Simple Jack

Everyone's a Critic

Self Proclaimed. Self Managed. Self Opinionated.

??? POV:

My heavy footsteps sounded through the muffled carpet floor of the theatre hallway. The dimmed lighting that surrounded me set a relaxed atmosphere, enabling people to believe that this was a stress free environment.

"Did you read Simple Jack's last entry about Creed? It was on point and most definitely not a let down!"

My ears perked up upon hearing that statement, but my eyes stayed glued to the floor. It was odd hearing my screen name in public, usually. Although, it wasn't a rare occurrence. Turning the corner, I reached my destination.

 

Theatre 13.

 

I made my way through the double doors and settled myself in a seat. 7 rows up, dead center. Luckily, I was able to snag it before the theatre began to fill. Not 15 minutes later, it was packed. Fidgeting in my seat, I was able to find a comfortable position before engulfing my mind into the movie synopsis.

 

Uncertainty was the movie title. The entirety of the film is focused on a female lead who is given the news of her decaying health. Being as a young adult, she sets out on an adventure to travel all seven continents of the world. It was a pretty generic plot, but the trailer was definitely an eye catcher. Due to the actress who played the lead role. Krystal Jung.

 

From celebrity based articles, she's a rising actress who has starred in multiple films as a short side role. This would be her indefinite first main role in the acting industry.

 

The theatre lights began to dim further until the room was actually dark. The outline of the screen in front had then began to adjust itself to the sizing of the projector's projection. A while light gradually appeared and the trailers started to roll.

 

I payed close attention to see what films that I could add to my long list of movies queued. Seeing as to which one the could possibly be worthy for a movie critique by Simple Jack.

 

Uncertain was recommended to me through private messages from multiple individuals whom had seemed to enjoy my entries from the past. Being at the top of my queue, I finally found time in my schedule to buy a ticket and see it myself. Movie critiquing had first started off as a hobby I practiced around once a week. Posting on my blog my opinion of the film and rating it to any other person who might take interest in the movie. Some whom have agreed with my opinions, and other whom haven't. I didn't take note as to how important my entries were until I was contacted by Seoul City's Post. Apparently, my critiques were so often viewed that they were eventually offering me a job. Something that started off as a minor hobby, soon became my professional career.

 

Thus far, I believe I've written 412 entries on my blog about 412 different films in the past 2 years. Personally, my is starting to feel the burn on these theatre chairs.

 

I pressed my head against the head rest, and engrossed myself as the movie began to play. The beginning started off slow, still impeding the audience from actually seeing "Hannah." She was hardworking artist whose had seemed to be well off in her career. The audience would constantly see her back or her face turned from the camera. Fifteen minutes in, and director had finally allows us to grasp a view as to what she had looked like. I never had seen what Krystal Jung had looked like before actually seeing this film. With the exception of a 5 minute trailer. Although, if I were to describe it in one word it would be gracious.

 

She held such a gentle smile, courteous composure throughout the entire film. As much as the plot might've been predictable, her acting skills carried the slack. Her emotional connection and efforts into her character was genuine. I must've trailed off, inattentive to the actual plot a few times because of her.

 

By the time the movie ended, I sat still in my seat. The images of Krystal Jung's facial expressions seared into my brain. Loads of people left the movie theatre in tears from the result in the ending. It was basically inevitable, the girl was diagnosed with stage four cancer. Terminal. They should've at least seen that coming. I heaved a long held sigh, and groaned as I lifted myself up from my cushioned chair. My well rested legs carried me out the movie theatre and towards the parking lot.

 

Seoul City's Post wants this entry in by tonight. With me being a huge procrastinator, I'd say that's suicide. Although, money is money.

 

My hand moved to start the engine, then shifting the gears into drive. During the drive along the highway, my thoughts drifted off about Soojung. I was curious as to how I was only able to notice her just now. She must've been in multiple films I've seen, even with her having a small role I would've notice by now. What about her sticks out so much?

 

(The Next Day)

 

Soojung's POV:

 

"Yah! Soojung!" I heard a elongated yell from down the hallway of the house. Waking me from my death like sleep, I rolled over on my side groaning in drowsiness. "Go...away..."

