An Intruder-Guest

When the Dust Settles

It's currently 7pm. The sun's just beginning to set, its orange glow casting weird shadows over your apartment.

The doorbell had rang for the third time before you begrudgingly pushed youself off the couch. You comforted yourself with the thought that Kris was coming home soon. You had spent the entire day in delusion, hoping that if you pretended that everything was like normal, this moment would not happen, and the dreaded doorbell wouldn't be real.

It didn't work. It rang for the fourth time, jolting you back into reality.

You scoffed to yourself, realising how ridiculous and stupid you were. No excitement stirred from you, as would a normal host be when she's expecting guests, just bouts of anxiety and fear of what might happen. Your inner devil sassed you for ever responding to that message, and secretly you agreed, regretting ever agreeing to this visit.

No matter what now, it was going to happen anyway. You dragged yourself towards fate, feet sliding heavily across the floor.

You pulled open the front door.

'Heeeyyy, wassup?' An all too familiar voice drawls out. 

You take in the image the intruding man, from his dark brown hair to his sheepish grin plastered across his face. It was just as you had remembered him. Internally, you sighed. Despite looking like a complete vagabond, with his large red backpack and a heavy-looking suicase, Lee Jaehwan still looked like the giant man-child from the past.

'Hello, Jaehwan.' You greeted stiffly, opening the door wider. 'Come in.'

Jaehwan's luggage hits the floor with a dull thud. You winced, clenching your fists in withdrawn horror, silently praying to all the gods in heaven that Jaehwan would not break anything in this house. The last thing you need was a reason for your landlord to evict you out onto the streets. Jaehwan turns back, still grinning that stupid grin, then turns and observes the living room, bumping his luggage everywhere.

'So uh, Canada. What a great place to be now, right?' Jaehwan ravels, pushing apart the curtains to look out. Your apartment was by the street, overlooking a little shopping area where it is bustling with activity. It was beginning to snow, a soft layer of white dusted gently over the quiet suburb you live in. You hear him making soft oohs, eyes lighting up like a child in front of a toy display. If Jaehwan was not clad in this large down jacket but in a school uniform, he was pretty much the same excitable kid, bursting with curiosity and energy. The warmth of nostalgia hits you and as quick as they came, it was replaced with irk. Memories were pleasant, but you are not sure if Jaehwan's the same person anymore.

You make your way towards him. 'Please, have a seat.' You gestured towards the couch. Jaehwan drops contentedly onto the couch, heaving a huge sigh, his backpack slumped on the floor. You poured him a glass of water and set it in front of him. He mumbles a thank you and downs large gulps.

You had so many questions waiting to escape from the tip of your tongue, but the more you thought about it the more this moment feels unreal, like a dream. You moved towards the couch and sat down beside him.

'So.. what's going on with you? Why are you in Canada now? What about the-' You held yourself back before asking too much. 'I-I mean, what happened to you?'

Jaehwan simply laughs.'Whoa whoa slow down detective, can't an old friend just pop by in his travels?' He nudges you comically. 

You don't reply, only cocking up a sceptical eyebrow, and he laughs again.

'But you look like you're moving here,' you accused him, pointing at all his baggage. Now that you are looking at it, it was probably not someone who was 'travelling around'. 

'I'm a hoarder, y'know. Can't help but collect everything.' Jaehwan scratches the back of his head. 

For some reason you can't seem to feel convinced with everything that he's said. Perhaps some parts of Jaehwan was still the same, the part where he refused to let people near his thoughts or even his life.

No, it shouldn't be a concern of yours now.

You decided to change the subject. 'Well, I think I should show you around. Come, I'll show you to your room.' You stood up, smiling at him. 'By the way, it's great to have met you again. I think I wouldn't have ever met you again if not for Facebook.' You pulled him into a friendly hug.

Jaehwan smiles, not replying. He follows behind you, and you don't catch him taking a long glance at the photo you had with Kris framed beside the TV.