Chapter 1

Self Help : How to Make Your Mate in Love with You

This was supposed to be a beautiful day. Today was Kim Junhee’s 17th birthday, and her father promised to give her the best birthday gift tonight, but here she was, dragged by her best-friend-slash-second-cousin out of biology lab.

 

“I swear to God I won’t let this slide you little prick, I’ll make you pay,” Chae Hyungwon, the source of her misery, shouted from inside the lab while she was dragged by the waist by her best friend.

 

“Yeah? Why don’t you make me claw your eyes out instead, basta—“

 

“Kim Junhee,” a low growl resonated through the corridor, and Junhee stopped from her tantrum in a second.

 

“His fault, not mine,” she simply stated. Her brother looked really scary growling her name like that, but scary or not, she wouldn’t gave up on ruining Hyungwon’s face.

 

Hyungwon stepped out of the lab and glanced mockingly at Junhee. “Calling big oppa now are we? You’re not that brave after all,” he said.

 

Junhee wanted to launch at him and scratch his perfect face, but his brother was there and he was for sure wouldn’t let Junhee to do that, even though he also hated Chae Hyungwon as much as she did.

 

“I suggest you not to mess up with my sister again, Chae Hyungwon. This is the last time I tolerate such an act, if this happen again, it’ll be ugly,” her brother warned firmly, eyes sending daggers to Hyungwon.

 

“Then tell your moron of a sister not to mess with me first, Kim Jungshin. If she ever getting on my nerve again, war probably going to happen,” Hyungwon replied calmly before storming out their way.

 

Jungshin turned to Junhee and she knew that a long nag would come her way. “You need to watch your temper,” he spat angrily. “Didn’t you listen to what Dad said?”

 

Junhee was so pissed, it’s not her fault that Chae Hyungwon was a douche who happens to get on her nerve on their every encounters. “It’s not my fault, okay? Ask Namjoon,” she said as she pointed at her best friend who lazily watching the siblings’ banters.

 

“I know that he spilled the ink on your worksheet, Junhee, but it doesn’t mean you can punch his face like that.”

 

“You punched his face?” Jungshin asked in bewilderment, “You freaking punched his face. Nice work, Junhee, you really act like a lady, just like mom wants you,” he added in sarcasm.

 

“And I’m sure that it’ll leave a bruise, good thing that teacher already out of class, or you probably could get expelled,” Namjoon solemnly continued, making Jungshin even more red in anger.

 

“What you expect me to do then? My worksheet was ruined and I have to do it all over again,” she argued angrily.

 

 “Then just do it all over again, we don’t want a war, Junhee, we don’t,” Jungshin hissed before going to God knows where.

 

“Why is everybody saying war? Does the dude have an army or something? And where do you find strength to punch like that? Namjoon bombarded her with questions.

 

From my wolf side. The thing was, Kim Junhee was not a regular girl, she’s a werewolf, along with her brother and Chae Hyungwon, and her best friends happened to have no clue about that. Namjoon probably thought that she was just an ordinary girl like the rest of the girls in school (except some of the girls also werewolves) Namjoon’s parents though, knew who she was since his dad was her mother’s cousin and later became her dad’s best friend.

 

Her father was the alpha of their pack and he was mated with her mom, an ordinary human. Junhee was always captivated every time she heard her parents’ story. How her dad would sacrifice his life just for her mother happiness, or how her mother would do anything just to be beside her dad. Junhee wanted a love story just like that. When she finds her mate, she’d make sure that her love story will be as beautiful as her parents’.

 

She always wondered how it was to find a mate, would it be magical? Or breathtaking? Or simply calming? Her brother, who already found his mate, said that it can’t be described. But, her brother was never good with words, he was a man with a few words, so she wouldn’t get anything if she asks him anyway. However, her mother always said one thing that she always thought that’s beautiful. “You will follow him around like a lost puppy once you meet him.”

 

And Junhee just couldn’t wait to follow her mate around. Because she was sure that her mate would be so handsome and prince like that even her couldn’t bear to get parted from him.

 

“And why in the world did you fight with Chae Hyungwon again?” a voice interrupted her reverie. Kim Namjoo, a pretty girl with bright eyes, wavy brown locks and milky white skin, looked at her with a quirked brow.

