La Rose

Blood Oath

Kim Sohye ran through the marble halls, hitching her skirts up so as to avoid yet another embarrassing tumble in front of the court

 

Breakfast this evening had commenced at an ungodly hour to accommodate the new arrivals’ delicate sensibilities. Sohye had risen at the set hour, prompted a grumbling Queen through the doors off to the light banqueting room, and quickly set to directing preparations for teatime.

 

Now, scarcely a quarter hour to the event, she found herself dashing through the halls in search of an wandering duchess.

 

It seemed that the Duchess Mina had stepped out to take in some fresh air and had unwittingly managed to give her accompanying party the slip.

 

“I can scarcely believe it meself ma'am, one minute she was here placid as a babe then the next she was gone. Vanished!”, a rather jittery serving girl had imparted upon the noble.

 

Sohye inwardly rolled her eyes at the girl’s dramatics and requested an article of the Duchess’ clothing with which to scent the girl out. The palace was far too large to conduct a manual search, especially within the time constraints imposed upon her.

 

The girl, she found, smelled of honeysuckle and milk. Lovely, if not a bit cloying in its sweetness.

 

Sohye followed the now obvious trail to the greenhouse in the west wing. There, the girl could be seen kneeling into the fresh bouquets of wild roses.
 

She seemed unaware of the arrival of a new presence and prettily smelled the flowers for a few moments longer.

 

Sohye admired the moonlight glinting off the girl’s ebony waves, the competing roses blooming on the apples of her cheeks.

 

The duchess moved to take up a pair of gardening shears, carefully positioning the blades around a few stems.

 

At that moment, Sohye decided to shift her weight; causing, in that swift movement, an innocent planting of violets to clatter to the floor.

 

The Duchess immediately startled and cried out in pain as she sliced her thumb open on a vengeful thorn through her carelessness.

 

Sohye immediately rushed to her side and took the girl’s hand into her own.

 

The blood had scarcely begun to well up through the torn skin, it’s freshness spurring an ache Sohye’s gums.

 

She quickly raised the injury to , cleanly sealing the womb with her tongue.

 

“There you go my lady, good as new.”

 

Mina gaped from her hand, back to her companion.

 

“How-how did you manage that?”

 

Sohye giggled at the girl’s drained expression.

 

“It’s not as if I performed an act of witchery!,” she exclaimed while ushering in servants to clear the mess and prepare some cuttings,” Don’t you know our saliva contains reparative enzymes silly? Didn’t you research at all our nature before coming to reside in a coven?”

 

Mina flushed at the girl’s queries, finding it indeed silly that she had arrived so hopelessly uninformed.

 

“Yes, I suppose mother and father did wrong in forbidding me certain texts.”

 

Sohye raised her eyebrows before beckoning the girl back towards the castle.

 

“A mother and father you say? How dreadfully droll.” She sighed.

 

Sohye took the girl’s hand, the tap of their slippers echoing off the marble perfectly in time.

 

“Do you not have parents, your grace?”, Mina ventured.

 

“I suppose I did once,” Sohye replied, “ but I seem to possess no memory of them.”

She turned to glance at Mina’s put out expression. “Do not fret fair lady, you cannot miss what you never knew. I find myself most satisfied in the court’s embrace, as I hope for you in time.”

 

“Yes,” The girl murmured, “ I suppose that would be for the best”.

 

They walked in silence for a moment, Sohye stealing curious glances at the Duchess as the other entertained herself with the intricate portraits on the walls.

 

“Oh!,” the Duchess exclaimed, “ I am expected at the queen’s chambers soon. Could you lead me there, my lady?”

 

Sohye could no longer contain herself, She pulled away from the party and dropped into the nearest chaise, overwhelmed by a raucous laugh that racked through her entire body.

 

“Oh you are indeed quite silly, my lady! Where did you think to find yourself being led?”

 

She wiped the tears of mirth from her eyes and took a handmaiden’s arm to rise

 

“Come now, your grace. We are indeed expected.”

 

The party strode up one last flight of stairs before reaching the gilded doors of the queen’s chambers.

 

Mina blinked at the flush of golden light that seeped all at once as the entry was manually widened.

 

Sohye strode forward into the tea room, proudly surveying her handiwork at the elegant display. She approached the girls, curtsying quick,y before the queen before announcing their awaited guest.

 

“The Duchess Mina, your grace. It appears she has brought a bouquet of roses to grace our table today.”

 

Queen Somi clapped her hands together in excitement.

 

“How wonderful! Do sit at my side dear duchess.”

 

Mina was led to her seat and smiled warmly in greeting.

 

Behind them, the clock chimed the hour. It’s ancient pendulum witness to two searing gazes fixed upon the young duchess.

 

 

 

A/N: I love Mina's character in this. You can tell she was her parent's little princess, shielded from the outside world.

I hope you guys liked this chapter!