One

Manny

I know this tooooook me forever to update ;-;

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was 2.30 in the morning, and while fast asleep Lee Taemin, a young 18 year old.  Suddenly awoke from an echoing ring around his bedroom. Swearing under his breath, he squinted his eyes at the brightness of the light from his phone, and looked to see that it was his sister calling him. Grabbing it he dragged the answer button and stuffed it against his ear. 

 

‘Taeyeon what do you want! I have an exam tomorrow morning!’

 

‘Is this a relative of Lee Taeyeon?’

 

Taemin sat up quickly, confused by the voice. ‘Who is this?’

 

‘I am Detective Kim, am I speaking with a Lee Taemin, brother to Lee Taeyeon?’

 

‘Yes, I’m her brother. Why?’ Taemin spoke, a lump forming in his throat.

 

‘I’m afraid I have some bad news. Please be prepared for what we are about to say. We believe that your sister, and a man we are considering to be her husband have been involved in a car accident. I know this may be an inconvenience at such a time but we need you to please come down here, to confirm or disprove it is their bodies?’

 

‘Bodies!’ Taemin choked.

 

‘Yes the woman and man we found... are dead’.

 

---

 

‘Uncle Taemin?’

 

Taemin sniffled, arm holding close his littlest niece Haena who was almost 1 years old, and hand linked tightly with the older one Minhee aged 6. He can feel the tears already trickling down his face as he glances at her. 

 

‘Yeah?’

 

‘Is Mommy and Daddy in Heaven?’

 

As a thick tear trickled down his cheek, the male nodded. ‘Yeah’. He gave her hand a gentle squeeze. ‘They are watching over us right now, so I want you to smile at the sky, and say goodbye’.

 

Minhee sniffled and then looked up whispering a goodbye as two coffins disappeared behind a curtain.

 

~

 

The eldest girl cried loudly, face bright red and cheeks covered in fresh tears. Taemin was covering his ears not knowing what to do with her.

 

‘I WANT MUMMY AND DADDY! I WANT MUMMY AND DADDY!’ she kept repeating. ‘I WANT MUMMY AND DADDY!’

 

Taemin gripped at his hair, the infant in the baby seat was screaming too. He didn’t know how to care for kids. He was only 18, he wasn’t his sister. He wasn’t a parent. He was only ever meant to be their fun uncle Taemin, in truth he had babysat once and the house becomes a tip afterwards, and his sister said he was better off just visiting, and now he realised after only one week of looking after them, that he didn’t know anything about them. They were a full time job and the babysitter they normally had was only available some evening’s and not even out of school.

 

‘I can’t do this!’ He sobbed out, looking to his niece. ‘I can’t do this!’

 

He wished his parents who died when he was young were still alive. Or his brother in laws mother didn’t have Alzheimer’s (there was no grandfather). When he agreed to be godfather it was because he was asked randomly, and Taeyeon wanted her girls with family. But he never expected them to actually die.

Minhee then started to slap at the males legs, shouting at him more, and Taemin quickly wrapped her in a hug. She silenced but her loud sniffles were still heard.

 

‘I’m sorry’ He sniffled. ‘I’m sorry’.

 

Eventually the girls and Taemin all cried themselves to sleep. He contacted an agency that next morning. With money from work and his sister and brother in laws will, he used it to request for a full time Nanny. He knew that the children needed someone to care for them, better than he could right now. He had taken just over a week off to care for them. But it was becoming too much. So he requested for one of the best. And had also stated he would have a room available for them to stay in, since he needed their help full time.

The following day on a simple Saturday morning as the small clock struck eight o clock. Taemin who had just finished changing a nappy. Opened the door to find a tall dark haired and somewhat handsome looking man, with round glasses and a sweet smile stood before him.

 

‘Hi I’m Choi Minho, I’m your new nanny’.

 

Taemin blinked noticing the suitcase in his hand. ‘But you are a man!’

 

Minho gave a small laugh. ‘Very true, I know most nannies are women but I’ll be the best nanny you’ll ever get’

 

Haena suddenly started up a sudden fuss, and Taemin sighed stepping aside to let him in. As the man took off his shoes and placed his things to the side Taemin watched as he knelt down to be level and greet Minhee who was staring at him curiously.

 

‘Hello, my name is Minho. And you are?’

 

Minhee looked at Taemin then back at Minho who gave her a sweet smile.

 

‘Minhee’ she blushed.

 

‘Minhee? What a beautiful name. And who is this?’ He pointed to the other girl who was crawling along the floor letting out a few annoyed screaches in her fussy mood.

