Chapter 3

Forever at your service, princess

Ringing the bell nervously, she silently prayed the Ice princess was out. Not that she was THAT scared of the older princess, okay fine, she might just be dead scared to deal with her and get her llama kicked before she could even see Krystal. Still thinking of ways to get out of that scenario, if it ever happened in the first place, she heard footsteps shuffling before the doorknob was turned. Screaming in joy (just in her head), she bowed and greeted the lady in front politely, showing her trademark toothy grin.

“Annyeonghaseyo auntie Jung! Have you been well?”

“Oh Amber! Good afternoon. It’s been a while right? I’m great, how are you dear?”, and auntie Jung opened her arms widely for a hug, patting her back affectionately.

The whole Jung household adores Amber, well perhaps with the exception of a certain Ice princess, but we already know that. The fact that Amber loves taking care of their little princess certainly is endearing to them, knowing how hard it is for the younger girl to deal with the cold harsh entertainment world. And with Amber often come over to their place no matter if it’s business-related or not, they’ve naturally grown fond of the fellow American-born member of f(x).

After their short conversation of catching up, auntie Jung finally noticed a rather large plastic bag Amber had with her. Pointing to that suspicious looking item, she raised a brow, teasing the girl.

“Are you trying to bomb us? What’s inside that bag?”

Amber chuckled amusedly and quickly defended herself.

“No no of course not! I still love my life very much. Don’t want to myself on the news tomorrow for bombing a royal castle in Seoul haha! These are for Soojung, auntie.”

“For Soojung…?” She questioned again, obviously confused.

“I figured it must be stressful for her these days, so I’ve brought food!”

Once she untied the plastic bag, auntie Jung was in awe. There were beef, lettuce wrap, burritos, mangoes, bread, more mangoes, and more beef.

“Oh my god Amber you don’t have to do this!!! It’s too much!!” She squeaked, finally looking up.

“Can I ask for a favor auntie?” She asked quietly, one hand coming up to rub the back of her neck, trying straightening the nonexistent hair.

Auntie Jung smiled sweetly, taking the whole bag with her before standing up to put things away in the pantry.

“You don’t have to, she’s in her room. Go talk to her.”

Amber’s eyes lit up almost immediately, trying to hide a smile but the trademark adorable chuckle already made a triumphant comeback.

“SHE IS?”

Nodding her head, she motioned to shoo the girl away.

“Don’t make me repeat after myself. Go.”

Jumping out of her seat excitedly, Amber bowed and skipped her way upstairs, only to halt her steps when her ears picked up something she was longing to hear.

“Oh Amber? She’s not dating anyone.”

 


She was certain she could do this, yet standing in front of the younger girl’s bedroom door, her entire body suddenly froze. Her limbs wouldn’t move for some stupid reasons. She already knew the whole dating thing was a fraud, so what was there to be hesitant of? Taking a deep breath, she gently knocked on the door, her voice cooing just loud enough for the princess to hear.

“Soojung ah? It’s Amber. Are you awake?”

No answer.

Of course that wouldn’t do. If it was that easy, she wouldn’t have bought so many of the girl’s favorite food. No one says no to food, that’s a fact. If a girl says she doesn’t want food, that’s a lie. If she says she only eats salads, stop courting her. You don’t need that kind of skinny liar in your life. But that’s not the point here.

Amber swore she heard shuffling noise inside for a millisecond and she knew she got the girl’s attention, even though she was too stubborn to open the door. Time to switch to llamaber’s annoying mode.

“I come in peace ~ I’ve brought mangoes and delicious pastry for the princess~”

Still nothing.

“How to console sad person: Lay blanket out. Pick up sad person. Lay sad person on the blanket. Roll them like a sushi… oh wait, burrito is better. Roll them like a burrito. Place sad person in a comfy place. Hug them close. Put on roll’s favorite movies and shower roll with mangoes and bread ~”

By then Amber had already sat down, her back against the door, loudly narrating a tweet she came across a few days before. A low snicker rang through her eardrums and she grinned triumphantly. Almost there ~

She stopped for a moment and thought of what to do next. Food? Check. Annoying her? Done. Ah-ha! Singer Ber’s coming ~

 

Inside the room, Krystal had already sat up on her bed, arms hugging her bolster tightly. She found the whole thing cute, and Amber was being stupidly cute/annoying as ever. She had already given in and was about to get up and open the door when she heard Amber’s voice singing.

And I just wanna say

Naega marhago shipeun geon, neoneun igeoman aradwo

(What I want to say is, please know this)

An joheun iri isseodo, naneun hangsang yeongwontorok
(Even if something bad happens, forever I will)

I got your back girl your back girl your back baby
I got your back girl your back girl your back baby

Niga apeul ttae, nunmul heullil ttae

(When you’re hurt, when you cry)

Naneun ni gyeote eonjena isseojulge
(I will always be by your side)

Gomin isseul ttae, naega deureojulge
(When you’re worrying about something, I’ll listen)

Geunyang jeonhwahamyeon dwae
(All you have to do is call)

I got your back baby

 

As Amber hit the last note, the door behind her flung open and she abruptly fell back having nothing to lean on. The next thing she knew, she was being beaten up violently by the princess herself, with a pillow.

