The Masquerade Ball

Credence

     “Maybe I should just stay home,” Kim said, observing herself in the mirror. She had on a red and black iridescent chiffon dress, which shone when the light hit it. It hugged her body comfortably from her chest to her waist, and flowed freely to her ankles from the waist down. The mask she wore was black with a few short, red feathers on the right side. Long, red gloves covered her elbows to the tips of her fingers. And her hair flowed behind her in thick, dark curls, the top half tied.

 

     “What are you talking about, Kim?” Melissa asked. “You look gorgeous!”

 

     “Yeah, yeah,” Kim said, waving her hand. “Flattery will get you nowhere!”

 

     “Kim, come on,” Melissa begged. “We already have everything done! I worked hard to get you to agree on everything. Don’t ruin it for me! Please?” Melissa wore a similar type dress; except hers was black and green, and the bottom half of her dress was a bit puffier. Her mask was green as well and had to be held in place with a long, slender stick.

 

     “Fine, fine, fine,” Kim said, turning around to face her. “I guess I shouldn’t waste the time you put in to make sure I was in excruciating pain, but still pretty.”

 

    “That’s the spirit!” Melissa said. “Let’s go! We’re gonna be late.”

 

 

 

 

     “Matt, you owe me,” Gerald muttered as he looked at himself in the second part of his dressing room where all the walls are covered with mirrors to show him what he looks like from every angle. He’s wearing a creamy white suit with a white, collared polo underneath it. He wore a black bow tie to match his black dress shoes. The white trousers he wore matched everything including his white mask that covered most of his face, only revealing his lips and left cheek. He then topped everything off with a black fedora.

 

     “Or— hopefully you’ll realize this—you owe me,” Matt said. He was wearing a black tux with matching black dress shoes and a black mask.

 

     “Nothing—absolutely nothing is going to happen during this ball that will make me owe you anything,” Gerald shot at him. “Unless someone mistakes you for Zorro without a cape.”

 

     “You never know, Ge, you just might find happiness,” Matt said, putting an arm around his shoulders. “Maybe happiness just for tonight or maybe happiness for the rest of your life.”

 

     “What?” he asked, turning to face him. Huh. If only Gerald knew what Matt meant at the moment. But do not fret for he will. He will eternally thank his best friend for the gift he is about to receive.

 

 

 

 

     When the cousins arrived at the venue, the place was already full. It was fairly dark with multicolored laser lights going all over the place. And, of course, a party isn’t a party without a disco ball. A live band played on a rather large stage and Melissa dragged her cousin on the dance floor.

 

     A few songs later, Kim felt a bit thirsty. “Mel, I’ll be right back,” she said. “I’m gonna go get something to drink.”

 

     “Bring one for me, too, yeah?” Melissa asked. “I’ll go find us a table.”

 

     “Okay,” Kim said, her heels and walked over to the buffet table.

 

 

 

 

     “Where do you think you’re going?” Gerald asked when he noticed that Matt started walking toward the dance floor.

 

     “Hot babe,” he answered impatiently. “You’re gonna make me lose her!”

 

     “Jerk just ditched me,” Gerald said to himself, not believing what his cousin just did. “He drags me here and leaves me.”

 

     He turned around and leaned on the table. When he glanced to his left and saw the punch bowl, he immediately felt thirsty. He then began threading his way through the thick crowd. “Excuse me, pardon me, excuse me,” he said to several people before he reached the other side with a great lunge forward. And that lunge sent him—and a very pretty woman with a drink in each hand—toppling on the floor.

 

     “I’m sorry, miss,” Gerald said immediately. “I am so sorry.” Again he helped up the beautiful lady that was lying under him on the floor. He thought for sure that he was gonna get a kick in the shin when he slipped on the spilled drink and fell on top of her again while she was getting up. But then he heard her snickering—and then giggling! He looked at the woman below him as her giggles turned into laughter. And before he knew it, he was laughing along with her.

 

     “Why are you laughing?” she asked him in between giggles.

 

     “I don’t know,” he said chuckling. “Why are you laughing?”

 

     She laughed even harder. “I can’t— I can’t b—hahahahah.” She just couldn’t control her laughter anymore. So Gerald just laughed along.

