Ice and Fire

NCT One-Shots

Rating: General Audiences

Characters: Kim Dongyoung/ Doyoung, Lee Taeyong/ Taeyong

Summary: In a world where ice and fire are incompatible, there are two kids that couldn't be any closer. 

Length: 1,272 words.

___________________________________________

 

Ice and Fire.
Two uncommon things that should be, in any way, separated from each other. 

Or at least that's what they told the half-brothers, Taeyong and Doyoung, when they were younger. 

People looked at them like they were out of their mind, running around with their hands intertwined. Well, of course, it wasn't strange to see little kids running around. The thing that stood out and made people question themselves who were the children's parents was their hair color. Fiery red and Icy white. 

When both kids went to school all the other children stared at them, pointed at them, screaming nicknames.

Doyoung's was Chili.

Taeyong's was Ice cube.

If they just knew that both names perfectly described the brothers. 

Moreover they lived their lives like that, ignoring the nicknames and holding tight to each other. When they reached middle school, a certain boy called, "Look at both of them! Holding hands like they like each other!" 

That made a chain reaction, it went from mimicking them holding hands to screaming at them different insults and calling them gay. Taeyong and Doyoung ignored them, once again. Now their hair wasn't the important thing, their uality was. 

Taeyong was the older one, and he made sure to make Doyoung happy at any cost. Whenever the boy was sulky or frowning at himself in the mirror, Taeyong would go to their shared room and share a power trick with him. 

Doyoung was the younger one, with his big eyes and pointy nose he charmed everyone with his innocent looks. He always looked up to his older brother, who always seemed to have a cold front but a warm heart. Whenever Taeyong wore said cold front, Doyoung would come near him and place his hands on the older's chest, warming the other up. He then looked up at Taeyong and smiled widely when a small smile formed on said boy's lips. 

They were on second year of high school when Doyoung had asked his mother where was his real father. It was an understatement to say Taeyong was nervous for the answer. 

Doyoung's mom, Jooyoung, had looked at them with a confused expression, but after 30 seconds of Doyoung explaining why he wanted to know, the confused expression was replaced by a calm one. 

"I thought you were going to ask sooner." Doyoung opened his mouth to talk but Taeyong, knowing his step-mother, squeezed the younger's hand in warning. 

Jooyoung mouthed a thank you to Taeyong, who responded with a big grin.  

"Mother, is dad... dead?" That night had been a difficult one for Taeyong, as though his brother cried, he cried. 

 


Taeyong was the first one to know how their parents met, and probably the last one. They met each other one year after the death of Doyoung's dad, Jooyoung was sulking in a coffee shop, just after visiting the graveyard. The woman, watching the people walking outside, did not notice a man sitting in front of her.

"Excuse me Miss." Taeyong's father said. Jooyoung glared at him, "What?"

The man then pointed at her empty cup and smiled charmingly at her, "Do you want another one? My treat. You could also tell me why you're sad." And for no reason, Jooyoung had agreed. Well, in the end, the entire family was happy she made that decision. 

 

Doyoung kept glancing at Taeyong the entire day, and while the older felt very happy for this, he also did feel very scared. They had just finished their last exam and were now walking toward the parking lot.

"We just finished high school and I can ride your car, I'm so happy." Doyoung giggled as he sat down on the drivers seat. 

"There's still prom." Taeyong pointed out, earning himself a slap on the head. 

Taeyong stares out of the car's window and brings his hand up, drawing different types of snowflakes on the window.

"Be careful of not freezing the window." He purses his lips and scoffs, "At least I won't burn the neighbor's house."

"IT WAS ONLY ONE TIME!" 

 

By this time, Taeyong had already expressed his feeling to his father. And the reaction was something he had expected, his father looked at him with a shocked expression. It went like that for 3 days, his father stared at him when it was dinner time and didn't talk to him. And on the 4th day, there was the sound of a knock on the door of their room. 

"Come in!" He raised his eyebrows as the door slowly opened and his father's head sticked out. 

"Taeyong?" His father called him. Taeyong frowned and tapped his bed, signaling his dad to sit beside him. 

As his dad, Taekwon, sat down he bit back the need to run out of the room.

"I- Do you... Do you really like Doyoung that way?" As his father asked him this question he smiled sadly at his dad and reached out to touch a gray hair that fell from his father's ear.

"I wouldn't joke with something like that. And I know, it's strange. But I didn't choose to be like this father." Taekwon blinked at his son, pursing his lips and nodding. "I understand." 

Taeyong, shocked and jaw dropped, stared at his father. "Aren't you.. I don't know, weirded out? I mean, your son loves his half-brother." He added. 

Taekwon shook his head laughed at his son, "Taeyong, I live with three people who can do things humans can't to, I think my life can't be any weirder anymore." At that time they laughed with each other and Taekwon pointed out in his mind how Taeyong's smile was bigger than any other day.

 

"Hyung! Look what I made!" Taeyong stared at the scene playing out in front of him, smal kids running around a playground. Doyoung sat beside him, eyes crinkling at the corners from the smile on his face. One of the kids opened his palm and a butterfly came out, spreading it's wings and flying towards the other kid's nose. It stood there and the smallest child laughed happily and jumped on his place.

"Wasn't that cool?!" The boy with the butterfly nodded slowly and brought both of his hands up, a small almost unnoticeable tornado appearing on his palms. The smallest child laughed again and leaned forward to touch the tornado, pulling away hesitantly when his finger almost touched the small whirlwind of air.

"It isn't going to bite my finger off, right?" He asked the older, who still had the butterfly placed on his nose. The older laughed and shook his head, a big gummy smile on his face. 

The small child beamed then, quickly touching the tornado with his index finger.

"Do you think Jaesuk is going to be the serious one when older?" Taeyong whispered to Doyoung. 

"Yeah, Taehyung is too cheerful for that role." Doyoung giggled and nodded. 


Taeyong squeezed the younger's hand and leaned back on his chair, smiling as his two children played with each other's powers. Suddenly, there was that familiar warm feeling on his chest that always replaced his cold heart and he looked at his right, smiling when his eyes connected with his husband. 

Doyoung smiled back and then sighed, snuggling closer to his other half while Taeyong kissed the red-head's crown.

 


___________________________________________
Hey guys! Here is the first enlistment and one-shot. This is an old draft I had on my phone and I wanted to share it with you, of course, after making some changes here and there.

Next there's a Tenil request on the making! So look forward to that :)