 

‘Dat my sister, Haena’

 

‘Haena?’ Minho smiled, he crawled towards the youngest and lifted her up. The little one giving a shriek as he turned her around. ‘Hello Haena, I’m Minho.’

 

The infant’s shocked features at the sight of the new person turned to a small pout and she quickly burst into tears. Taemin was ready to panic but Minho cooed at her instantly, ‘Oh…Oh it’s okay, no tears’ He gave her a gentle rock holding her to his shoulder and standing up, making the little one calm as she tilted her head to look at him.

He gave her a glance over and then looked to Taemin who was watching.

 

‘Has she drank her morning milk yet today?’

 

‘Milk?’

 

‘Yes? She should be drinking milk!’ Minho seemed suddenly concerned.

 

‘Oh…erm, I don’t have any in the house right now. I only give her water’.

 

‘What? Well what was the last thing that they ate?’

 

‘I had leftover pizza with Minhee last night, and I gave the little one porridge…I…I haven’t been shopping yet and I…I’m sorry.’ Taemin looked suddenly fearful like the nanny would be reporting him and the girls would be taken away.

 

Minho hummed a little displeased. He let the little one down who then looked up at him. Minhee looking between the adults.

 

‘I will go to the local market and buy some necessities for you then’. The nanny finally stated. He wasn’t giving Taemin that smile he had a moment ago anymore. 

 

Taemin looked to the clock, he was going to go back to work today once the nanny arrived. But now he felt that maybe one more day wouldn’t hurt. ‘Oh..okay… Erm there is some money upstairs I’ll go get it, how much do you need?’

 

Minho shook his head. ‘No, I will buy them. Think of it as a gift for you welcoming me to your family. You clearly need my help’

.

Taemin opened his mouth, before thanking him.

 

‘Do you have a pram?’

 

‘Erm, I think there is one here’ He walked near the entrance and opened a small closet. ‘This is my sister’s home so I don’t really know where everything is.’ He sighs looking at the folded prams and pushchairs. 

 

‘Oh, this is not your home?’ Minho asks standing up to see what is in the closet. 

 

‘No, it is my sister’s home.’ Taemin admitted shyly.

 

‘Are these not your children?’

 

‘No’ Taemin shook his head. ‘I’m their Uncle’

 

Minho let out a sigh of deep relief. ‘Oh…that makes sense. I was worried you was a useless father. Excuse my judging, but I was a little angry when I thought you only gave your daughter water and porridge’.

 

Taemin nodded. ‘I don’t know what to do with children, which is why I contacted for you’. 

 

The male looked down.

 

‘Where is your sister may I ask?’

 

‘She’s…dead’ Taemin admitted. ‘Both my sister and her husband, they died just over a week ago, I… I…’ Taemin chewed on his lip, holding back tears. ‘I’m the only one they have… and I have to care for them. But I need help’.

 

The male hummed. Before putting on a smile walking back to the children and bouncing into a squat ‘Would you like to go food shopping with me Minhee?’ he asked the 6 year old.

 

The little one lit up. ‘Can buy chocolate?’ she asks sneakily and innocently. 

 

Minho acted dramatically to thinking about it, making the younger smile. ‘Well if you are a good girl and help me, I’m sure I will get you one.’ he grinned at her while she bounced on the spot confirming she will get him everything he needed. 

 

He then looked up at Taemin ‘Where’s the next superstore?’

 

‘About 20mins away.’

 

Taemin was in awe of how Minho was with the children. He turned the food trip into a game, while getting Minhee to go collect items and put them in the trolley with Taemin. He also was doing some fun speedy pushes around letting little Haena squeal into a fit of giggles from the small baby seat. Once the food and drinks was collected, Minho paying like it was nothing, they returned home. Luckily Minho’s big car had baby seats for all ages, and had the correct ones for the two little ones. Taemin hadn’t even thought about all the stuff he would need for them. 

 

In the car journey home the CD player was on, and tunes Taemin did not know, but Minhee seemed to know all the words to, was sang loudly. By her and Minho. Haena seeming to enjoy it too as she bopped her head and mumbled a few sounds. Apparently it was from some Children’s TV show.

 

~

 

Haena swallowed down gallons of warm milk from her bottle. A pleased hum leaving her lips as she drank. Minho had her sat on his lap, while watching Minhee colour in a large booklet. Her squiggles going just outside of the lines.

 

‘Wow, you are so artistic’. Minho smiled at her.

 

Minhee grinned. ‘You draw here’ she pointed at the picture at the other side.

 

‘Me?’

