Waiting

Waiting

It was Christmas Eve, and snow fell steadily outside the window. Chanyeol sat, leaned back in his favourite chair in his living room, a fire burning weakly in the fire place. The night was calm, and he sat waiting. A glass of scotch rested in his hand, untouched, the ice melting. He felt no desire to drink, but it was a habit of his to pour a glass. The clock read 11:42. He should be in bed, but yet, he sat. Waiting.

"I'll be back by nine, Channy~!" Cooed Baekhyun as he grabbed his car keys from the bowl placed on the dining room table. 

Chanyeol frowned at his husband, lips pressed in a firm line. "But it's Christmas Eve, must you go to work?" 

"I just need to stop in." The shorter male waved as he rushed towards the door, "don't worry!" He opened their front door, and was gone before Chanyeol could even say,

"Be careful."

Chanyeol brought his glass up to his lips, about to take a sip, when he heard the front door open. His head jolted up, his scotch glass slipping from his hand and to the ground, where it shattered at his feet. A gasp left his lips as he stared, wide eyed, as his much shorter husband walked into the living room, an evident frown on his face. 

"Now look what you've done, Channy." Baekhyun's sweet voice scolded, "you've gone and broken another glass." 

"I-I..." Chanyeol struggled to find words, as he was met with a bright smile. 

"Don't worry," the older's eyes creased as he smiled, "what's a glass worth anyway?" 

The grandfather clock rested in the corner of the room stuck once, twice, three times. It was midnight, and with the fourth strike, the fanatsy shattered.

Chanyeol was left staring longingly at the front door, the broken scotch glass still at his feet. A stray tear traveled down his cheek, which he didn't bother to wipe away.

The snow fell steadily outside the window, just as it did a year ago. The fire finally died out, and Chanyeol was left wishing Baekhyun had heard his words.

"Be careful."

But he didn't.

Chayeol had gotten the call at midnight, as the clock rung in Christmas day, a year ago. Baekhyun wouldn't be coming home that night.

But Chanyeol still waited. 


Hope you enjoyed! Comment what you thought!