Kim Hanbin

Look At Me (ONE-SHOT)

 

You caught my eye the first time you walked in. You had that peaceful look, like you wouldn't want to be bothered by anything. You looked delicate like a rose and you were definitely my type.

"I'm Lee Hayi. Nice to meet all of you," you began and bowed in front of everyone.

After your introduction, you chose to take a seat away from the people just so you could have your time alone.

I heard the teacher begin his lessons but I was too busy looking at you to listen. Halfway through the lecture, you looked really sleepy. You accidentally hit your head in front of the table, but you didn't make a fuss about it and settled in a more comfortable position to sleep.

You looked like you didn't care about anything. And you wouldn't have seeing you have the guts to sleep while the teacher is just in front of you.

I was amazed. From then on, I knew you were different.

"Hey," I felt Mino hit me on the back of my head. "Listen, will you?"

Bobby who was on my other side, sent him a grin. "Forgive him; he's just too busy checking out the new girl."

I crossed my arms, all the while stealing a glance from your sleeping figure. You looked adorable by the way.

"I'm not checking the new girl out."

"Yeah, tell that to yourself," he retorted.

The bell rang and before I knew it, I found myself walking closer to you. I wanted to talk to you, to know you better.

You stood up too fast and hurriedly left the room. But I caught up behind you.

I put up the best smile I could muster and went closer to you. But before I could even talk, you disappeared through the crowd.

I felt a tap on my shoulder and it was from Mino. "Dude, what happened to you? You were out in a flash."

"I don't know what, but I think he's gonna get whipped soon," Bobby commented beside me with a teasing grin.

I didn't care what my friends were saying. I just wanted to hear your voice again.

-⚫️🔴⚫️-

I was in the library with my friends, begrudgingly dragged by Mino to get a project done long overdue.

I searched for a book to use. While searching, I found you, peacefully sleeping at one of the secluded area of the library.

You had a book covering your face and I chuckled seeing you like that. Why are you such a sleepyhead?

You turned in your sleep, subconsciously hugging yourself from the cold.

I didn't hesitate to remove my jacket and put it on your petite frame. If I were any other normal person, I would've woken you up. But you looked like you needed it so I let you be.

"Hanbin, where is the—"

I put my index finger on my lips and pushed Bobby away seeing as he almost stepped on you. I sent him an annoyed look. He was being careless.

"Wow, Hanbin. I'm all in on chivalry but I'm here to study, man," he remarked.

"Just tell me what you need."

I don't want to but seeing how Bobby gets clumsy, I voluntarily did what he wanted to pick up.

"Thanks man!" He showed me that toothy grin of his and left me.

I threw one last look at you before following him.

Back at our table, Mino looked like he was halfway done with his report. Bobby was just taking it easy, probably texting one of his girlfriends before opening the textbooks.

Mino glanced at me before going back to his papers. "Are you with that girl again?"

"He's golden, man. I tell you," Bobby stated gleefully.

I pulled a seat in front of them. "I just cared a little more. She doesn't know anyone around."

"Yeah, it's not like she'll talk to you or anything if you keep doing that..." Bobby's voice trailed off and exchanged looks with Mino.

Mino stopped writing and pulled out ₩5000 bill from his pockets. "I'll bet you ₩5000 Hanbin would just be his stupid self if he gets the chance to talk to her."

"Well, my friend," Bobby started as he also pulled out a crumpled ₩1,000 bill and put it at the table. "I'll bet you my money that he wouldn't even form a coherent sentence if he could talk to her."

Honestly, they sounded like dumb and dumber the more I hear them. They're wasting their time on useless things.

They didn't believe me that I can talk to someone beautiful like you, but I know I can.

If you just stop sleeping most of the time I see you.

-⚫️️🔴⚫️-

We were looking for a new vocalist to join our club. We were all rappers, so we needed a new vocalist badly.

We started the audition in no time. As the leader, it just makes my head ache. There were still no one around that could really pass up as our vocalist.

And then just as we were giving up, you entered the room.

