Regret

Regret

Trudging along the sidewalk I sighed. Another day of school survived. I smiled and lifted my head to look up at the sky. It was of a light gray and it drizzled down slightly. Not enough to soak through your clothes but enough to make you pull your hood deeper over your face and lower your head. I blinked slowly as I noticed that I was already in front of my house. It was a two story building but my mother, my brother and I lived on the first and second floor for rent. The ground floor was vacant so our landlords sometimes dropped by to pay a visit and fix the garden since we're lazy and always forget about it. As I opened the door I was immediately greeted by a cold nose and a warm breath along with whimpering noises. I smiled brightly as my dog jumped around me yipping and sniffing my clothes, happy to have me back. I ruffled through his fur as I greeted him and he snuggled closer, rubbing his head all over me, scenting me as best as he could. I shoved him lightly away from me to walk up the stairs, Buster (my dog) hot on my tails. Throwing the backpack in the next best corner I shuffled out of my jacket and kicked my shoes off then slumped down on the couch. Buster happily jumped right next to me and cuddled up to me, huffing contentedly and resting his head on my lap as I the TV to watch some stupid show.

Sometime later my mother came back from shopping (today was one of the rare days she decided to stay home and not work) and greeted me. She then reminded me, that we were about to go visit my aunt and cousin for her birthday party and that I was to walk my dog first. I begrudgingly got up, not wanting to face the not so pleasant weather again while Buster noticed the change in behavior and immediately made the connection that we were about to go for a walk which means that he lost his last bit of sanity, jumping around me like crazy and running around the house yipping and yapping, not forgetting to sometimes stop and check how much longer it will take me before scurrying away. Once I was fully dressed and grabbed the leash he wiggled and jumped around so I told him in my best stern voice to sit down. He did so (with a lot of difficulty) but as soon as I came closer with the leash he jumped around again.

It took me approximately 5 minutes to finally get him calm enough so I could put his leash on him. Once done he ran down the stairs and tried running past me outside. I glared down at him and told him to stop it but he was buzzing with excitement. I sighed and slowly started walking, correcting him every few seconds when he tried to make a dash for it. Once we reached the forest he was calm enough so I allowed him to roam around (but still attached to the leash because he would be gone forever, hunting poor unsuspecting animals). Suddenly he stopped walking and looked at something behind me. I turned around and saw someone walking their dog. Not wanting to hold a conversation and making it awkward with walking the same path I started walking again, trying to drag Buster along but he stood his ground and wouldn't walk properly.
With an annoyed eye roll I stopped walking and let the unknown person catch up with us.

Turns out it was a boy my age, walking the dog from a friend. We started chatting and he was really nice and sweet. I talked for the most part but he was listening attentively and threw in some comments or opinions of his. But it was soon time for us to part because he had to bring the dog back to it's owners so I smiled, waved and told him goodbye. I walked approximately two steps before he called out for me again and said that we could walk sometime again and all stupid me replied was a 'yup' because I was floating on cloud nine and forgot that we didn't exchange phone numbers, names or anything I could use to find him again. But that thought only hit me later. During that time I was just so happy to have met him and later on going to my cousin that I didn't think about it.

I wish I could turn back time.

 

It's been a few months now since I have met the boy I came to call 'forest dude'. I have not seen him since then and I was starting to accept the fact that I most probably never will meet him ever again. Even though we live in a rather small town it's almost impossible to meet the handsome stranger you once met in the forest and don't know the name of.

But let's go on with the story telling.

I have two best friends who happen to be sisters. I won't mention their names since they're of no significance for this story but I will use their nicknames Hwa (the younger one) and Zinger (the older one but still younger than me). They like to call me Giant since I'm the tallest one out of the group (I'm 1,76). Don't ask me how we came up with the name Zinger it's a long story and not that interesting.

But anyway my friend Zinger was crushing on this girl she met on a dating app and they've been meeting each other for quite some time now. Her actual name will also not be mentioned but I gave her the nickname 'Maze' since most of the time I don't understand the way she's thinking. She's younger than Zinger by two years and the same age as Hwa.

