Faithful Encounter

Series of Unfortunate Misunderstandings

In front of me sits a flight of stairs leading up to the entrance of main building. With a heavy sigh, I begin limping up the steps. This is my third week here and I just want to shoot myself everytime I confront the stairs. I feel the side of my ankle begin to ache again as I reach the top. My hands tightly grip the rails and I take a seat on the top step. I looked around for a familiar face, rubbing the sore spot through my ankle brace. At these time I regret choosing to come here.

From the corner of my eye, I spot Park Sungjin making his way up as well. up the pain, I hop back up to my feet and dash into the building. I realize I'm too late when I hear his voice calling my name.

"Yeonju!" 

I pretend as if I don't hear him and pick up my pace. When I reach my classroom, I immediately fall into my seat with a sigh. Faces turn to look at me with whispers following. Like every other time, they whisper about why I'm always running to class and why my ankle is the way it is. I've heard different things from here and there. Some say I fell off a building trying to climb into Sungjin's apartment. Others say I was chasing after him and fell. Some even go all the way to say I'm actually a drug dealer and got beat up. 

Honestly, I was running down the stairs because the elevator in my apartment complex was broken and ended up falling. I'm actually not that interesting. Although I'm the one constantly being folllowed by my ex boyfriend, everyone thinks it's me trying to get back with him. 

When Sungjin and I broke up, the girl he cheated on me with thought he would finally be hers. Instead when I found out, Sungjin just tried to come back to me. I refused his offer to make up but he didn't stop The girl, Misun, then decided that it would be in her best interest to ruin my life for some reason. Misun and I were rather good friends before the incident. In fact, it should be me who is angry. My friend and boyfriend went behind my back and dated. It didn't bother me because I was already planning on breaking up with Sungjin.

Misun started to spread weird rumors about me in our college facebook page so everyone knew about me even before the semester started. It's only been three weeks since school started and practically everyone hates me already.

I glance around at my classmates before pulling out my stuff for class. The noise quiets down as the teacher walks into the room and class starts. She looks as if she has something to say so all eyes were fixed on her.

"Now today," she starts, "We will have a new addition to our class. He's not new to this school, just to this class. You all probably know him already since I hear he is quite popular. Please give a warm welcome to Park Jaehyung."

In walks a lanky boy with his backpack slung over one of his shoulders. His blonde hair is tousled messily as if he had just woken up. A dumb grin plastered across his face as he takes long strides into the room.

"Hello everyone, the name is Park Jaehyung but you can just call me Jae. I'm a second year student. Please take care of me," he says simply, giving a ninety degree bow.

His eyes scan through the room for an empty seat. Other students also look around the room, wondering where he will sit. I try to avoid eye contact with him for I have empty seats on both sides. But unfortunately I notice him make his way towards me. He places his bag down next to the chair and looks at me.

"It's nice to meet you," his voice trails off as he realizes he does not know my name.

"Yeonjoo. Seo Yeonjoo. It's nice to meet you too, Jaehyung," I respond quietly.

"Ah yes, Yeonjoo. I hope we can get along."

"Me too."

--

Before I know it, word that the Park Jaehyung sits next to me has already spread across the school. Everywhere I go I receive dirty looks. Apparantly he is as popular as Mr. Han had stated.

A hand taps my shoulder as I move through the lunch line.

"Yeonjoo!" a familiar voice calls.

I turn around to see Jae, "Jae!"

"The friends I usually eat lunch with are going out today but I forgot to bring money. Is it ok if I sit with you today? I don't really talk to anyone else at school and I thought it would be good if we got to know each other."

"That's fine," I smile sheepishly at him.

Although it feels good to have someone ask to sit with me, I can't help but pity Jae. His good reputation might go down because of me. But just this one time I want to be selfish. Just one time.

Once again, I hear my name being called, "Yeon!"

The loud voice belongs to no one other than my best friend, Kim Yongsun. She dashes towards me, a face full of anger. As she reaches me and Jae, she shoved him aside.

"Who said you could bully Yeonjoo like that? Huh, huh?" she raises her already loud voice, drawing looks from around the cafeteria.

"No, no. Jae is my," I stop before calling him my friend. I don't really know what to consider him and I to call him my friend might be insensitive towards how he feels.

"Friend," Jae finishes my sentence for me, "I sit next to her in calculus. I would never hurt Yeonjoo!"

I look at him with a face of pleasant surprise.

"Oh, Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry. I misunderstood. You see our Yeonjoo has a lot of people out to get her because of that little Misun so-"

"Let's stop there, Yong," I laugh awkwardly, pulling her aside.

"Right. Anyways," she turns to look at me, holding my two hands, "I have somewhere to be right now and I might not make it back in time before lunch ends. I'm sorry to leave you alone but I really have to get something done. Remember to stay strong and if anyone says something just tell me and I'll beat their faces in!"

I see Jae laughing which is a good sign. Rather than feeling awkward after knowing what kind of reputation I have at school and leaving me behind, he still stands next to me and just laughs along. I unconsciously smile towards him as I have a good feeling the two of us will be getting along pretty well.

"Don't worry about Yeonjoo, I'll take care of her from here," he smiles and slings an arm around my shoulder.

"Well, I'll be taking my leave. I'll leave her in your hands!" Yongsun waves goodbye as she runs in the opposite direction.

Jae and I look at each other, smiling. 

I have a good feeling about this. About us.

  

author's note so so sorry it took me forever to upload the first chapter. it is finally summer so i have time to write now. thank you for those who subscribed and stayed patient for the first chapter. i know this was boring but it was an intro chapter so yeah. hopefully the next chapter can be up soon!