You lit up the whole place when I saw you. I found myself smiling as you calmly took a seat in front of us.

"Take this one, Hanbin," Bobby quipped as the two sent me a grin. Their bet was still fresh on my mind, but I have to be professional.

"So, uhm..." I fiddled around the papers nervously. I didn't have to look at your application form to know your name, but I pretended to.

"Lee Hayi, right?"

You just nodded nonchalantly.

I prayed hard that you wouldn't notice me fidgeting as you stared at me like that.

"Uhm..." I cleared my throat as I could feel my mouth drying. "Okay... Uhm...."

Mino gave me a hard tap on the shoulder and looked at me weirdly. "Dude, what the hell?" he exclaimed silently, just for the three of us to hear.

From my other side, I could hear Bobby's suppressed annoying laugh. "I think we'll both win the bet, Mino. He looks stupid and can't even form a coherent sentence at the same time."

"Stop whispering, will you?" I hissed at the both of them to shut up.

I took a deep breath again. I felt like I was the one auditioning in front of you. "So, uh..." I didn't miss Mino's warning look so I composed myself from doing anything stupid. "—Let's hear your voice."

Silence was only the thing I heard from you. But you closed your eyes and started.

"Take a deep breath,
Until both sides of your heart get numb,
Until it hurts a little..."

My breath hitched. It was only a few lines but your voice already took me away.

We were all silent listening to you sing. Didn't you know you captivated the whole room with your voice alone?

There was some kind of sadness in your tone. And as I look at you sing, I wonder if you're feeling the same way.

When the entered, your voice went up higher. I was mesmerized. I didn't know you could sing this beautifully with grace.

"...Your sigh,
Even though I won't be able to understand its depth, it's okay,
I will embrace you,
Thank you so much for your hard work."

There was some kind of warmth after you ended the song. I just wanted to hear your voice all over again.

I felt Bobby's insistent taps on my back. "She's the one. She has to be the one, Hanbin."

I smiled a little. You were getting more interesting as I get to know more about you.

I didn't wait for the others to agree. You already caught my vote, my mind and my heart.

"Can we start rehearsing tomorrow afternoon?" I asked. You were still making me breathless.

You just nodded without saying anything and left the room when Mino prompted you to.

Your face still burned freshly on my mind. You looked vulnerable while singing, but soon as you stopped, you returned to being emotionless. Singing gives you color, gives you depth I've never seen before. You were a mystery waiting to be solved. And at that instance, I wanted to know why.

Bobby nudged me on the arm with a toothy grin plastered across his face. "Stop staring at the door. She's not coming back."

I honestly didn't notice I was doing that until he pointed it out.

"Well that was intense," Mino commented as he fix the papers on the table. "But let's wrap it up."

-⚫️🔴⚫️-

I couldn't take my mind off of you. Your voice slowly became my anthem.

I was walking across the hallway and even though there were many people around, I can still spot you across a mile.

You looked deep in thought. You almost bumped into Mino beside me if I didn't nudge him on time. You didn't notice and just passed me by. I was just another boy to you.

I exchanged looks with him. I knew he was weirded out by the ordeal but shrugged it off. "Let's go, Hanbin. I'm hungry."

"Wait for me." I nodded and followed him inside the cafeteria. Bobby was already sitting there.

Sitting a few tables back, I noticed you eating alone. I had the urge to join you if I just wasn't interrupted on time.

"Kim Hanbin sunbae."

I turned to look at the girl in front of our table. She looked like my junior. It was pretty evident that she was nervous. She moved her fingers along a pink envelope she was holding in her hands, fidgeting.

Bobby and Mino just threw me meaningful looks. I know what they were thinking.

She bowed and reached out her envelope with both of her hands. "Please accept my feelings."

A lot of people were already watching us. "Accept her! Accept her!" they started to chant.

I was taken aback at the girl's sudden confession. I instinctively looked towards you, just in time for me to see you fixing your things and exiting the cafeteria.

I was startled. I knew I lost my chance to talk to you.