 

     After their laughter subsided, Gerald finally got up and helped up the beautiful lady who was lying flat on the floor. He could partially see a darker shade of red on her already red dress because of the punch. He wasn’t as lucky, though. He could see a dark red stain on his left sleeve and left pant leg. “Ooh,” the woman said, cringing.

 

     “It’s okay,” Gerald said. “It was my fault anyway.”

 

     “Don’t worry,” she said, reaching for her purse. “I can get that out with an old family recipe.” She got out a small spray bottle and sprayed both stains and dabbed them with a napkin. Soon, both stains were reduced to two, light pink circles. “There! Good as new. Well, almost.”

 

     “Thanks,” Gerald said, looking at the two faded, pink stains. “That’s amazing! You carry that around with you?”

 

     “Yeah, my grandma’s awesome,” she said with a giggle. “I take this with me everywhere. My cousin Melissa’s a stain waiting to happen.”

 

     ‘Why does she sound so familiar?’ Gerald thought to himself. “I’m Gerald, by the way,” he said, holding out his hand.

 

     “Kim,” she said taking it. “You know, this is the second time this happened to me today?”

 

     “Yeah?” Gerald asked, not believing it.

 

     “Yeah!” Kim said and giggled again. Then it finally hit Gerald.

 

     “Wait,” he said, realizing it. “That was y—?“

 

     “Excuse me, everyone,” the DJ said through the microphone, his voice echoing through the entire building. “May I have your attention, please?”

 

     Kim’s head swiftly turned to the right to look at the DJ, but Gerald’s stare never left her. “This is a little something I’d like to call ‘Mystery Mingling,’” the DJ said. “Guys, I want you to look for the girl standing or sitting closest to you and ask her to dance.”

 

     Excitement and happiness was immediately visible in Gerald’s eyes as he held his hand out to the amazing woman in front of him. “May I have this dance, Kim?”

 

     Kim’s head turned back to him, her gaze falling onto his eyes. Even if she couldn’t see most of his face, she felt calm seeing those deep, soft, gentle, brown eyes. Her gaze then fell on his out held hand and she took it. “Of course you may,” she said, ever so gently, taking his hand.

 

     As soon as his hand closed in on hers, the DJ played ‘No Ordinary Love’ by: MYMP, as if on cue. The lights turned white and a pale blue and dimmed. He guided her hands behind his neck and s his own at the small of her back. They slowly swayed to the music as they gazed into each other’s eyes. The fact that he was a complete stranger was gnawing at the back of Kim’s mind, but right now she doesn’t care. She felt safe, calm, and content in Gerald’s arms, and she didn’t want it to end. That’s why she was suddenly confused when Gerald pulled back.

 

     “Come on,” he said, pulling her hand.

 

     “Where are we going?” Kim asked as they dodged person after person in the crowd. But Gerald did not respond.

 

     When Gerald stopped pulling her by her hand, she found that they were in a garden. Paper lanterns scattered in the trees high above them, giving their surroundings a romantic, dim glow. “What are we doing here?”  Kim asked as Gerald pulled her into the gazebo.

 

     “I thought you might have wanted to get some fresh air,” he said. “And tear away from that crowd for a while.”

 

     She walked over to the bench and placed her purse down, she didn’t want it to be a burden. “Hmm,” Kim said silently, tilting her head to the side.

 

     “What?” Gerald asked.

 

     “Are you like a mind reader or something?” Kim asked.

 

     “Nope,” Gerald said. “Though I wish I was, I am not. I can’t read minds—just actions.”

 

     “’Actions?’” Kim asked.

 

     “’Actions,’” he repeated, walking behind her. “For example: the way you have your arms crossed and having both hands rubbing them up and down tells me you’re cold.” Gerald then put his arms around her. “That also tells me that you want some warmth—like what this hug is giving you.”

 

     Kim smiled. She was happy that it was sort of dark and that she was wearing a mask. She didn’t want Gerald seeing her blush profusely. She then placed her hands on his arms.

 

     “That,” he said referring to her hands, “tells me that I’m right. And that you’re enjoying every second of it.” Gerald then put his chin on her exposed shoulder. “Don’t look so relieved either,” he whispered in her ear. “The light may be dim, but I can still see you blushing.”

 

     Kim turned her head to face him, their faces centimeters away, and both of their lips were slightly parted. She tilted her head slightly to the left and she saw that Gerald did, too. Slowly, she closed her eyes and leaned in closer and closer— but she pulled away at the last second, walking a few steps away from him, leaving a disappointed Gerald.

