Coffee Girl

Coffee Girl
The first time, she couldn't stop staring at her.
 
"One latte please." She would always say with a smile.
 
She would then place her money on the counter and stare at the window on her left, showing her beautiful side profile.
 
After Somi would give Yoojung the third latte she made (because she "tasted" the first one and ed up the second one), she would pass the drink to the goddess in front of her, who would smile and speak out a quiet "Thanks" before going to the corner booth, and stare out the window again.
 
According to her theory, God used up his Seventh Day to craft up a girl named Kim Doyeon with such perfection that she, Choi Yoojung, has no match against.
 
(God gave Doyeon perfection, God forgot to give Yoojung some height and also forgotten to give Somi half of her brain.)
 
After staring at Doyeon for what seems like an eternity (which ended when she felt a slap on the head by no one else other than a smirking Chungha, who knew of her little crush.), Doyeon soon left the cafe, bringing the latte with her. Yoojung noticed that her gentle smile never left her features, her eyes twinkling.
 
She wishes for a second time.

 


 

The second time, she brought a friend.
 
'Ki Hee Hyun,' Somi had told her. 'We were partners in science. I hated her guts.' Somi sneered, earning a chuckle from Yoojung. 'She would boss me around and would call me names. I could've stabbed her with a pencil, but alas, I took pity on her poor, tainted soul.' Somi fake-cried, doing a drama pose, which made Yoojung both snicker and cringe at the same time.
 
 "Yoojung-ah! Your coffee girl is going to order!" Chunga whisper-shouted at Yoojung, throwing her off guard.
 
"Shut up! Somi can hear you!"
 
"Can hear what?"
 
Yoojung spun around so fast, she got whiplash.
 
"Woah, slow down there, tiger." Somi held her shoulders, helping her bearings.
 
"Somi! You scared the out of me! Go back to the kitchen and brew more coffee!"
 
"I'm a barista, not your Dutch wife. Don't tell me to go to the kitchen with that tone." Somi grumbled, crossing her arms.
 
Yoojung made a mental note not to raise her tone on Somi ever again, for her and Chungha's safety.
 
She went back to the cashier (with a snickering Chungha passing by) to take Doyeon's order.
 
As she looked up, she was a bit surprised to see Heehyun with Doyeon beside her.
 
"One latte and one cappuccino. And make fast, squirt." Heehyun smirked at Yoojung, making her grit her teeth.
 
'I can see why Somi hates her.' Yoojung thought.
 
After punching the buttons on the cashier, she looked up again, only to see Doyeon staring at her.
 
Yoojung silently prays that she wont spontaneously combust into flames infront of her crush.
 
Doyeon smiles apologetically, and speaks with a voice softer than pillows. "Sorry. My friend's an sometimes, but she's all right."
 
Even with a swear, Yoojung thinks her voice is still soft. Hell, she could listen to her cuss all day and Yoojung would still like her.
 
Afraid to blurt out nonsense and embarrass herself, she smile and nods, making Doyeon smile even wider.
 
'Thank you God, for giving me the opportunity to meet you in female form.' Yoojung silently prays to the heavens above.
 
After Somi would give the latte and cappuccino to Doyeon, she would return to the corner booth, with Heehyun who, in return, would mock Doyeon for whatever reason that is.
 
Whilst watching Heehyun and Doyeon (her Doyeon) talk, she has already made 15 ways how to kill Ki Heehyun.
 
She can't help but feel jealous when Doyeon would slap Heehyun on the arm playfully, when Doyeon would smile at Heehyun's stories, when Doyeon would breath in the same air with Heehyun, Yoojung felt so much jealousy when she felt the closeness of the Doyeon and Heehyun.
 
Then a thought hit her. 'What if they're dating?' 
 
Unless Doyeon's straight as a ruler, Yoojung had no clue if Doyeon's dating.
 
She snapped out of trance when another woman came in the café, and kissed Heehyun on the cheek.
 
Yoojung breathed a sigh of of relief when Somi told her it was Heehyun's girlfriend Chaeyeon, who was way nicer than Heehyun (Somi had told her Chaeyeon and Heehyun hated each other to death which made no sense to Yoojung considering they're dating.)
 