“Stupid, stupid Amber!!”

Despite being on the floor and supposedly in disadvantage, Amber grabbed both of Krystal’s hand to stop her harassment, pulling the girl on top in for a tight hug. Krystal sobbed quietly into the crook on her neck, arms slowly tightened around the older girl to return the hug.

Without warning, Amber stood up, taking the younger girl with her, the little princess’ legs automatically came up to wrap around Amber’s waist to avoid falling off.

“Y-yah! What are you doing stupid?”

Amber easily brought her over to the middle of her bed and laid her down on the blanket, shrugging nonchalantly.

“Taking care of a sad person.”

In half a second, Krystal was already wrapped in her blanket with only her head visible. She indeed very much resembled a burrito right then, a very pretty, non-edible burrito that was.

 “Oh my god Am! You’re such a child!” Hearing her laugh, Amber moved immediately to stop the girl from rolling and looked at her lovingly, her fingers slowly caress the younger girl’s hair.

“Thank God you’re okay.” Her dark brown orbs shone through her messy fringe that made Krystal itch to fix it like she usually did, but poor burrito, sad person could do nothing but rolling around.

Eventually, she made her way out of the blanket and smacked Amber’s head loudly.

“Hey I’m still older than you princess! Be nice!”

Krystal paid zero attention to that. Instead, she moved next to where Amber was sitting and rested her head onto the older girl’s shoulder. Amber froze by reflex, but quickly snapped back and brought her arms up to pull the girl closer.

They stayed in that position for God knows how long. The silence was comforting and none of them wanted to break it however, the princess just had to speak up.

“Are you not gonna ask anything?”

Feeling the older girl shaking her head, she lifted her own to see Amber smiling warmly at her. Staring into her eyes, Krystal tried to search for any sign of hesitation but all she saw was certainty and great affection.

“..Why? You’re not mad?”

Shaking her head once again, Amber answered, her voice low but clear.

“Because it’s you. And I trust you.”

She didn’t need further explanation. It was Amber, her loyal servant, her groupmate, her fellow American, her safe haven all these years speaking. There was no need for fancy words (tho the title ‘princess’ alone is already fancy enough, but then again, it was Amber’s, so she coolly accepted and instantly grew fond of it), for her, actions speak a lot louder. With Amber right next to her that very moment was enough.

To Amber’s confusion, Krystal broke out of her hold and before she could open to protest, the younger girl had laced their fingers together, her free arm tighten around Amber’s biceps. Sighing contently, Krystal spoke quietly.

“Thanks Am… That means a lot to me.”

Normally, in a moment like this, being so close to a goddess (Krystal didn’t mind being called that, at least not straight to her face), one would savor the moment in silence. But Amber was Amber. The loyal servant to this only princess, just had to ruin it by being her annoying (but cute) self yet again.

“Pfftt. No kidding. Who would dress like that to a date? And stealing my long padded jacket too? Very convincing there, Krys.”

What happened next? You got it right. A whole hand print was probably visible on Amber’s shoulder despite being covered by a hoodie. Note to self: If you were to annoy a Jung, better train yourself in Track & Field first. They hit hard, and fast.

“Yah stupid! You didn’t have to be an about it! I…I was cold... and manager oppa said it was in the car…”

She didn’t know why she was stuttering, nor did she know why she felt embarrassed. They were used to share things all the time, it was just a jacket anyway, no biggies right?

“Ohhhhh… so Kai’s flannel couldn’t keep you warm enough?” Still teasing, though she felt light-headed at the fact Krystal preferred her jacket over her “date” ‘s, she managed to keep that evil grin on her face.

Rolling her eyes, Krystal scooted back a little to rest on the headboard.

“I was wondering why it reeked of llama smell out of anything else.” She snickered when the older girl chuckled. Turning to her right to face Amber, her voice hesitant, but clear.

“Hey Am, listen…”

Sensing what was about to happen, Amber cut her words right away.

“No, don’t. You don’t have to, Krys.”

Krystal looked down onto her hand and reached out to squeeze Amber’s, her eyes pleading.

“I want to… please Am… just hear me out…”

Sighing dejectedly, she knew she couldn’t go against the princess’ wish, so she nodded lightly, bracing herself for whatever that was coming.

“Okay. I’m all ears.”

 


Once she was done telling Amber everything that happened, she had her head leaning on the older girl’s shoulder again, back to the position before. Noticing Amber was unusual quiet, she lifted her head up to stare at her handsome side profile when the jittery feeling in her stomach made a vibrant comeback. With her cheeks heating up, she sat straight up, purposely letting her hair felt loosely to cover that blush.

 “Why didn’t you tell any of us before?? Why did you have to suffer alone and get yourself thrown under the bus??”