I glanced at my friends for help but they were no use. Mino just shook his head while drinking his soda while Bobby was trying hard not to say something to mock my state.

I gave the girl in front of me a sincere apologetic smile. "I'm sorry."

I heard collective groans around me but I didn't pay much attention to it. All I cared about was you. Where did you go?

The girl left dejectedly with a slumped shoulder. Her friend dragged her away and in a moment, I felt guilty. But I couldn't accept her confession without a heavy heart. There was just one girl on my mind and that was you.

-⚫️🔴⚫️-

I scrunched my nose in confusion. I couldn't comprehend what was happening in front of me.

It was the first day of our rehearsals together. Mino and Bobby were already talking to you about something while there was a hint of a smile in your face.

I had to take a step back and admire you. You look better when smiling.

But I didn't forget the fact that the two buttheads were making you smile. I didn't even have the chance to talk to you but they were effortlessly doing that in front of me.

The two scrambled away from you like nothing happened. I sent them a look but I just shrugged it off. I understood that they have to welcome you first.

"Mino oppa," I heard you call out.

Mino oppa? OPPA?

My head swiftly turned around. What has he done to you?

You approached Mino and gave him something. I noticed how your fingers grazed his hand. I couldn't help but be envious of the bastard.

"It's bread. A thank you gift."

"Thanks."

After Mino, you went towards Bobby.

"Bobby oppa."

Bobby oppa? OPPA?? Since when did you get close to a ert like him?

Bobby turned around from working around his computer. You handed him the same thing you gave to Mino. "This is good for your health."

But I didn't mind. Maybe I'll also get something from you.

I looked at you expectantly, hoping to receive something. You caught my eye and understood what I was trying to say.

"Oh. Sorry. I forgot there was three of you..."

I felt like pulling out my hair. As if that wasn't worse enough, Bobby opened his bread and ate it in front of me, with a mocking look on his stupid face. I really had the urge to send him a flying kick, just so I could wipe off that stupid look on his stupid face. Stupid Bobby...

I tried to laugh it off casually, but inside I felt like being slit to shred. Bobby, I'll get you for this.

I forced out a smile in front of you. "I-It's okay. I could, totes buy from the store. No big deal..."

Bobby almost choked on his bread when he heard me say that word. Mino just stared at me wide-eyed and he looked like he wanted to hit me any moment now. I was also startled when totes came out of my mouth. At that moment, I wanted to throw up.

I couldn't help it. I get really awkward speeches around girls I like.

You just nodded meekly, looking charming as always. And right then and there, you made it up for my lost bread. Alright. I forgive you now.

"Let's start discussing, shall we?"

I glared at Mino. Didn't you see we were having our moment, hyung?

We all gathered around in a circle on the floor. We always do this because it helps us gather creative ideas for performances. The only difference was, you were with us.

Bobby and Mino were already sitting side by side, forcing us to sit together. Your scent alone was enough to awaken my senses.

"Don't you feel intimidated around us, Hayi?" Mino questioned as he shuffle through musical sheets.

"You seem like good guys."

"Then what do you think of Hanbin?"

Do I look like a bad guy to you, Bobby? Am I not included on those good guys, huh? Is that what you're trying to say?

Catching my look, Bobby quickly recuperated. "I mean, you still haven't talked to him yet."

Mino and I simultaneously turned to him. The hell is this guy doing trying to expose me?

You turned to look at me briefly and seeing you glance at me like that up close, made me gape. You really looked breathtaking.

"I'll get the chance to talk to him personally. Just not now. I think we'll be busy performing for the school festival."

The discussion started after. I've always dreamed we'd make it big, with world tours and all but for the first time after I created this club with these guys, I couldn't focus well. I get easily distracted with the thoughts of you. You being closer didn't help at all. Why are you torturing me like this?

You reached out to Mino who was beside me to get a music sheet. It made you get closer to me. Your scent got stronger, and I almost closed my eyes to savor the moment. The sudden move from you made my heart racing. It was only for a while but it made a lasting impression.

I received a hard kick from Bobby, breaking me out of my thoughts. Mino and Bobby were sending me warning glares. You were also looking at me questionably.

