1/1

Back to you

Best friends, Won Shik and Hak Yeon were nearly inseparable. It came to a point where Hak Yeon gave up on a scholarship outside the city because Won Shik didn’t make it. Their parents were so against their friendship but they could do nothing about it.  

“Your parents think that will get enough of each other soon.” Won Shik said as he and Hak Yeon were sipping from their beers, resting on the back seats, they legs dangling on the front seats, while their eyes roamed in the starry night.

“They kept thinking so for the last eighteen years we spent together, darling.” Such nicknames were so easily spoken and none of them gave it attention. “By the way, did you get scholarship for the Beverly hills Dance school?” Hak Yeon asked him suddenly and Won Shik frowned looking at his friend.

“No.” The stoned face Hak Yeon gave made Won Shik sit properly. “What is it?”

“I got it. I got the scholarship.” Hak Yeon’s voice wavered. “I thought… I thought you got it too.” Won Shik’s heart broke in tiny pieces. His eyes got filled with tears while Hak Yeon looked away, stepping out of the car. The idea of being parted did hurt but the scholarship was Hak Yeon’s dream.

“Go for it, Hak Yeon.” Won Shik’s sincere words, despite his falling tears, made Hak Yeon look back. “I know you want it.” Won Shik jumped out of the car, drying tears and made Hak Yeon face him. “Hyung, you worked your out for it, do not back off because of me.”

“But…” Hak Yeon couldn’t say more as Won Shik hugged him suddenly.

“Congrats, my talented Hyung.” Hak Yeon smiled to the encouragement, but deeply inside, living in the other side of the world away from Won Shik was too scary to be handled. “Let’s celebrate.” Won Shik drove them to the nearest nightclub. They danced, and got drunk like usual. However, none of them wanted to go home. “When are you going to US?”

“In a week.” Hak Yeon admitted, resting his dizzy head on Won Shik’s shoulder. “I want to spend every single minute of it with you.” Won Shik felt happy to hear so, and so he locked Hak Yeon in his room that night, cuddling him like a baby Koala.

In the morning, none of them felt like leaving the bed, nuzzling each other and enjoying their closeness a little more. They ignored the knocks, and the loud cars outside. They ignored the world for few more hours until Hak Yeon’s stomach made a loud sound. It woke Won Shik up, who ended up chuckling amusedly. He left his room, picked painkillers and food before sitting by his friend’s side. “Hyung.” Hak Yeon snapped his eyes open, smelling the food when a pill and a cup of water was offered to him.

“What would have I done without you?” Hak Yeon mumbled sleepily before wincing at his headache. “God, I feel like I got my head hammered.”

“Pretty much the same feeling every time.”  Won Shik smiled to him. They ate noisily, laughing, enjoying their times until Hak Yeon noticed his phone dead in the ground. Once on, the phone didn’t stop ringing, bringing them back to reality.

“Mom wants me to prepare ahead.” Hak Yeon spoke suddenly as he read the messages. “She said I’m a mess and I’ll end up forgetting something if I keep it to the last minute.”

“She’s right.” Despite his pain and inner fears, Won Shik smiled to his friends. “I’ll help you pack. Come on!” Won Shik’s happiness for his sake made Hak Yeon beam, but inside his heart the idea was frightening. He never tried to get another friend beside Won Shik, because he had Won Shik.

Hak Yeon’s parents were happy to see Won Shik, especially since the kid seemed showing excitement about Hak Yeon’s scholarship. They could see his full support, teasing and joking around about with Hak Yeon. The fears of seeing their son refusing the scholarship because of Won Shik melted like salt in water.

The week flew faster than the boys expected, and despite the fun they had, the closer the flight day became the hardest it was for them to hide their fears, yet they faced each other with it in the airport. “I don’t want to go without you” Hak Yeon was literally crying in the gate while Won Shik tried to swallow his tears.

