hansol

girls vs world

“... And I think you're beautiful, and your eyes shine more than the moon itself at night−” No, no, no! Hansol sighs for the umpteenth time as he runs a hand through his hand furiously - checking the clock on the wall makes him realize he has only 5 minutes left until classes are over, so he tightens his grip on his pen and starts writing again. Hansol's hands are shaking by the time he writes a new word on the paper; he frowns, looks down at his feet and smiles sheepishly.

“If someone saw me they would think I'm crazy...” The brunette murmurs to himself, he takes another glance at the clock, and with the little time he has left, he finishes the letter.

“I just think it's funny how words don't seem to come out as this exact moment; because I think so much about you... and there's a lot of things I'd wish to tell you... but I don't know how. I guess you're just like that: indescribable, not easy to explain... to comprehend... I see you every day but I still can't seem to find words to describe how astounding I think you are, I still can't comprehend why you're so beautiful yet so down to earth... so kind...”

“Meet me at the soccer field at night if you accept my confession.

With love, H.”

Hansol smiles again, his feet don't fail him as they direct him towards the lockers, where number 101 seems to outstand the others. Locker 101 is silently calling for him− so he goes there. Hansol doesn't hesitate for a second; and with shaky hands he folds the letter, takes that pin he stole from a girl on his class out of his pocket and tries to open the lock without much succeeding. The brunette frowns in despair, noticing how the clock is telling him there's only 2 minutes left until the bell rings again; so he twists the pin inside of the lock again, and again and again.

... By the time the bell rings, Hansol is already walking away with a knowing smirk on his face.

\( ● ⌒ ∇ ⌒ ● )/

Chwe Hansol knows he has a lot of virtues: he's good with words; that's, actually the reason why he decided to confess to his 4-year crush via love letter, his high grades on English and Literature tell him so, too, he's also good with music, and he's not being modest: he has great taste in music, he's known for being funny and kind, too − he recognizes it, but one thing Hansol admits is that he's not that good in being patient. 

Actually, he wasn't any good in being patient.

Bouncing his right leg nervously and looking around every 2 minutes, Hansol waits for her. He wonders if he dressed up more than necessary for her, and sighs when another 2 minutes pass by. Is she not coming? Did I forget to mention what field we were supposed to met in? ... Is she not coming? 

“Of course she's coming...” Hansol mumbles, he closes his eyes and throws his head back, thinking of the possibilities of her actually showing up and not leaving him alone in the cold with a bouquet of flowers in his hands. 

She wasn't like that... right?

Hansol frowns, and− no, she wasn't like that! At least he liked to think so. A thousand of thoughts come and go through his mind while he waits for her, but when he hears light footsteps above the grass he opens his eyes, and suddenly, all the thoughts are gone. 

The brunette is scared to look at the girl walking towards him, but when he does; slowly and with eyes half-closed, he starts with her shoes (white converse), her red skirt and heart-shaped earrings, and then he does it finally − Hansol looks at her, and soon realizes it is not what he was waiting for.

No− she wasn't who he was waiting for.

“What?” Hansol wonders out loud, he tilts his head to the side and scans the face of the girl in front of him; the girl− way shorter than him, is looking at him expectantly with big doe-eyes, and with her red lips, she pouts, in what, Hansol is guessing, is cute. Hansol looks at her hair: auburn and curly, which ends when the curve of her back just begins, and frowns, still speechless even after a few minutes, and confused, so confused... Hansol came to the soccer field expecting dark hair until the shoulders and a tall stature accompanied with long legs: not... this.

The girl in front of him frowns too, she looks like she has something to say and actually mumbles something that Hansol is not able to understand exactly. To say that he's annoyed is an understatement, so he keeps the frown and looks past through her, just when he realizes two shadows are coming closer and closer to them.

“Shi...

“What?” The girl finally speaks, she looks just as confused as Hansol, who opens his eyes like plates and tilts his head just slightly − hoping she understands. 

The girl turns her head around a little bit: just enough to be able to see the two security guards walking towards them slowly, and only gasps when Hansol grabs her by the wrist and starts running to the other direction, the girl doesn't have another choice than running along with him.

Hansol can't feel his feet by the time he stops hearing footsteps behind them, all he knows is that both of them have been running for minutes and the grass is slippery thanks to the fact that it rained a day before. Hansol can't hear anything behind them anymore but he keeps running, even when darkness is all he can see and tired breathing is everything he can hear.

He smiles.