 

‘Yeah’

 

‘Okay!’ Minho grabbed the closest crayon his fingers found and started to colour in the picture beside hers. ‘Minhee, can you tell me what this is?’

 

‘Er…It… It a lion’.

 

‘Lion, yes well done, you are very very smart.

 

As Minho made himself comfortable for the girls to be happy in his presence. Taemin was nothing but thankful. It was only the first day but he was already thinking about how to thank him. 

 

~

 

‘I know it’s only a small room…and a bit messy…but…it’s all I have. It used to be my room before I left for a smaller one roomed apartment.’

 

Minho smiled. ‘No it's perfect…I don’t need much anyways’.

 

Since Taemin’s parents had died when he was young. Taeyeon had taken to caring for her brother. Her husband (boyfriend at the time) just so happened to have bought his own house and they moved in together. Once Taemin left for University he had moved out. And the room he stayed in became a store room. It was a small room in the home too. Most of Taeyeon’s stuff was still in it, and Taemin would only have the next coming weekend to empty it out. He explained it briefly and Minho claimed he would help him out when the time came. And he moved all the items from the mattress to the side and made his bed ready for sleep with the Pink sheets and duvet Taemin was able to find. Minho made Taemin feel better, by stating the clean up with the kids, would become an activity and he wouldn’t need to stress.

 

~

 

The next morning. Taemin’s alarm buzzed and the male rolled over in the large double bed he slept in. Flicking the tune off he rolled over, hiding his face in the pillow. Minhee had school today since it was a Monday and the school was super strict about their pupils not attending. There was a policy about only having one week due to family grief which Taemin found appalling. Then there was a small knock at the door. Lifting his head he called out.

 

‘Who is it?’

 

‘Taemin, I am making breakfast for the girls. Would you like some coffee? Toast? Cereal?’

 

‘Coffee and Toast would be fine’ Taemin called back.

 

‘Okay, it will be done in about 10 minutes come down when you are ready’.

 

There is the sound of a child running outside the door and Minho warns her to stop running and walk instead or he would punish her with the naughty step. He was already teaching them discipline Taemin realised. The male sat up in his bed, looking at the clock to see it was 6am and he flopped back with a loud groan. Normally he would sleep in till at least 8. But as he laid there he found he couldn’t rest and sat up again ruffling his hair before deciding to get washed, dressed and go watch Minho at work. As he came downstairs he found Minhee all dressed and ready for school sat on a chair at the small table. Spoon in a cereal bowl, as she crunched on the ones she was eating. She also had her hair tied in a ribbon and plated.  Minho was testing a milk bottle droplet on his arm, before passing it to Haena who stuffed it in . Taemin steps into view and is spotted by all three. 

 

‘Morning’ Minho smiled.

 

‘Morning’ Taemin yawned.

 

‘Your coffee and toast’ Minho placed the items before him.

 

‘Thank you’.

 

‘Do you have work today?’

 

‘Yes’ Taemin nodded. ‘I start at 10’

 

‘Okay, well Minhee has to be at school for 8:45. I emailed the head teacher last night to explain whom I was and why she would have me on her premises’.

 

Taemin blinked. He never even thought about that. ‘What did she say?’

 

‘She understood the circumstances and will provide me with all the information I need’.

 

‘Mino’ Minhee called.

 

‘Yes?’ Minho smiled at her.

 

‘Are…taking to school?’

 

‘Yes’ He smiled.

 

~

 

The first week passed by quickly, and Taemin didn’t even realise it, until Friday night when he and the others were watching his favourite Friday night TV program. ‘Dance your way to happiness’.

It only took one of the dance stars to look like her mother to set the eldest girl off. Minhee sobbed hard, and Minho knelt down arms open for an embracing hug. The child responding by hugging him as she burst into tears.

 

‘It’s okay…it’s okay Minhee, I got you, I’ve got you!’. Minho was sat on the floor even in the tight space between the sofa and coffee table but was too invested in the child’s care to even worry about it. He soothes her with a gentle rock. her hair and repeating positive words. 

 

‘I want mummy, where’s mummy!’ The girl begged. 

 

Minho welled up, feeling her pain. Her grief.  ‘I know you do, but she is in heaven now. She is a beautiful angel watching over you.’ He rocked her gently. ‘I bet she is very happy about being an angel who can fly!’ 

 

Minhee sniffles and nods. ‘Mummy beautiful like a fairy angel’. 

 

‘Exactly!’ Minho smiles. ‘What would you and mummy usually do? I want to make sure she watches us with a big smile okay?’