“Idiot! If you don’t go, I won’t be happy. Do you want me to live with guilt because you didn’t pursue your dream? No! Go to that damn school, graduate and come back”. Won Shik exploded in tears. “You will come back, right?” Hak Yeon nodded eagerly pulling Won Shik to a hug while the boys’ parents, who due to some disagreement got into a fight and stopped a friendship that started with the boys themselves, shed tears. It was hard to watch them parting no matter how much they wanted them to stop their friendship. The strength of their friendship was shown so clearly it made people stop and watch.

“I’ll come back and I’ll stay by your side, Won Shikkie.” Hak Yeon promised. “I love you, brother.” Won Shik cried harder when suddenly the flight was announced and he stepped back, showing the biggest smile he could manage. “I’ll see you online, ok?”

Won Shik nodded eagerly. “Go kick their asses, Hak Yeon Hyung.” It made Hak Yeon smile, drying Won Shik’s tears. Won Shik chanted an encouraging song for Hak Yeon as the man walked to farther. Once Hak Yeon was nowhere to be seen, Won Shik fell on his knees, shedding tears he couldn’t hold anymore. His mother held him to stand up and he was led to the car.

Meanwhile, Hak Yeon rested his head in the plane’s seat, eyes closed. “First time?” He looked up to the man next to him who handed him a tissue. “You probably got emotional mom like mine. She made me cry too.”

“No.” Hak Yeon chuckled. “Actually, it was my best friend who made me cry… studying away from him made me cry.”

“Oh. That much? You must be super close.”

“Yeah. We are best friends for over eighteen years.” The man frowned at him. “What?”

“You don’t look like you are older than eighteen yourself.” It made Hak Yeon laugh.

“I’m twenty but Won Shik is eighteen.” Hak Yeon said with a smile. “His mom fainted giving birth to him in our apartment’s floor and I was with mom when we found her, Won Shik was crying and mom told me he shut up as soon as I held him and that I refused to leave his side since.”

“Aw.” The man seemed so touched by it. “You are truly close.”

“Yeah, I know everything there is to know about Won Shik, more than anyone can know him.” Hak Yeon’s eyes got filled with tears. “I know it did hurt him that I got the scholarship to US and not both of us, but he kept acting like he was super happy. I know it did scare him to be away from me like it scares me, but in a side, I think he is right. I should learn to live without him for a while.” Hak Yeon dried his tears. “He was just joking but probably he was right.”

“I think he will always mean more than any friend you make now.” Hak Yeon looked at the man by his side. “I’m Lee Jae Hwan, by the way. This silent man by my side is Jung Taek Woon.” Jae Hwan leaned to whisper in his ear. “He’s pretty scary so let us not talk to him.” It earned him a hit in the thigh by the scary Taek Woon who offered his hand to an amused Hak Yeon.

“Don’t listen to this idiot.” Taek Woon said with soft tone. “It is nice to meet you. Your friendship is to be envied for, so hang on it.” Hak Yeon nodded, even if he wanted to cry his heart out. “You can cry once we get in dear lands, though. We say that crying in planes brings bad omens.” It made Hak Yeon offer a reassuring smile, closing his eyes again and sleeping.

Won Shik was eager to receive a message from Hak Yeon which came a day after that.

The longest and loudest trip I got in my damn life. I’ll go sleep properly now, Won Shikkie and we will talk properly through video chat, ok?

Won Shik was disappointed by it but he didn’t move either, waiting for the video chat, refusing food. He was about to turn his laptop off when he got a notification and he accepted Hak Yeon call. “FINALLY! Sorry, the network here.” Hak Yeon seemed to be in a loud room. “My roommate is having fun by the way so it’s a little loud, I hope you don’t mind.”

Won Shik didn’t mind, he didn’t ing mind anything as long as Hak Yeon was there. “It is ok. How was your day? Your flight?”

“Oh, my flight was great. I met two Korean kids who are going to studying in the same school as me, but majoring in music. You should try it. You can get scholarship next year.” Won Shik didn’t know how to break it to Hak Yeon that he applied for the school majors, all of them, but got rejected in all of them. He just nodded, smiling to Hak Yeon as they started talking about Jae Hwan and Taek Woon.

The discussion carried on until Hak Yeon slept and Won Shik had to scream to his friend to turn the computer off. Won Shik noticed it was seven pm, which meant it was 3 am in Los Angeles. He had spent almost 24 hours in front of the laptop, and tiredness took the best of him, but he was happy that he managed to spend time with him even virtually.