After watching the three laugh and talk (Doyeon's laugh was music to her ears), they soon left the cafe, bringing their drinks together. Doyeon still had that smile on her face, which made Yoojung's heart flutter.
 
'Third time's the charm.' Yoojung thought, with a smile on her face.
 

 

Third time was definetly not the charm.

Atleast, for Yoojung that is.

Doyeon brought another friend this time.

And Yoojung was sure this friend was 200% gay.

Not that she hated gays, but this certain person was way too gay with a certain someone.

And this certain someone happened to be her Doyeon.

She grips the hem of her shirt, watching Suhyun feed Doyeon a piece of chocolate cake, in which Doyeon cheerfully plays along.

(Kudos to Somi for being president of the student council to know everyone.)

Thankfully, Somi said Suhyun's like that to basically everyone but apparently Suhyun's dating Haein, who's probably the only girl in the world who can tolerate her greasiness.

(Yoojung asked if Somi was a victim of that greasiness. Somi did not answer. Yoojung took that as a yes.)

After seeing Suhyun kiss Doyeon's cheek when cream was smeared "accidentally", Yoojung asked Somi to take her place so that she can get some fresh air (and to stop herself from jumping over the counter and stab Suhyun with a fork.)

Unfortunately, luck was not on her side as Chungha was in the kitchen, drinking the customer's coffee whilst texting her friend Nayoung.

Yoojung attempts to sneak to the exit door, but Chungha notices her anyway.

"Hey, where are you going? You're shift's not done yet."

Yoojung cursed under breath as she faces Chungha.

"Why are you drinking the customer's coffee? We're not allowed to do that unless it's ours."

Chungha raised an eyebrow at her. "I do this all the time. And you didn't even answer my question."

Yoojung bit her lip and stayed silent.

Chungha approaches her and lifts her chin up. "Hey, you okay? Did Somi piss you off again or something? I'll talk to her, don't worry." Chungha then starts to go to Somi, but Yoojung grabs her wrist.

"N-no! Somi didn't do anything."

"Then why do you have that sad puppy face?"

Yoojung glared at her. "I'm not a puppy!"

Chungha rolled her eyes. "Yes you are. You and Somi are my puppies. Somi's a beagle while you're my Yorkshire Terrier." Chungha ruffles her hair, earning a pout from Yoojung.

Chungha always acted like a mother to her and Somi, not to mention she was older and more mature than Yoojung and Somi combined. But sometimes, Yoojung doubts that Chungha's older than her.

"You haven't told me why you're sad again."

Yoojung sighs. 'Ah, it.'

"It's about Doyeon."

1.

2.

3.

Yoojung looks up to Chungha, who was smirking like the Devil she is.

"Someone's flirting with Doyeon, and I don't wanna watch."

Chungha's smirk disappears immediately, replaced by a frown.

"Why don't you confess to her?"

Yoojung's head snapped up. "What?"

"Confess. Confess that you're so whipped for her."

Yoojung hits Chungha by the shoulder. "I'm not whipped for her."

For the second time, Chungha rolls her eyes. "Yeah, not whipped. Viewing her facebook profile, saving her pictures on your phone, eye-ing her when she come to the cafe," Chungha smirks. "Not whipped huh?"

"I don't how are we friends, Chungha."

"Cause you love me."

Yoojung rolled her eyes again as Somi calls out to her to take her shift again. 

"Unnie, it's your turn now."

As Yoojung goes back to the counter, she prays that she won't be seeing Doyeon and Suhyun flirting with each other.

She looks up, and her hopes went down.

She sees Doyeon and Suhyun leaving hands intertwined, laughing like there's no tomorrow.

It breaks Yoojung's heart to see Doyeon smiling at something else. Someone else.

Yoojung doesn't know if she wants a fourth time. But she wishes anyway.

 


 

Apparently, God loved her so much that there was a fourth time.

At the same time, God hated her that she sees Doyeon enter the cafe.

With a man.

It wasn't even her brother. It was her boyfriend, Kim Myungsoo, CEO of Woollim Company.

