An Geall

An Geall (The Promise)

The song continued to play on the background. I sat sipping my coffee while watching the rain outside the shop.

The place was warm and cosy but I feel like standing outside in the cold rain, the coldness chilling down my spine.

“Hi”

“Yes?” I turned around.

“Are you alone?” he asked me looking at the vacant seat in front of me.

I smiled and nodded,

 I looked around, it’s empty.

“I usually came here since it’s kinda secluded and few people ever know this place so it’s kinda nice to be alone, but it gets lonely sometimes” he smiled at me, “ I hope you don’t mind”

“Its okay” I turned to stare at the pavement.

“You like to watch the rain, no?”

“Most of the time”

“I like the sunny weather more, it’s brighter, don’t you think so?”

Leave me alone.

“Maybe”

“But still sometimes I love to just stand in the rain”

Our eyes met for a moment.

“Why?”

“Well, if it’s raining like this, and I was standing out there in the rain, no one would realize I’m crying” he grinned at me.  “Ain’t that a pretty sight, I finally made you smile”

What do you mean finally?

I looked down blushing, “Did you ever cry in the rain?”

“I used to”

“Why?”

“I saw my crush…”

That made me laugh, “Really you just saw your crush and you cried?”

“Yup, I did. Now that I remember it, it was pretty embarrassing”

“What happened?” I got piqued.

“The first time I saw him was when I just got transferred from our school, I got lost on the way. Then I saw someone with the same uniform as I did, I asked him for directions. He smiled at me even though he didn’t know who I am.

Aish, I only asked what happened and I got the whole package. It’s still raining outside and I don’t really have anything to do so I just sat right across the guy, now that I had a closer looked at him, I noticed that when he smiled two deep set dimples would show. It’s kinda cute. Wait him?

“Yah, bored already?”

“Nope, I just had a thought; you had a crush on him because he helped you?” I flinched at the sudden pain at the back of my head. Note that I have to buy headache medicine later.

“Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, just a minor headache” I reassured him.

“Don’t worry, soon it won’t hurt anymore”

“Thanks, so about your crush?”

“Ah, I did not like him because of that, I didn’t even know why. He’s so different from my world, when he smiles there are no pretences; he’s energetic and has many friends. I only have chances to see him up close during our art class; he used to sit up for us for portrait sessions. Though he never looked at my direction I was satisfied just to be with him in the same room.”

“He did not even recognized you?” I felt bad for him; he really seems to care for the person a lot. I guess you never really know who you fall for.

“I guess so; I would silently take photos of him. When it’s time to go home I would just walk far behind and see him with his friends”

“Wait, are you a stalker? That’s kinda creepy”

He gave a short laugh, “you can say that, but I don’t stalk him like an obsession like that, no. We live on the same block that’s all, there’s time of course that he would talk to me and he eve would greet me “

“Anyways, the reason you cried is because you got dumped?”

“Ouch”

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it that way”

“Just kidding ^_^, that’s not the reason why” he took a sip, “I was his birthday and I had a gift I’ve been saving on to give it to him. I know that when his friends can’t find him he would be hanging out in an old running track at the back of our school so I went to see her if he’s there. “

I stared at him and listened, the cup in my hand almost lost its heat and the pain in my head lessen a little

“Then it started to rain, just like this one.  When I got to the field he was standing by the old shed and he was with someone”

“Oh” So that’s why.

“I cried, but still I’m happy for him”

“What do you mean?”

“Happy, because he seems to have found the someone, sad because of words that I never got the chance to tell him”

“And you just let yourself live with that one sided feeling? “

“I almost to gave up, but the I found it I was stupid for misunderstanding (laughs), I thought he was his boyfriend but I was wrong. I’m ready to tell then something happened.

What happened? My headache’s starting again.

“I thought that I might never be given the chance to tell him how I feel, but then this chance was given to me”

“This chance?”

“ I don’t know if I will be able to wake up maybe it’ll take some time but I’m happy because here I was able to make him smile and even if it’s just for a short period of time I finally have the chance to be with him”

“but… don’t you want to ”

“I would if I could, but at this point all I wanted for him was to go back, there are a lot of people waiting for him”

“Won’t you be lonely if he leaves?  Maybe here you two can finally be happy?”

“We can be happy, but not here”

“But…”

“I’m happy to be here with you, but it’s time for you to go back”

“What I don’t understand?” Tears were streaming down my cheeks. He leaned across the table towards me.

“Close your eyes”

I felt his lips touching mine, “I Love you, I always did” he whispered, “take care of yourself okay? For me”

“But...come back with me, Please” I opened my eyes...

 

“He’s awake, we’ll hold him for a few more weeks for further observation in the meanwhile, let him take a rest”

Opening my eyes, I find myself lying in a hospital bed with a bandage wrapping around my head, my brother was beside me.

“Sunggyu-hyung? What happened? Why am I here?”

 He hesitated before drawing up the white curtain beside me.

“He took most of the impact and fell into a coma, you both did. However about him…”

I sat there; looking at him as tears were racing down my face. If you only knew how I feel, If you only noticed the way I look at you, If only you know how my heart races every time I see you, you would know, how much you mean to me.”

“... You idiot”

“What happened next? Did the guy wake up? Did they end up together?”

“He woke after 3 years and it’s been a year now but he still can’t remember anything, but he did not give up on them”

“I hope he remembers, he had been waiting for her for a long time” he smiled at me as he leaned on his bed looking out to the window.

I smiled and walk to the door, “bye, I have to…

“I like the sunny weather, everything’s brighter, and don’t you think so. Visit me again, promise?”

I nod and closed the door behind me.

“… Idiot”

 

When I went to visit him again it was his discharge, he was standing by the window holding the book, when he saw me he smiled, “hey, the doctor said I’m good to go”

“Oh, that’s good” I felt like crying.

“I read your book again” he gave me the diary.

“It’s not finished yet, but maybe one day I will” I shove the book inside my bag.

Silence took over as we looked at each other. I turned around to leave.

“Sungjong-ah … thanks you for waiting for me. Today, let’s finished Book 1, okay” ^_^

“Myungsoo-ah, you remember? You…”

“Sungjong-ah” he cupped my cheeks and leaned closer, “Start Book 2, with me”

“Fine, but first… kiss me”

“gladly”

 

***Fin***