Chapter 1

The Changing Tune

 

 

She spun in her place, a checklist in hand. Her eyes were busy scanning all the containers of new batch flowers that came that morning. She checked each of it thoroughly, making sure the amount matched the numbers written in the list. While on it, she also made the time to inspect the flowers so none of it was spoiled.

After ensuring that everything was right, she approached the man waiting by the corner of her shop. There, she had arranged four small tables and some chairs for the customers so they could wait comfortably while their orders were made.

“I’m sorry, Ahjussi, did I make you wait too long again today?”

She smiled, taking a seat in the available chair across him.

He chuckled at her remark, waving his hand in the air.

“Well, it’s not like this is the first time. I always heard from the boys that you are always meticulous.”

The old man was in his fifties, the owner of the flower farm where she got the supply for her shop. He didn’t come all the time though. Usually, it would be one of his workers who did the delivery, but he tagged along at times when he had some business around the city.

She handed him the document she had stamped earlier. They were renewing their contract for the next six months that day. That was the reason he personally turned up that day. He never left such important matter to his worker.

“As usual, I will transfer the fee to your account.”

He took a look at the document for the last time before nodding in approval.

“Alright, then I’ll take my leave. I still have to stop by the other places.”

They stood up together and she escorted him to the parking lot where the driver was waiting inside the truck.

“Tell me if you have any complaints,” he told her.

That was one of the reason she liked doing the business with him, always the friendly one and open-minded enough to listen to his customer’s review.

“Yes, Ahjussi, I definitely will.”

He hop into the vehicle and she bid him goodbye cheerfully before going back inside the shop.

The three full timer of the shop were busy transferring the fresh stock of flowers into the buckets filled with water when she got in.

It was her fourth year since she started the business and things were getting more stable and bright. The shop was getting more well known as a result of its social media advertisement. They had their loyal customers and partnership with some other business lines like wedding organizer and restaurants. Starting from last year, they were able to land a spot in one of the busiest street in Seoul that did nothing but good thing to their sells.

She ran the store with the help of two female employees and three male employees. Each of them had their own role. The female ones, Seungwan and Jiyeon, stayed in the store along her. Their ultimate responsibilities were working on the orders and taking care of the store supplies; tending the flower stocks and all the equipments needed. For the last ones, they also got the help from Sungjae, the only full timer amongst the male employees. He mostly did the hard works that required more physical force.

The store offered a delivery service as a part of their marketing strategy. The male employees took charge of that, Sungjae and a boy named Taehyung. He was a part-timer juggling to make ends meet while trying to finish college. While the last one, Myungsoo, was in charge of the marketing. He managed the website and social media, also helped her to develop creative ideas of new services they could offer for the new year or season. He came in three days in a week, but he basically worked all week long since he could do his job just anywhere he wanted.

“Seungwan-ah, have you changed the water for the lavender?” she asked the curly haired girl who was in the middle of cutting the stems of some roses.

“Yes, I have, Boss.”

The said girl answered in a perfect American accent. She was obsessed with idea of liberated western countries and had said that one day she would visit one of them, so that was why the English. She had been learning the language for one year and intended to practice her speaking every chance she got.

“What about the preservative?”

“I did it, Boss.”

Kim Jiyeon, a cheerful petite girl with a ponytail, was the one who gave her the answer this time. Her bangs fell right above her eyes that curved like a half moon whenever she smiled.

“Thank you so much, Girls. I don’t know how I would survive without you.”

She was pretending to be dramatic, but there was no lie in it.

“I guess you can live without me then, Boss?”

Sungjae spoke in mischief, making her smile to his direction.

“Of course not, I would have no one to order around if you are not here.”

The girls cracked laughing, gleefully embracing any opportunity to tease their co-worker. The boy sulked foully at them, intentionally pouting his mouth a few inch forward.

.

 

He rushed around the parking lot, locating his grey Chevrolet by the sound that came out after he pressed the remote key. He had messed up his own plan. He was supposed to be at his mother’s at lunch, but it had passed the time by an hour.

