Meeting the Parents

Think of a wonderful thought (Any happy little thought?)

“Just don’t be nervous.” he rambled, clenching his hand over hers as they crossed the street. “I mean it’s kind of intimidating at first, but they’re really sweet and generous once you get past the initial—”

“Hansol.” she tugged on his hand as soon as they got to the sidewalk, effectively stopping him. “Am I meeting your parents, or the president?”

“Sorry.” he muttered sheepishly, twining their fingers together.

“Should I be nervous?” she asked, pulling them along the path. “Is there a possibility they're not going to like me?”

“No, of course not.” His jaw dropped, as if it was forbidden to ever think that way, and he swept her up in his arms, dragging her away from the walkway. He stopped them in an alley between a kitchen and a stationary shop, both closed for Sunday. For whatever reason they squeezed between a space only fit for small children, their bodies centimeters apart as they leaned on their respective sides. “Why would you think that?” he asked softly.

“Well, you being nervous is making me nervous.”

“They’ll adore you.” he assured, cupping her cheeks. “And I'm nervous because well, I've never brought a girl home before.”

“Never ever?”

Raising his eyebrows he replied, “Why, have you brought a boy home before?”

Instead of replying she leaned forward and kissed him, pressing all her weight on Hansol. It took him a second, but it wasn't long before he melted into it, wrapping his arms around her waist to pull her closer.

Pressing his forehead against hers he whispered, “What was that for?”

Eyes still shut in her post-kiss daze she murmured, “I am honored to be the first girl you bring home.”

He smiled softly. And hopefully, the only girl. “C’mon, they're waiting for you.”