 

“And how the hell do you know that she fought with Chae Hyungwon?” Namjoon asked curiously. Namjoo was startled a little, she probably caught their conversation with her wolf super hearing power, but she couldn’t possibly tell him that.

 

“I can tell just by looking at her face,” she coolly replied instead.

 

“You are right tho,” Namjoon answered much to everyone’s relieved. “She punched Hyungwon in the face.”

 

“No way,” Namjoo gasped.

 

“Yes, I did. And for the record, he deserved it.”

 

“Of course you would say that,” Namjoo mocked with rolling eyes.

 

“What is that supposed to mean?”

 

A little sight escaped from Namjoo’s lips. “I don’t get why you hate him so much, I don’t think he’s that bad.”

 

“Not that bad? He’s the worst. Everything about him is bad.” His cocky face for example, or his annoying voice, his ugly thick lips, everything, from head to toe, are annoying. Not to mention, his y attitude. Junhee could made a list of “Reasons Why You Should Hate Chae Hyungwon” but she knew that Kim Namjoo don’t want to hear any of it.

 

“You know what, I don’t sign for this. I’m starving, let’s go eat something,” she said and linked her arm with Namjoon, like ussual. Junhee and her friends called them twins, it’s because they were born in the same day, hence their parents give them similar names. They’ve been attached to the hip since day one and never parted, like a twin indeed, although they couldn’t possibly be twins, since Namjoo’s, you know, wolves genes and all.

 

They approached a table in the cafeteria which already occupied by Junhee’s two cousins, Kim Seokjin and Kim Taehyung, and their bestfriend, Park Jimin.

 

“Junhee punched Chae Hyungwon’s face,” Namjoo informed the table as she plopped down beside Jimin with Namjoon followed her suit, sitting beside her.

 

“Junhee,” Seokjin warned her sternly with a little glare and a shaking head. From all the human teens, Seokjin probably the only one who knew the truth about werewolves packs. Since he was the oldest of them all, the elder told him a long time ago so that he could protect them if they went overboard and shifting to wolves in public without noticing. Thank God, things like that never happened, but Junhee was not so sure how long they could keep the record, because with Chae Hyungwon around, she probably someday would burst in anger and shift to a wolf in front of the whole school. And that’s not exactly what Seokjin wants.

 

The things you need to know about werewolves, the overwhelming anger bring out their wolves side, so they probably would shift into wolves if they’re really mad. That’s why they had an intense practice about restraining their anger and holding their wolves’ side when they were kids. And Junhee happened to ace the practice when she was little. But then again, with Chae Hyungwon around, she wasn’t sure how much she could handle her anger. Chae Hyungwon was just the most annoying werewolf on earth.  

 

Their enmity started silly if you asked her. From the first time she landed her eyes on him in the opening ceremony, she knew right away that he was a werewolf and the fact alone brought the uneasiness for her. The feeling seemed mutual since the wolf boy also glared at her saying ‘what are you looking at, pup?!’ and from that moment on, their war started.

 

They happened to be in the same class in the freshmen year, and this year. Hyungwon would hissed lowly every time she passed by “get lost, Kim your scent disgust me.” That usually reeled Junhee’s anger to no end. And some small accident like bumping at each other could turn into such ugly scene if the two involved.

 

Junhee basically hated to fight with people, but Chae Hyungwon was the only exception.

 

“The teacher didn’t catch you?” Seokmin asked, referring to the punching incident.

 

“Nope, she’s already out, we were held back to clean our table,” Junhee explained.

 

“What did he do now?”

 

“He spilled ink on my worksheet,” Junhee stated with a gritted teeth, still angered by the mere thought of it.

 

“Unintentionally,” Namjoon tried to explain the actual incident.

 

“But still,” Junhee angrily spat.

 

“Doesn’t mean that he deserve a punch in the face.”

 

“The bastard saw it coming.”

 

“And I believe it’s going to bruise.”

 

“For all I care, the jerk can break his nose and I will gladly add another bruise.”

 

The whole table rolled their eyes until Namjoo fidgeting on her seat. “The is passing by in three, two, one—“

 

“Hi, guys.”