This would gain him a good amount of lecture, he thought as he started to drive off. The old lady had been complaining since he hadn’t visit in three weeks while it didn’t even take him thirty minutes to drive there. And this time, he was late to her birthday lunch. Just great!

He glanced to the passenger’s seat and wished the gift would help to spare him. It would be a lot of trouble if his mother got upset. For all the love and respect he had for his own mother, but she could be really cunning sometimes, he wasn’t exaggerating.

He had put his phone on the dashboard and his sister’s message popped up when he was about to steer out of his apartment complex.

The main course has been served. You know you’re doomed, right?

He read, noting the devil emoticon by the end of the text.

As expected of his sweet little sister, always the supportive one.

It was the first Sunday of that year’s spring season. People were out in the street, crowding the lane as they gathered to enjoy the nice weather and the spring flowers that had bloomed. He lived near one of the busiest street in the city where row of business places lined up, making it was hard for him to speed up. 

He drove carefully, stopping at one point to let a bunch of people to cross the street. He looked around as he waited and that was when his eyes caught the classic signboard.

Atelier Flower Shop.

His mother was never the passionate one about flowers but she definitely appreciated being fancied in front of others.

He parked the car nearby and went inside the store. A bell shaped wind-chime tinkled as he open the door and the spring breeze blew inside.

“Welcome. May I help you?”

A boy in his 20s with a tall build stood before him in his washed out jeans, checkered shirt and brown apron. A friendly smile plastered in his face.

“What is your best flower arrangement for a birthday?”

The boy moved fast taking something from the table and walked in a big step toward him.

“We do have some option here,” he motioned and handed him a booklet, “but most of the time, people use the receiver’s favorite flowers and we’ll make the arrangement based on it.”

Joongki scanned over the room, trying to recall if his mother ever said anything about flower. He found nothing though.

The frowning look on his face made the boy smile. Two years of working experience was enough for him to gain an ability to read the customer.

“I will bring our owner from the office, you can consult her for a good choice of flowers or other details. For now, please take a seat.”

He sat down on one of the chairs that faced the inside part of the store. He was no expert but at least he could tell that they have fresh stock of flowers which meant great.

The boy left after making sure that he was comfortable.

They have a good service too, he thought.

“Chaewon Noona!”

He could hear the boy yelled as he started to scrutinize over the booklet. The thirty something paged thing displayed several pictures of different types of flower design and arrangement. Next to every picture was a list of consisting items that arranged it and the pricelist. He was considering whether to just get the priciest one what when a voice spoke to him.

“Hello, may I help you?”

His eyes met a pair of brown ones when he lifted his head up. A face he just saw this morning appeared before him. An amused smile broke in his face.

“O, we meet again,” he declared.

The woman smiled back at him, walking forward to take the seat across of him.  

“I guess you are fine now.”

“Yes, thanks to you.”

A coma pause fell between them as they sat in front of each other, smiling a little bit more.

“Now, how do I help you?”

Her question brought him back to reality, reminded him that a hard time was waiting for him at the moment. He leaned forward, putting his feet together.

“Oh, yes, I want to get a flower bouquet for a birthday present. I talked with your employee and the thing is I don’t know her favorite flower. So, I need a help on that.”

The woman smiled at him in a sympathetic way, drawing both her hands together.

“Usually, women love roses, but there are also people who are not really fond of roses. You can try describing her personality and we’ll find flowers with some meaning that suit her look on life or even better, the message you want to convey to her. So, if she says something about not liking your choice of flowers, you can make up with the excuse that you choose it because of the meaning behind it.”

She paused, looking at him with a playful glint in her eyes as he found his self chuckling at her last sentence.

“Also, we can use her favorite color,” she added.

He nodded at the end of her sentence, thinking on how to describe his mother the way she had asked. After a moment of struggle, he succeeded on the quest, telling her to highlight on the gratitude and appreciation.

“I know her favorite color, it’s purple.”

She looked genuinely pleased when he said that, turning in her seat in almost in too energetic manner.

“Oh, we happen to have the purple lavender stock. Great.”