Krystal froze momentarily. She didn’t expect the playful Amber would explode like that. Amber was even surprised herself. Never did she think her voice would turn out that way.

Ruffling her hair in frustration, she let that hand cover her face to calm herself down before looking at Krystal in the eyes.

“You’re a huge part of f(x) Soojung. We never want to see you hurting alone like this. Vic unnie and Luna wouldn’t want it…”, she paused and cupped Krystal’s face with both of her hands, “I wouldn’t want you hurting for us like this. We decide on things together, oh?”

Nodding into Amber’s warm palms, she brought her hands up to place them over Amber’s own hand, whispering low.

“Why are you so good to me Am?”

Now it was Amber’s turn to blush. Before the younger girl could see her cheeks turning to a darker shade of pink, she ruffled Krystal’s hair and laughed nervously.

“Because you are our princess, right? And I’m the servant. It’s my sole duty to make sure your majesty is not harmed.”

But who was she kidding? Krystal had seen right through that. The warm gaze whenever she took care of the younger girl, her reassuring words that she would always be there. Everything was suddenly crystal clear at the moment, and she was rather pleasantly surprised to know the answer to that.

Amber was still awkwardly facing the other way when she felt cold lips placing gingerly on her left cheek and stayed for a few seconds. Slowly turning her head back, she was utterly shocked. Krystal had casually kissed other members’ cheeks before, in a playful way, but Amber? That was definitely the first time ever.

“Love you, stupid.”

Amber wasn’t sure if it was the sun shining through the bedroom’s velvet curtain or she was just blinded by Krystal’s radiant smile. In front of her, there was no usual shy princess, no expressionless Krystal of f(x) but Jung Soojung, the girl she had been hopelessly, helplessly in love ever since she stepped into that practice room as an official member of Asia’s pop dance group, f(x).

Hoping it wasn’t just her hallucinating, she just had to ask the younger girl.

“Why did you do that?”

Krystal raised an eyebrow, almost face palming at that moment.

“Oh god Amber. I know you were stupid but never thought you were THIS dense.”

Amber grabbed her hands and pulled her right back when she motioned to stand up.

“NO!! I mean… how…?”

Letting out another sigh, gosh she already lost track of how times she had sighed since she let this stupid llama into her room, she squatted in front of Amber and played with the older girl’s fingers.

“I’ve always liked you, you know? At first, I found the whole princess-servant deal was cute. You were always there, whether in person or in spirit, reassuring me that everything would be just fine. You helped me realize there were so much more in this cold industry. You’re just always so positive and affectionate and…”

Amber tried, she swore she was trying hard to appreciate the princess’ sincere confession but she couldn’t resist her cute ranting, and ended up laughing, which had Krystal widened her eyes in shock.

“YOU..WHY.ARE.YOU.LAUGHING??” For every single syllable, Amber received a slap on every single body part Krystal’s hand came in contact with.

“Ow ow sorry princess, that was just too cute.” Trying to block the princess’ attacks, she laughed.

 To Krystal’s surprise, she was flipped over, Amber sealing her lips in a searing kiss.

 


They were now sitting up in the middle of the king-sized bed, Krystal leaning her back onto Amber’s chest, their hands intertwined.

“Am…”

“Hmm?” She hummed, her nose still buried in Krystal’s hair, taking in her scent.

“Where do we go from here? I mean, with the dating news just released?” Krystal popped the question nervously, careful with her choice of words.

“You’re still princess and I’m the servant.” Amber answered matter-of-factly, only to have the younger girl turning around, breaking their intimate hug.

“You don’t mind?”

Shaking her head, Amber pinched her cheeks lightly. “Silly girl, why would I? I don’t wanna rush things. I’m sure of my feelings for you, and I’m perfectly fine with how things are right now. Besides, even if it did hurt me at first, it’s still just an act, nothing more.”

Krystal leaned closer and rested her head onto Amber’s chest, letting out a deep sigh of contentment.

“What have I done to deserve someone like you…?”

Amber gasped, her eyes widened, acting shocked.

“You don’t know?? How dare you??”

Slapping her arm, Krystal stiffened a light laugh, hugging her close.

“I love you Am. I really do.”

She waited but there was no answer. Annoyed, she was about to break the hug but caught off guard by Amber’s singing.

 

I just wanna love you, give me that chance wanna hold you

Baby you know that I need you, I need you

And I’m wondering all the time ~

If you love me, come on over get to know me,

Baby cause I know you need me, you need me

And I want you in my life ~ yeah yeah ~

 

Just when she was about to get cheesier, Jessica’s voice rang through the hallway.

“Soojung! Amber! Dinner’s ready!!! And stop being a cheeseball you llama!”

Laughing, the servant pulled her princess up, fingers wrapped around each other’s.

“Let’s go princess, I brought beef too~.”

Stopping when they reached the stairs, Amber turned and grinned.

“Oh Krys? It was actually your mom who told me you were not dating.”

And the llama earned herself a slipper in the head as she sprinted downstairs.