However, his happiness found a short end. He was called to fill his military service. Won Shik recalled the time Hak Yeon nearly went but his due service got postponed due to his studies. Won Shik didn’t apply for a school yet so he had to fill two years of Military services or to apply for a university and fill eighteen months of it only. Running out of time, Won Shik ended up being forced into two years of military services, six months of them in extreme training before being sent in the red line.

Hak Yeon didn’t seem to notice his absence though. His messages were rare, and always talking about how good the school and how late he gets out of the classroom or practice because his instructors asked from him to perfect his moves. Won Shik told him about the military service of course, and Hak Yeon wished him luck.

“We will talk more once you end them up properly. Besides, I’ll be back by the time you finish them up.” Hak Yeon told him in a call. “I have to go now. We have a surprise exam now so I have to focus before my turn.”

“I get it Hyung.” Won Shik forced a happy tone. “Good luck with it. I know you can do it.”

“Thank you, darling. You are my boost! I am doing my best to finish well and come back as soon as possible.” Hak Yeon’s words meant everything to Won Shik and even if Hak Yeon’s messages were too rare for his liking, the fact he knew his Hyung was trying his best to come back to him made him work equally much.

Two years went like decades and Won Shik went back home with one wish: To see Hak Yeon back.

“I am going professional!” Hak Yeon’s last message said. “I got a contract with a known entertainment group in L.A. ! I may get a main character! I am so excited.” Won Shik’s tears fell as he ended the vocal message before clicking on the save one.

“I am selfish Hyung…” His sobs couldn’t be hold. “I worked hard so that once I get back I’ll find you back for me. I worked hard so that you will be proud to see me. But, I forgot you had your dreams. I’m happy you are pursuing them. Don’t worry about me, I’m fine. I just miss you.” Won Shik forced a smile through his tears. “I truly did miss you, you know. I spent every night listing down all the food you like, every single band you fanboyed over, or your favorite shirts. You had so many, Hyung.”

“I don’t.” Won Shik’s body froze before looking back to see an amused Hak Yeon resting on the door’s frame. He looked more mature than Won Shik last saw him. “I thought you will go first check on me at home but your mom said you got home few minutes ago and I ran to see you.” Hak Yeon scoffed suddenly. “ True, you are selfish. You are selfish enough to think that I didn’t want to see you. Really? After all the love I have toward you, you doubted I’ll come back.”

“No… I…” Won Shik fell on his knees, shedding tears as sobs caught his throat. “Hyung… I missed you so much.” Hak Yeon knelt in front of him and Won Shik jumped on his lips without much thinking.

“Since when?” Hak Yeon mumbled as he pushed Won Shik away, his cheeks already wet with heavy tears.

“I loved you since forever. , I loved you even in my bloody past lives Hyung. Just… shut up and kiss me.” Hak Yeon laughed and hugged him tightly before giving him soft kisses. “And you?”

“I don’t know when, but I’ve made friends, thousands of them, yet I never felt so in love with someone as I did feel for you.” Hak Yeon mumbled, caressing Won Shik’s lips. “I think I fell for you through our way as friends.”

“Were we even best friends, Hyung?” Won Shik said amusedly. “I don’t know best friends who sleep cuddling with each other at the age of eighteen. Kids do that, but not hormonal teenagers.”

“And Hormonal teenagers don’t get wet dreams of their best friends.” Won Shik looked at Hak Yeon who blushed. “I never told you because I thought it was normal, we were practically inseparable.”

“I’ve never had a wet dream of you, Hyung.” Hak Yeon leaned dangerously close to his ear.

“Oh really?” The man sensually mumbled before biting Won Shik’s earlobe. “Your kisses say otherwise.” Won Shik blushed, chuckling before hugging Hak Yeon back, both of them resting in their sides, cuddling like they used to.  

Their eyes didn’t leave each other until they slept, the proper sleep they had in two years. The future seemed dangerously cloudy but the two men didn’t care. They are back to where they belonged and it is all that mattered.