The male employee who welcomed him earlier stood up readily as she started to move, picking flowers from the silver buckets lining up. He watched as she took a few pink flowers that looked like roses but were smaller in size. That was the only kind he barely recognized. The next things he could only make up by their colors; a blue one, something yellow, white and another pink one.

“Sungjae-ah, bring over some leather leaves, please.”

Carefully, she started by cutting the flower stems and leaves before putting it together and wrapping the floral tape around the stems. She finished it by adding tulle ribbon on top of the wrapping paper, and the beautiful bouquet was ready.

He glanced at his wristwatch and rushed to pay.

“Thank you so much for your help. It’s been nice meeting you,” he said the last time before sprinting out the shop.

.

 

They strolled inside the house after sending the last guest off.

“I can’t believe mother actually let you off over a bouquet of flower,” the girl said.

She was no taller than 5 feet, so he easily put his hand over her head, pressing it down.

“Of course she would, she loves me the most, remember it, Kiddo.”

He got his hand slapped away and his leg kicked.

“Stop doing that! I’m not growing any taller because of you, you jerk!”

“Jerk?!”

They were eleven years apart, she turned nineteen by the beginning of the year and he would be thirty by the next month. But, whenever they were together, it always felt like both were eleven years old doing silly fight. Just like how he gave her a headlock, and she bit his arm to break free.

“Ya! Ya! Stop both of you!” Their mother shouted. “If you keep doing that, no one will want to marry your brother. Women these days are so picky, if they find the in laws burdensome, they won’t come into the household.”

The girl rolled her eyes; there their mother went again.

“He started it first!” She complained.

But, the older woman shot her a displease look and she shut up immediately, throwing her self on the couch, grumbling at how she was always the one who got the blame.

“Joongki-ah, come here.”

He thought he was saved for the day after his mother merrily accepted the bouquet and a new designer bag as a present. The tone he just heard told him different.

Reluctantly, he edged closer to her.

“Do you remember Mrs. Choi? The woman who went to the same golf club as me?”

Uh-oh, he was in a trouble. His sister emphasized it even more by rising up from her slump position in a swift, sending him a wicked look.

“Her daughter just got back from studying in Australia. She was three years younger than you and she was starting her own cosmetic business right now. I went through a hard time setting it up, so clear your schedule on Sunday afternoon, okay? She’s pretty, smart and comes from a respectable family. It’s really hard to find girl like her, you know. So, you have to come, alright?”

It was not the first or the second time his mother did something without consulting him beforehand. He had gotten used to it. If he objected, she would start ranting at how he didn’t understand her good intention and brought up all the small things he did that upset her. He would end up going because of that.

“Alright, Mom, just text me the address later. Anyway, I need to go now, have to get to the office earlier tomorrow.”

.

 

For the last three years, his mother had been bugging him to get married. She went around setting blind dates and matchmaking for him. She was feeling old and wanted a grandchild, but not just from anyone. If he wanted a marriage that was blessed by her, the woman must come from a respectable and rich family. She was his mother, but he could admit that her way of judging and categorizing people was often superficial.

He had lost count of how many times he had attended such rendezvous. People might view him as such obedient son, but really not. He might agree to come, but in the end he never agreed to any further contact or relationship. But, it was a bit disturbing this time, because he probably had used all the reason existed to tell his mother on why he didn’t match the girl again.

I feel like getting some beer.

He stopped by the sidewalk, in front of a twenty four hour convenient store. Turning off the engine, he got out and walked inside the store. The employee greeted him loudly as he went over the display refrigerator and took two cans of cold beer. He looked over and grabbed a package of dried squid.

The cashier was calculating his purchase when he realized that his wallet was nowhere to be found. He usually put it inside the back pocket, but it was not there.

“Please wait a minute, I think I left my wallet in the car,” he told the young guy and went back to his car.

He searched every crook of the vehicle, but still couldn’t find it.

“Mom,” he said as soon as the call connected, “I think I left my wallet there. Could you see it around? It’s the brown one.”

His mother told him to hang up as she tried to look for it. A few minutes later, his sister called back and said they couldn’t find it.

“Maybe I left it at my place. I’ll call again later.”

He went back inside the store and apologized to the cashier because he had to cancel the purchase.