 

     “The way that you looked me in the eyes,” Kim began, “told me that you wanted to kiss me. And the disappointed look in your eyes after I pulled away tells me that I was right.”

 

     “Hmm,” Gerald grunted, grinning, “not bad. You left me hanging there.”

 

     “You left me hanging, too,” Kim complained.

 

     “You were the one who pulled back,” Gerald said, laughing. “After seducing me like that; that should be a freaking crime!”

 

     “Not that, silly!” Kim giggled. “Inside! I was all feeling the moment—but then you had to go ahead and pull back!”

 

     “I thought you said you wanted to go outside as well?” Gerald asked, confused, moving closer to her again.

 

     “Well, couldn’t you at least have finished the song before taking me to the next romantic stop?” Kim asked, eyeing him.

 

     Gerald chuckled and wrapped his arms around her waist. “We can still finish it up, you know?” he asked.

 

     “I guess you do have a point,” Kim said, placing her hands back behind his neck.

 

     The two of them then began to sway again, to the music that only they could hear. Kim was back in his arms—where she felt safe. She then leaned her head on his chest, savoring every moment. Just when the song playing in their minds was drawing to an end, Kim looked up into Gerald’s eyes. He stared back into hers, slowly leaning down, lower and lower, until their lips finally met. At that moment, time itself, stopped. At first, Kim’s eyes were as wide as saucers, but when she felt Gerald’s lips starting to move, her eyelids slowly closed shut. When Gerald felt Kim relax, he took the opportunity to make the kiss deeper, his tongue delving deeper and deeper into . His hands, pulling her closer to him—if that was even possible.

 

     “Mmm,” she moaned. Never before in her young life has she heard that noise come from her—and that woke her back up to reality.What am I doing?’ She thought to herself.

 

     ‘I don’t know, but whatever it is, it’s amazing!’

 

     ‘No! Kim, this is wrong! Pull away!’ She argued with herself.

 

     ’Oh, come on,’ she thought to herself.Just a few more minutes.’

 

     ‘No! Kimmy you don’t even know him!’

 

     ‘Sure I do! This is Gerald!’

 

     ‘Kimberly, this is wrong and you know it. You better pull back right this instant!’

 

     ‘Alright, alright! Fine! I guess you’re right.' She brought her hands down to his chest and tried to push him away, but it was like pushing a brick wall. “Mmm,” she said, struggling this time.

 

     Finally, Gerald pulled back. He didn’t let go of her, though; he was still holding onto her waist; his face, only barely an inch away from hers. “What’s wrong?”

 

     “I—I’m sorry,” Kim stuttered, pulling away from his grasp. “I have to go.”

 

     She ran back inside as fast as she could, Gerald tailing right behind her, calling her name. “Kim!” he called. “Kim, wait! Please!” But by the time her got there, Kim had already disappeared into the crowd. He tried to find her, asking random people if they had seen someone wearing a red dress and was running, but to no avail.

 

     As soon as Kim stepped inside, she went to look for her cousin. “Mel!” she said when she finally found her.

 

     “Kim!” her cousin exclaimed. “I’ve been waiting here for the drink you said you were gonna get, but never did.”

 

     “Can we go home now, please?” Kim asked her.

 

     “Yeah, sure,” Melissa said, immediately standing up, hearing the urgency in her voice. But before she took off, she turned to a man sitting beside her that Kim hasn’t noticed before. “Well, I have to go, Matt. By the way, this is my cousin, Kim.”

 

     “Hello, Kim,” he said, shaking her hand. “I’ve heard many great things about you. Unfortunately, not trusting guys isn’t one of them.”

 

     Kim giggled. “Well, I’m sorry to hear that, but I trust that everything else was good?”

 

     “Yeah,” Matt said laughing.

 

     “Here,” Melissa said, handing him a napkin. “Call me!”

 

     “Oh, trust that I will,” he said pocketing the napkin. “I’ll see you girls later.”

 

 

 

 

     “Sorry, Mel,” Kim said as they rode home in a cab.

 

     “What for?” she asked.

 

     “You looked like you were having fun with that Matt guy and I had to pull you away from that?” Kim explained.

 

     “Oh, it’s okay, hun,” Melissa said. “You looked really tired.”

 

     “Yeah,” Kim said, “tired. I’m probably just tired.”