Final

Let Me Be The Portable Heater You'll Get Cold Without

Tired.
He was incredibly tired
Of his freaking phone. Why was it always ringing?
Because he had work to do. 
“What?” he sighed in a low voice. 
“Kyungsoo. Come to the laboratory. We need you. The war is coming soon.”
World War VII.
Already.
Because some countries wanted power and fame. 
They wanted to be recognized as great populations. 
Because they wanted to become rich as hell.
The small man who was only twenty-three sighed another time, gathering all the things he needed before heading to his work place, his big eyes heavy because of the lack of sleep. 
How can you sleep when you know some people will probably die because of you?
How can you sleep when you know a world war is scheduled?
Closing the door behind him, Kyungsoo rearranged his dark bangs with his pale hands before stuffing his arms inside his green coat. 
The petite male got inside his vehicle and headed to the end of the world in silence, his heart-shaped lips tight on his sweet face. 
♦
“Some soldiers need to be repaired,” he had been told. 
That was his job. 
To repair people. And give them special things which make warriors more incredible. 
“They will have to be strong because of the modern weapons,” his boss had ordered with flaming eyes. 
“Understood,” he had answered. 
He needed this to get done as soon as possible. 
The war was coming. 
But when?
Maybe he should hurry. 
So he got inside his office, putting his papers down on his huge desk covered with metal pieces.
“Room 0114,” he murmured to himself, putting on his white lab jacket. 
He made his way to the said room, mumbling under his breath. 
He opened the gray door, sliding it to the right, before entering the small hospital area. 
A man was lying on the bed in the middle of the place.
He seemed exhausted with his half-lidded eyes and his messy chocolate hair. He was tanner than normal, and was taller than the doctor. 
“Kim Jongin,” Kyungsoo spoke up. 
The one who had been called sat up with a groan before making eye contact with his savior, a cheeky smile adorning his thick lips. 
“Hello, Do Kyungsoo-ssi,” he whispered with his warm tone.
“How… How do you know my name?” Kyungsoo questioned, bits of surprise and curiosity tainting his intonation. 
“I should know the name of the man who saved my life, right?” he chimed lightly, still smiling. 
Shocked by the sentence of the android which he had repaired, the short human opened his mouth, but didn’t know what to say. 
“I have to thank you for your work, Kyungsoo-ssi.”
“I… It’s my job. I mean, it’s a… pleasure, I guess? I’ll need to check if everything is okay. We androidized all your left body parts, after all. How do you feel, Jongin-ssi?”
“My body feels heavy.”
“It’s okay. You’ll get used to it,” Kyungsoo confirmed, writing some information on Jongin’s papers. 
“I think being androidized is a good thing. Because I had the chance to meet you again,” the half human, half robot declared.
Kyungsoo eyed him with a strange feeling of protectiveness, observing Jongin’s left eye which was now made of metal and glass. 
He made more tests with the new being by asking a few medical questions before declaring his statement. 
“Everything seems perfect. You’ll be ready to go back on field sooner than I thought…,” he mumbled with what looked like sadness. 
The other was too busy looking at Kyungsoo to reply. His hero was way too cute to not look at. The tan man smiled again.
“…in? Jongin-ssi, are you listening?”
“Huh? Oh, I’m sorry Kyungsoo-ssi. What were you saying?”
“Come with me,” the doctor hummed slowly, his lips now stretched up in a heart shape.
Jongin possibly got blind. 
♦
His phone was ringing again
But the war had started. 
Kyungsoo answered the call mindlessly, putting his pen down on his desk. 
“Yes? Do Kyungsso here.”
“Kyungsoo-ssi? Kim Jongin-ssi…”
He didn’t let the caller finish his sentence.
“How is he? Is he awake?” the small savant demanded. 
“Yes. He just woke up. He wants to see you.”
“Ok. I’m coming,” he stated before getting up, almost ending the conversation. 
“He’s now in his cage. Number 1214.”
Kyungsoo nodded his head even though the older man could not see him and closed his phone, walking rapidly towards his destination. 
♦
“Jongin…ssi?” Kyungsoo mouthed with slight fear. 
No answer. 
The smart doctor was situated in front of a bird cage. But the bird cage was much bigger than normal. It could contain many creatures at the same time. Anything (even a dinosaur) could fit in it. 
The man with owl eyes got closer to the huge structure made of iron bars, but let out a not-so-manly cry after hearing a loud sound. Now shaking with terror, the human was unable to move forward anymore. 
“Do Kyungsoo-ssi?”a tiny voice asked in the darkness which surrounded him. 
“…”
Kyungsoo lifted his head towards the android’s tone, relieved but shocked at the same time.
Jongin was beautiful. He was shining under a small light, seated on a giant swing. 
