Diamond in the Rough

Diamond in the Rough - Yongguk

Vibrant colors morphed the azure sky into a sight to be seen, the warm temperature dipping slightly while the sun made its descent. Pulling open the door to the Biology Laboratory building, Yongguk stepped inside and navigated through the narrow hallways to find his room that he was scheduled to be in.

Yongguk’s eyes watched as the room numbers neared the designated room, his heart began to thump against his rib cage. Turning into the room, the door was propped open, black topped lab tables were neatly lined in rows as two people sat in their seats happily chatting to one another.

Yongguk’s eyes moved towards the board as he saw the seating assignments, finding his name he located his seat. Turning around, he saw that the two people that were happily conversing with one another was his group mates. Keeping an open mind, he headed back to his seat, lifting his backpack off of his shoulders and laying it on the tabletop.

“Oh Yongguk? You are in this class?” Daehyun questioned, seeing his friend on the other side of you.

“I guess so” Yongguk smiled brightly, happy to see a familiar face. Leaning over, he gave Daehyun a high five before his eyes shifted over to you.

“Yongguk, this is my friend _______” Daehyun introduced as you smiled and bowed to him.

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Daehyun has said nothing but good things about you” You complimented, causing Daehyun’s cheeks to turn a darker shade of pink than normal.

“Thank you, the pleasure it mine” Yongguk bowed back as you nodded and turned back to Daehyun to finish your conversation as other students filed into the room.

Yongguk scanned the incoming students, getting a feel for the class as well as the atmosphere. However, he found himself tuning into your conversation whenever you spoke. A few minutes later, the teacher started the lab, taking a quiz at the start of class then diving into the material before letting the class loose to do the assignment.

Yongguk watched you carefully, seeing how you interacted with Daehyun as well as observing your lab skills. Writing down the answers to the lab questions with such insight, Yongguk awed at the beauty that sat before him.

Time seemed to fly faster than normal in that block of time, watching how your hair framed your face, how your spunky yet independent nature seemed to shine through all of your actions. How you loved adventure and how you were just different from any of the other girls he has interacted with before.

“Would either of you like a ride?” You questioned Daehyun and Yongguk as you stood up, lifting your backpack up onto your shoulders.

“I would like a ride” Daehyun raised his hand shyly, “If that is okay”

“Totally okay” You smiled and nodded, reaffirming your answer, “What about you, Yongguk?”

“I have a few things to finish up in the library before I head home for the night” Yongguk slipped his hands into his pockets as you nodded and the three of you filed out of the room.

Yongguk lagged behind the two of you, a new conversation started between the two of you as he watched you mostly, seeing how you replied to his humor and questions Daehyun posed. Daehyun held open the doors for everyone as Yongguk let you out first before following behind.

“Are you sure you don’t want a ride?” Daehyun turned slightly, the question directed towards Yongguk.

“I’m sure, I will see you two later” Yongguk split of from you and Daehyun as he headed towards the library. Yongguk’s thoughts occupied of you, his heart beating slightly faster once he looked over his shoulder and back at you.

Leading Daehyun towards your truck, you smiled as you unlocked it, looking over at him as you loved to see everyone’s reactions to your ride.

“Y-You drive this?” Daehyun stammered, not seeing a girl drive a truck before.

“Yeah, this is mine” You smiled proudly as you climbed up into the truck, sliding the key into the ignition.

Daehyun pulled the seat belt over himself before you backed your truck from the parking spot and expertly maneuvered the truck through the tight spaces of the parking lot. Heading out of the parking lot, Daehyun gave you directions to the dorm he was staying in as the two of you talked some more. Laughing happily together, you pulled up in front of his dorm as he thanked you for the ride and bid you a good night. Wishing him a good night as well, you made sure he got in safely before you headed home yourself.

Over the next few months, Yongguk couldn’t get his mind off of you, the way that you opened up a little more every time in lab, letting your beautiful personality shine. With so many twists and turns in your personality, you definitely didn’t fit the “typical girl” mold. Yet he tried to keep it hidden, not wanting to ruin his reputation by liking a “tomboy”, yet there was something about you that attracted him to you.

Learning more and more about you, he picked up on a little science as well, listening and learning, he observed more than just the labs. Asking you questions here and there, the two of you started to build a friendship, one where the two of you would smile and laugh together.

“Would you like a ride today?” You questioned Daehyun and Yongguk, just like you would any other class period.

“I would love one as always” Daehyun smiled and grabbed his backpack as you turned your attention to Yongguk.

“Would you like a ride too?” You offered, Yongguk looked up into your eyes, he paused looking into yours. You knew that he was thinking on your offer.

“Sure, why not?!” Yongguk smiled slightly shy as the three of you walked towards your truck.

Once Yongguk caught a glimpse of your truck, you watched his jaw drop slightly as you unlocked the vehicle and slid behind the wheel. The guys found their seats and buckled themselves in, driving to their dorm, you dropped them off and wished them a good night, like always.

This continued for a few weeks, Yongguk accepting your ride offers and the three of you going home happily. 

“Can you drop me off at a friend’s house? We have to work on a project” Daehyun turned to look at you once you buckled yourself in as well.

“Of course. Just tell me where to go” You giggled as you maneuvered your truck through the parking lot once more.

Following Daehyun’s directions, you pulled up in front of the dorms and made sure that he got in the doors before your eyes lifted to the rear view mirror, catching a glimpse of Yongguk.

“Are we headed back to your place?” You asked just to make sure.

“Mhmmm” Yongguk hummed, your eyes stayed on his reflection a moment later.

Thinking to yourself that he usually wasn’t this quiet, you returned your eyes to the road as you turned up the radio a little bit to hear his voice come from behind you. A smile happily curled on your lips as you began to sing with him, harmonizing with his voice.

With the song halfway over, the two of you finished the song off strong before turning down the radio a few notches. Glancing back at his reflection, you could tell that something was up but you didn’t want to point it out.

Yongguk cleared his throat lightly, “Do you mind if I say something?”

“Go right ahead” You glanced back at him while you continued to guide your truck over the twists and turns in the road.

“You… you have magical powers” Yongguk confessed

“I do?” You questioned, not knowing if you understood

“You do, you do something to me, you make my heart beat quickly, my breath escapes my lungs when you smile. The way you look at life, your personality, just the way you are is nothing less than magical.” Yongguk played with his hands that are in his lap.

“Thank you Yongguk, that is super sweet of you to say. You are quite magical too” You smiled while glancing back at him.

“Your differences make you perfect, you are so different from other girls that it just makes me… it makes me want to get to know you more. You are so intriguing and mysterious but fun and exciting all wrapped up in a beautiful package.” Yongguk took a deep breath and released it slightly, “I like you, _______. I am myself when I am around you, I’ve had a hard time being myself around girls, but somehow you make it so easy.”

Pulling in front of the dorm, where he lived, he leaned forward, his hand resting on your shoulder.

“Thank you for the ride once again” Yongguk whispered almost lovingly as his hand slipped from your shoulder. Grabbing his bag, he closed your door and headed out towards his dorm.

Stopping midway between your truck and the dorm, he turned around and waved at you, a bright smile outfitting his lips. Waving back, he turned around and headed inside. Pulling away from the dorm, you pressed a hand against your chest feeling your heart pounding against your ribs. Thoughts ran in and out of your mind faster than you could process them.

“Someone actually likes me” You whispered under your breath, appalled that someone actually liked you for you, after all of these years. After all of the people that put you down, saying how you were too different but now someone likes you for who you are.

To you that meant the world