Lovers in Japan

Growing a Tree of Love

 

You looked up from the slip of paper and looked left and right to orientate yourself. Let’s see… I think it’s around this corner… You thought. You took a left to see a looming apartment building. “Well, I guess that’s it,” you muttered, your breath coming out in billows. You rubbed your hands together and breathed warm air on them.

You’d gotten a job with Woollim Entertainment to be one of Infinite’s stylists. It was your dream job, to be able to see your seven favorite shining faces—makeup on or off.

Your new boss had given you the slip of paper and told you to arrive there promptly at the ridiculous hour of three a.m. and you took the address printed on the slip to be of Infinite’s new dorm. As you crossed the street and entered the building, you checked your watch. 2:55 a.m. Not bad. You took the elevator, and by the time you stepped off, it was 2:58. Good.

Taking another glance at the slip in your hand, you glanced to your right. “Hmm. It should be on this side… Ah,” you mumbled to yourself as you stepped forward to ring the buzzer. However, before you could even touch it, the door flew open as if someone was expecting you. You jumped in surprise. “HOLY SH—“

“You’re late!” Woohyun interrupted.

You checked your watch. “No I’m not! It’s only 2:59!” You retorted.

One of Infinite’s managers, Jungryul, poked his head around the doorframe. “Ah, you must be the new stylist,” he commented. “Come in, come in.”

He shot an annoyed look at Woohyun, who was smiling innocently. He looked for all the world like he’d pulled an all-nighter. They both stepped aside to let you in. As you stepped across the threshold, you noticed there were still a few unpacked boxes strewn about. Dongwoo was lying in the middle of the floor, still half-asleep.

“Who’s that?” He mumbled sleepily as soon as he noticed you.

“New stylist,” Woohyun replied.

You also noticed half-packed suitcases lying around. “Are you going somewhere?” you asked.

“Japan!” Sungyeol cried cheerily, coming in through another hallway.

“What??” you exclaimed, shocked. You’d just gotten the job, and now they’d be leaving? “What am I supposed to do while you’re gone? I need money too!” you cried indignantly.

“Why, you’re coming with us, of course,” Woohyun smirked.

You sat down, not able to trust your legs. “To Japan? With you? How—What?

Sungyeol clicked his tongue and shook his head. “She should really read the fine print next time,” he muttered, half-amused. He smiled at you.

“We leave tomorrow night at six; meet us back here, since you’re the rookie and you won’t know where to go,” Woohyun informed you, ignoring your shocked expression. He winked at you before walking away to his and Sunggyu’s room.

At least he’s kind enough to walk me through it…

~~~

As soon as he was alone in the room, Woohyun closed the door and sank to the floor. Sitting cross-legged, he put his chin in his hand and sighed. “Wow, she was so cute…”

Sunggyu patted his pockets, looking for his phone. I must’ve left it in my room, he thought. He tried to open the door to his room, but found the door blocked by a heavy object on the other side. “Yah! Woohyun! Are you in there?” He banged on the door.

“Oh shoot!” Woohyun hissed before retreating to the safety of his bed. He avoided Sunggyu’s squinting gaze.

“Yah, why are you all alone in here?” Sunggyu asked.

Hyung, I think I’m in love~~~ Woohyun wanted to say… But he kept his mouth shut, fearing what his hyung would say about his crush. Maybe it’s just a simple infatuation; maybe it’ll go away…

~~~

When you got home, you immediately picked up the phone and dialed the number of Woollim Entertainment. After an extensive conversation mostly involving you asking questions about your job, you reached the conclusion that the job included the responsibility of following Infinite if you wanted to keep your job. You slumped onto your couch and sighed. Good thing I don’t have any appointments this month… You thought. The rest of the day was spent packing and getting ready for the trip.

___

The next evening, you dragged your rolling suitcase and a carry-on to Infinite’s apartment. At the door, you checked your watch. It was 5:30; you made sure to arrive early so that Woohyun wouldn’t be the one yelling at you for no reason. Ringing the buzzer, you stepped back (out of the door’s range, just in case) to wait for the door to open. Again, Woohyun came to the door. “You’re here!” He smiled, stepping back to let you in. The other seven members were dressed in their respective airport fashions. “Let’s go together~” Woohyun cheered. You eyed him weirdly.

___

At the airport, Inspirits were gathered to see Infinite off to Japan. You trailed behind them with a cluster of other staff going with them to Japan.

___

Once on the airplane—you were riding with Infinite because somehow your ticket magically got changed to first class, so you were boarding with them—you looked for your seat. 16A… 16A… Ah, 16A. Your carry-on was actually quite small; hence you decided to put it on the seat next to you, thinking the seat was going to be empty. However, you were proved wrong when someone stopped at your row.

“Isn’t this my seat?”

That voice… It was so familiar. You looked up. “Woohyun-ssi?” You exclaimed.

He grinned. “The one and only.”

You quickly removed your bag. “Sorry,” you muttered.

He took his seat next to you. “Since you’re the rookie, I took the liberty to persuade CEO-nim to upgrade you to first class,” he explained, “so the members could run you through how it works around here.”

And how did I end up seating next to him, specifically? You thought to yourself. You smiled sweetly. “Ah, thanks, Woohyun-ssi~”

___

Minutes after the plane took off, you found yourself getting drowsy. You hated the fact that for some reason you could never stay awake while riding on a plane, even though the trip from Seoul to Tokyo wasn’t that long. You felt your eyelids getting heavier and heavier…

~~~

Woohyun felt a weight on his shoulder; he turned his head to look at you, fast asleep. He smiled to himself. She looks so peaceful…

~~~