With wings behind his back.
Immense wings made of metal appeared behind his frame, like if the warrior was an angel coming from a different universe. 
“Are… Are they heavy?” asked the older with worry, swallowing his saliva with difficulty. 
“No. They are incredibly light. Again, thank you. You did an amazing job.”
“I… I don’t really know what to say. I’m… not—“
“Kyungsoo-ssi.”
The younger’s voice seemed much clearer than before. Kyungsoo’s eyes went to find Jongin’s, and he moved back in surprise. 
Jongin fell from the swing, opened wide his new body parts and began to fly.
He flew inside his cage.
To land in front of him. 
An enormous wave of wind attacked him, and Kyungsoo fell to the ground. 
“Kyungsoo-ssi!” shrieked Jongin, trying to unlock his prison’s door with his new abilities. 
Unfortunately, the cage’s materials were stronger than the android, so Jongin could only watch his savior with concern. 
“I’m fine, don’t worry about me,” Kyungsoo smiled, closing his eyes tiredly.
He got up on his feet again, coming closer with tiny steps. 
“Are you… scared of me?” Jongin stuttered, a frown on his face. 
“N-No! I’m… I’m not, please don’t think I’m scared of you…”
Kyungsoo then entered the code for the cage’s door to open, and the colossal architecture submitted to his order. 
Before even noticing it, Jongin jumped on him, caging him with his firm arms. 
And with his inhuman wings.
“I’m glad I’m right-handed,” Jongin stated, his voice muffled because of Kyungsoo’s hair. 
“And why is that?” said the smaller, butterflies swimming in his belly. 
“I can’t feel my left hand anymore. But I think using my right hand is comfortable. Because I can feel Kyungsoo-ssi’s body heat with my right hand,” he explained, his teeth showing. 
Jongin let his hand travel to Kyungsoo’s ebony mane and dived in, loving the silky touch. 
Kyungsoo-ssi saved me. So from now on, I’ll protect Kyungsoo-ssi,” he declared, whispering each word with full meaning. 
Startled by the younger’s revelation, Kyungsoo put his small arms around Jongin’s waist, feeling his fake feathers getting closer around him. 
Me too. I’ll protect you too, Jongin-ssi.”
♦
He tried to escape. Really.
But it was entirely useless
Kyungsoo ran with all the energy which was left in his body, trying to avoid dangerous bullets. 
The surprise attack didn’t surprise him. 
After all, he had had to repair Jongin because the latter had been a victim of a surprise attack. 
He felt his heart beating madly inside his chest, soft puffs of air coming out of his mouth. 
He fell to the ground in less than two, already feeling worn out. 
It was over. The war was now bloodier than ever. 
He was scared. 
Because Jongin was fighting for their country. 
Fighting for freedom. 
But even if Kyungsoo had repaired him, he couldn’t help but feel scared. 
Maybe he liked his android a little too much. 
The doctor put his hands on his ears. 
He didn’t want to hear the gun shots anymore. 
“Help me…,” he murmured, feeling the tears in the corner of his eyes. 
“…Soo? Do Kyungsoo-ssi?”
Even if he was trying to block any sound, he could still hear his precious one’s voice anywhere. 
“J-Jongin-ssi? How… How can you be h-here?”
“I told you… Didn’t I?”
Kyungsoo then turned to look at him, and screamed on top of his lungs
Jongin’s body was pierced by many weapons, blood and other substances falling from s. His wings were collapsing behind him, some feathers missing parts. 
He looked terrible. 
But he was smiling.
“I told you I’d protect you.”
Jongin got quickly on his knees, his eyes unfocused. He slid into Kyungsoo’s arms massively, unable to stand up. 
“J-Jongin-ssi… No… No! Get-Get up! Go to the lab, just—I’ll save you. I’ll fix you again! Let me—!”
“Do… Kyungsoo…,” Jongin tried speaking. 
The older didn’t dare to talk, wanting the taller one to say what was wrong.
Jongin slowly lifted his trembling hand. 
His right one.
He put it on Kyungsoo’s hair, patting it lightly. 
It’s… really fortunate. That I’m right-handed,” he finished in a single breath.
Kyungsoo strengthened his grip on Jongin’s upper body, not believing what was happening. 
Jongin closed his eyes calmly
“No…”
Jongin still smiled.
“G-Get up…”
Jongin
“WAKE UP, KIM JONGIN!”
But the android was not answering Kyungsoo’s calls. 
The smaller man cried in pain, falling on Jongin’s dead body
He sniffed softly, smelling gun powder. 
“Okay.”
He heard more horrific sounds. 
“Then…”
The war was near. 
I’ll protect you, Jongin-ssi. I’ll die with you, so we’ll meet again in paradise.”