"What?"

"Are you even listening, Hanbin? I asked you if you want us to perform Born Hater without expletives for the opening act," Bobby said with a tinge of annoyance on his voice.

"Oh." I just nodded absentmindedly. "It's fine..."

Mino sneaked his hand at my back and pinched me hard. I exclaimed in pain.

I glowered at him. "Why'd you do that for?!"

"Quit acting like a damn lovesick , Hanbin," Mino silently hissed at me. He looked like he was on the brink of cursing me out.

I sighed. I was the leader of the group yet I keep acting like this. I shook my head. Focus, Hanbin. Focus.

Suddenly, you leaned your hand on top of mine, a frown marring your beautiful face. I felt your warmth with that single touch alone. "What's wrong?"

It didn't help the situation get any better. I could feel my ears getting hot.

"I-I-I'm fine."

I was shocked at that gesture and pulled my hand away, a choice I know I'd regret for the rest of my life and will think about for a lot of sleepless nights.

I sat up stiffly and looked away. You were staring at me at close proximity I had to avert my eyes. I was tempted to do something about your reddish lips.

I know I was already a creep with my thoughts but I didn't want to establish that side of me publicly to you. You'd get scared of me even more.

"Woah!" I exclaimed nervously as I wiped a bead of sweat running across my forehead. "It suddenly feels hot in here!"

I could see Mino shaking his head and Bobby face palming at my awkward gestures. I would be too.

Your eyebrows were creasing as you stared at me for a while.

She must think I'm a erted weirdo!

At that thought, I felt sweat trailing downwards to my neck. I gulped. I was being too obvious of a creep in front of her.

"Okay!" Bobby cried out, all too quickly before the situation gets more awkward. "We all agreed on Born Hater then?"

I was the only one nodding enthusiastically among the four of us. I just wanted this meeting to end. I don't want to get anymore deeper in the hole I dug myself into.

"Great. Now we can all go home."

You were the first one to get out of the clubroom. As you went away, I let out a long and remorseful sigh. I acted stupidly again in front of you.

The irritated expressions on my members faces were quickly replaced with mirth. They were laughing their off at my misery.

"What the hell was that man?" Bobby exclaimed as he wiped the tears forming on his eyes from laughing too much.

"This is why you never had a girlfriend, Hanbin," Mino then commented while tapping my chest with his hand, his sharp eyes disappearing from laughing with Bobby.

"Aish. Annoying kids... Just go. Go away."

Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want. But I'll get the last laugh when I get her... Someday.

-⚫️🔴⚫️-

I was at the library late at night. I had to get a report done before my deadline tomorrow.

I let out a yawn and stretched. It was boring without Bobby and Mino around.

As I walked deeper to get a reference book from one of the shelves, I was surprised to see you there. But it wasn't surprising that I caught you sleeping. Again.

I couldn't hold back a smile as I saw my jacket I gave to you last time hanging loosely on your shoulders. You were leaning your head against an open book on the table, probably slept reading.

I made a quick detour to the store outside the library to buy bread and a carton of milk. After I came back, I carefully placed it in front of you, hoping you'll see this after you woke up.

Studying can be pretty hardcore and tiring so I wrote in a piece of sticky note 'Fighting!' and pasted it on the milk.

Cheer up after you see this.

Satisfied, I went back to my table and continued doing my work.

-⚫️🔴⚫️-

I knew I'd find them in the clubroom.

Mino tapped his shoulder and gestured at me coming. In an instant, Bobby's expression fell. He knew what dip he dug himself to.

"YAH KIM JIWON!"

He knew I was in front of him, yet he became startled when I shouted his full name.

I immediately slung my arm around his shoulder and engaged him in a headlock.

"YAH! You little rascal..."

"Hyung! Hyung! Hyuuuungggg!!!" Bobby's desperate cries were just music to my ears.

"You didn't even tell me anything! You rascal! Do you want to die, huh? You want to, huh? HUH??"

"Hyung! Lemme explain!"

