Part 1

The Academy
Maybe this wasn't a good idea.
 
The cold night breeze brushed against my skin and wiped my hair lightly across my face.
 
It was dark and quiet. Only the sound of the trees swaying aginst the wind could be heard. Every sound made me more anxious. This was definitely  not a good idea.
 
If I wasn't so upset I would have turned back around, but swallowing my pride and letting things go wasn't my strongest suit.
 
You got your rotten temper from your no good father. That's what omma always says whenever I did anything rebutting her treatment. Apparently, everything awful about me I got from my dad. My temper. My puffy hair whenever water reached it. My less than white skin color.
 
I didn't know my dad. He was an American soldier who was stationed in South Korea. That is all I knew about him. Omma never told me anything else about him, but he wasn't there when I was born and I never meet him. I didn't even know his name. The surname I was given was my omma's. Park So Ri. That was my name. Very Korean, despite my appearance.
 
People always ask me for my real name when I told them my name, usually after they got over their shock that I spoke fluent Korean. I was a foreigner to them despite me living in Korean for the entire sixteen years of my life.
 
Wham! In a mere second, I was looking up to the dark sky, something heavy on me and a wet thing repeated hitting my face.
 
"Morri!" A voice shouted not far away.
 
A huge dog was on top of me, fur white in the moonlight. I laughed lowly as it continued to repeatedly my face.
 
A few second later, it was tugged from off me and my view was replaced by a handsome face glowing in the moonlight.
 
"Are you ok?" He spoke.
 
I tried leaned up and seeing my attempt the boy placed a hand on my shoulder probably trying to help me rise, but naturally I flinched away from his touch. Seeing my reaction, he quickly retract his hand.
 
I nodded and using my own strength, stood up. The boy quickly moved from a kneel to a stance and I was taken aback by his height. I had to look up slightly to see his face, as I could only see his chest if I looked forward.
 
I stood there. Not daring to speak. He was staring at me and although I stared up at him, I dared not meet his eye.
 
He said something in another language. I would guess English, but due to my awful background in the language, I didn't understand what he said.
 
I didn't want to seem rude, so I quickly mentioned in Korean, "I don't understand English."
 
And then I saw it. The expression that I saw thousand times before. Even if it was dark out, it was still illuminated enough for him to recognize that I did not look like the typical Korean girl. He thought I was a foreigner.
 
"Ohh." He mentioned after his short reaction. "I'm sorry about the dog." He followed in Korean.
 
"It's ok." I murmured, looking down at the dog.
 
He was cutely wagging it tail and panting heavily with its tongue hanging outside its mouth.
 
I hesitantly  reached down to pat his head. He seems to like that since he tried to my hand  that was touching its head repeatedly.
 
"He likes you." The boy mentioned.
 
I didn't respond, not knowing what to say so I continued to pat the dog's head.
 
"I'm Namjoon." He held out his hand.
 
I looked up and slowly reached out to meet his hand. "Park So Ri." I said slowly, bowing slightly forward as I shook his hand.
 
He smiled down at me, and I quickly let go of his hand.
 
"Are you lost?" He spoke again.
 
"No," I answered quickly. Then slowly added, "I was just taking a walk around the neighborhood."
 
"With a backpack?" He eyed the heavy bag on my back.
 
. I rushed my brain to come up with a good excuse. I wasn't fast enough because the next second he asked, "Are you running away?"
 
I closed my eyes and looked away. Not knowing why I am even admitting this to him, I said in my naturally soft voice " I need to get away for some time."
 
He said nothing for a minute or so and I didn't look up at him to see his expression.
 
"Do you have someone picking you up?" He asked.
 
I shook my head. This is why this was a bad idea. I had nowhere to go. I was thinking that maybe I could slerp on the bus or train for the night. But I couldn't spend the night in that house. I was scared of what I might do. I was afraid that I might intentional cut too deep this time and end it all. I wanted to end it all. I was still considering it, but I still haven't made up my mind yet.
 
"Look. I know I am some stranger but I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you." He declared.
 
I said nothing, still looking at the ground and fidgeting with my fingers.
 
"You're welcome to stay the night at my place if you want."
 
I was both shock and curious about his proposal. This boy hardly knew lme, for what he knew I could have been lying to him all this time. But more importantly, I didn't know him. I have heard stories of boys taking advantages of girls. I know that it wasn't smart to trust a guy I just met.
 
Probably seeing my hesitation. He added, "I swear I won't try anything." 
 
I found the courage to speak up, "You hardly know me. I could be a serial killer for all you know. "
 
He laughed." You don't look like a serial killer to me. "
 
"Neither do you. Most serial killers don't tend to look like it."
 
"Did you just accuse me of maybe being a serial killer?" He drew back.
 
"Maybe. I don't really know you."
 
"Well, maybe you should get to know me." He wiggled his eyebrows at me in a suggestive way, and I took that as my cue to withdraw back into my shell. I didn't like being familiar with people. It made things too complicated;too personal. You begin expecting things from the other person and get hurt when they can't meet your expectations. Maybe that is why I had no friends.
 
"I'm sorry." He said noticing my change.
 
"That was inappropriate." He rubbed the back of his neck.
 
"It's ok." I chose to look down and saw Morri looking up at me.
 
"Do you want me to walk you back home?" He offered.
 
 
"No." I answered immediately and tersely.
 
"Do you plan on even going back home?"
 
I hesitated. Was I planning to go back home? I didn't even know.
 
"It doesn't really matter to you right?" I asked. I mean he only met me about 10 minutes ago.
 
I hope he wasn't hurt by my statement because it was true. But I considered that maybe he was one of those people who were naturally caring towards other people; even people they hardly new. I never understood those kind of people.
 
"Right." He said. "I don't really know you, so..."
 
He didn't walk away.  So I did after bowing slightly. But then he called out, "So Ri"
 
I stopped, looking back. He ran over to me.
 
"Do you have a pen?" He asked.
 
Really? He was asking if I had a pen. After a mere second of surprise, I turned my bag around to search for a pen.
 
Gripping one, I held it out to him. He then grasped my arm to his and began writing in my palm. When he was finished he released my hand and handed back my pen.
 
"If you need anything call me." Then walked away. Morri lapping behind him.