"Soojung! Get up! You need to read this! Simple Jack posted up a new entry about your film!"

My eyes shot open, and without a second wasted I quickly stumbled out of bed. I slid down the hallway with my socks, causing me to stumble into my sister's room. I fell over onto the floor, landing face up. I groaned in pain as I fixed myself into her bed and next to her.

"Ouch, are you okay..?" Jessica looked at me with worried eyes. I waved it off, brushing my hair from my face with the tips of my fingers. "What about Simple Jack?" I questioned.

 

Her eyes glanced back towards her laptop screen, "Oh yeah, whoever they are, they posted up a critique about your film. It's been up since last night." Her fingers trailed towards the title of the post, Certainly Uncertain.

 

A bit harsh, huh?

 

The article was read as followed:

 

Certainly Uncertain

 

Generic. Predictable. And utterly bland.

In the newly directed movie, Uncertain, movie production most definitely seemed to have pulled strings to get this thing to be premiered into movie theaters. Truly uncertain as to surprise the audience with their play by play scenes or to allow them to guess for themselves. Upon being recommended this film by several movie goers, a sense of interest sparked when the mention of tragedy was brought up.

Spoiler Alert. Although, with the plot being as predictable as it is, I'm not sure it's really much of a spoiler.

The audience follows main character, Hannah, on her journey to experience several cultures in the world before her untimely death approaches. With that, almost every action done by any character was almost guess correctly prior to it happening. Basically, as if the director and cast wanted to predict their every move.

 

Now, don't get me wrong. The movie is worth a watch, only if you have a soft spot for love and Nicholas Sparks books. Although, I was quite surprised on how many paying patrons left the theatre with watery eyes. Hannah's death was inevitable. It wasn't as if they would've magically created a cure for her disease. But don't let me defer you from going to see it! The only reason as to why I could put up with the screen time was the main character herself. The fluidity and emotion the actress, Krystal Jung, had implemented in her character showed true poise. She performed so well, that it was more than a shame she was casted in such a dry film. I'd love to see more productions with her, and for her to continue to blow me away.

 

In an overall rating (with some leniency), I'd rate Uncertain a solid 3.2 stars out of 5.

 

Simple Jack.

 

As my eyes found its way down to the ending sentence, my mind began to filter the words of the article down. Only being able to understand the output of how idolized I was by this guy.

"Crazy, how a small time blogger is one of the most biggest influences on the film industry." Jessica scoffed as she tilted her head towards my direction.

 

Simple Jack. A name that is abundantly said throughout the subject of film. There isn't one actor, actress, director, producer, or staff amongst the film industry whom haven't heard of him. Unknowing to who exactly hid behind the screen name, his film critiques causes a large impact on our audiences. Being funded by Seoul's City Post, even the company isn't too sure as to who runs his blog. Loved by some, and feared by others. His influence towards our audience proves how powerful the online world can be. Last year, he'd written an ill tasted review on the movie Quick, resulting in the production agency to lose most of its profits and go into bankruptcy. He has the power to rid the panels of actors and actress with the click of of a "Post" button. This guy is absolutely no joke.

 

"For all we know, he's probably just a kid who's way too spoiled by his parents." Jessica closed her laptop and set it on the surface of her nightstand. She turned towards me, laying back down into the comfort of her sheets and groaned.

"Don't let that review get to you, at least he said you performed extremely well, Soojung. We'll just see how the inbox profits total up to in the end."

 

My mind didn't really process the factor of what Simple Jack had said about the plot. I was more attentive to the fact he loved my acting skill. As much as I liked the actual ideal plot of the film, what he said was partially correct. A sloth could probably predict the next move for every character. That I could definitely agree on, but the staff and director put so much effort into this movie.

 

"Mr. Choi is definitely not gonna like this. The least Simple Jack could've done was put his review into a slightly nicer way. If only he knew how hard the staff worked on this film." I pouted my lip and crossed my arms.

 

As much as his snobbish review was sky rocketing through the Internet, my curiosity peaked more and more by this mysterious assailant.

 

Who are you, Simple Jack?


Let me know what you guys think in the comments section! I'd love to hear some feedback.

Sora.