C h a p t e r 1

Love At First Sight *Mini Story*

“Umma, I don’t want to marry Key,” you complained.

“Why not, sweetie?” your umma asked.  ”I think he’s very suitable for you.  He’s smart, handsome, and must I say very fashionable.”

“We just don’t click, umma,” you simply answered.  Your umma sighed and nodded.

“Okay, we’ll try again next time,” she said and went out of your room.  You sighed and looked out of your bedroom window.

“I’m going back to the city.  I need to talk to appa again,” you said to yourself with a confident smile.

____________________________________________________

It was the next morning when JongHyun woke up tiredly from his alarm clock.  He yawned as he sat up and stretched.  He looked at the time and sighed.  ‘Different day, same thing,’ he thought as he got up.  Once he was ready and about to head out the door, he saw his appa lying down on the couch with a beer bottle in his hand and the TV on.  Again, he sighed and headed out the door.  ‘That’s right, it’s umma’s death anniversary.  I’m skipping for today.’  JongHyun ended up going to the city instead of school.  He’s a straight A student, so it’s fine for him.

“I should visit umma soon,” he said to himself.  JongHyun entered the flower shop to buy a bouquet of lilies.  His umma loves lilies.  ”Kamsahamnida.”

“No problem, sweetie,” the old woman said so gently.  Once JongHyun exit the store, you bumped into him.

“Ah, mianhe, mianhe, mianhe!  I didn’t mean to.”  JongHyun looked at you and smiled.

“It’s alright, don’t worry about it,” he said simply and walked away.  You looked at him and smiled.  You then entered inside the store, in search of a bouquet of flowers.

“C-Can you please arrange me a bouquet?  I-I’m going to my appa’s grave,” you asked shyly.  The woman smiled.

“Of course, sweetheart.  Wait right here,” she said.  You nodded in agreement and patiently stood there.  After about five minutes, the woman came back and gave you the price.

“Kamsahamnida,” you said and paid before leaving.

You put on a cap and sunglasses before you continued on walking.  It was pretty empty in the city, although, students were in school.  It was a nice, sunny, windy and chilly day.  The weather was perfect and you enjoyed every minute of it.  You finally reached the grave.  You smiled, quickly looking for your appa’s grave.  You knelt down on your knees and placed the flowers on his tomb.

“Hey, appa.  How are you doing?” you asked.  You stayed silent for a while.  ”Remember Key oppa?  Umma wants me to marry him.  I’m happy that she’ll accept my answer for a no, but…I want to find my future husband.  Marry for love.”  You sighed.  ”I hate being home schooled.  I hate knowing that I’m stuck taking over the business for umma once I marry.  I hate being trapped in the house.  I-You know, there’s this boy I bumped into today before getting flowers.  I remember that story you told me about how you bumped into umma by accident in a cafe and you split coffee over her.  You said that your heart was pounding and you were nervous and you have that feeling that you can’t describe in words.”  You smiled and laughed a little.  ”I believe I know what you meant now.”  The wind started to pick up, causing your cap to fly off your head.  You gasped.  ”Oh no!  I-I’ll be back appa!”  You then ran off to get your cap.  You suddenly saw someone pick it up and handing it to you.  You smiled.  ”Kamsahamnida.  Kamsahamnida.”

“No problem,” you heard a boy say.  You looked up and your eyes widened a bit.  ‘It’s him!’ you mentally screamed.  ”Oh, you’re the girl from the flower shop.  Visiting a family member, too?”  You only nodded, feeling a little speechless.

“I-I’m visiting my appa,” you suddenly said.  The boy looked at you with a sad smile.

“I’m visiting my umma.  Don’t you have school?” he asked.

“Don’t you?” you asked back.  He chuckled.

“Yeah, but it’s my umma’s death anniversary so I might as well skip for today.”  You nodded.

“I’m home schooled.  I already finished my work for this week,” you answered.

“Home school?  How’s that like?”  You looked at him and smiled.

“It .  I mean, sure it’s cool getting to work whenever and stuff, but you’re always alone.”

“Alone?  Don’t you have any friends to hang out with and stuff?”  You sadly shook your head.

“I’m not allowed out of the house,” you answered without thinking.  Your eyes widened.

“Wow, that .  Hey, do you have time to hang out?” he asked.  You looked at him in shock, but suddenly smiled with a nod.  The boy smiled back and extended his hand.  ”I’m Kim JongHyun.  You?”

“Park _______,” you answered as you shook his hand.  JongHyun nodded.

“Sounds familiar, but, it’s nice to meet you,” he said.

You two were walking in the city of Seoul side by side.  Before leaving, you said bye to your appa and even JongHyun, too.  He had bought you two ddokbokki to eat as you walked.

“So, my name is familiar to you?” you asked curiously.

“Yeah, but that doesn’t matter,” JongHyun answered.  You smiled.  JongHyun looked at you again with a smile.  ”So, _______, are you like some trouble maker that causes you to stay in the house?”  You laughed.

“Nah, my umma just doesn’t want me out.  While she’s gone out for bus…work, that’s when I sneak out.  It’s usually maybe twice a month.  Well, it varies,” you answered.

“So, are you that Park _______ girl that’s the next heir for Park Corps.?” he suddenly asked.  You frowned and nodded.  ”That stinks to be forced to do something like that.”  You looked at him in shock.  ”I mean, you have a choice.”

“It’s not as easy as you think,” you answered.  ”Plus, since the business is in fashion, I don’t mind running, it’s just the thought knowing I…never mind.”

“No, go ahead.  I don’t mind hearing it.  It’s probably a public thing, so it’s not a big secret.”  You nodded in agreement.

“My umma is finding guys for me to marry so I can soon take charge of the company.”  It was silent then.

“I wish you didn’t have to,” you heard JongHyun mumble.  You looked at him in curiosity.  ”You should be able to find the person you love, not her.”  You smiled and nodded.

“She wants a guy who’s smart and most likely rich, but I really don’t care.  He can be a delinquent or a fighter, I don’t care.  If we love each other, then I’ll marry him.”

“Then, that’s what you should do.  Would your mother get angry?” he asked seriously.  You nodded yet shrugged.

“Don’t worry about it though.  I had gotten her angry plenty of times,” you said with a small laugh. JongHyun smiled with your optimistic act.  ”I’m so comfortable around you.  I really like it.  Thank you.”

“Why thank me?”

“Because I don’t feel as if I am Park _______, daughter and next heir of Park Corps.  With you, I’m just Park _______, a normal girl.  No paparazzi around, reporters, fans.  It’s great.”  Suddenly, your phone vibrated.  You frowned.  JongHyun quickly saw your change in expression.  ”I’m sorry, I have to go.”

“Well, at least let me walk you home,” JongHyun offered.

“Thank you.  I’d like that.”  You two started to head back to your place.  ”So, will we see each other again?”

“Give me your phone,” JongHyun said.

“My phone?” you asked as you took it out of your pocket.  JongHyun nodded and took it.  After pushing in a few buttons, he handed it back to you.  You also stopped walking and stood in front of your house.

“Nice place.  Any guards around?” he asked sarcastically.

“Only at night, but they do a poor job,” you answered with a laugh.  JongHyun smiled.

“Well, I’ll call you later tonight.  Bye, _______.”

“Bye JongHyun,” you responded and watched him leave.  ‘Wait, he’s going to call me?  I never gave him my number…’  “J-Jong…”  Your phone soon vibrated for a text message.  You opened the unknown number’s message and suddenly smiled.

Just to let you know, I got your number. :)
-JongHyun