Final

Drunk

“Aish why is this door so hard to open?”

She looked up as she heard someone trying and failing over and over again to get the door code right to their apartment.

“What was the password again?... Her… Her birthday!”

Finally the door chirped happily and he stumbled inside, hair disheveled, pink dress shirt practically halfway ed, tripping over the shoes by the doorway.

“Jackson! Are you drunk right now?”

“There she isssssssss,” he laughed. “My baby girl!”

She set her book down and walked over to him, rolling her eyes, and bent down to help him take off his shoes.

“How did I get so luc-hic-lucky?” he asked himself as he awkwardly patted her on the back.

“You know, mister, I’m not so sure how you got so lucky either.”

“Heheheh, you’re funny. I like you.”

She stifled a laugh and pulled him up, making their way to the couch.

He plopped down on it with a satisfied sigh and reached for her, but she was already walking towards the kitchen to get that damn man some water.

“Babyyyyyyy, hui lai! I miss you!”

“Jackson Wang you are so annoying, I’m getting you water I’ll be right there.”

“But I don’t need water, I need you!”

She walked back with a glass of water, wondering how hard can she roll her eyes before they pop out of her head. She handed the glass to him and he accepted, while making whiny noises and pouting at her.

“Stop that, drink your water.”

But he wouldn’t stop, wouldn’t stop until she finally caved and sat down next to him.

“Now drink!” 

“Okay~” he replied happily before leaning over to peck her on the cheek, then chugging the entire glass in one go.

“Yeah, that’s definitely not what I meant,” she told him dryly. He just smiled real hard, eyes disappearing as the smile took over his whole face. She sighed and thought about how she could just never win when it comes to him.

She kissed him on the cheek, then patted his leg. “I’m gonna go get you a blanket, you sit tight.”

He tried to grab her hand and missed, so had to settle for calling after her. “I don’t need a blanket, just you is enough!!”

In their bedroom, she picked up a fluffy Sherpa throw, laughing to herself about how he’s absolutely inebriated and still trying to be cute.

She came back out and threw the blanket at him, picking up his glass to walk it back to the kitchen.

“How can you treat me like this?” she heard him wail, his voice muffled under the blanket.

When she reached his side again, he had managed to get the blanket off his face and was pouting again. She pulled the blanket away from him, shook it out, and laid it on top of him, tucking him in.

“Does this mean you won’t be joining me?”

She looked up, surprised by the change in his tone of voice.

He was looking at her intently, his hand slowly reaching to cup her face.

“You really are beautiful,” he exhaled, and she blushed, turning her face away from him and starting to stand up.

“Hey wait – oops.” He had grabbed her wrist to prevent her from moving away, but accidentally pulled too hard, too drunk to know his own strength, and she fell practically on top of him.

“Jackson!” She tried to push herself off but he took this as an opportunity and wrapped an arm around her waist.

“I mean, now that you’re here…”

She looked at him, acutely aware of exactly where she was. Half of her was on the couch on top of her boyfriend, the other half angled awkwardly off the edge. Her palms flat against his chest from catching her fall, she tried to push away again, only for him to tighten his grip.

“Why are you always trying to run away from me?” he asked sadly.

“I’m not. I’m really not, babe. I just think you should sleep now.”

In a childish voice, he told her, “Prove it.”

She sighed how many times had she sighed since he had come home?  and replied “ Okay, okay. I’ll prove it. Just let me up a little, okay?”

“Okay.” And the arm around her waist loosened considerably. She knelt next to his head.

A kiss to the forehead.

“I love you.”

A kiss on the nose (he giggled).

“I love you.”

Forehead to forehead, nose to nose, breath ghosting across each other’s lips, she paused.

“I love you so much, Jackson Wang,” she whispered, before giving into the kiss they both were waiting for.

As always, his lips were soft, and warm, and she wondered why was it called a kiss when really it’s a million tiny kisses melted into one? before she couldn’t wonder anything anymore. Nothing existed except the two of them, the remaining taste of alcohol, the sound of two beating hearts.

When she finally pulled away, whining internally at the loss of warmth, but he really needs to sleep off the alcohol, she asked him, “Do you believe me now?”

He just smiled, his eyes closed, and nodded contently.

She kissed him on the forehead again. “Good night, my love.”

“Good night…”he replied as he turned to snuggle into the sofa.

A smile on her face, she turned off all the lights before walking towards their bedroom, glancing one more time at her beautiful, silly man before she, too, succumbed to sleep.