End

Red

If Mark would have to liken Jaebum to a color, it would definitely be red. It wasn’t an unusual observation, one that anyone could have offhandedly made but Jaebum had laughed when Mark had answered that.

 

“Red huh? It’s because of my anger management issues, isn’t it?”Jaebum had said after his laughter died down.

 

It was already late, closer to morning than to night and Mark had insisted that he wanted to practice some more after their allotted practice hours. Jackson had frowned at him, asking him in Mandarin if everything was okay and was seconds away from staying with the older when Jaebum shouldered past Jackson, glaring at the two. It was the glare that Jaebum used whenever the foreign members speak English or Mandarin amongst themselves. Jackson glared back at Jaebum, Mark putting a hand between them with a sigh. Jaebum had only raised an eyebrow at Jackson before announcing that he would be staying with Mark instead. Mark quickly assured Jackson that he was fine and to go back with the others, more to stop the two from fighting again than anything else. Jackson didn’t look too happy about it but in the end, he went back with Bambam, leaving the two oldest alone.

 

So here they were a few hours after Jaebum had stayed with Mark. The first hour was an absolute waste, Mark missing the steps more often than not, leading to him groaning in frustration. He glared at Jaebum who was just sitting there on the floor, smirking at the older when he felt Mark’s glare. Stupid distracting Jaebum. Mark stared at Jaebum before letting out a long breath. He needed to get his head straight. The rapper closed his eyes, determinedly ignoring the younger’s presence before turning the music back on.

 

“I think that’s enough.” Jaebum’s deep voice cut in the state Mark had made for himself. The younger turned off the music, throwing a water bottle at Mark who barely caught it.

Mark fixed Jaebum an unimpressed look, rolling his eyes when Jaebum just winked at him. “Thanks, leader.” Mark grinned cheekily, knowing the younger hated it when Mark called him that.

“Shut up.”Jaebum replied. He reached for the towel in Mark’s bag, handing it to the older. “Hey, I have something to ask.”

“Shoot.”Mark said distractedly, wiping at his sweat.

“What color reminds you of me?”

“Red.” Mark said easily, digging through his bag and frowning when he didn’t find any extra shirts.

    Mark was surprised when jaebum laughed loudly, eyes crinkled up in mirth. The older just shook his head, waiting for the younger to calm down. He was shocked by what Jaebum concluded from his answer though.

 

“T-that’s not what I meant, Jaebum.  I mean, yeah, red means anger but that isn’t the only thing it means.” Mark argued.

“Nah, it’s okay. No need to explain.”Jaebum shook his head, quickly gathering their things and heading out the door.

 

Mark sighed deeply, muttering a ‘what the ’ under his breath and following Jaebum out. The younger was looking at him in amusement, drinking in all of the rapper’s features. As usual, Mark fidgeted under the gaze, turning away as he grabbed Jaebum’s hand, smirking at the face the younger was making.

 

“You’re sweaty.”Jaebum complained.

“You’ll live.” Mark said, moving further into the younger’s personal space. “I really didn’t mean it that way though.”

“Whatever you say, babe.”

“You don’t believe me.”

“Of course I do.”

Mark pinched Jaebum’s arm. “Jaebum, stop patronizing me!”

“Why would I ever do that, princess?”

“I hate you sometimes.”

“You love me more often anyway.”

--

Red for Mark was passion.  And there was no one more passionate than Jaebum. Mark remembered his trainee days, hours drawn out by continuous practices, days stretched into an uncertain future. Being a trainee meant that you’d always have to be on your toes, always step with your best food forward. It was exhausting in more ways than one.

 

That was how Jaebum had caught his attention. Jaebum who was almost like an actual idol, Jaebum that was excellent in both singing and dancing, Jaebum that was the first in the training room and always the last one out, Jaebum who everyone idolized and envied equally. Jaebum.

 

Mark didn’t know what to make out of the younger at first. Jaebum and he had barely spoken outside of introducing each other and a few tidbits here and there but nothing that would tell him who Jaebum was. Honestly, Mark couldn’t make out anything about the younger other than maybe he was quite a show off. Jaebum was their teacher’s favourite and Jinyoung as well but Jinyoung was different. Jinyoung had a bright aura, friendly and warm to all. Jaebum on the other hand had a cocky air around him, smirking to himself whenever the teacher called him to demonstrate or praised him. Mark had rolled his eyes at the sight more than once.

 

Then suddenly Mark found his eyes drawn to Jaebum, watching how the younger was when he was alone and defenseless. Maybe the younger wasn’t half bad. Maybe Jaebum wasn’t as confident as he seemed. Suddenly, it was like seeing Jaebum for the first time. He didn’t seem as closed off as before and Mark found the younger to be quite an open book if one took the time to read him.

