The Past Tends to Haunt

Through the Eyes of the Beholder

Send. 

Locking his phone, Jimin caught his refection smiling back at him. Only Jungkook was able to make him smile such a goofy looking smile. It had been so long since he'd seen himself smile, the sight was foreign to him now.  

How long had it been since he was truly happy? 

He couldn't dwell on the subject as the phone began to ring. Jungkook. It had to be Jungkook. 

You've gotten bolder, over the years, I see.

Grabbing the phone, his happy mood plummeted. "Work". 

Swiping the call button, he didn't have time to speak as the voice of the real Jiyong came over the speaker. 

"Boss. We have a problem." 

~

Hey, Jungkook. Whenever you are free, and would want to explore more of the town, just let me know; I'm more than happy to spend more time with you, as I enjoy your company. Thank you, also, for the great day. I do believe it was great, more so because of you rather than myself. That being said, I bid you goodnight and sweet dreams. :) 

Jungkook couldn't help the wide smile that spread across his face. 

What was this sudden luck? How could something so wonderful be happening to him after everything? Could this even be too good to be true? 

He shook his head. Don't get ahead of yourself, Jungkook, he chastised himself, you know better than this. 

Sighing, he lifted himself from his bed and his bedside lamp as he went to the bookshelf. Grabbing the all-too-familiar slick casing of his journal, he sat back down on the bed and began to write. 

 

July 16, 2016

 

Journal, 

 

'Lately, I have had these... Feelings; feelings I haven't had for over nine years.

 

'I do believe you know what I am referring to. '

 

He sighed.

 

'I still feel chills every time I remember my time with... Him. Although, if I'm being completely honest, times weren't all bad. In fact... I tend to look back on them with a feeling of awe and fondness that could only come from being completely overwhelmed with another. '

 

'I still tend to miss those days, honestly. How could I not? Those were the days that someone truly understood me and actually seemed to like my presence... '

 

'Alas, should I even speak? Those times were ages ago, and I was merely a young soul, too young to know the meaning behind such trivial things as "feelings".' 

 

'Nevertheless, why can I not seem to push such times from my memory?' 

 

 

He closed the book. He was done thinking about the past, for now. Hating leaving his entries unfinished for too long, he made sure to set a mental reminder to finish it later on that day. 

 

Laying back down, he sat the book by his lamp and turned out the light and closed his eyes. For the next ten to fifteen minutes, he tossed and turned, unable to get comfortable or clear his wandering mind. Sighing, he sat up again and rubbed at his eyes. 

 

12:35 a.m

 

Jungkook sighed again. Looks like a late night photo session for me... 

He quickly got ready, dressing and making sure he had his apartment keys, camera, and a light sweater before leaving. 

The night was dark yet beautiful. City lights brightened up the sky as he passed, blocking out the view of the stars.  

He looked through his camera lens and watched as the city passed him by, still busy at the late hour. He continued walking, looking for things he could get a nice shot of, but didn't really feel entranced by anything he'd seen so far. 

Continuing on his way, Jungkook finally seen something that caught his eye.

Street graffiti, and a ton of it. 

Now, he wasn't a huge fan of desecrated public property, but there was allurement in the way the art was portrayed. It wasn't mindless squiggles like you could see from a teenage delinquent looking for attention, no. This piece had an emotion that not everyone would comprehend, alas for some reason, it spoke to Jungkook. 

Getting down on one knee, Jungkook was about to take a picture when a crashing sounded in a nearby alleyway. He could hear harsh whispers follow. 

"So, you're the rat that's been alerting the others to our plan!" 

"N-no! I swear!" 

"Explain this, huh?! Go ahead and try to say this isn't you. Do you think I'm that stupid?!" 

Jungkook stayed low as he heard the whispers grow into that of yelling. How was no one reporting this? He looked around to see nothing but abandoned apartment buildings, no cars, and dimly lit street lights. There was trash littering the streets and every now and again one could see a few glimpses of animals passing by, but other than that, the town was dead.

Where was he? Jungkook had never seen this part of the city before, and quite frankly didn't want to see much more of it, either. But how did he even get here? Which way was the right way to get back? 

Thoughts raced through his mind at a mile a minute and only grew faster as he began to hear the sound of painful groaning fill the air in place of the yelling. 

He needed to get out of here. 

It was then his mind finally seemed to think clearly.

Jiyong. He could call Jiyong! 

Scrambling to get his phone out of his pocket, he quickly found his newly added contact and pressed the call icon. 

