Just A Story

Lost Girl
**CAUTION THERE IS MILD ABUSE IN THE FIRST CHAPTER DO NOT READ IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THIS STUFF**
 
“YOU’RE WORTHLESS!” I was screamed at by my mother. I was an only child with nobody to protect me. My father left my terrible mother on my 3rd birthday. I live in a small house with my mother in a run-down town outside a big city. “You’re the reason Henry left, you useless creature.” She told me. Henry, my father, was a real-estate agent. He was good at his job. Mother on the other hand, stayed at home and worked in her room. I don’t know what she did but she had many clients, male clients. I assumed she was a therapist or something. “I wish I never had you.” She said in a low voice. Her right hand raised up and flew down, slapping me harshly across my pale left cheek. Her nails were long and left scratches on my cheek that bled profusely. Once she was done with me she left the room. I ran to my bathroom and put a wet towel to my bleeding cheek. I looked in my foggy and cracked bathroom mirror. I looked into my big dark brown eyes, my tear-stained cheeks, my pink lips that were cut, my nose which had a bruise near it. I was broken. I’m 14 years old, soon to be 15, and never have I ever had a friend. I was too afraid of what my mother would do. Once the bleeding stopped I walked back to my room. The white walls, white carpet stained with crimson and other colors, one big window to look outside, my single small bed, my dresser, and my desk with a lamp and torn paper and broken pencils. Mother got mad at me for writing music and drawing. I can’t help it though. I love to do it. I ran a hand through my long raven hair and dressed for bed. I changed into a black oversized sweater, black shorts, and white socks. Before I went to bed I grabbed a book from under my dresser. I hid it from my mother. I ran my hand over the green cover. “Peter Pan” it read in bold yellow letters. I remember reading this as a child. It’s still my favorite book. It spoke of a utopia named Neverland where you never grow up. There were fairies, pirates, mermaids, indians, and a group of boys called The Lost Boys ran by a boy called Peter Pan and his fairy Tinker Bell. As I child I believed that Neverland was real. I dreamed of what it would be like if I could fly there and be a part of the gang. As I grew up I gave up on those dreams. Neverland was a fictional place after all. Peter Pan was just a boy in a fairy tale. I walked to my bed and got under the blankets. I opened up the old book and began to read. Somewhere towards the end I fell asleep. I woke up with the sun shining into my room. The house was silent so mother must be out. Today was my 15th birthday. I got out of bed and stretched. I looked out the window and saw green. We lived on the outside of a big city. We didn’t have neighbors either. I stared out at green fields of grass and rolling hills. I looked at the blue sky. No clouds in sight and the sun shone brightly in the sky. I smiled to myself and I walked to the kitchen. I checked the refrigerator and saw that there was no food, only alcohol. I sighed and closed the fridge door. I walked back to my room and went to my desk. I picked up the torn papers and threw them away. I sharpened my pencils and got more papers out. I looked over at my book sitting on my bed and got an idea. 

 

 
There was a time when I was alone
Nowhere to go and no place to call home
My only friend was the man in the moon
And even sometimes he would go away, too

Then one night, as I closed my eyes
I saw a shadow flying high
He came to me with the sweetest smile
Told me he wanted to talk for awhile
He said, "Peter Pan, that's what they call me
I promise that you'll never be lonely, " and ever since that day

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy, " they say to me
Away from all of reality

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free

He sprinkled me in pixie dust and told me to believe
Believe in him and believe in me
Together we will fly away in a cloud of green
To your beautiful destiny
As we soared above the town that never loved me
I realized I finally had a family
Soon enough we reached Neverland
Peacefully my feet hit the sand
And ever since that day

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy, " they say to me
Away from all of reality

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free

Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, Wendy Darling
Even Captain Hook, you are my perfect story book
Neverland, I love you so
You are now my home sweet home
Forever a lost boy at last

Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, Wendy Darling
Even Captain Hook, you are my perfect story book
Neverland, I love you so
You are now my home sweet home
Forever a lost boy at last

And for always I will say

I am a lost boy from Neverland
Usually hanging out with Peter Pan
And when we're bored we play in the woods
Always on the run from Captain Hook
"Run, run, lost boy, " they say to me
Away from all of reality

Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free
Neverland is home to lost boys like me
And lost boys like me are free

I finished the song and heard the door slam open. I hid the finished song in my dresser and hid my book as well. “MINOH! WHERE ARE YOU!” I heard my mother yell. “In my room mother…” I responded. She entered my room, the smell of beer following her. “What have you been doing?!” She yelled. “Cleaning mother.” I lied. She glared at me and stumbled to her room. Not even a “Happy Birthday”. A tear streamed down my cheek. I can’t take this anymore. I can’t! I waited till I heard snores from her room. I ran to my bathroom mirror and wrapped my hand in an old shirt. I punched the mirror making it shatter. She’s too drunk and asleep to hear me. I ran out of the bathroom and looked for a certain box. Once I found it I ran back to my bathroom. I read the instructions on the box and started water in the sink. An hour later my long black hair was brown. Yes it was hair color. My mother uses it from time to time. I grabbed a piece of shattered mirror and chopped off my hair till it was no longer mid back. It was now just above shoulder length. My hand was bloody from the broken mirror piece. Once I was done I ran out to my dresser and got a big bag. I packed some clothes and my book. Also my song and my toothbrush and hairbrush and toothpaste. I quietly stepped out of my room with my bag on my shoulder and walked to the kitchen. My mother keeps a safe in the kitchen and it’s filled with the money she makes from her job. I know the combination. I watch her every time she opens it. I turn the knob and heard a click. The door opened and I saw so much money. I grabbed all I could which was about $500. I need to save it all. I closed the safe door and ran out of the house. I squinted as I looked around. I can’t remember the last time I was outside. I saw the street and ran that way. I took one last glance at the house and started crying. I grew up in that small broken house. The sun shone on it and I could see the cracks. Physical and emotional. My father left 12 years ago today. My mom became drunk and abusive. Tears ran down my cheeks. “Goodbye.” I whispered as I turned around. I walked down the long asphalt road. No cars in sight. I left behind my home, my mother, my life. I walk this road to start a new.
 
 
((A/N: lyrics are not mine. credits to Ruth B. go listen to the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TBZnvyGwQ thank you!))