They've been meeting up with each other frequently on the weekend since Maze lives quite a bit away from us. Even though Maze is a bit weird and doesn't say what she's thinking or if she wants anything and so on she's still kinda nice. I soon came to not feel content being near her so I started not visiting my friends when I knew she was there. We still met up frequently but I just didn't know what to do with Maze. By the way Zinger and Maze started dating around Christmas. Anyway once Easter break hit, Zinger, Hwa and I went shopping. Zinger was a bit distressed because her girlfriend had been acting strange and said she needed to talk to her. So she was a bit fuzzy about what was going on. Her good friend... let's call her Vegas (she works in a Casino so I think that name is quite fitting for her) as well told her that she wanted to be there when Maze was talking to her which really ed her up (please excuse my bad language) because it seemed that Maze talked to Vegas (they met for the first time like three days ago) about the stuff that was going to happen and Zinger just felt so betrayed by her friend. Maze also kept on twisting Zingers words around to make my friend look bad. Unnecessary to say that I and Hwa were pissed.

Anyways after a lot of tears on Zingers side and anger on mine and Hwa's we made it back to their home when Zinger received a call from her girlfriend Maze. Hwa and I left the room to give her some privacy and after about half an hour Zinger returned to our side teary eyed and told us that Maze broke up with her. Thankfully Zinger told us that she wasn't really sure if she loved Maze or not. Sure she was quite a bit sad because she liked her but not that much yet.

Ah yeah I almost forgot, when Zinger and Maze were dating Maze used to change in the bathroom because she felt insecure about her body, even though Zinger never failed to remind her that she thought she was beautiful and stuff. Anyway about 4 days after their break up Maze told Vegas that she slept with a girl she met for the first time while they were camping. Least to say we were quite a bit shocked. Shy little Maze had it in her huh?
Anyway a few weeks later she even told Vegas that she was crushing on her and cried because Vegas already had a boyfriend. So instead of feeling sad that they broke up, Zinger is now actually really glad. How low can someone step to want to hook up with their ex-girlfriends best friend? And telling them, fully knowing that they would be spilling the beans to their good friends? Like I said. I don't understand her way of thinking.
Either way Zinger is now about to fall for another girl, cookie Monster (she wore a shirt with it printed on the front side and stuffed her cheeks with cookies. I'm not really creative with my nicknames for people around me alright?). She seems like a really nice girl from the way they're writing and what Zinger told me about her so I'm totally okay with my friend dating her (when it comes to dating I act like a mom. I want to know how they are and meet them and stuff to make sure they're alright and not some boys or girls). So now enough about Zingers dating life.

Let's talk about Hwa's. Like I mentioned before she's the youngest one out of the group. She's also a straightforward and honest person. If she's displeased you will notice immediately because she will let you know. Not always with words, most of the time she'll just show you the cold shoulder. But she's not one to hold grudges.

Anyway she met this one guy on omegle. Might not be the best way to meet someone but it worked for her. They chatted for quite some time (approximately one year). They also said they were 'husband' and 'wife' though not literally. He's an introvert but also seems really nice from what I was told and the messages I was shown. But just as straightforward as her so I guess it just... fits?
Anyway he told her that he wanted to meet her soon and they both set a date. He lives really far away though (no not another country just like three hours with the train and when I bought a ticket to get there (for a concert) it was about 70 euro which honestly speaking is too much. Especially for students who don't have any money) so they agreed on a city somewhere in between though closer to us. Since I am very protective of my friends I didn't want her to meet some stranger she hasn't even met yet alone so I and her sister tagged along. We just wanted to meet him, get a first impression and then leave them be to get some alone time (not rated mind you!). So we met him and he is really shy. A total introvert who didn't really talk to us but only to her which is totally fine.
So yeah the date apparently went really well and we got to see a different side to Hwa at least I have never seen before. Her adorable and shy side. She was so nervous and bright red the whole time! They were both fidgeting and it was too cute to look at.

She told me that he wants to meet her again and told her via Skype that he already missed her on Sunday morning when he woke up.

Too. Frigging. Adorable.

It really makes me wish I got the number of forest dude.

Will I ever meet him again?

Does he have a girlfriend?

Does he even remember me?

But oh well it's not like he will jump right through the window as I type this little story of a slice of my life. I will probably never see him again. I mean come on I have my dog now for almost five years and I have just seen him once. I am sure I will never see him again. And that is fine by me. I just have to let go of that moment in the woods where it felt like the world finally clicked into place. Where I for once wasn't awkward around a boy. I was my silly self and didn't feel judged. Where I felt comfortable but excited at the same time.

Let me tell you. If you ever meet someone like that. So naturally and it feels like you can let go and be yourself, then don't let them go. Even if you don't know them and feel that connection, even if you just met, try to make an effort. Don't make the mistake I did by letting it slip.

Maybe we wouldn't have fit. Maybe he wasn't the right one. Maybe.

But you know what?

I will never find out.

I wish I could turn back time...

Bye, bye Forest Dude