Paper Planes

Paper Planes

I promised my little sister I would go to the park with her today. We moved here a little while ago, so she wanted to check out the area. I didn’t mind. My sister was quite a bit younger than me, but that only made her even more adorable in my eyes. Besides, it was a good opportunity for me to get some work done while breathing some fresh air at the same time.

We had just finished our lunch and my sister decided it was the perfect time to go to the park. I grabbed all of my stuff that I needed. I made sure to bring my books and a notebook to write in. We put on our shoes and made our way outside. It was a nice and sunny day, so there was no need to wear a jacket. It was a five minute walk to the park. When we neared the park, my sister got all excited, so I told her she could go ahead of me. When I made it to the park, I looked for a place to sit and get some work done. I spotted a bench in the sun and made my way towards it. I made sure my sister was close enough so I could keep an eye on her. I already saw her playing with a bunch of other kids, so I didn’t have to worry about her being alone. I opened up my textbook and sighed as I made a start to my load of homework.

About an hour later my sister made her way towards me. ‘What are you doing?’ she asked me. ‘I’m finishing some of my homework,’ I replied. ‘You should come play with us.  Why are you being so boring?’ she whined as she grabbed my notebook. ‘What’s this? It doesn’t seem to be that important to not be spending time with me,’ she said as she tore a page out of my notebook. ‘What?! I still need that,’ I said annoyed. She didn’t bother listening to me. She was already folding the paper. When she was done after a couple seconds, it turned out to be a paper plane. ‘Go and get it then,’ she said while blowing a raspberry. She threw the paper plane and I silently cursed her for being able to make a proper one, because it flew all the way to the other side of the park. It landed near another bench, which happened to be occupied by some guy. I didn’t have my glasses on, so it was hard to tell what he looked like.

I sighed as I made my way towards him. He seemed to have noticed the paper plane as he had picked it up and opened it to read its content. I was only a few steps away from him when he finally noticed my presence coming towards him. ‘Is this yours?’ he asked me. His voice was soothing and pleasant to listen to. ‘Yeah, it is. My sister decided to be annoying, sorry about that,’ I answered. He finally looked up at me after I had responded. I silently gasped at his good looks, but tried to keep my nerves in check. ‘Algebra, huh?’ he said while handing back my sheet of paper. His hand slightly touched mine and I tried to pretend like I didn’t feel a shock run through my fingers. ‘Yeah… not my favorite subject as you might have been able to tell,’ I said. ‘I know how you feel. I hate it,’ he replied. ‘What’s taking you so long?!’ I heard my sister scream from afar. The guy looked past me to see where the source was coming from. ‘Is that your little sister?’ he asked. ‘Yes, she’s cute and I love her a lot, but she can be quite a handful at times, like right now,’ I answered slightly annoyed. ‘She’s cute, indeed. I think I might prefer her sister though,’ he said while winking at me. I chuckled at his miserable attempt at flirting. ‘Thanks, I appreciate it. You’re not so bad yourself,’ I replied. He smiled as he reached out his hand towards me. ‘I’m Ten,’ he introduced himself. I took his hand and shook it. ‘Nice to meet you, Ten,’ I said while smiling.

I still remember how annoyed I was with my sister that day, but I quickly forgave her. I wouldn’t have met Ten if it weren’t for her after all.

It was our one year anniversary today. Ten had planned a date for us, but he wouldn’t tell me where he was taking me. ‘Just wear something comfortable, don’t worry about it. You’ll look amazing either way,’ he told me. I shook my head as I softly chuckled. He could be such a cheesy idiot at times, but that’s what I loved about him.

I put the finishing touch to my outfit and made my way towards the living room where Ten was waiting for me. He looked up as he heard my footsteps nearing him. ‘You look beautiful,’ he complimented me while reaching for my hand. ‘Are you ready?’ he asked. I nodded my head. ‘Alright, let’s go then,’ he said as he pulled me along. ‘Are you still not telling me where we’re going?’ I asked. ‘Nope. Don’t worry, you’ll love it.’

