Chapter 8

The Darkest of Minds

“I’ve felt it since we walked up to the building,” I agreed. Something was odd about the path we took up from the landing site but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Everything that had happened so far had felt like foreshadowing.

We all sat there quietly until the silence was disrupted when Seungho ran in.

“There’s been a disturbance down at the harbor, Mr Young wants us to meet him and instructor Jung there.”

I stood up ready to follow him when he looked at me and said, “Not you Yongsun, Mr. Young wanted you to stay here with Dr. Kang in case anything happens.”

I nodded but knew I was probably being left behind because of my gender. Dujun and Myungsoo followed Seungho out of the dining room. I decided to go and find Dr. Kang to see if she knew what was happening. Luckily for me I didn’t have to go far as she was standing in the lobby looking out. She looked worried, her forehead wrinkled. I was surprised to find it was pouring outside, the sky was grey and cloudy.

“What’s happening out there,” I asked as I walked up behind her. She jumped, startled.

“Oh, it’s you Yongsun, I’m not quite sure. From what I heard some people may have arrived at the harbor by boat. The weather here is terrible, who knows what the sea is like. I hope everyone is okay.” She turned back to stare at the path, waiting for someone to appear.

“I should go and get the medical kits in case anyone needs it,” she stated abruptly. I nodded and watched her walk towards the back of the lobby and through an ornate door which was likely the office Mr. Young had been talking about.

I stood there for a couple more minutes, watching the path for signs of movement. The rain was pouring harder than before. Thinking ahead I decided to find some towels to help dry everyone off. I headed towards the lobby office to inform Dr. Kang of my plans, I pushed open the door only to find the small dusty office empty…

I had seen Dr. Kang walk in here but I didn’t hear her leave the room, the door hinges let out a squeak every time the door was opened and closed. Where had she gone? turned and headed out of the room towards the industrial laundry I had seen on our first day. The room was large and everything had a metallic sheen. There was a big stack of towels right by the door that looked clean so I grabbed everything I could and brought it to the lobby which was still empty. Placing the towels on the large entrance desk I headed back to the front doors.

There was a chill in the air now. I heard some rustling behind me, I turned suddenly but there was nothing there. The rustling stopped as if knowing I was watching. It started again, further down in the hallway heading to the back where the kitchens were.

“Hello?” I called out in a loud voice, trying to seem less creeped out than I was. Silence was my only answer. Then the rustling started again.

I had two choices at this point, one would be to stay right here in the grey light and wait in safety for Dr. Kang or the others to arrive. The other choice was to head towards the kitchens and identify the sound of the source. I wanted to stay in safety but that’s not what a detective would do. It was likely Dr. Kang back there gathering supplies but a nagging feeling told me she would have answered if it was her.

I took one small step towards the hallway and then another. I soon found myself in the dimly lit hallway with the dining room and kitchen in front of me. The rustling had stopped making it hard to identify where it had come from. I peeked into the dining room first as it had the best visibility with not a lot of furniture in the way. Empty. I sighed to myself, that left the large kitchen.

The lights in the kitchen were off. I debated with turning them on, that would be the smart thing to do. Just when I was reaching for the light switch the rustling started again. It wasn’t coming from the kitchen but to the left. I turned and saw a dark hallway I hadn’t really taken note of when we first arrived. There was a door at the end of the hallway but nothing else. I headed towards it and reached for the door. As I grabbed the doorknob a hand clamped down on my shoulder and I let out a small gasp.