 

Jaebum had one look of concentration that captivated Mark. It was an expression present whenever he did something because everything that Jaebum did, he did a full 100%, completely immersing himself in it. Mark’s favourite look on the younger was Jaebum smiling brightly after executing a particularly complicated move or reaching a note he couldn’t before. The younger’s eyes would turn into crescents, face flushed with joy and passion.

 

“Do you want to learn b boying?”

Mark blinked owlishly at Jaebum. The younger was still looking at him, obviously waiting for an answer. “What?”Mark blurted out in English. He looked around the room, noticing how everyone had already left. Even Jackson had left him already. Why was Jaebum talking to him?

“I can teach you b-boying.” Jaebum answered back in English.

Mark paused in looking around, turning to the younger and giving him a small smile. He knew that Jaebum was one of the trainees that didn’t like speaking English and the fact that the younger was doing so felt nice. Mark appreciated the effort. “I’m not sure if I’ll be any good.” He finally replied, switching to Korean.

Jaebum shrugged. “You have a good figure for it. Besides, we won’t know until we try, right?”

And so Jaebum and and Mark spent the next hours going through what the younger had deemed as basic b-boy moves. Mark really tried but more often than not he found himself on his , watching as Jaebum did the move easily and perfectly. Then the LA lad saw another part of Jaebum that he didn’t he would see: patience. The younger never lost his cool even as Mark fumbled and tumbled with his directions, never raised his voice as he went through the explanation again.

 

“You did it!”Jaebum exclaimed, voice echoing off the mirrors of the practice room. Mark could feel the younger’s happiness radiate from all over the room.

“Y-yeah, wow. I did it!” mark repeated, not quite able to believe it himself.

“I knew you could! Good job, hyung!” Jaebum said, grinning at him.

 

Mark suddenly felt hot, all too aware that it was just him and Jaebum in the practice room, maybe in the whole building. The pieces fell differently again. Maybe it was because Jaebum never really talked to him, never directed that smile to Mark, never been this Jaebum to the older but it made Mark wonder. How many people had seen Jaebum like this? The Jaebum whose eyes are lit up with excitement? The Jaebum that was obviously pleased on sharing something he deeply loved? It suddenly felt like Mark couldn’t breathe but he just shook his head. It wasn’t important at the moment.

 

“Uh, could you show me some more moves?” Mark said meekly, hoping that he didn’t mess his Korean up.

 

The sky continued getting darker and darker until the first rays of sunlight made its way through the clouds. People were starting to trickle in the practice room, voices echoing around the walls. But Mark didn’t pay them any attention, too enraptured by the light that was Jaebum.

--

“What the ?” Jackson exclaimed.

Park Jinyoung, as in the legendary JYP, didn’t look too happy with the outburst but he didn’t scold Jackson either. “Jaebum wanted to be the one to break the news to you guys but he had other things to do so I volunteered.” He looked around the table, sighing deeply. “I know you’re all worried but this is Jaebum we’re talking about. He’s going to be joining you guys onstage soon enough.”

 

No one moved or said anything, even Jackson and Bambam looked shocked. Mark cleared his throat, knowing he had to say something. Taking a deep breath, he gripped onto the table tightly, looking at their CEO.

 

“Is that all, PD-nim? Can we go back to practice now?” Mark asked as calmly as he could with his heart hammering a thousand miles per hour.

JYP nodded, fixing Mark with a levelled look before nodding to all of them. “Go back to practice then. Listen to your eldest. Work hard.”

 

The boys bowed stiffly as their CEO took his leave, slumping into their chairs afterwards. The atmosphere in the room was probably the worst and most sober Mark had experienced while being in Got7 and all with good reason. Mark discreetly pulled his phone out, checking to see if Jaebum had sent him anything at all.

 

Nothing.

 

Mark bit his lip, his concern for his boyfriend and the knowledge of what Jaebum wanted him to do battling each other, disorienting him for a bit. God, Jaebum better cough out a good explanation for this later.

 

“Let’s go. The concert’s coming up and we still have to finish running through everything.” Mark finally spoke up. The rest of Got7 looked at him unsurely but the oldest just nodded his head.

“Mark…”Jackson said carefully, placing an arm on the older’s forearm.

Mark shook his head, removing the other’s hold on him. “Not now, Jack.” He whispered in English. He didn’t have time for his best friend’s concern, knowing it’ll just make him cry and he couldn’t have that, not now.