She glances at Doyeon at the corner of her eye, and immediately regrets it.

She sees Doyeon who kisses Myungsoo's cheek, and the latter kisses her cheek in return.

Yoojung felt tears b her eyes, she wanted to accept reality.

That Doyeon's straight, has a boyfriend, and only sees Yoojung as the barista of the coffee shop she frequents to. Hell, Doyeon probably doesn't even know her name.

But she couldn't. And it hurts.

Chungha noticed this and asked Somi to take over for a while. Somi agreed silently, even though she was curious, she respected the unnie's privacy.

Chungha brought Yoojung to the kitchen. 

"Yoojung."

Yoojung didn't answer.

"Choi Yoojung, look at me."

Yoojung looked up, to see Chungha's sad eyes and furrowed brows. Yoojung's hands reached up to smoothen Chungha's eyebrows.

"Yoojung, I don't want to see you like this."

Yoojung stayed silent.

She hears Chungha sigh. "Come here." Chungha opens her arms wide. And Yoojung hugs her.

And she breaks.

She cries, and cries, and cries. She hugged Chungha so tightly, afraid of losing her. Like how she lost Doyeon.

Chungha was not a person of emotion, but Yoojung felt Chungha cry too. And it made her cry even harder.

She knew she had fallen for Kim Doyeon, hard.

Even if they barely even know each other, love has no boundaries. Yoojung loved everything about Doyeon. Her smile, her scent, her hair, her soft voice, Doyeon was simply perfect.

And Yoojung was just a commoner, a normal person in Doyeon's eyes while Myungsoo is a successful businessman. Myungsoo and Doyeon had a guaranteed future while Yoojung is a working student. 

She tries to accept reality. That she'll never have Doyeon in her arms.

Chungha whispers soothing words to her, but she can't hear anything.

She only hears her heart, her heart that beats only for Doyeon.

Her heart that beats for the impossible to happen.

 


 

The fifth, sixth, and seventh time passed by fast.

But her feelings for Doyeon stayed the same.

Chungha tried to make her feel better, taking her out with Somi, sleepovers with the Jellyfish Gang and Pledis Gang, teasing Somi about her crush on Danielle (who prefers to be called Dani) at school.
 
It took away some of the pain, but the emptiness was still there. 
 
It didn't help much when Myungsoo would order one latte and two straws, making Yoojung's heart clench.
 
Somi would take her shifts more often, silently understanding the situation, albeit not fully.
 
Chungha eventually stopped bringing her to outings, and just resorted to silent support, such as a squeeze of the hand or a warm hug.
 
Somi, on the other hand, would look at Yoojung worriedly, not sure how to approach the girl. She then started to take more shifts, so she can assist Chungha and Yoojung more often.
 
Yoojung was thankful that Chungha and Somi entered her life.
 
But no matter how hard she tried, her eyes always end up on Doyeon, who would be laughing with Myungsoo for what he said.
 
No matter who smiles at her, Doyeon's smile will always be the best for her.
 
No matter how many laughs she hears, Doyeon's laugh will always be music to her ears.
 
No matter how many voices she hears, Doyeon's voice will always be the softest for her.
 
Dear God, when has she become so whipped for Kim Doyeon?
 
Yoojung knows what she's feeling right now.
 
Yoojung's miserable.
 
But she doesn't look away.
 
She wants to see Doyeon smile.
 
She wants to hear Doyeon laugh.
 
She wants to see Doyeon happy.
 
She wants to see Doyeon live.
 
Even if Yoojung's dying inside.
 
She tries not to count, but her mind says otherwise.
 
Eight, ninth, tenth.
 
Fifteenth, twentieth, thirtieth.
 
She barely gets any sleep, she sees Doyeon's ghost smile, haunting her instead of comforting her.
 
She always wishes for the same thing.
 
She wishes for another day of Doyeon living.

And another day of Yoojung dying.

 


 
 
Doyeon's not living.
 
She's not dead, but her soul is.
 
And Yoojung wants to know why.
 