"EXPLAIN?!" My eyes almost bulged from their sockets. "What's there to explain you little shi—"

I heard Mino chuckle before interrupting me in mid-sentence. "Calm down, Hanbin. It was impromptu. Freestyle. He completely didn't know about it until both of their names got called on stage."

"Then what the hell is the babe exactly for?! You dare call her babe?!"

"Ack—HYUNG! Let go of me—"

"You turn into a self-righteous bastard calling me hyung now huh? ARE YOU GUILTY OF YOUR CRIME NOW??"

"Hyung! I was just riding the flow of the lyrics I swear!"

"BOBBY! Are you not telling me anything?! DO YOU LIKE HER? DO YOU??"

"Seriously! Hyung, I swear on my next girlfriend's heart I don't feel like that towards her!"

Bobby tried cheering me up, but I couldn't bring myself to be happy with his antics. I was too upset over the fact that he had a duet with you. With you of all people.

I scowled but even that couldn't mirror what I was feeling inside.

"Bobby?"

I immediately let go of Bobby's head as soon as I heard that angelic voice. You walked inside the clubroom with Mino in tow.

Aish. That Mino... Ruining my revenge...

"What's the commotion all about? Mino said something about you two fighting," you remarked inquisitively.

"Hayi! Hanbin almost choked me to death because he likesBLEURGHMMPH!!!"

I shut the bastard's big nosy ugly mouth before he could say anything dangerous.

Your eyebrows just furrowed. "I don't understand you."

I felt Bobby's mouth squirm under my hand and bit me. I yelled in agony.

"He likes—GRRMPHH!"

Since he wasn't shutting his mouth, I tackled him on the ground. I didn't care if you were watching me like this, my pride's at stake here.

I sat on his back. He was wriggling under my thighs, making it harder for me to remove my jacket.

"Uhm... Hanbin..."

I succeeded in tying my jacket around his mouth with much difficulty. Now he will not have the ability to tattle again.

"MRMFFPPGRRRMPH!"

I smirked in victory. That'll teach him.

"...Hanbin?"

I immediately turned to you. Crap.

Why do I always mess up in front of you?

"I... Uh..." I began, at a loss of words. What am I supposed to say now?

I suddenly found myself looking at you. There was amusement written all over your face, but your lips were slowly curving into a smile. It made my heart skip a beat, and I found myself surrendering to your charms.

I can't do this.

I ruffled my hair in frustration. "Aish."

I didn't have the heart to tell you exactly why I was like this, what you were making me feel. And it makes me feel like an idiot, stumbling all over the place whenever I'm in front of you.

I don't have the chance to be with you, to even breathe the same air as you. You deserve someone better than a coward like me.

And with that thought, I left the room. I went to a remote place, secluded from all the commotion and bustle. I'll sulk wherever I want; no one's gonna notice and no one's going to care.

I was disheartened. I felt empty. Everything is just so wrong. All these time, I wanted to impress you, but I've done nothing else rather than looking like a total idiot. I didn't know how to act around you, and in turn made me lose chances to get closer to your heart. I know I don't look cool anymore in your eyes because I'm just that useless little prick that takes out his frustration to his best friend rather than actually telling you how I feel.

"Breathe in deeply,
until both sides of your chest get numb, until they start to hurt a little,
Exhale more, that there's nothing left inside of you, until you feel like that,
It's okay if your breath gets short, no one is blaming you."

I stopped brooding and my ears perked up. You had a unique voice and I'll notice it right away in a heartbeat.

I feel overwhelmed with your presence. You have the habit of catching me whenever I'm at my weakest.

I didn't say anything and just stared at you, wondering why you're here at this place.

You silently took a seat beside me, even if your clothes get soiled by the sand. The waves across the ocean echoed silently in the background, and it was the only thing keeping me from going crazy at the sight of you.

"Did you know why I joined your club?" you suddenly asked out of the blue.

I leaned my head against my knees, choosing to look at the sand beneath my feet. I wanted to avoid looking at you as best as I can because I know, it will make things harder for me.