We drove around in his car for a while. After a couple of minutes he asked, ‘Would you mind putting this on for me?’ He showed me a blindfold. ‘Are you serious?’ I asked. ‘Yes.’ I sighed as I put the blindfold in front of my eyes. He drove for a little while more. I started to feel disoriented as I couldn’t tell where we were heading at all. ‘We’re here,’ he finally said. He got out of the car and opened the door for me. I held out my hand in fear of falling as I got out of the car. He grabbed my hand and closed the car door behind me.

He held my hand as he led me towards the location where our date was supposed to take place. ‘Alright, you can take your blindfold off now,’ he said as he reached towards the knot. I took the blindfold off and was met with a cute picnic set up in the park where we first met. There were candles scattered around it. It was dark already, so it lit up the entire place in a pretty atmosphere. The stars were shining brightly as well. ‘It’s nothing fancy, but I know you prefer it this way,’ he said. ‘I love it, Ten. It’s beautiful,’ I gasped. ‘Come, sit down,’ he said as he helped me get through the candles. ‘Did you do all of this on your own?’ I asked astonished. ‘I had a little help,’ he said while winking at me.

We both sat down and enjoyed our date together. I couldn’t believe it had already been a year. I couldn’t believe his silly flirting had worked on me. I simply couldn’t deny his charms. He was an amazing guy and I didn’t know what I had done to deserve someone like him. Time flew by and we were slowly heading towards the end of our date as we had finished all of the food already. We were simply lying on the picnic blanket, talking while we gazed at the stars. I could see the lights of an airplane blinking in the night sky. ‘Do you remember how we first met?’ he asked me softly. ‘Of course I do, my sister decided to be annoying and throw away some important information I had been working on,’ I replied. He chuckled. ‘If it hadn’t been for that paper plane, we never would have met each other,’ he said. ‘Yeah, it’s weird once you think about it like that,’ I contemplated.

‘I got you a gift,’ he suddenly said. ‘It’s really cheesy, but I hope you like it, because I spent a lot of time working on it,’ he said worried. ‘Of course I’ll love it. Don’t be silly,’ I replied. ‘Alright, I’ll be right back.’ He stood up and walked away for a moment to get his gift. I wondered what it could be. He knew I didn’t like it whenever he spent a lot of money on me. I could see him coming back with a big wrapped box. ‘Why is it so big? Ten, you know I don’t–‘ ‘Don’t worry, I didn’t get you anything expensive,’ he reassured me. ‘I got you something priceless instead,’ he said while winking at me. I shook my head at another one of his cheesy comments. He put the box down in front of me. I looked at him expectantly. He nodded his head. ‘Go ahead, open it.’

I pulled on the little bow on top of it and watched as it unraveled. I tore off the wrapping paper and was left with a cute box. I pulled off the lid on top of it. Inside were tons of jars filled with tiny colored paper planes. ‘You didn’t…’ I gasped as I looked at him. He nodded his head. ‘I told you I spent a lot of time working on it,’ he said smugly. ‘Open one of the jars,’ he said. I carefully lifted a jar out of the box and twisted the lid. I grabbed a pink paper plane. ‘On each and every one of them is a written message from me. Try reading that one,’ he instructed. I carefully unfolded the paper plane. His cute handwriting was scribbled on top of it. ‘I love the way you crinkle your nose when you laugh,’ I read out loud. ‘There are a hundred paper planes. I wrote something I love about you on every single one of them. You can open them when you’re having a rough time or when I’m busy and can’t meet up with you. This way I’ll always be here,’ he explained. ‘Ten, I don’t know what to say. I’m speechless. I can’t believe you did all of this. It’s amazing, thank you so much,’ I said as I pulled him into a hug. ‘No problem, you’re absolutely worth it. I love you.’ ‘I love you too.’ He gently lifted my chin so he could place a soft kiss on my lips.