Photo

Photo

Park Chanyeol closed his eyes as the wind from the east blew. He shut his eyelids open, crossing his arms. He stared out of the water and took in his surroundings. The ocean that reflected the color of the sky as the twilight deepened, waves were silent and calm, a soothing feeling emerged to him. Clouds were thick, hiding the sun as it set further down the horizon, the night s were beginning to sing their lullaby and his anxiety was slowly fading away. The place was beautiful, but unfamiliar. He was in Busan now, a city he'd never set his foot before. But what, would you ask, was he doing there?

To answer the question that has been bugging him since his plane landed in Busan International Airport, he pulled a photograph from his pocket.

He smiled as he caressed the photo, it was beginning to discolor, fading slowly with the passage of time. He knew there would come a day when the boy in the picture would be impossible to see. The photo must have taken years before he had found it. The boy in the picture was beaming from ear to ear, his hand holding a trophy for something he had accomplished. The boy was wearing a faded blue jeans and a white T-shirt, he was atleast a five footer. His hair was brown, shining under the sun. His eyes were onyx black that seemed to hold a thousands upon thousands of secrets. His smile were wide, white teeth and his smile were so radiant it could rival the sun. At the back of the photo was a handwritten note: 'Busan 2011, Best in writing awardee'

But what was so special with that photo? That photo, that simple photo was the reason he could see everything life has to offer in front of him. Because that photo had saved him when he was in the army. And as he walked back to his hotel room, he remembered.

**

He was stationed in North Korea where was ongoing between two separated countries. It was a quiet then, they thought that they had fend off the enemies attacks. But who would have thought, that the place they were sitting on would explode after a minute? He was sitting then, head resting over his riffle when he saw something shiny on the ground few meters away from him. Curiosity gets the better of him, he find himself standing up, walking toward the shiny thing. Then, he find a photo, buried with rocks with, and when he lowered his head to picked it, that's when an explosion came. He could only remember bits and pieces. Him, picking the photo, the explosion, him trying to rescue any member of his squad, him being pushed back by yet another explosion and then he just fell out of consciousness and the next thing he knew, he was under the trauma unit of Seoul National Hospital with damaged but not life-threatning injuries inflicted on his body. He had suffered minor burns on his chest and he has a concussion that he had to stay for months confined in there. Then, he was granted by a permission to leave the army for the physical injuries and scars that would never heal. Not to mention his unstable emotional damage. But leaving the army doesn't stop when you were relieved of duty, memories would never leave you. Memories would haunt you.

At night, he would wake up from his owm screams, with his dreams entangled with the lost of lives, with the lost of hope and with the lost of dreams. His dreams would be clouded with his comrades dying in front of him, with their body parts fragments as the bomb exploded that killed them. In the end, he would cry for the rest of the night, and then one night, the nightmares stopped, it was when he saw the photo that saved him. Only upon looking at it that he would finally find solace. He would sleep every night with a peaceful dream while holding it.

So when he was discharged from the hospital after ten months of confinement, he set out a journey to find the boy, that's why he was in Busan. And tomorrow, he would began his search to find the angel that heaven had sent to him.

*

Come morning, after having his breakfast, he put on his jeans and shirt and placed the photo on his pocket, hand holding a map of Busan.

He started his search on the main boulevard, with a question, "Hey, do you, by any chance, know this boy?"

He spent the whole day asking that question, showing them the photo. With every shake of head, his disappointment would grew stronger. And a month after he set out that journey, with hope slowly fading, a young girl in the outskirts of Busan gave him an information.

"Yes, he's my classmate way back in college," she said, examining the photo once more. "They have a small gift shop downtown. I can sketch the directions if you want," she offered, drawing a map on a paper napkin. He thanked him by paying her lunch.

He started to walk, following the sketch the girl had gave. His heart was beating faster, excited to meet his saviour. His steps started to skip, he's excited to see of the boy's eyes were really onyx.

This is it, he thought as he saw the small gift shop the girl had described. He took a deep breath before he pushed the door open. He reminded himself to breathe when the chimes rang. The shop was small, but almost all of the school supplies and gift items were in there. The air-conditioner worked with a loud sound and the television was on. He walked to the cashier's counter, when he find there was no one manning the shop, he used that opportunity to compose himself. Two minutes after he arrived, the door across the shop, revealing the boy, now a man on the photo with a smile on his face. 

"Hey, can I help you?" came his sweet voice. He turned to his way and he didn't dared to closed his eyes. He was so perfect, he decided immediately, heart going on faster and faster. He bit his lips, just to stop himself from grinning because he had found him. He traveled for hours and miles upon miles and it was worth it.

The other man looked at him, brows furrowing, "You must be new here, I haven't seen you before," he said with a strong southern accent, it was music, a lullaby in his ears. "By the way, my name's Byun Baekhyun," he smiled as he offered his hand.

He took it, noticed how soft his hands were. Byun Baekhyun, he repeated to himself and for a moment, he decided, that his name, Baekhyun's name was just as beautiful as his face and smile.

"I'm Park Chanyeol," he said quietly. And they both smiled as they held each others hands.

 

Author's Note: an open ending for you, i know I'm terrible, spare meeee.