I wanted to say 'Just go', to sort these out but what to do? I was getting comfortable with your presence already.

You stared at me for a while then broke out into a smile. "Because I like you."

I know I should be happy, but I felt gloomier than ever.

"I'm weak. I don't deserve to be with you. You're far too perfect, and I'm far from being perfect. We don't match. We will never match. I'll be that ugly duckling beside the swan. You don't need someone like me in your life. I'll make you unhappy and I never want you unhappy. Go be happy with someone else. It'll hurt for a while but at least I'll see you smiling brightly—"

You caught my lips in a kiss before I could continue any further. I felt fireworks exploding as you did that. You made my heart race again. I wasn't really aware of what was happening, what you were doing to me. But suddenly, it clicked. And this moment only mattered.

I closed my eyes and I completely took over. I held your cheek and deepened the kiss. You don't know how much I've wanted to do this every time I get closer to you. I was craving for your kiss... yearning for your touch. But you made me feel alive at this moment.

I poured all those frustrations I've felt during the last few weeks. Your touch felt heavenly, and I couldn't help but go crazy. I don't want to go back. I like you and maybe at this point I'm already falling in love with you. And soon I'll be at that stage where I couldn't really go back. I'm loving every second of the day I see you. You don't know the happiness I feel whenever I see you. But I want to be the one who'll make you smile. I don't want anyone else. I just want you.

It's over. The kiss both left us panting. You leaned your head against my forehead. I was tempted to kiss you again, but I was afraid that I'll scare you if I gave in.

You looked at me with those sparkling eyes, carrying the same innocence it had when I first met you. The only difference was, you looked happier than ever.

"You're too stubborn to notice that I don't care, Hanbin. I like you. Isn't that what matters the most?"

You were still breathless, but you still looked beautiful in my eyes. Everything about you is beautiful.

I sent you a sincere smile and muttered a soft apology. I just couldn't believe you could be mine.

"How can you like me? I mean, I've done nothing but still looked foolish to you."

You just sent me a grin and held out your hand. "Hold my hand and we'll take off like an airplane."

I laced my fingers through yours and held tightly. I'm afraid this could all be just a dream to me.

You led the way and the walk was making my heart at ease. You were real and it was true that you like me back. You'd glance at me every now and then, with a shy and nervous look painted across your face. I saw a tinge of a blush creeping on your cheeks, and you looked more adorable.

You took me back to the school, to the locker area. I looked at you doubtfully until you stopped at one and opened it. There was nothing on it except a neatly folded cloth and some paper on top of it. You picked it up.

Looking closer, it was the jacket I gave to you when you were cold. The word 'Fighting!' was scribbled messily on the paper. It was my handwriting.

"I know it was always you, Hanbin. I just didn't want you to know because I kind of like how you approach me like this."

I could feel my ears getting red. I didn't expect you to appreciate my effort. I really thought it was a one-sided love.

"You cared even though no one told you to. You made me feel special. I was going through rough times and your way of expressing your feelings made me grow fond of you. Until I couldn't help but take notice. Didn't you know you were always too obvious? I'd always catch you staring at me but you shrug it off like it was no big deal. I'm always told I'm not good at expressing emotions well and maybe that is the reason why I kinda threw you off. But apart of being your awkward self, I know you were trying your best for me and I thank you for that."

I sent you a grin. I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting worked up about this.

"Do you believe me now?"

I nodded. My hold on you only got stronger. I didn't want to let you go.

We started walking along the halls. Does this mean we're official now?

"Hanbin."

"Hmm?" I responded absentmindedly, still getting drunk with your scent.

"How do we tell this to your friends?"

Mino and Bobby's face appeared on my mind for a while then snickered.

"Let's go to the clubroom while holding hands. That'll surprise them."

You laughed at my remark but followed me anyways.

I was already thinking about the days I'll spend with you. But for now, let's live for today.

THE END.

Author's Note: I'm glad you survived the cringe-worthy moments XD If you're a HanHi fan, do check out my other story, Safe Haven (THREE-SHOT) ^_^