.” Irene mindlessly voices her opinion.

“No!” Both of their voices startled the poor Irene’s weak heart greatly. Seulgi and Wendy stare at each other with meanings.

“It’s time I leave both of you. Now, it’s all in your hands Wendy. I didn’t give up for you to fail. Make it right, or I’m going to snatch her away in front of your eyes.” After having said that, Seulgi got up from the couch and going to leave the two future lovers alone. But, not before she stole a kiss on the cheek from Irene. She quickly runs away from the living room, leaving a very stunt bunny and a jealous hamster.

“Adds the more reason why I shouldn’t call her unnie.” Wendy crosses her arms and takes a sit on the couch near Irene’s.

“The cake’s for me?” Irene started.

“Oh, yeah. It’s an apology gift from me for you.”

“Apology for what, exactly?” Wendy takes a really deep breath and face Irene completely.

 “For everything. For being such a stupid human being ever! For being inconsiderate towards how Seulgi’s might feel and didn’t bother to check on your feelings first, the one and only love of our life. I’ve failed at being a good best friend and even girlfriend to Seulgi. But, I don’t want to fail again with you.” Wendy is on the verge of tears. Irene tightens her grips on the couch edge.

 “What are you trying to say, Wendy? Aside for feeling sorry at being a complete jerk towards Seulgi and me.” Irene’s lips quivering. She bit her lips a little, relying on the pain to focus her ears to Wendy’s. Seeing that, Wendy quickly gets down on her knees in front of Irene. Reaching her hands to grab Irene’s hands on hers. She slowly rubs Irene’s knuckle to soothe the pain that invades that beauty’s black eyes.

“What I’m trying to say is, I’m really…really sorry. Forgive me, please. Because I’m…I’m completely…foolishly… in love with you. Would you mind to accept this foolish heart of mine into your care? Please…be my…be my girlfriend. Be mine …” Tears already streaming down on both of their faces. Irene shaking her head slightly. Hurt and pain swimming in Wendy’s eyes.

“I’ll be a fool too if I said no. I’m willing to be yours, Wendy.” She smiles widely at Irene’s words. Fingers smoothly wipe the running tears on her lover’s face.

“But, please…please be careful with my heart.” Wendy smiles sadly at Irene’s pleading eyes. She kisses each of Irene’s delicate fingers while staring lovingly into her eyes.

“I’m not going to hurt you, my love… I love you too much. Now, just say what I can do to erase that pain in your heart.” Irene moves closer to Wendy’s face and whisper.

“Kiss me…” Without any words, Wendy’s lip touches Irene’s, sending million watts of electricity through both of their bodies. Her fingers caresses Irene’s nape lovingly, while I love you’s continuously exchanging between their lips.

[

Seulgi clenches her shirt near her heart placed tightly. She smiles and just let tears falling down freely from her eyes. She’s genuinely happy for both of her sisters. But, she also can’t hide the pain of losing the only girl that she ever loves. Bae Irene.

She’s hurting right now but, she certain that her heart will heal again. Maybe not completely, or anytime sooner, but she still have the girls as her sisters. She’s happy and proud of having them as a family. A little heartbroken won’t change the fact that the bond between five of them unbreakable.

She’s happy. She will be. They all will, as long as they didn’t let go of each other hands and continue moving forward to their future. Together…

They do have a foolish heart. But, because of their foolish hearts, they were able to love and appreciate people around them. People who had always been there and doesn’t have the intention to leave them no matter what happen. People who loyally and sincerely showers them with unending love and care.

It’s no longer Seulgi loves Irene. Irene loves Wendy. Wendy loves Irene.

Because really, in the end they love each other unconditionally.