Chapter 1

The Six of Them

 

 

 

The house is quiet and an empty feeling floating around the sad atmosphere across the area.

 

I sigh for the third time this morning. I slowly open the front door, once again glancing the whole living room with a sullen expression adorning my face.  

 

No wonder I woke up this morning with the sound of my alarm clock. It was supposed someone else to wake me up before the alarm clock make its sound.

 

My grandmother's voice and soft touches always pull me out from sleep but she has gone to somewhere else, a place that is nice from this world.

 

Heaven is always waiting for her and finally heaven doesn't have to wait for her anymore. 

 

_____________________________

 

 

 

"Hey Rosé! Long time no see- eh eh WAIT UP!" (A/N: Rosé is my oc not from BlackPink lol ;) )

 

Someone is calling my name is it?

 

The sound of music is blasting through my headphones as I walk along the corridor full of students.

 

A hand is suddenly grabbing my shoulder, abruptly stopping me from walking away. I turn around to face the person who I expected already, mostly because of his unique voice.

 

"Didn't you hear me? I was calling you so many times until my throat is burning right now. You see this."

 

He starts to demonstrate by coughing with his made up hoarse voice. I'm already immune with his antics so I turn around to start walking away, ignoring him again.

 

"Hey Rosé! I didn't finish talking with you yet!"

 

He block my way by standing in front of me, spreading his arms with a stern face but as always, a cute face can never scare me.

 

I click the stop button on my phone's screen and the music stops. I let the headphones hanging over my neck while tilting my head to the side as I wait for his next action.

 

"Finally you're listening to me. Fyuh.. I am so worried and missed you like I almost dying here! How many weeks did you not come to school? Three weeks for God's sake! I've got no friends when you're not around, you didn't even bother to reply or even read my messages, you freaking ended my calls without hearing me out and you locked your damn door!! I have no buddy to buy me ice cream that I like.." He pouts after his rants, finally.

 

"Oh hey bro!"

 

He got distracted, as always, with a friend of his while making handshake with the guy.

 

After the guy walk away, he turns his attention back to me.

 

"I missed you so much! But shh.. that dude helps me out with my homework. He is just an acquaintance of mine that wants my Kenbooty so don't worry! You're still my number one best friend ever!!"

 

He grins and hugs me tightly, snuggling his face into the crook of my neck. The closeness makes the headphones nearly fall down but before that I grab it.

 

A few seconds passed and his hug softening to a comfortable hug. I heard soft sniffles from him.

 

He whispers to my ear with a crack voice, "I'm sorry about your grandmother. She was a great person. I understand your feelings so don't run away from me ever again, okay?"

 

He pats on my back like how someone comforting a child in distress. Everyone knows how he is a hugger and a kind soul who will lend a hand to anyone in trouble. He has done a lot for me so I don't want to be a burden for him again. I want to be independent so that he can be dependent to me sometime and ask help like I always did to him.

 

"You can talk to me whenever you want. I'm always here for you, Rosé." 

 

He continues talking as he let me go with a  smile that always melt my heart. He is always there for me but I'm not always there for him. I feel guilty.

 

"I'm fine, Jaehwan."

 

For the passed weeks that I cried for days, ignoring his presence yet here he is, throwing himself at me with a genuine smile. I have been thinking a lot during those days I locked myself up after my grandma's funeral.

 

Jaehwan is my childhood best friend since I was 7 years old. He always the one to protect me from the trouble that I have done.

 

I'm the problematic child while he is the saint child.

 

I always causes trouble and he always helps me out, apologizing when needed and never lay his fingers on anyone that was the wrong one.

 

Jaehwan always solved my problems like a mature man yet he acts like a child when he is with me. I understand him and I know how to predict his next actions, but there is one thing I still can't understand about him.

 

 

Why did he choose to care about me so much?  

 

 

I push his hands aside, bowing to him slightly before I walk away.

 

 

He didn't call me after that, only watching me from afar as I put my headphones back without playing any music this time.

 

_____________________________

 

 

 

The lessons going by without any assignment given to me and that's a relief for me but still I feel guilty. Jaehwan did all my assignments when I'm absent from school, I predicted it already. So that's why he needs help with his homework from the other guy.

 

How I know it? Well, thankfully my nice homeroom teacher told Jaehwan's good deeds for me after English class ended. She didn't reported about it as she is one the most understanding teacher in this school.

 

She let Jaehwan did all that because he even pleaded to her to keep it as a secret.

 

I frown and let a deep sigh.

 

 

He is too good for me.

 

 

"But, tomorrow you will start your homework as usual."

 

 

I nod and leave the empty classroom.

 

 

_____________________________

 

 

 

During lunch break, Jaehwan sits across from me in the cafeteria with our lunch boxes in between us. He shares his lunch box with me.

 

He told me about his escapade during chemistry lesson which he got caught by a discipline teacher at the male toilet for skipping class. Well, he said that lesson was boring because he already learnt it before.

 

I wonder when...

 

He even told me how he lied to the discipline teacher that he has a stomache so he stayed in the toilet for a few minutes to help clear off the unpleasant smell of his 'business' for the sake of other students.

 

No doubt that the teacher accepted his excuses and pinched his nose as he fleet away from the toilet.

 

Jaehwan knows how to make tricks work. I shake my head slightly with a chuckle.

 

Everyone thought that Jaehwan never lie to anyone but when he did, they always thought because Jaehwan must have done that to help someone else. He is just too kind for anyone yet mischievous at the same time.

 

Yes. Everyone knows that Jaehwan is a little mischievous kid but his pranks are nothing too serious. Just a kid prank, they said. Nothing harm from this cute innocent boy.

 

Oh how wrong they are.

 

Jaehwan does have innocent body but his mind is not completely innocent. He knows some ert stuff and even acts a little ert towards me, only me and that's weird.

 

He knows when people wants to befriend him to ruin his innocence so he makes it up to his advantages. He knows how to read people so he always been cautious with others except for me.

 

Always me that he acts differently.

 

 

I wonder why...