 

“Hi, Hayoung,” they chorused to greet back a pretty girl that passed by, except for Namjoo who hissed ‘go to hell’ instead. Hayoung glanced at Namjoo for a second before catching up with her friends.

 

Junhee turned to the sulking Namjoo, “You need to stop this childish fight, she was your best friend.”

 

“Oh, please, that ’s dead to me.”

 

“Namjoo!”

 

“Listen, Junhee if you can have the childish fight with Chae Hyungwon, then I deserved one too, and it’s not childish between us.”

 

“Guys,” Seokjin interrupted sternly. Both Junhee and Namjoo seemed to listen the older guy, as they continued to munch on their lunch sulkily.

 

Kim Namjoo and Oh Hayoung were best friends back then when they were kids. Their father, Kim Jongin and Oh Sehun, were also best friends, which made them naturally became close. But right before they entered high school, Hayoung found her new click and everything went south between her and Namjoo. Nobody really knew what had happened, not even Namjoon, but it seemed that their friendship had broken beyond repair.

 

“So many hates around, don’t you think?” Taehyung suddenly said. “I think noona need to find boyfriends so they will calm down a little, like Jungshin hyung,” he pointed at one of a table in the centre of the room, which occupied by Jungshin who currently his mate’s face, Park Chorong.

 

“Eww, gross,” Junhee and Jimin chorused. Jimin was Chorong’s brother, and just like Junheed, he’s not really fond of witnessing his sister making out with her mate. That was why they never sat with them at lunch in the first place; because they were too busy snogging to eat.

 

“I can’t wait to find my mate,” Namjoo blurted out suddenly, but after getting glares both from Seokjin and Junhee, she cleared . “Soulmate, I mean. I wonder where he is,” she added dreamily.

 

“Probably close,” Namjoon casted her a look.

 

Junhee pretended not to hear the increasing heartbeat on Namjoon’s chest. But how could she, when Jimin, who also picked out Namjoon’s heartbeat, glanced warily at her. Even the two ordinary humans looked at Namjoon with pity looks. And Junhee wondered how could Namjoo be so clueless?

 

>>> 

 

“How is my favorite girl’s birthday?” her uncle Chanyeol asked her when she greeted him on her birthday party at her house.

 

“I thought Chorong unnie was your favorite girl?” Junhee raised a brow, painfully identical with how her mother raised her brow, Chanyeol thought.

 

“Nah, she’s someone else favorite girl now,” Chanyeol sadly looking at the corner of the room where Jungshin and Chorong happily chatting.

 

Suddenly, Junhee’s father came to interfere their conversation and patted his best friend’s back. “I’m happy we’re going to be in-law though, so much for best friend forever, huh?”

 

“Of course, but best friend or not, the grandkids will be spending time with me on the weekend.”

 

“Yah, Park Chanyeol!”

 

Junhee giggled at the elder’s banter, she always admired their friendship, just like how they promised, best friend forever and ever.

 

“If Chanyeol get the grandkids, you have to get married soon, princess,” her father jokingly said to her.

 

“What? No, I’m still young,” she said as she scrunched her nose in disgust.

 

“Yeah, that’s what I said before I met my mate,” both her uncle Chanyeol and her father laughed at Chanyeol’s remark. “When you meet him, Jun, you will be a foolish in love, just like your father here.”

 

“No, I won’t.”

 

“Yeah, that’s what I said before I met your mother.” Another laugh.

 

“Oh, Jongin and Sehun are here,” Chanyeol informed delighted, but then frowned. “I wonder what’s taking Namjoo and Hayoung so long to get back together, didn’t you guys talk about it?”

 

“Wait, you knew about them?”

 

The elders nodded. “Of course we knew, what do you kids think of us? Bunch of morons?” Chanyeol frowned.

 

“That’s not—whatever, you know what, I’ll talk to them, again.

 

“Good, it’s not good to fight with your best friend for too long, you know. Now, I’m gonna go talk to Jongin and Sehun. Again, happy birthday, Honey.”

 

“Thanks, uncle Channie.”

 

She turned to her father when Chanyeol was out of sight. “You fight with someone at school, too?” her father asked her as he brushed a strain of her hair behind her ear.

 

Her thought flew to Hyungwon for a second before lying, “of course not.”