She sees Doyeon entering the cafe alone, and orders nothing but a glass of water. She proceeds to her corner booth, and looks out the window. But she's not smiling.
 
And it pains Yoojung to see that.
 
She just wants to see Doyeon smile, even if Yoojung isn't the cause.
 
She wants to see Doyeon laugh, even if Yoojung's crying.
 
Doyeon will be the sun to her rain.
 
Yoojung wants to approach her, but she's afraid to break her, like a cracked glass, fragile and not entirely broken.
 
"Talk to her."
 
She jumps at the voice, not expecting Somi to speak.
 
"She needs someone, someone who can listen to her. And that someone is you."
 
Yoojung frowned at Somi. "We barely know each other. I can't just talk to her."
 
Somi snorted. "You know almost everything about her. You know which buttons to press. You know how to fix her, and you know you want to."
 
Yoojung stares at Somi, shocked at what she said.
 
Somi scoffed. "I'm not stupid you know. Pick your jaw off the ground."
 
Yoojung closes . "Did Chungha tell you?"
 
Somi raised her eyebrow, a small quirk that Yoojung loved. "She didn't tell me anything. But I got hints when I took your shift for the first time."
 
Yoojung breathed a sigh of relief. 'She wouldn't have to kill Chungha today.'
 
"Just talk to her. Listen to her and comfort her."
 
Yoojung fiddles with her hands. "What if she doesn't like me? Or if she thinks it's weird when I approach her all of the sudden?"
 
Somi deadpanned. "You're just going to talk to her, not propose to her. And heartbroken people need someone, anyone to listen to them."
 
"Does she know me?"
 
Somi didn't respond for a few seconds before answering honestly. 
 
"I don't know."
 
Yoojung sighed. She wanted to comfort Doyeon, to take her mind off all the worries she has. But she didn't know how.
 
"Talk to her." Somi had said. 
 
' it.' Yoojung decided.
 
Yoojung was about to go to Doyeon, when Somi held her wrist and shoved a drink infront of Yoojung's face.
 
"Give this to her."
 
Yoojung raised her eyebrow as she hesitantly accepted the latte from her.
 
Somi, like she read her mind, answered. "It's a special brew. It's originally for Dani, but I figured you needed it more." Somi shuffled in her place, fiddling with her fingers.
 
Yoojung frowned at her. "You didn't have to do this for me, Somi."
 
"Just take it, okay?! I don't want to see you moping around the coffee shop crying about a lost love. As much as I like Dani, you and Chungha unnie come first. Just go, before I change my mind." Somi suddenly yelled, albeit with a lower tone incase customers would overhear.
 
Yoojung was taken aback at the sudden outburst, but smiled as Somi shows her hidden concern for her.
 
Yoojung hugs the taller girl, making Somi stiffen in her place.
 
"You're a sweet girl, you know that?" Yoojung smiles at Somi, who tries to look at anywhere but at Yoojung.
 
"Tch. Just take the goddamn latte and go get your coffee girl." Somi says toughly, which would've been scary if not for the blush coating her cheeks.
 
Yoojung blushes at the comment, punching Somi's shoulder before meeting up to the person who was her source of happiness and sadness, Kim Doyeon.
 
 

 

"Hey."

Yoojung sits infront of Doyeon, who faces at her and gives her a sad smile.

"Hey."

Yoojung places the latte on the table, and pushes it infront of Doyeon.

Doyeon looks at the latte confused, ang grabs the drink.

"It's a special brew."

Doyeon raises her eyebrow, but Yoojung could see the corners of her lips tugging upwards.

Yoojung just wants to see her smile again.

"You looked like you needed it, considering you like lattes..."

"You've been observing me then?"

Yoojung becomes flustered and tries to explain herself, but she instead mumbles out gibberish.

"I, um, I am, but I'm not, I didn't, I wasn't observing you, but I do watch you, but n-no! I'm just..."

Yoojung trails off to the end, and decides to shut up incase she says more to embarrass herself.

She hears chuckling and sees Doyeon staring at her, an amused smile on her face.

Yoojung now focuses on trying to calm her heart that wants to burst out from her ribcage.

