it was always just a what if

(i wanna) be your morning baby


like an overused scene in one of too many movies, yoongi stole a kiss from his best friend and ran after that.

it was two weeks ago, and now yoongi has mastered the ability to avoid jung hoseok. it's surprisingly easy to avoid the younger. or rather, unsurprisingly easy. sometimes he forgets hoseok doesn't posses the ability to use indoor voice, he might be too used to hoseok's laughters which can be heard from meters away. and no, he's not even exaggerating.

yoongi curses under his breath when familiar laughters resounding in the library. library is supposed to be filled with only silence or maybe rustling sounds of pages being turned here or there. but of course the librarian, a sweet fifty something lady who lets yoongi sneaks a cup coffee or two, doesn't mind the noise from hoseok. jung hoseok. a sunshine who has the ability to get anything he wants. because you know, you don't deny sunshine. you absord its light and be ing grateful that you are allowed to soak in its grace.

yoongi's brain is almost fried from the force he put into thinking a way out without being seen by his best friend. (ex-best friend, a sound much like his own whispers from the back of his head.) he swallows down the ugly feeling and imagines the library's layout quickly.

five minute later, yoongi is already on his way to his favorite spot. this time, he's a hundred percent sure, the roof is deserted as always. he hasn't gone up there since two weeks ago, out of fear that a certain someone is sitting, waiting for him.

and no, it's not one of yoongi’s many irrational fears.

 

the day after the incident happened, yoongi's feet brought him straight from his dorm to their his hiding place. yoongi had always been living by habit, getting through boring days by letting his instinct and body taking control over him. but not that day. he managed to stop himself because there the boy was, the one whose lips touched his just yesterday, lounging on the unused couch that they usually shared together. he was beautiful, basking on the gentle morning light.

any other days, yoongi would grumble loudly about the harm of sunbathing and the likes. the boy would laugh and ask yoongi to join since hyung you are so pale, get some sun with me. yoongi would bite his tongue to stop blurting out that he had enough share of sunshine with the younger around. he would sigh like it's a burden to sit beside the laughing boy, but they would always end up sitting together, talking about everything and nothing.

it's a nice routine. a habit that he'd love to do for the rest of his life last year in school. but he had screw it up.

(it. whatever is the relationship between them.

them. is there even a them exist anymore between yoongi and hoseok at this rate?)

yoongi was afraid. (he still is). he was such a coward. (he really is). he didn't know what to do. (he seriously doesn't know). he stared at the boy. at hoseok who was glowing and shining. he turned around, tried to not make any sounds as he hurriedly climbing down the stairs.

 

the messages died down on the eighth day. the last voice note was sent to his kakao talk yesterday. it wasn't the snarky kind of message, the "hyung, you know there's this four alphabet word appears each time i message you?? wow hyung, technology! what is that? Ah!. R-E-A-D. " or the demanding and whiny, "hyuuuuuuung, where are youuuuuuuuu, i miss youuuuuuuu, answer meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

it was only a five seconds recording of hoseok sighing and saying, whispering, "hyung, please".

yoongi didn't get any sleep, replaying the voice note again and again and again, forgoing his english homework to listen to hoseok's voice saying "hyung, please" over and over and over.

"hyung, please" hoseok's voice ringing through his earphones. yoongi wanted to walk out of his room and run to hoseok's dorm, shaking the boy awake and asking please what?

please...stop avoiding me?
please...talk to me?
please...enough being childish?
please...kiss me?

he scowled at the last thought. there's no way hoseok wanted a repeated performance.


not with the way fresh tears started trickling down the younger's cheeks right after yoongi kissed him.
 

 

yoongi throws his body on the comfy couch. bless students council and their overwhelming budget. bless hoseok who managed to snag a perfectly fine couch with little to no effort. ing sunshine always charming people off of their pants with those wide smiles.

yoongi curses and shields his face from the glaring sun. it's almost lunch time and he's too hungry to push the couch to the shady part of the roof.

it's almost lunch time.

he needs to go away from here. hoseok will come to eat lunch. because yoongi might have been avoiding him like a plague, but it doesn't mean he isn't watching.

he watches hoseok refuses namjoon and seokjin's offer to eat lunch together. like always. maybe that's why their friends suspect nothing, naively thinking that hoseok eats with him. like always.

they probably don't know hoseok has eaten alone for the past weeks. dutifully shoves rice to his mouth from the too large lunch box he usually shares with yoongi.

and yoongi has been watching him. he keeps stopping himself from approaching the younger, eyes glued to the usually smiling boy who solemnly chewing his meal like it's a chore, frozen in front of the door and hurriedly running down the stairs once hoseok reaching out to the water bottle, a sign that the boy's had finished his lunch.

yoongi has been watching.

because he's a coward. a coward who doesn't dare take a step forward.

yoongi sighs, suddenly the sun isn't unwelcoming anymore. he needs his fair of sunshine anyway, right? since he so foolishly had pushed away his only source of light.

 

yoongi wakes up sweating. the couch cramped with two bodies. his and hoseok's. limbs tangled together.

he stares and stares and stares. he rubs his eyes and pinches his arm with his free hand. it's not a dream, yoongi suddenly not sleepy brain concludes. yoongi frowns, but he must be dreaming because he got a handful of sunshine drapped all over his body. the sunshine currently snoring softly, one cheek rested on yoongi's chest. and yoongi feels warmth spreading from where the contact made to his whole body. , his own cheeks feel hot as well. and no, he's not blushing, thank you very much. it must be the sun.

 

few minutes later, hoseok wakes up.
(truthfully yoongi doesn't know how many minutes has passed. few minutes? so many minutes? lots of minutes? time passes at different speeds for yoongi when hoseok with him.)

yoongi doesn't expect the first thing that hoseok will say is a ‘hey, do you like me?’. yoongi doesn't even get any chance to answer the question, when hoseok quickly adds, "like like boyfriends?". yoongi nods, staring down at the wide grin blooming on the younger's face.

their lips meet in a chaste peck.

and this time there's no tears trickling down hoseok's cheeks.