 

“That’s not what your heart beat told me.”

 

Junhee rolled her eyes lazily. “I should really learn how to control my heartbeat.”

 

“If your purpose is to lie to me, then you’re not allowed to.”

 

Sigh. “Alright, I get it. Now, where’s my present, daddy?”

 

“Changing topics so smoothly, just like your mom.”

 

She just grinned. “Seriously, I don’t get any present? You promised me the best present,” she whined.

 

“Only if you promise not to punch Mr. Chae’s son in the face again. he’s an alpha’s son, we don’t want anything ugly to happen.”

 

“I know, he’s from another pack and even if they’re not our enemy, we can’t trigger anything that lead to war,” she chanted like she was reading a text book, that’s how often she repeated that line already. “And I promise that I’ll try not to get angry easily and not getting on his nerve, warrior promise,” she held up her palm in the end.

 

“Good girl, now here’s your present.” She took a velvet box that her father handed her. She saw her father urging her to open it so she complied.

 

“What’s this?” she asked at the sight of a very beautiful bracelet on the velvet box.

 

“That is the charm that was given by the oracle to your mom. Remember that in the ancient time that other werewolves used to steal their alpha mate? That was the charm the alpha’s mate used to protect themselves from other werewolves,” her father explained. “This was given to your mom so that human guys can’t hurt her or steal her from me, the charms protect her from boys who have bad intention to her, now we want you to have it.”

 

Junhee was startled, “but why? Doesn’t it belong to Chorong unnie now?”

 

“Didn’t you get it?” her father chuckled while ruffling her hair. “This was given to your mother because she’s a human, it served to protect her. Chorong is werewolves and she can protect herself, and we live in decorous society now, nobody’s would steal somebody’s mate and with Jungshin beside her, she’s going to be fine. But you, princess, you don’t have your mate yet, so we want you to have it so it can protect you from bad boys.”

 

Junhee could only smile. Her father was over protective in his own way. “So, you basically scared that I will play around with boys so you put a leash on me?”

 

“That’s not it, princess,” the older groaned. “We don’t know when you will meet your mate, and every waking hour is dangerous for untamed omega to walk alone unprotected.”

 

“I thought we live decorous society?”

 

“We do, but I’m not sure with other pack.”

 

“So you basically say that we can’t trust the Chaes?”

 

“Doesn’t mean I give you permission to punch his face.”

 

“Do other girls have this too?” she lifted the bracelet skeptically.

 

“No, it’s special, only one in the world, from the oracle herself,” her father grinned proudly.

 

“Then I feel weak wearing this,” she protested. “I can punch a boy in the face just fine.”

 

“Your human body, yes, but your wolf--,” he father hesitantly said.

 

Junhee rolled her eyes, she felt really annoyed right now. “Is this because I’m still a puppy? Or the fact that I’m a half breeding?”

 

“Sweetheart, please? Wear it for me, huh?” her father pleaded.

 

With a dejected sigh, she nodded eventually. “Okay, I will do it, it’s a pretty bracelet anyway, so I get nothing to lose.”

 

“That’s my girl. Now, why don’t you go talk to Namjoo, she looked distress standing with Hayoung.” She turned to the Kims and the Ohs and in fact, Namjoo looked like she would kill someone anytime soon. Junhee tiptoed to leave a kiss on her daddy’s cheek before rushing to her friends.

 

“Does she take it good? Or is she mad?”

 

Kim Junmyeon turned to his wife and engulfed her in a side hug. He kissed her temple before answering “need a little persuasion, but she’s agreed eventually. And even if she didn’t, I’ll make her do it, we don’t know when she’ll meet her mate and before that, her wolf needs as much support as we can provide.”

 

“I really hope she’ll gonna be okay,” her wife said warily.

 

“She will, I promise.”

***

I wrote three different versions of this chapter until I satisfied with the result and I stilll found it quite boring. But I think enough with the introduction, the next chapter will be pure about our couple, so get yourself ready :D

Also, it's 3 in the morning and I can't sleep but I feel too tired!

Do comment, I decided that I like comment the most.. LOL

Anyway, adios amigos, I need to sleep.

Oh, one more thing, who's here purely because of Hyungwon? Talk to me, I love Hyungwon...