"Relax. I don't hate you or anything. It's kinda cute how you're so flustered over a simple question."

Doyeon takes a sip of the latte, and her lips.

Yoojung wanted to kiss those lips. But she controlled herself and pinched her thigh to keep her alive.

Doyeon smiles at her. "It's really good. Did you make this?"

Yoojung wanted to say yes, but she thought of the effort Somi had gone through to make that latte, considering she's a beginner, so Yoojung decided be honest.

"No. My co-worker made it."

Doyeon nods. "Tell her it's really good."

Yoojung nods, a bit disappointed at Doyeon's answer.

"But..."

Yoojung looks up at Doyeon, anticipating her answer.

"I think it would taste better if you made it yourself."

Yoojung wanted to die on her seat.

Doyeon laughed at Yoojung's blushing face, she then reached over and pinched Yoojung's cheeks.

Yoojung felt Doyeon's soft hands pinch her cheeks. Yoojung hated it when Somi or Chungha would pinch her, but with Doyeon, she could let her touch her cheeks forever.

'Whipped.' Yoojung thought.

"You wanna talk about it?" Yoojung fiddled with her fingers.

"Talk about what?" Doyeon asked, confusion lacing her tone.

"About why you looks sad."

Doyeon stayed silent, making Yoojung worried.

"My-my boyfriend broke up with me."

Yoojung wanted to jump on the table and celebrate, but Doyeon goes first.

Besides, she wanted to know why Myungsoo would break up with a girl that defines perfection.

"Why?"

Doyeon was hesistating, and Yoojung felt it.

"Y-you don't have to explain everything-"

"He was marrying someone else."

Yoojung sitffened at the statement. Doyeon's eyes were casted downward, her hair covering her face.

"He said that he was going to marry a woman who was the CEO of the SM Company. Im YoonA was her name, I recall."

"I didn't want to let him go. I loved him, I left my family to be with him, I left my job, because he said he wanted to support me instead."

She felt Doyeon's voice crack, and Yoojung went to her side in an instant, holding her shoulder.

"H-he left me. He ruined me."

She sees tears fall from Doyeon's eyes which alarms Yoojung. Yoojung wanted to wipe the tears away, but she resorts to giving Doyeon a napkin instead.

"Thanks." Was all Doyeon could say as she wiped her tears.

Yoojung patted Doyeon's shoulder. She didn't want to touch Doyeon where she was uncomfortable, so she gave Doyeon the space she needed.

"Maybe I wasn't good enough for him. Maybe I'm just not on his level."

"Maybe I wasn't good enough for him."

"Maybe I'm just not on his level."

To make Doyeon think like that, is despicable.

"He's not on your level."

Doyeon looks at Yoojung, stunned at what she said.

"He doesn't deserve you." 'I do.'

"Leaving you was the worst mistake he has ever done in his life, apart from being born."

She hears Doyeon laugh, a laugh that she wanted to listen to forever.

"Like, is he stupid or something? He just left a goddess for another woman?"

Doyeon gives Yoojung an amused smile. "Goddess, huh?"

Yoojung covers , embarrassed at what she said to describe Doyeon.

"I-It's true! I mean, your smile, is like the sun, and your laugh is so comforting."

Doyeon was stunned at what Yoojung said. And Yoojung continues on.

"You always look at the window, showing off your beautiful side profile. You would speak in a soft voice, softer than pillows."

Yoojung looks up at Doyeon, staring at her eyes.

"You're the most beautiful person I have ever met, so don't let anyone change that."

Doyeon was silent, then she smiled the biggest smile Yoojung has ever seen in her entire life.

"Was that a confession?"

For the second time today, Yoojung gets tongue tied.

Sensing the older about to speak nonsense, Doyeon holds Yoojung's hand, which surprises both of them. Nonetheless, Doyeon speaks out.

"It's a joke, don't worry."

She feels Yoojung tense up and grip her hand.

Doyeon, who was curious, asks Yoojung. "Or was it?"

Yoojung was hanging her head in shame, afraid of Doyeon seeing her blushing face.

Doyeon, being the curious one, pulls Yoojung's chin up.