Backing up as to not be heard, he tried to catch his breath that only hitched once the sound of a phone ringing filled the night air. 

Wait. 

It was still there; the phone was still ringing. He looked to his phone to see only a few seconds had passed since he made the call. 

There was no way. 

Getting a sudden burst of curiosity that outweighed his fear, he followed the noise to that of the alleyway he was trying so hard to avoid, just moments earlier. 

This couldn't be right. That's what kept repeating in his head as he watched the figure of none other than the man he had spent his day with just hours ago pick up his phone and smile. 

He turned to the other male that was with him, talking low, before turning to answer his ringing phone. 

"Hello, Jungkook." 

His voice echoed as Jungkook's phone got a delayed reaction to the sound.

"Jungkook? Are you there?" The voice echoed again.

He didn't even put the phone up to his ear as he replied. "J-Jiyong…" 

Two pairs of eyes found him, then, both filled with that of confusion and shock. 

"Jimin-sshi, who is this guy? And why does he know my name?" The other guy asked, but Jimin didn't answer. His eyes were glued to the still figure that was Jungkook, mouth agape. 

"Hey! Can I help you, kid?" Jiyong tried again, but to no avail.

Jungkook turned and ran, dropping his phone, which was the least of his worries at that point. One thing kept replaying in his mind as he ran away. Not the sound of his name being called, not the guy laying on the ground, beaten and bloody, not the sight of his so called tour-guide-turned-friend with blood on his hands, no. Nothing but the name that had been haunting his dreams being said aloud. 

'Jimin'. 

_________

He didn't know how long he ran, but he didn't stop until he saw the familiar lights of the city. Placing his hands on his knees out of complete exhaustion, he tried his best to compose himself, as he knew he must've looked like a complete wreck to that of the very few people that were still out and about. 

Straightening himself, Jungkook walked to a twenty-four hour restaurant that was nearby. He still didn't know where he was, and after ordering a drink and resting for a bit, he asked and was pointed in the right direction. 

It felt like years had passed before he got home. Jungkook was beyond tired, but as he made his way to his bed, he found that he couldn't sleep. No matter how hard he tossed and turned, nothing helped soothe his aching mind. 

This really couldn't be happening, could it? What was the meaning behind this? Was this just a cruel joke meant to appease whatsoever force he must've angered in one way or another doing who knows what? 

No matter how hard he thought about it, Jungkook couldn't come up with anything. But he did know one thing for sure, and with that, he picked up his journal and began to write. 

 

July 16, 2016 continued, 

' Please, excuse my sudden absence, as I am too tired and strained to coherently continue my last written thought. '

'I believe the universe is against me, once more, dear journal. As I have found the vein to my existence, again.'

'He's not the same as I recall, though. He's more cunning, conniving, even. He's not the same young boy I met all those years ago.' 

 

A small find smile crossed his features, 

 

'That certainly was not who he used to be. The boy I knew was recognizable, and the man I saw tonight, I had never met before.'

'He was a complete stranger.'

'Yes, I know that time tends to change a person, although I never knew just how much one could change. They can change in looks, speech, and even attitude; but that leaves me to question, just what can cause a person to harm or even kill another?' 

'What had he gone through all those years ago to end up the person he is today?' 

 

His eyebrows suddenly furrowed in anger as emotions suddenly hit him, 

 

'Why am I even asking? Why should I even care? He left me all those years ago – not caring what I thought or how I felt! He just up and vanished! What kind of friend does that?'

'Certainly not one who says he cares, and especially not one who cares for you more than a friend.'

'No, you don't do that to someone you say you love.'

 

He took a calming breath,

 

'Excuse my outbursts of emotion. I … I just needed to get it expelled from my system and out of my thoughts. 

I know there is no excuse, but I rather have it all out in the open, here, rather than inside and crack at my seams.' 

'Because, what can I say?' 

 

He scoffed, 

 

  'The past tends to haunt.' 

 

 

Until next time, Journal. 

 

— Jungkook. 

 

______________

 

 

After their little encounter, things were not the same. Jungkook's days tended to blur together and nothing seemed as bright as it had once been. He began to ride the train more, as to not chance meeting Jimin on the streets once again, as that is what had led to them meeting. For it to be fate or chance, the young man couldn't bring himself to care much anymore as to what had brought them together, he wanted to know more as to why. 

Days has passed with no sign of Jimin. Jungkook didn't know if he should be happy about that or not. But it wasn't until Jungkook was returning home one day did he know that answer as he seen Jimin standing outside his door. 

"Jungkook, we need to talk." 

________________________________