 

Taemin watched as Minhee brought out all her dolls from the toy box. Minho taking one, the girl then started to comb through ones hair. Minho taking a small brush and doing the same. Before parting the hair and doing a plat. Minhee watching in awe. ‘Now, if you do this, your doll will look beautiful for the prom’. He has completely distracted her from her pain. The girl smiled and so did Taemin. She was taken to bed after falling asleep on the floor. A little later and Taemin paced agitated. Haena wouldn’t stop crying. Minho quickly zoomed upstairs to take over, taking her into his arms and rocking her with instant cooing. ‘I know, l know’ he cooed. ‘You are just tired, yes you are’. The infant whimpers but starts to settle, looking to Minho and then resting her head at his chest. Minho smiled, pressing a kiss to her head. ‘Go to sleep. Good girls need their beauty sleep’. The younger male is convince Minho is a wizard with magical powers.

 

‘Thank you’ Taemin spoke at the door.

 

Minho gave a nod. “I’m just doing my job’

 

~

 

The weekend finally came and the room Taemin had dreaded to clean out, has finally come around. He stands at the entrance watching. 

 

‘Okay now you go put this in the big box’ Minho smiled. Minhee grabbed the dress and ran to the box. Plonking it in and trying to fold it though not exactly easily. ‘Good Girl’ Minho praised. 

 

There was a squeal as the youngest crawled along the hallway space created for her slowly and Minho kept poking his head out to watch her. While passing more clothes to the older one.

Taemin was holding some of Minhyun’s clothes to see if he could put any to use. Even asking Minho if he wanted any. They were the same size and Minho was open to taking any suits that Taemin didn’t want. 

  

Taemin huffed as he pulled out a radio box and then plugged it in for some music.

As the beat echoed out Taemin dances swifty as he parted Taeyeon’s things from Minhyun’s. Minho watched him with a smile. Before peaking back at the youngest who was watching her elder sister prance around the hallway since she had pulled on one of her mothers dresses. When the room is almost finished Minho’s watch then jingles and he stands up picking up the smallest child. ‘Okay everyone lunch break’

 

-

 

‘Say ahh’

 

‘Ahhhh’

 

Minho zoomed the food towards making a plane noise as he did. Minhee giggling and chewing her food. Minho smiled with her. Apparently her father used to do this with her. Taemin was actually helping by feeding the baby her food. Though a lot seemed to be landing on her bib. The girls seemed happy and that made Taemin really happy. 

 

Taemin he grabbed a sandwich from his place and looked at Minho ‘We should we go to the park tommfow. And have a picnic. My sister loved picnics. We had them one sunday a month. She always brought more food than any of us needed’. His smile drops for a second when he remembers that she wont be there. But Minho nods. 

 

‘Very well, we shall make so much food tonight, ready for tomorrow and any leftovers we shall save for another day’. 

 

“yeaaaah’ Minhee yelled.

 

The day finished off and Minho now had his own room to himself. Taemin had even gone and bought him some less pink looking sheets and gave him a choice of grey and green. He also noticed that Minho game with no baggage and was very tidy.  The kids were in bed as Minho had worked out Taeyeon’s sleeping schedule from a weekly calendar plan he found and was planning to stick to it for Minhee’s sake. 

Taemin was downstairs watching a dance video and taking notes. He missed his dance exam on the day after they died but had made a date to retake it. When Minho come down looking for the tablet which Minhee had been using to learn numbers and finding it stuffed down the side of the sofa. He turned off the tune to the app game and looked over at Taemin to wish him goodnight. When he found the male sat with his head within his hands and his shoulder slightly shaking

.

‘Taemin?’

 

The male let out a loud sniff.

 

‘Are you okay?’

 

The male moved down his hands and shook his head.

 

Minho chewed on the inside of his cheek before putting his things down and sitting beside the male. He opened his arms offering a hug. One that Taemin took to and grabbed him hard. Minho carefully his head as the male burst into tears. Sobbing into his chest. 

 

‘It’s okay’ The nanny soothed. ‘Let it out’.

 

‘I loved my sister so much’. He wept. ‘Why did she have to go…why did she die!’

 

Minho always made a promise to never lie to adults or say things to make them feel better. ‘I don’t know’. He sighs. ‘Life is hard we just have to fight it everyday and make it through to see those good days. The male sniffles and slowly sits up. 

 

‘Thank you for being here, you’re the best Manny in the world’. 

 

‘Manny?’ Minho questions. 

 

‘Male Nanny...Manny’. 

 

Minho chuckles. ‘I don’t think I have ever been called Manny before’. 

 

Taemin grins ‘Well get used to it. Because I will’.