The girl behind him stops running, though, so Hansol does the same too − and both, tired to say anything at all, just laugh between gasps and breaths. Hansol decides to lay on the grass for a while, and while he catches up his breath, he looks at the girl in front of him. In the darkness, he can't see her face at all, but he stares at her bangs, now wet because of the sweat, and looks at her hands: small, full of bracelets decorating her wrists. Hansol breathes out... he thinks for a moment.

“Are you hungry?” He asks, his voice is hoarse when he does so, and smiles just slightly when the girl laughs.

She shakes her head, biting her lower lip for a moment before reaching out her hand to help Hansol stand up.

“No, I just ate...” The girl says, and Hansol raises his eyebrows − the girl's voice is sweet and high-pitched, she spoke so quietly, Hansol realized why he hadn't understand her when she first said something. 

The brunette is about to nod when he hears a strange sound coming from the girl's stomach, something that makes him raise his eyebrows once again in a funny fashion.

“Are you sure about that?” He smiles, and knows that, even though he's not able to see it at the moment, the girl is blushing.

“I...” She murmurs, but Hansol doesn't let her finish as he takes her by the wrist once again and starts walking again.

“C'mon,” Hansol says, “I made a reservation...” He stops holding her wrist, and crosses his arms against his chest when he's sure that the girl is following him.

They don't say anything as they go out of school and walk through the busy streets of Seoul at night. The awkwardness came back a few moments ago, and as both walk slowly towards the restaurant, Hansol steals a few glances to the girl, realizes how curious and interested she seems of everything; as if she didn't live in Seoul, as if she hadn't seen the packed streets before, the lights, the food...

“We're not that far away from the restaurant anymore...” Hansol starts talking, he smiles faintly, but stops when he sees the girl again.

The girl, though, she never stops smiling. 

“Okay.” The girl replies back, she shrugs her shoulders and starts looking around her once again. Hansol would be lying if he said he didn't find the scene... endearing.

“Oh,” Hansol remembers something as he looks at the girl, he laughs sheepishly and gains her attention, “I don't know your name by the way...

The girl frowns, “Huh?” 

Hansol keeps his smile, even though the girl doesn't say anything, and then looks down. 

“I'm Hyeri, Han Hyeri,” The girl, Hyeri, introduces herself, somehow with little enthusiasm, Hansol doesn't mind, though, as he smiles again.

“Nice, I'm Hansol.” He says, and raises one eyebrow, “Oh, we're here already.” He says, offering Hyeri his arm, and when the girl takes it, he walks towards the entrance of a fancy-looking place.

“Woah...” Hyeri murmurs − Hansol guesses he wasn't supposed to hear that, so he only smiles at her exclamations and walks her towards reception. 

It's not until they're being directed to their table by a young-looking woman that both of them realize they're the only teenagers in the place, and how out-of-normal they seemed to be in the restaurant.

“They're looking,” Hyeri whispers to Hansol with a funny smile on her face, Hansol only nods back, already used to people staring at him.

“Yah, Hyeri?” Hansol whispers back, waiting until she looks at him to speak again, “Ignore the petals, yeah?” He smiles.

Hyeri raises her eyebrows but she nods, and laughs quietly when she sees the table they're supposed to sit at: because, yeah, there were petals: a lot of them, actually, all of them were bright red and formed a heart that's as big as their table. Hansol not-so-accidentally, takes a few of them and throws them at the floor, but Hyeri is still smiling.

“... And the music...” Hansol adds, hiding his face on the table when a violinist comes to their table, Hyeri laughs and says something like not now, and the music fades into the background. When Hansol raises his head from the table, Hyeri is looking at him.

Hansol doesn't know what to say, but Hyeri still stares, he opens his mouth to speak− to say anything to make things less uncomfortable, but jumps from his seat instead when he hears a voice behind him. 

“Good evening; welcome to Pour Le France, I'm Yebin and I'll be your waitress tonight,” A dark-haired girl with a pixie cut informs, she has a small notebook on her hands and she's smiling kindly to the pair, “You guys look great together... first date?” She asks, raising her eyebrows.

Hansol stutters and looks at Hyeri for help, “N-no, no!” 

“No!” Hyeri interrupts, and stretches her arm out to hold Hansol's hand, “We're siblings, actually.” Hyeri sighs dreamily and turns her head to see Hansol, “... Right, bro?.

“Yeah...” Hansol says quietly, smiling a little when the waitress frowns and glances at their hands and the petals on the table.

“... Right...” The waitress mumbles; she shakes her head in disapproval and turns away to leave. Hansol looks at her until she disppears, not before whispering something to a brunette girl who seemed to work at the restaurant too.

Hansol shakes his head in disbelief, and takes both of his hands to his already-messy hair, cracking up when Hyeri raises her eyebrows at him, a smirk on her face as she tries her best not to laugh with Hansol.