 

Mark smiled as best as he could, grabbing Youngjae’s hand as he headed out. Bambam immediately latched onto Mark’s other side, Yugyeom shadowing them closely. Mark could hear Jinyoung and Jackson talking about Jaebum at the back but they kept their voices down thankfully.

 

“Hyung will be alright though, right?”Youngjae whispered.

Mark squeezed his hand, smiling as he nuzzled the younger. “Of course.”

--

“What the hell are the other things you had to do that was more important than telling us that you were getting surgery?!” Mark exclaimed as he barged into his room. Jackson had officially been kicked out the moment the bugs left and Jaebum had moved in.

 

The rapper could feel the eyes on his back before Jinyoung’s mumbled voice rang in the air. He could hear the sound of feet shuffling until their TV was , giving the two eldest some sort of privacy. Jaebum turned around then and Mark’s anger evaporated into nothing. The leader was smiling slightly, tear tracks on his face as he looked at Mark. The older shut the door behind him, locking it before crossing the room to his boyfriend. He kneeled down by the edge of the bed, hands cupping either sides of Jaebum’s face.

 

“Talk to me, Jae.” Mark whispered.

“I have to get surgery then PT. I’m not sure how long it will take or if I could get back to my state before everything.” Jaebum answered calmly, shrugging as if it was no deal at all. It scared Mark seeing his boyfriend like this. This was the closed off Jaebum.

 

Mark nodded, slowly rising to his feet as he gently pushed Jaebum on his back. The rapper frowned when the younger winced, quickly ducking his head when his boyfriend looked at him. He had to remain strong the two of them. Mark raised his head then, smiling as he showered his boyfriend’s face with kisses, swallowing back a sob when Jaebum started crying. Jaebum suddenly pulled Mark down to him, the older quickly trying to get up since he knew that his boyfriend’s waist was hurting.

 

“Jae!” Mark scolded when Jaebum just pulled him even closer. “Your waist!”

“It’s fine. I don’t care. I need you more.” The younger replied, snaking his arms around Mark’s waist. He pulled Mark closer until he could bury his face in the crown of the older’s head. “I’m scared, baby.”

 

Mark froze, unsure of how to react to that at first. He moved around until he could lace their hands together. He brought their interlaced hands to his mouth, gently kissing Jaebum’s knuckles. The Jaebum that would hold everything in until everything exploded was telling him that he was scared. It was something Mark didn’t really like seeing. He shut his eyes, thumb drawing circles on Jaebum’s hand as he thought about the past days.

 

Red had become their code for stop. Stop being an . Stop flirting with the other members. Just. Stop. Mark had been shocked when his boyfriend had screamed it when they were rehearsing for ‘This Love’. Obviously, the other members didn’t get what that meant but Mark definitely did. He quickly went to his boyfriend’s side who was biting his lip hard enough to draw blood as he pointed at his waist. Everything went downhill from there. 

 

Mark knew that Jaebum’s waist had been constantly hurting these days, that even the slightest movement would cause his boyfriend to wince in pain but he didn’t know it was this serious. He gripped Jaebum’s hand tighter, worry flooding his system.

 

“You don’t have to be scared.” Mark whispered, knowing Jaebum was still waiting for his answer. “We’re here for you, all 6 of us. No matter what, we’ll be here for you.” Mark whispered, moving his head to kiss at Jaebum’s pulse. “I’m here for you.”

“But, do you think everything will be fine? Honestly.” Jaebum asked, loosening his hold to look at his boyfriend.

 

Mark looked up at Jaebum. There was raw fear and agony written in his boyfriend’s eyes, expressions that the younger would usually hide. Jaebum finally looked younger than Mark, looking to his hyung for hope and guidance. Mark’s heart leapt to his throat.

 

“Everything will be alright, baby. Just focus on getting better.” Mark reassured him. He smiled teasingly, hoping to lighten the atmosphere. “Before you know it, you’ll be standing and performing with us again, yelling at Jackson and Bambam for whatever they did.” He grinned when the younger scoffed. “Now when I say focus on getting better, I mean it. Jinyoung and I will look after the kids. “

“I’m still the dad in this group, okay?”

“I’m not taking your place, stupid.”

“I meant Jinyoung, you idiot. You can keep the kids in line without being too touchy.”

“Aww, is my Jaebummie jealous?” Mark cooed, happy that Jaebum didn’t seem to be as worried as before.

“As if.” Jaebum rolled his eyes

 

Mark chuckled, propping himself up as he grinned down at Jaebum. The fear in Jaebum’s eyes was still there but it was dimmed, replaced with the shine of trust that the younger has for Mark.

