"Tag, You're It!"

Tag (One-Shot)

As I walked past the playground, I stopped and looked at it. The playground was very much the same - Red slide, yellow monkey-bars and the vast area surrounding it. Although the playground would seem ordinary to other children, it was special to me. Of course it did, for it was the place where I met my best friends.

-

"Happy Birthday, Kyou!" My mother called to wished me in the early hours of the morning. 

"Thanks, umma. I miss you! Take care!" I replied, half-awake.

I had barely gotten out of bed when the doorbell rang. I rushed to open the door. It was the postman. Every year on my birthday, JunHyung would send me a parcel containing a souvenir from the country which he was currently at. Since young, he had always aspired to travel the world and true enough, he did. I opened up the parcel and found a Matryoshka doll from Russia and sent along with the present was a little card and a photo of him. 

"Kyou-ah, Happy Birthday!" It said. "Oppa is in Russia now! How do you like the dolls I've sent you~ Aren't they cute? ^_^ Oppa misses you a lot, take care alright? Love you~" 

"Oppa, I miss you too." I whispered, tearing up a little. 

 

-

"Happy Birthday~" Someone hugged me from the back playfully as I was walking to school. I could recognise the voice, it was Lee Joon's.

"You beat me to it!" Cried Doo Joon, pretending to look sad. 

"Thanks oppa, both of you." I smiled. 

"Be free tonight, we're dropping by your house for your birthday celebration, and I've got a surprise for you." Doo Joon said.

-

Very soon, night fell and both of my best friends came over, holding a birthday cake. As usual, their goofiness kept me laughing throughout the night. Curious, I asked Doo Joon, "So, oppa, what's this surprise you said you were gonna give me?" 

"Oh, not now Kyou, wait till 10pm." He replied, slightly glancing at Lee Joon. 

The looks on their faces told me that they were up to no good. 

Since  both of you want to play... I'll keep up and see how long you''ll last... I thought. 

I was so tired I had fallen asleep on Lee Joon's shoulder. However, he woke me up at 10pm, and said, "Now now, it's time for your surprise!" 

Having said that, they both scooped me up and carried me to the playground. I struggled at first but the strong and tight grip of their hands kept me sitting firmly in their arms.

Happy Birthday to you, Happy birthday to you~ Happy birthday to Kyou, Happy birthday to you~ 

There he was. JunHyung oppa. 

I was stunned, for I thought he was in Russia, and without realising, tears began running down my cheeks. 

"Happy Birthday, Kyou. I missed you. Now, blow the candle and make a wish."

I wished... We'd be friends forever, like how we were during our days of childhood. 

I blew the candle and hugged JunHyung tightly. 

"Cut it out! I'm getting goosebumps~" Lee Joon teased, breaking the moment.

"What did you wish for?" Doo Joon asked.

"Nothing much..." I replied.

Jun Hyung was the one among the three who understood me the best. He seemed to have caught my gaze, and it was as if he could read my thoughts. Out of a sudden, he exclaimed, "Hey! Now that I'm here, let's play... Tag." 

My eyes lit up as I heard the word, 'Tag'. I looked at JunHyung and he winked at me. He read what was in my mind again. 

"KYOU! WHY ARE YOU STARING INTO SPACE! RUN!" I heard Lee Joon's voice. "DOO JOON'S THE 'IT'!"

"Tag, you're it." Doo Joon tapped me on my shoulder.

"Aw man! No, the game officially starts now!" I shouted, excitedly.

 

It was then I knew we were going to be together forever. 

Friends forever, guys. I love you.