“Good evening; welcome to Pour Le France,my name is Yeunjung,” The brunette from before interrupts them, smiling sofly, “Your waitress this day. Are you guys ready to order?

Hansol exchanges looks with Hyeri before laughing together.

\( ● ⌒ ∇ ⌒ ● )/

Han Hyeri looks delicate, like the flowers they used to decorate the table they were eating in. She is small and has this strange aura that makes Hansol want to protect her − even though they just met, because, really, she looks like someone who needs it. Hyeri looks like someone who couldn't break a plate, but she breaks the whole crockery instead. Hansol realizes it as he stares at Hyeri devouring her second plate of food. 

Hansol smiles sheepishly as Hyeri seems to forget the boy in front of him, and clears his throat just in the hopes of making her realize that he... well, he was there.

“So...” Hansol mumbles, he's been playing with his fork for the last few minutes, and tentatively looks at Hyeri, who gulps some water before looking at him too.

“Yes?” She asks, tilting her head in an adorable fashion that Hansol has seen all night.

Hansol sighs, he looks around him and realizes most of the people that were on the restaurant had left already, and leans on his chair in despair.

“So... you and Jeon Somi?” He starts speaking, Hyeri is in the middle of taking another piece of meat to , but takes the fork down when Hansol speaks.

The small girl opens her eyes like plates and forms a perfect 'o', before crossing her arms against her chest.

“Ah... Jeon Somi, huh?” She nods with her head, looking at the distance, probably thinking. “You like her.” 

Hansol gasps, “Y-yeah...

Hyeri takes a finger to her lips, as if she were thinking deeply about something, “The letter... ah, I get it!” She says out loud, and Hansol frowns in confusion.

“What...?” Hansol speaks, but doesn't finish his sentence, “Y-you know her, or... why are you here instead?

“Uh,” It takes a few moments for Hyeri to answer but when she finally does, she takes the fork on the table and starts playing with it, “Yeah, we do talk, yes.” 

“And...?” Hansol asks, expectantly.

Hyeri bites on her lower lip, “Yah, why do you speak informally, though?

Hansol's shoulders fall, “Huh?

“Yes! This whole night, you've been calling me you! Have some respect for your elders!” Hyeri frowns, she crosses her arms again and pouts − Hansol only laughs loudly, his eyes crinkle up and he has to take water to calm down, but Hyeri only looks at him annoyed.

“Call me noona from now on.” Hyeri requests, she's not looking at him but at the menu instead, and Hansol is not sure if she's still joking or not.

“What?” Hansol frowns,  “How old are you?

 Hyeri pouts, “18 years old...” She mumbles, “Anyways, shouldn't we leave? It's getting late.” The apparently-older-girl says, she raises her hand to get Yeunjung's− the waitress' attention and steals a glance at Hansol.

“I should pay your stuff since you're my dongsaeng but I didn't bring a lot of money...” she mumbles, “So I'll only pay mine...

“I'll pay for you too, Hyeri.” Hansol says, but Hyeri only raises a finger and shakes her head.

“This is not a date, Chwe Hansol.” Hyeri smiles at him and puts her money on the table, and Hansol, still perplexed, only nods, putting his money on the table too, and following Hyeri out of the restaurant when he realizes she's leaving.

“Hyeri,” Hansol calls out, “Do you want me to take you to your house?” He asks. Hyeri is almost running by the time he says those words, and she stops for a second, letting Hansol catch up with her.

“It's not necessary, but thank you...” She says, looks into his eyes and smiles, “And thank you for tonight, too.

Hansol smiles back at her, he has his hands on his jeans' pockets as he sees her leave; and trembling because of the cold, he frowns, picks up his pace and follows her.

Hansol grips his hand around Hyeri's wrist again, and Hyeri jumps from the surprise, but Hansol only smiles.

“I shouldn't have asked,” He says, “Let's go.”

Hyeri is left speechless but nods nonetheless.

\( ● ⌒ ∇ ⌒ ● )/

“Thank you again...” Hyeri mutters, looking at her once-white converse. Hansol realizes the girl looks tired, so he only smiles again and nods.

“S' no problem, you know?” He shrugs it off, looking at her two-story house curiously from the street.

Hyeri nods, and smiles back. 

Hansol is distracted, so he takes it by surprise when he feels Hyeri's lips on his left cheek. The brunette widens his eyes and takes a step back in confusion, Hyeri is gone the moment Hansol realizes it was nothing, but he still touches his face in disbelief anyways.

Hansol's way to head home never felt so lonely before.