 

“You are the strongest and most stubborn person I know. You love dancing and performing more than anything. This is just a small bump in the way, baby.” Mark said softly, running his fingers through Jaebum’s hair.

“Well, not more than anything. I have you.” Jaebum smiled back, eyes soft and tender on Mark’s face.

--

“Are the two of you just going to eye each other or is someone going to confess?” Jackson complained from his spot on the floor.

Mark choked on the burger he was eating, throwing a couple of fries at his best friend. “Oh my god, Jackson!”

“What? You know it’s true. Besides we’re talking in Mandarin so it’s not like Jae understands.” Jackson retorted, picking up the fries Mark threw and began eating them. “Man, we have no ketchup?”

“What are the two of you talking about?” jaebum asked, handing Mark a can of soda, sticking his tongue out when Jackson frowned. “None for you, Wang.”

“See, this is what I’m talking about! Blatant discrimination for your members!” Jackson complained. He switched to Korean, glaring at Jaebum. “Jaebum hyung, if you’re not going to man up and confess to Mark, let me know now so I can help Mark confess to you instead.”

“Jackson!” Mark exclaimed, face turning red.

Jaebum turned to Mark then, ignoring how Yugyeom and Bambam were filming what was happening. “Mark Tuan Yien?”

“uh, yes?” Mark answered shyly. “J-just ignore Jackson. The heat’s getting to him.”

Jaebum just smiled, chuckling as he pulled Mark in a hug. “You might have a dumb best friend but I love you.”

“What?” Mark squeaked, not really sure what was happening. Was someone pranking him?

Jaebum pulled back, caressing Mark’s cheek. “I said I love you. You’re supposed to say you love me too or something.”

“I, uh, uhm…”Mark blinked up at Jaebum. Though it was a different setting, Mark felt like he was back to when Jaebum first talked to him, his attention fully on the younger. “I love you too.”

“That’s what I wanted to hear.” Jaebum said confidently but Mark could see the hint of red on the younger’s cheeks. Before Mark could comment on it, Jaebum had pressed closer, kissing Mark’s forehead. “Thank you.” The younger whispered.

 

Mark felt dazed the rest of their practice but it was alright. Jaebum kept on looking at him, eyes sparkling in a different way, eyes brighter than when he talked about dancing, the same emotion but a different level shining behind those orbs. It was captivating.

--

The airport was crowded when Got7 landed for Fly in Shanghai. Bambam was busy doing his thing, posing for the fans at the airport while the others tried to talk to the fans as much as possible. Mark let himself be at the back, digging for his phone and calling his boyfriend as he had promised.

 

“Hey, Jae.”mark greeted when the younger picked up.

“Hey, babe.”Jaebum answered back. “You’re far enough that I can call you that, right?”

Mark hummed. “What time are you going to see your doctor?”

“A little bit after lunch. I’ll text you everything later, I promise.”

“You better.”

Jaebum just chuckled. “Such a worrier.” Mark could hear the sound of drawers opening and he already knew what his boyfriend was going to ask him next. “Oh, babe, by the way, the things in the drawer…?”

Mark chewed his lip, suddenly feeling shy about what he did. “That’s the symbol of luck and love in Chinese. Red is considered as a lucky color for us as well so I juust… uhm, see, my mom did this with us when we had big exams coming up in school?” he chuckled embarrassedly, shaking his head at Jackson. “It’s superstitious; ignore it.”

 

Jaebum didn’t say anything. Mark waited for the younger’s reply but then their managers were telling them they had to get moving. Mark waved to the crowd, hoping no one got mad that he didn’t do any fan service.

 

“jae?” Mark tried again, wondering if they got disconnected.

“I love you.” Jaebum answered back in mandarin.

Mark smiled, ducking his head in Jinyoung’s shoulder in case he was blushing. “I love you too.” He raised his head slightly, grinning wider when he saw the rest of the boys watching. “Get better and fly with us next time, okay, Jae?”

“Yes, princess.” Jaebum answered and somehow, Mark could see the younger’s smile, all gentle and loving and just for Mark’s eyes. 

 

 

A.N: omg i missed this pairing. we srsly need more markbum fics. <3 <3 i really didnt want to bring aje's accident into this but... i just did so. sighs :( 

 

im sort of planning to do like... a rainbow thing for got7? like one color of the rainbow for a got7 pairing (tho most probably be mark pairings bc i'm a tuan girl) but i'm not sure??? guess it'll depend here!! hahaha

 

let me know what you guys think??/ prettty pweaaase?? xx thank you!!