He the engine and thought he probably left it on his desk.

Wait, I bought a flower bouquet though.

He parked his car again and took his phone, looking it up on the internet for the phone number of the flower shop he went earlier. It was a relief he remembered the name of the flower shop.

It was easy. In a matter of seconds, he found the number and gave it a call.

The watch on his wrist showed it was two minutes before ten. He clutched the wheel hard, hoping they hadn’t closed yet.

His call was picked up after the fourth ring.

“Hello, Atelier Flower Shop, may I help you?”

“Hello, I purchased a flower bouquet from your shop earlier around two o’clock and I think I left my wallet there. It’s a brown colored leather wallet. Do you happen to see it around?”

“Oh! Yes, yes, our owner found it on the cashier table just a moment after you went out. She tried to chase after you but it seems like you were really in a hurry.”

Joongki breathed a relief. If he really lost it, it would be really troublesome to apply for all the important stuff like the identity card and driving license.

“Thank you so much for keeping it. Is it okay if I take it now? I’m about fifteen minutes away. Are you guys closed?”

He heard a noise and hushed talk. The girl who accepted his call was talking to someone.

“Actually we just closed the shop by now, but one of us will wait for you.”

“I’m really sorry. I’ll try to get there as fast as possible.”

“Yes, no worries. Please drive carefully.”

.

 

He tried to speed up but it was weekend and people were still out on the street. When he arrived, he ran out of his car at the apologetic feeling of holding someone back. The shop was closed and dark when he got there, and the woman he met on the train was standing in front of it.

He bowed and she smiled.

She reached inside her bag and pulled out the small folder.

“There you go,” she said.

He received it and smiled back to her gratefully.

“Thank you so much,” he bowed again, “I don’t know how much trouble I should go through if I really lost this.”

“You should check if anything is missing. The kids opened it earlier trying to find your contact-not that they would steal anything, and I stopped them-but just to make sure if something fell out while they were on it.”

He chuckled at her remarks, at her affectionate way of calling her employees.

“Nah, that’s okay. If anything does missing, I can go back here again later anyway.”

He glanced around.

“Are you going back now?”

She bobbed her head to it.

“Do you drive or…?”

“Oh, I’m taking the bus.”

It was his turn to nod.

“Okay, then. Once again, thank you so much. Now that I think about it, I’ve received your help three times in the span of less than twenty four hours.”

She shook her head, waving her hands to deny.

“It’s not a big deal though.”

“Still, thank you so much.”

They smiled and bowed to each other again before parting their ways. She went to the left and him to the right. A few steps from the last spot they stood before, he stopped, turning his feet and went after her direction. She hadn’t gotten far and was waiting to cross the street when he grabbed her arm.

“Hey, let me give you a ride.”

She looked at him wide eyed, startled.

“Oh, no, it’s okay. I can just take the bus.”

“No, I want to drive you home. Please? That’s the least I can do after getting all your help.”

He knew she was deliberating as she stared at him in silence.

“I’m not a bad person. My name is Song Joongki, you can note down my plate numbers and report me to the police if I try anything funny.”

It made her broke into a wide smile.

“It’s a bit far though?”

“That’s not even a problem. Shall we go? My car is over there.”

“Okay.”

They walked side by side, passing through a bunch of people who just went out to go clubbing or drinking.

“I’ve told you my name. What’s yours?” he asked.

She held a smile.

“I’m Moon Chaewon,” she told him.

He grinned, nodding for an unknown reason.

“Nice to meet you, Moon Chaewon-ssi.”

“Nice to meet you, Song Joongki-sii.”

.

 

 

 

 

Author's note :

I'm really sorry for the late update. It's been a roller coaster ride for me for the past month. I went to unexpected business trip and when I got back home, I had to send off a family member through a funeral. And to complete it all, I broke up with my boyfriend of two years just two weeks ago. I'm not trying to gain sympathy here, because I believe everything I went through is something that could happen to everyone. I'm telling you guys just so you won't hate me too much for not being able to update lol.

Anyway, here's the update. I look forward to see your thoughts and comments about the story. Thank you so much.