She sees Yoojung's blushing face, making her laugh.

"Oh my god. You look like a tomato!" Doyeon insults Yoojung, making her pout.

Doyeon sees the pout on Yoojung's face, and can't help but grin at her.

"You're so cute, Yoojung."

Yoojung flinches when she hears her name, not expecting Doyeon to know her.

Doyeon notices this and asks, "It's Yoojung right? Choi Yoojung?"

Yoojung nods, unable to calm her beating heart.

"I'm Kim Doyeon by the way, but I'm assuming you already know me." Doyeon smirks at Yoojung, who blushes even harder.

They hear a phone ringing, coming from Doyeon's phone. Doyeon gets her phone from her pocket, her phone case being a puppy. Yoojung secretly gushes on how cute Doyeon is.

"Hmm? Yeah. Sure. No, I'm not pregnant. off! No, I don't love you. Ugh, are you done yet? Okay, bye." Doyeon ends the call while putting back the phone in her pocket, embarrassed at her conversation with her friend.

"Sorry about that. Heehyun called, saying something along the lines of Suhyun flirting with Chaeyeon and wanting to snap her neck. I prefer no bloodshed in my house, by the way." Doyeon mutters, making Yoojung laugh.

Doyeon stares at Yoojung, before making a statement.

"You should laugh more. It's good to hear."

Yoojung blushes for the nth time, making Doyeon chuckle. 

Doyeon rises up from her seat, bringing Yoojung with her.

"Hey, thanks. For the latte, the comfort, the napkin, for everything." Doyeon smiles at her, in which Yoojung smiles back.

"No problem! I'll be here anytime!" Yoojung grins at her, ecstatic about Doyeon finally being happy.

Yoojung grin was replaced by shock at Doyeon pulls her closer, hugging her.

'ohmygoddoyeon'shuggingmetoallthegodsandsaintsabovewhathaveidoneinthepastlifetodeservethischunghahelpme' Yoojung couldn't think straight at all, and just hugs Doyeon back.

Doyeon then releases her, and holds her by the shoulders.

"I know you will."

Doyeon smiles at her before letting Yoojung go, and proceeds to exit the cafe.

As Doyeon opens the door, she glances back at Yoojung, and gives her a wave.

"I'll be back tomorrow. Bye Yoojung."

Yoojung's stomach does backflips, and waves back.

Doyeon gives her one last smile, before exiting the cafe.

Yoojung stares at her retreating figure, smiles and walks back to the kitchen to see Chungha and Somi trying to choke each other to death.

Chungha notices Yoojung at the door. "Oh you're back." She smirks at her. "Did you get her number?"

Yoojung rolls her eyes and pulls Somi's hands off Chungha's neck. "No, I didn't ask for it and I wasn't planning to."

She proceeds back to the counter when Somi blocks the doorway. Somi moves her face closer to Yoojung's, making Yoojung uncomfortable under her beagle stare.

Somi blinks for a few times before talking. "You look happier."

Yoojung is surprised, and answers back with a smile. "I am."

Somi then grins her signature grin. "That's good. Our Yoojung is back again!" Somi screams, startling Yoojung.

However, Chungha isn't fazed. "DoDaeng is real! Let's celebrate!" Chungha proceeds to get the chocolate cake out of the fridge (with Somi getting some soju earning a fight between her and Chungha) and Yoojung silently slipping away to the counter.

As she takes the order, she looks at the corner booth then at the door.

Yoojung does not wish for another time.

Because she knows Doyeon is there to grant that wish.

 


 

A/N: OH MY GOD IT'S FINALLY DONE YAY *pops some soju*

This is my first ever I.O.I one-shot, and also my first DoDaeng story. It was requested by @hobaemi (check her twitter out, she's cool) and  @JinSu09 and @VitaniniBae helped me (THEY LITERALLY FLOODED MY TWITTER WITH DODAENG IT WAS HORRIBLY GOOD)

I hope you like it, and give more suggestions (I'm trying to write 6 more fanfics because of JinSu09, it's so freaking hard)

Please support I.O.I and give money to Pledis (BECAUSE THEY POOR AF)