001

Breakout

Everyday is the same.

Jaebum made his way through his father's building while keeping a cold expression on his face. It was nothing new for him to be summoned by his father every single day. He knew the only reason why his father called for him to his office was to train his only son to succeed him. As he walked by a few of his father's employees, he could hear the same people praising, admiring or being envious of his position. Jaebum simply ignored them and proceeded to his father's office. When he opened the door to his father's office, his father looked up at him with a professional smile plastered to his face. There was an unfamiliar man sitting across from him who had just turned in his seat and met Jaebum's eyes. Smiling icily, Jaebum bowed his head to his father and the stranger. "I apologize for being late, father," he said in a polite tone. His father simply nodded before pointing to a seat next to the man. Jaebum did as he was instructed. "Jaebum. You've been a quick learner. I never expected you to be capable of learning my position within that short amount of time," his father smiled. 

Jaebum knew never to trust his father when he smiled. For all he could ever know, his father only smiled to hide his temper. He never praised him nor smiled at him unless ready to explode or just to have a serious conversation with him. Jaebum only smiled back to answer his father's comment. The man next to him was watching the two of them with interest. "Hm...so, your son is named Jaebum?" he asked.

"Yes. He will be succeeding me in a few years. Maybe within a few months," his father answered.

"I must say...he's very mature for his age. How old are you, kid?" the man turned to Jaebum. 

Jaebum wasn't sure how he should react to that sort of question and being called kid for the first time. He maintained his cold demeanor and answered shortly. "I'm 23. I'm much too old to be called a kid now." He waited for a response but was only received a faint chuckle from the man. Slightly angered, Jaebum turned to look at the man. 

In his mind, Jaebum expected an old man with white hair who merely was mocking him but in front of him was a fair skinned male. His eyes were brown but Jaebum felt slightly pulled in. It felt as if his eyes were bottomless. Jaebum quickly looked away and felt something beat inside of him loudly. What is this...? 

"Jaebum. Focus," his father said with a hint of irrtation in his voice. Jaebum looked up at his father with a nod. Now isn't the time to figure out what I'm feeling inside. 

"Jaebum. Mark's company is going to be partnering with our company some time soon," his father said clearly. Internally, Jaebum shivered since he knew what his father was implying behind his words. 'Make this company proud. Make me proud. Make my time working with you pay off.

The unfamiliar man, Mark, smiled warmly as he extended his hand. "I didn't expect to meet someone who was my age. My apologies for calling you a kid," he bowed his head slightly. Jaebum turned to look at Mark before taking his hand and shaking it slowly. "It's alright. It's my pleasure to meet my partner early," he replied as he felt warmth from Mark's hand. As odd as it already was, Jaebum didn't want to let go of Mark's hand. This was the first time he felt warmth from anyone. Hoping that his father didn't see how reluctant he was, Jaebum let go of Mark's hand and turned back to turn face his father. 

Jaebum's father may not have noticed his own son's reluctance but Mark did very quickly. 

His father stated while turning to look at his computer "Jaebum, I want you to become better acquainted with Mark. Once the partnership is confirmed, then we will merge both companies within a few weeks after." Jaebum wasn't surprised at how fast his father wanted this to be done but he was caught offguard when his father basically give him the task of having to talk in front of both companies and saying that all employees will be working together from now.

He wanted to argue.

He wanted to protest and tell his father, with respect of course, that he isn't up for that kind of job.

But Jaebum couldn't.

Why?

His father was rumored to be the cold and efficient president, all of which were true. He had his ways of getting any job done with a set amount of time. No president could ever do what Jaebum's father can do.

Internally, Jaebum felt that he wasn't ready for that kind of task even if he was doing that within the next few months. 

As he was brooding over his own thoughts, Mark had spoke in a warm voice.

"With all due respect, Mr. Im, what you propose is a little too much for your own son to handle all on his own."

Jaebum turned his head slightly to look at Mark in surprise. No one has ever went against his own father's commands before. There were failed arguments in the past but Mark's comment made Jaebum see him as a brave person. Everyone in his father's company would dream of rebelling against Mr. Im. Heck, even Jaebum wanted to rebel against his own father but he could never work up the nerve to. 

At this time, Jaebum's father looked at Mark with a sense of superiority. "Then what do you propose for my son?" he asked. Mark smiled and reached over to slide his arm over Jaebum's shoulder. Jaebum didn't know how to react at the sudden contact on but he did know that he could feel heat slowly rising through his body. His father was waiting for Mark's answer as he raised an eyebrow at the gesture Mark did. Mark was smiling confidently as he spoke. "I propose that I will help him with this merge since we are partners, no?" 

"Very well, Mr. Tuan. Jaebum, don't mess up...understand?" his father asked in a dangerous tone. Jaebum didn't show it on his face but he gulped as he knew that his father would be in a rotten mood tonight. "You may go," his father then said before turning back to his computer and quickly typing away. Jaebum slowly moved Mark's arm away before getting up to walk out of his father's office. He wasn't one to disobey his father but he wasn't confident enough to speak in front of many people. It seemed really insane to even do that considering how closely his personality took after his father. As soon as Jaebum had grabbed the door handle, Mark had gotten up as well and moved one hand to grab Jaebum's arm before smiling at Jaebum's father. 

Jaebum turned to look at Mark in slight confusion as Mark started to speak to Jaebum's father. 

"I would like to spend more time with my future business partner so may I take him with me for a while?" Mark asked.

"How long is a while?" his father countered.

"Hm...maybe a week. Knowing how infamous the rumors are about you working fast, more than likely, my company and your company will be merged by the end of this week," Mark answered. Jaebum was frozen in place as he watched Mark and his father talk but then he found himself watching a staring contest between his father before his father gave in and waved them both away. "Go ahead. Jaebum, don't forget your responsiblities," his father said. 

Jaebum couldn't believe his father had given in that easily. He wondered if his father was feeling sick today but all he could see was tension and anger filling the air around his father. He was about to open the door but then Mark quickly opened the door and pulled Jaebum along with him. Jaebum didn't know what to expect but he tried to just go along with it.