No Mountain Too High (Somi)

Dream Girls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By the time she was done for the day, Somi wasn't sure what time it was, just that the sun had long since dipped below the horizon and the hall was almost completely shrouded in darkness. It couldn't have reached ten yet because her mother hadn't called and Natty and Chaeryoung hadn't come to collect her for being late. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time but she preferred that it didn't happen because she didn't like making people worry about her. Maybe tonight, she'd actually get home in time to sit down and eat dinner with the family.

The sports centre had been much emptier today than it usually was on weekends, but she'd spotted a group of girls that were obviously first time climbers stuggling to make it passed the first mark. Although they obviously didn't have a knack for it, watching them struggle and laugh it off reminded her of when she first started climbing. A time when climbing had been fun and easy and there weren't new goals to reach around every corner.

For as long as she could remember, Somi had been a hyper child and more than anything, she'd loved to climb. She climbed everything, the furtinure inside the house, the trees in the yard (and one really stupid time when she'd climbed onto the roof of the jungle gym house during kindergarden. She'd fallen of course, but only suffered a minor sprain and was back to climbing things in a few weeks.) It was after that incident that her mother had singned her up for rock climbing or alpinist classes. Of course, it had been nothing on the scale of what she would climb now but it had been a start.

It was something that she'd never ever looked back on, from the very first time she'd gripped the synthetic rocks with chalk covered hands, all she'd wanted to do was to climb higher. So that's exactly what she did. She had moved onto the preteen wall by the time she was seven and by the time she turned eight, a personal trainer had taken interest in her achievements and offerred to train her so that she could be the best.

Needless to say, as a child who loved to go higher, being best sounded pretty good.

She continued to take the world of alpinism by storm, climbing through the ranks until she appeared in the news and people who were a part of the rock climbing community could recognise her when they passed her on the street.

It was around the time that she was thirteen years old that she begun to realise that she wanted to do something else. Although she loved to climb, it wasn't something that she could see herself doing for the rest of her life, and unless she became a trainer, she couldn't really make a career out of it either. 

Now, at fifteen years old, Somi knew what she wanted to do next, but she too afraid to speak her mind and tell her family and her friends. They were usually very supportive in everything that she decided to do, but she was scared that they'd laugh at her new dream. She knew that she needed to be completely sure herself before she made any moves towards making it a reality.

For now at least, she would stick to climbing while she turned the idea over in her head.

 it wasn't unusual for her to be here past closing hours, the owner having trusted her with the keys and made her promise to lock up when she left. She was pretty sure that the elderly woman saw her as part of her family, what with the amount of time she spent at the sports centre compared to the amount of time she spent at home.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter